• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is not praised enough.

I have seen quite a few threads claiming that critics go too easy on Nintendo and don't review their games to the same standard as its competitors.
I think the opposite is true. I think we are too lenient on Microsoft and Sony. I have been playing the Series X and the PS5 solely for the last couple of months but I have just gone out and purchased Mario Wonder and it was like a slap to the face. Not does the game look really good, not just good for a switch game but good period. Not only that, but you can go and buy the game physically and without a single update and any installation you can just get straight to playing the the game in about 2 minutes on mobile hardware from 2015. When was the last you could do that. You could play this game in 30 years and it will be just as great as it doesn't need an update. One day we will be stuck with the Launch code of Forbidden West with all the bugs and the really bad performance mode.
I have been enjoying Spider Man 2 but it is more of a DLC than Tears if the Kingdom is. I remember the accusations that TOTK is glorified DLC because it reuses the same map so what is Spider Man 2 then....I see the opposite being true.

Edmund

iRAwnVC.png

Akuji

Ur wrong. But thats fine. enjoy the nintento games they are great.

Everything else nintendo sucks. Also Nintendo franchises are literally the only ones i accept myself to believe in "nintendo bonus" its not enough to make bad games review like great ones. But i feel like 2-3 metacritic points are quite realistic

Robb

Gold Member
I’d like to think that everything you mention is intentional but I can’t help but wonder if it’s just Nintendo lagging behind the rest as usual (like they used to with paid online) and that they’ll catch up with all these crap practices next-next-gen or something.

That said, I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think they should be praised for knowing how to manage itself. People love working in Nintendo, and the company doesn't need to buy talent they foster talent which is great for them. You see it with their approach to Wonder where they allowed ideas to flourish into reality by everyone on the team, and they took their time as well.

It's also great they "sit" on ready games, because every other team can relax knowing there's less pressure to push something out.

BbMajor7th

They get heaps of praise for their games - especially the IP tentpoles, all well deserved; they do get praise for their hardware innovation too. They also get criticism for their consumer approach at times, the crummy online infrastructure, overzealous attitude to fan content and the lack of some really basic functionalities in their ecosystem. That seems healthy to me.

Just to reiterate my original post. The point I am making is just a simple one that Nintendo does things that 20 years ago was the norm and we just take it for granted. I just saw a thread recently about how all of Spider Man 2 is on the disc you bought and people were praising that fact. Pretty much ever Nintedo game is complete on the physical cartridge/card you buy. It would be bizzare if it wasn't, but nobody says isn't it great they still do it. Mario Wonder isn't just like Super Mario World because the game is similar but because it's like physically playing the Super Nintendo, which we have all forgotten as there was a time before 100gig updates and to still have a buggy mess at the end of it. Everyone just accepts the way games are now and so have I to a point.

But games are the only thing that matters.
Maybe if you're a pirate and run your Switch games on a high-end PC. Not so much if you gotta deal with shitty controllers that need repair every 6 months and ungodly load times for those ungodly Breath of the Wild textures. Also this is one of the best gaming years ever and outside of exclusives, Switch can't run any of the toprated games. If things like hardware didn't matter, then they might as well just keep making NES games lol.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
- shit 10 year old hardware for premium price
- very low first party output counting on full priced re-releases of last gen games to fill their quotas
- shit online

They do release some 10/10 gens every now and then... ill give then that ... but doing competent bug free games with 10 year old tech is pretty easy ..... especially when you take 06 years between games on their premium franchises

Just to reiterate my original post. The point I am making is just a simple one that Nintendo does things that 20 years ago was the norm and we just take it for granted. I just saw a thread recently about how all of Spider Man 2 is on the disc you bought and people were praising that fact. Pretty much ever Nintedo game is complete on the physical cartridge/card you buy. It would be bizzare if it wasn't, but nobody says isn't it great they still do it. Mario Wonder isn't just like Super Mario World because the game is similar but because it's like physically playing the Super Nintendo, which we have all forgotten as there was a time before 100gig updates and to still have a buggy mess at the end of it. Everyone just accepts the way games are now and so have I to a point.
There's more to this industry than Activision/Ubi/EA and Nintendo. Companies like Capcom, FROM, Sega, etc. still deliver very polished day1 games with great gameplay.

While Nintendo has more than enough anti-consumer practices going on, that they deserve all the shit they get. Not like they need to care anyway with their current profits. Makes it all the more weird to go all white knight for them, despite all the red flags beyond their occasional above average game. I'd get it if you're an investor. Otherwise, you kinda forget what side you're on, man.

Last edited:

Regginator

Nintendo is a company that make me have whiplash from time to time. To reconcile this, I've decided to see Nintendo the Game Developers as separate entities to Nintendo the Storefront and Hardware Manufacturer. The former is literally the greatest of all time, bar none. The latter is always 10-15 years behind the industry standards.

Hard disagree. They’re incredibly good at making software and they’re constantly recognized for it. They get more than their fair share of praise.

cripterion

Not really... They keep milking the same franchise and their hardware sucks... yeah I'm still sour 5 out of 6 joycons are straight up broken.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the Switch 2 though but as it stands even my kids rather play PS5 than the Switch what with the shitty joycons and games with outdated graphics.

- shit 10 year old hardware for premium price
- very low first party output counting on full priced re-releases of last gen games to fill their quotas
- shit online

They do release some 10/10 gens every now and then... ill give then that ... but doing competent bug free games with 10 year old tech is pretty easy ..... especially when you take 06 years between games on their premium franchises

Yup

Last edited:
Top Bottom