• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is once again the larger company than Sony

Gaming division is a very small part of Sony. Its important, but not so important for Sony if it succeed or fail.

TV, consumer electronics, film are much more important sectors for Sony.

Nintendo is singularly focused on gaming for the most part.
I believe the only division that has made them any money so far this year has been the gaming division of Sony. Even if they don't cut Consumer electronics they need to reevaluate it. Clearly CES hasn't gotten investors excited about the new line of products they just announced, which is a problem. At this point their basically just keeping up with trends, and believe me. I don't want to see Sony disappear. That wouldn't be good for the games market, but they have a lot of hard choices on what to focus on and promote.

Schnozberry

Also, market cap is the value of issued Stock. It doesn't include the value of assets or cash on hand. It's not a complete picture of what a company is worth.

Ecotic

It really is amazing how stupid investor's conventional wisdom can be. Activist shareholder Dan Loeb tried to get Sony to spin off its movie division and investors got all excited even though people who knew better knew Sony was never going to listen to that guy. Sony released a polite press release saying no and that's the best change he managed.

Nintendo missing the Wii U sales forecast next earnings report is going to hit investors like a sack of bricks because Nintendo still publicly insists they can hit it. People like us know better. If Nintendo doesn't announce any change in overall strategy their stock will drop 10% on the first day and probably bleed out another 10-25% in the following weeks.

jblank83

19 billion, huh? Well, obviously Nintendo should release a Wii U without a GamePad and then release a new console next month but then they should go 3rd party mobile focused with smartphone Pokemon on PS4.

injurai

Banned
When compared to other video game related companies...

kynB09W.png

Edit. Activision-Blizzard: 12.74B

damn, didn't know Namco-Bandai was that big, let alone Konami and Capcom being bigger than Ubi and Take-Two. Certainly though Acti-Blizzard eclipses all of the third-parties which I don't see at all.

I believe the only division that has made them any money so far this year has been the gaming division of Sony.

Their insurance division is by far their most successful division right now.

Gaming honestly isn't as big for Sony as you guys want to think it is.

Tripon

I believe the only division that has made them any money so far this year has been the gaming division of Sony. Even if they don't cut Consumer electronics they need to reevaluate it. Clearly CES hasn't gotten investors excited about the new line of products they just announced, which is a problem. At this point their basically just keeping up with trends, and believe me. I don't want to see Sony disappear. That wouldn't be good for the games market, but they have a lot of hard choices on what to focus on and promote.

The revenues Sony gets from games is small compared to their TV and film divisions. That's why when those sectors do poorly it affects Sony's stock much more starkly the gaming division doing well.

faridmon

Sony needs to cut the three bolded items and possibly cut cameras, or seriously shrink that division.

Nooooooooooooooooo

Not Music. Do you know how huge Sony Music is? Especially in Japan? They are being supported by the biggest bands and artists over there that sells huge amount of copies.

gogogow

Sony needs to cut the three bolded items and possibly cut cameras, or seriously shrink that division.

Eh....and not TV's? That division is losing them a shitton of money. The first thing Kaz Hirai should've done is to nuke that division. But he didn't and still want to compete with likes of Samsung and LG. Well, good luck.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
damn, didn't know Namco-Bandai was that big, let alone Konami and Capcom being bigger than Ubi and Take-Two. Certainly though Acti-Blizzard eclipses all of the third-parties which I don't see at all.

Activision Blizzard recently split off from Vivendi.

It really is amazing how stupid investor's conventional wisdom can be. Activist shareholder Dan Loeb tried to get Sony to spin off its movie division and investors got all excited even though people who knew better knew Sony was never going to listen to that guy. Sony released a polite press release saying no and that's the best change he managed.

Nintendo missing the Wii U sales forecast next earnings report is going to hit investors like a sack of bricks because Nintendo still publicly insists they can hit it. People like us know better. If Nintendo doesn't announce any change in overall strategy their stock will drop 10% on the first day and probably bleed out another 10-25% in the following weeks.

Isn't that partly why they're investing, Nintendo kind of has to change strategies missing forecasts that badly, unless they're being extremely silly and stubborn but Im sure even Iwata would be able to whether that storm.

StoopKid

That's just not true.

Pingoreous

And yet Sony is in a ton more industries then Nintendo.

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Videogame handheld Hardware
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

I think they stretching themselves thin. The PC and consumer camera market are dying. That's the only things i they can cut at this point. IBM got rid of their consumer PC arm, investor keep asking HP to do the same and concentrate on services. People are just no buying consumer PC as mobile phones have replace most of the uses.

They're the comparative Scrooge Mcduck, they could but they don't want to.

Nintendo has been so successful because they've been a master at simultaneously conserving money and growing profits, most notably during the Wii era.

They have a large cash position and no debt, unlike Sony.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nintendo has been so successful because they've been a master at conserving money and growing profits, most notably during the Wii era.

They have a large cash position and no debt, unlike Sony.

Like I said Scrooge Mcduck, Staying rich can simply involving conserving and minimising costs. Scrooge isn't rich for no reason. It's a common trait for many that have amassed and continue to amass wealth.

Coxy

as long as nintendo meets their projected 9 million Wii U sales for the year that should hold solid

Oriel

And that 18 billion dollars is EXACTLY why the Nintendo Wii U is here to stay

Their current valuation reflects more on the runaway success of the 3DS than the WiiU. In fact Nintendo would probably be worth more if not for the dead weight of their console.

Pingoreous

Umm no. Movies, and music are two of their money makers they get a ton of royalties from them. And cameras? No as well

Yeah i agree. Movies and music are not going away. The professional cameras from SONY are amazing and most movies,TV and broadcast are done with Pro SONY cameras. People are not buying consumer cameras with the proliferation of cellphones. Cellphones are killing PC and dedicated consumer cameras.

Fandangox

Yet whenever the topic comes up about competing with Sony, you almost always hear "they can't afford to compete on technology" or "they can't afford to buy third-party support" (paraphrasing, of course). Nintendo can't be both rich and poor.

The thing is the amount of revenue.

Nintendo's only revenue is still only videogames. If they screw that up trying to compete in the "power race" and fail then they have no failsafe. Sony has multiple divisions whose revenue can shield some of the risks of each other divisions a bit.

Ecotic

Wasn't Nintendo worth 80 billion at its peak? Damn.

If Nintendo had not given away nearly all of the Wii and DS's profits in dividends they'd still be worth a lot of that. Instead of putting it in the bank to use later for acquisitions or to fuel future endeavors they gave it practically ALL away!

A polar opposite example is Apple which gave no dividend for the entirety of Steve Jobs' run. Now they have nearly $200 billion in the bank and can provide the money to fuel any future project they ever want to do, for practically all eternity.

What Nintendo did with the money it made during the Wii and DS era is damn near criminal. They're even smaller now than they were during the Gamecube days.

The Wii and the DS's success? It was all for nothing. Nintendo could have held onto the money for their future and investors would still have enriched their own pockets because their shares would have to account for that money in the bank.

ohlawd

Can you imagine Sony focusing on nothing except their gaming division.

They're slaughtering everybody else and this isn't even their final form.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
lol

They should fire their Sonywata

Without a doubt!

To be serious, I definitely feel Kaz Hirai have failed in doing those decisions he needed to do, and should be much closer to getting fired than Iwata, who after all have a ton of successes as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sony really needs to dump their content divisions even more so than their hardware divisions.

They need to restructure their hardware divisions and focus on a smaller base of key core products in areas like phones, TVs, and cameras.

In terms of content creation IMO they just should just dump movies and music all together. Just not worth it overall even when they have a hit every once in a while in said sector.

Oriel

For some reason? Windows 8 is doing terrible and a OS no one wants. Windows Phones are (still) doing terrible and lol Surface.

Their stock was rising in value for much of 2013. They're still a very profitable, and highly valued Wall St giant.

AJLma

With Sony's output over the last basically 10 years, it's not surprising at all really. The PS4 is such a landmark piece of technology though. An incredible piece of engineering that won't be beat for value for the foreseeable future. I hope it pulls them up or at least inspires their other divisions to start making innovative products again.

This also makes me wonder how far behind Valve is.

Neiteio

Nintendo also has an insane war chest that would allow them to flat-out fail multiple consoles and keep going strong. I think people tend to underestimate them.

Top Bottom