• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is once again the larger company than Sony

gogogow

Their stock was rising in value for much of 2013. They're still a very profitable, and highly valued Wall St giant.

Of course they are and Windows isn't going anywhere, but they are throwing away a lot of money with their mobile devices. They had a huge loss with Surface RT this year, almost a billion dollars. That's crazy.
And with Windows Phones, they obviously can't compete with the two other giants, Apple and Google.

They are huge, yes, but at the same time they don't have any successes outside of Windows. Even shareholders wants to get rid of the Xbox division.

Coolwhip

Banned
If Nintendo had not given away nearly all of the Wii and DS's profits in dividends they'd still be worth a lot of that. Instead of putting it in the bank to use later for acquisitions or to fuel future endeavors they gave it practically ALL away!

A polar opposite example is Apple which gave no dividend for the entirety of Steve Jobs' run. Now they have nearly $200 billion in the bank and can provide the money to fuel any future project they ever want to do, for practically all eternity.

What Nintendo did with the money it made during the Wii and DS era is damn near criminal. They're even smaller now than they were during the Gamecube days.

The Wii and the DS's success? It was all for nothing. Nintendo could have held onto the money for their future and investors would still have enriched their own pockets because their shares would have to account for that money in the bank.

Huh? Really? Why would they do that?

Tablo

Nintendo should buy sony's games division.

iHrfSJoagq3Cx.gif

I'd be down :D

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Sony is likely undervalued significantly if new management keeps making good decisions. They were bleeding so much money on each TV and PS3 they sold. Now they're hitting profitability. They're making interesting Smart Phones and other mobile devices, and they have a healthy insurance and movie business. I think Sony will be somewhere in the 50 billion market cap area by 2017.

But yes, Microsoft is huge. If they focused all profit they could buy NTDOY and SNE in 2 years assuming a takeover is possible. But I think they're focused on a mobile/desktop unified platform.

Afrikan

When compared to other video game related companies...

kynB09W.png

Edit. Activision-Blizzard: 12.74B

whoa...never heard of LeapFrog.. but I don't have children so that might be the reason why... man sometimes I feel I chose the wrong profession.. or atleast the wrong place to work at.

Despite the quality it made some money. I still don't see where they use $230 million. Maybe marketing.

Budget
$230,000,000 (estimated)

Gross
696,859,765 (Worldwide)

$230 million was the production budget. The marketing budget for The Amazing Spiderman was at least $100 million more.

And, gross revenues are split with theater owners. It's not like Sony gets all of that $697 million.

Aside from their gaming and music divisions the rest from sony have been bleeding money left and right along with not being competitive for almost a decade or more.

TV might be super high quality sony but no one is going to buy it when you tell them a sony brand will last 15 years when the off brand will last 5, yet your tv cost the price of 6 off brands.

Oriel

If Nintendo had not given away nearly all of the Wii and DS's profits in dividends they'd still be worth a lot of that. Instead of putting it in the bank to use later for acquisitions or to fuel future endeavors they gave it practically ALL away!

A polar opposite example is Apple which gave no dividend for the entirety of Steve Jobs' run. Now they have nearly $200 billion in the bank and can provide the money to fuel any future project they ever want to do, for practically all eternity.

What Nintendo did with the money it made during the Wii and DS era is damn near criminal. They're even smaller now than they were during the Gamecube days.

The Wii and the DS's success? It was all for nothing. Nintendo could have held onto the money for their future and investors would still have enriched their own pockets because their shares would have to account for that money in the bank.

Yeah, back at the height of the Wii bubble shares were trading at over JPY70,000 a share. Today they're going for just over 15,000.

Ecotic

Huh? Really? Why would they do that?

Either short-sightedness, stupidity, or a lack of ambition to bank the money and grow by putting it to work. Nintendo is one of the few companies I know that doesn't actually seem interested in growing as a company.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Spider-Man movies make money.

Oh, okay. Yeah, it wasn't the greatest, but it still made moneyz. :p

The trailer for the second one did look baaaad... And this coming from someone midly interested in the film so I wanted it to look good despite not yet having got round to watching the first (which may be part of the reason).

Pingoreous

$230 million was the production budget. The marketing budget for The Amazing Spiderman was at least $100 million more.

And, gross revenues are split with theater owners. It's not like Sony gets all of that $696 million.

Regardless it made some money. Not bad for an early franchise reboot and keeping the Spidy from going back to Disney/Marvel.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Aside from their gaming and music divisions the rest from sony have been bleeding money left and right along with not being competitive for almost a decade or more.

TV might be super high quality sony but no one is going to buy it when you tell them a sony brand will last 15 years when the off brand will last 5, yet your tv cost the price of 6 off brands.

Sony's TVs are pretty good. Especially with 4K or with video games. Really low input lag.

They're mistake was a price war with Samsung. Someone thought it was a good idea to lose $500 for Sony each time they sold a TV. They seem to be focusing on more niche markets that are more viable, like 4K, low input lag.

Krilekk

Banned
It really is amazing how stupid investor's conventional wisdom can be. Activist shareholder Dan Loeb tried to get Sony to spin off its movie division and investors got all excited even though people who knew better knew Sony was never going to listen to that guy. Sony released a polite press release saying no and that's the best change he managed.

Nintendo missing the Wii U sales forecast next earnings report is going to hit investors like a sack of bricks because Nintendo still publicly insists they can hit it. People like us know better. If Nintendo doesn't announce any change in overall strategy their stock will drop 10% on the first day and probably bleed out another 10-25% in the following weeks.

LOL. If their earnings are alright Wii U won't matter at all. Also buy on bad news.

Fun facts: Microsoft sits on cash reserves of $80 billion. And they make a profit of 24 billion a year.

Coolwhip

Banned
Either short-sightedness, stupidity, or a lack of ambition to bank the money and grow by putting it to work. Nintendo is one of the few companies I know that doesn't actually seem interested in growing as a company.

Weird, was that Yamauchi's call?

I feel like pride is what keeps Sony from recovering. They really need to just suck it up and accept the Koreans undercut them in a bunch of areas and that Sony is no longer considered a premium brand that can command the price it does. Even with the Vaio range you're looking paying a premium for what is essentially a slightly better looking laptop.

They could recover, they could focus on what they are good at -- cameras, phones, gaming, financial/insurance, and medical equipment -- but instead they keep making stupid decisions like Smart Watch, that clip on phone camera lens, and now this stupid Core novelty.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, back at the height of the Wii bubble shares were trading at over JPY70,000 a share. Today they're going for just over 15,000.

No shit, If I was into the stock market at the time I would have invested (hell Nintendo would probably be a safe long term dividend investment if they hadn't entered their first rough patch in their history.)

Oriel

If I owned Google I would buy Roku and Nintendo or Sony and school everyone.

Seems Google prefers snapping up robotics companies like Boston Dynamics and anti aging company Calico. They have no interest in down to earth concepts like gaming and home entertainment. Expect them to be partnering with SpaceX in a decade colonising Mars, seriously.

Gorillaz

Nintendo also has an insane war chest that would allow them to flat-out fail multiple consoles and keep going strong. I think people tend to underestimate them.

I would think it would be opposite since if they fuck up, there is no other back up investments. Warchest is also what's keeping them alive

Oriel

Of course they are and Windows isn't going anywhere, but they are throwing away a lot of money with their mobile devices. They had a huge loss with Surface RT this year, almost a billion dollars. That's crazy.
And with Windows Phones, they obviously can't compete with the two other giants, Apple and Google.

They are huge, yes, but at the same time they don't have any successes outside of Windows. Even shareholders wants to get rid of the Xbox division.

I now own a Windows Phone so I'm hoping it turns around, as some "analysts" are saying. We'll see.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Seems Google prefers snapping up robotics companies like Boston Dynamics and anti aging company Calico. They have no interest in down to earth concepts like gaming and home entertainment. Expect them to be partnering with SpaceX in a decade colonising Mars, seriously.

To be fair they did just come out with Chromecast last summer, and it's doing really well for them. So it's not like they don't already have something in this space.

Pingoreous

The problem is people don't upgrade TVs, cameras, computers, speakers, receivers that often. A tech company cannot sustain growth with those things.

Coolwhip

Banned
I would think it would be opposite since if they fuck up, there is no other back up investments. Warchest is also what's keeping them alive

I'd say strong sales of videogames is what keeping them alive. Wii U might be doing bad, but they still sell a lot of games on 3DS and Wii U.

javac

The once thought impossible to reach level that is 4th party?!

Here, let me teach you a thing or two about developers starting with the basics. What you're seeing now is my normal state. This is a 1st Party Developer.

Now this is a developer that has ascended past a 1st Party Developer. Or you could just call this one a 3rd Party Developer. 

AND THIS! To go even further! Beyond! I'm sorry that took so long...I haven't had much time to pratice this transformation. This is what I call a Super 4th party Developer. 

What the heck am I doing...

Sony lost a lot of money in the movies sector last year with flops like White House Down and After Earth. Robocop and The Amazing Spiderman 2 will be good for them this year. That and the PS4 selling so much, I expect things to turn around again.

jedimike

Not entirely true
http://mobilitydigest.com/microsoft-record-sale-of-windows-phones-this-holidays/

Epcott

And, gross revenues are split with theater owners. It's not like Sony gets all of that $696 million.

Looks like they're playing it safe this year in the box office... tons or remakes:
Robocop
About Last Night
The Equalizer (technically a remake of a show)
Popeye
Annie

Maybe 2014 will be a good year for Sony's movie division? Looking at that list, I realize I had no idea two of those films existed before this post, and three of those star African Americans in roles that were traditionally white. Strange coincidence for Sony Pictures.

I agree with everyone who has said that is the problem with Sony.

I was just stating that Sony has their hand in a ton more businesses most of which lose them money but they are atleast providing quality in those industries. Sony HDTV's are well known and researched to be the best latency gaming HDTV's. Sony movies are quite big and they have hits each year, their music industry has some of the largest artists in the world. Yadda yadda.

But yeah they do need to cut back quite a bit and focus on maybe 2-3 major areas. Gaming, TV's, Smartphones maybe. Something like that.

Jomjom

Banned
Yet whenever the topic comes up about competing with Sony, you almost always hear "they can't afford to compete on technology" or "they can't afford to buy third-party support" (paraphrasing, of course). Nintendo can't be both rich and poor.

Of course they can compete. That's just what Nintendo fanboys say to justify Nintendo cheaping out on stuff while making Nintendo look like the loveable scrappy underdog.

Sadist

Woah woah, EA is only worth 7 billion these days? That's quite a tumble. They were worth close to twenty billion in the early 2000's.

Oriel

To be fair they did just come out with Chromecast last summer, and it's doing really well for them. So it's not like they don't already have something in this space.

Yeah, Android looks to be to mobiles what Windows is to PC's. If Google wanted it could steal a lot of gaming thunder from Sony and Nintendo and take a fairly sizeable chunk of the mobile gaming market. Play Games is just taking off, hell Android games now come with achievements.

Riki

Woah woah, EA is only worth 7 billion these days? That's quite a tumble. They were worth close to twenty billion in the early 2000's.

The string of horrible game launches has really killed investor confidence with EA.

BlackJace

Of course they can compete. That's just what Nintendo fanboys say to justify Nintendo cheaping out on stuff while making Nintendo look like the loveable scrappy underdog.

No, they actually cannot afford to be a loss-leading company in the same way Microsoft and Sony can. Don't be foolish.

Tripon

I thought Sony's most successful area is selling insurance.

You're right, forgot about Insurance. Still, the gaming division is still a relatively small(still important), but small part of Sony. Its important to remember that when Sony and MS make decisions about gaming though. Their decisions that affect gaming tend to be influenced from other sectors of their companies. Like Blu Ray in PS3, or the Kinect on the 360/Xbox One.

I honestly do believe the Kinect was shoehorned as a gaming device because its pretty obvious its ability as a cheap 3D camera and scanning device can do a lot better in other sectors of MS, but there's with the 360/XBox One because of internal factors at MS.

Top Bottom