• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo launching Android tethering app for 3DS in Japan

ahm998

In a partnership with 3G mobile communications service DoCoMo, Nintendo will launch the Japan-exclusive Easy Tethering for Nintendo 3DS application for Android-powered smartphones and tablets on Google Play tomorrow.

The free app uses WPS protocol and provides users with an easy method to get Nintendo 3DS devices online via the mobile network. Those who use the software and complete a survey between July and Sept. 30 have the chance to receive a download code for a Virtual Console game for the 3DS. The current list of compatible mobile devices follows, with more expected to be added to the list in the future:

Smartphone:

Galaxy S5 SC-04F
Xperia (tm) Z2 SO-03F
AQUOS ZETA SH-04F
ARROWS NX F-05F
Xperia (tm) A2 SO-04F
Tablets:

AQUOS PAD SH-06F
Xperia (tm) Z2 Tablet SO-05F

Nintendo now thinking difference!

link

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
As everyone familiar with the french philosopher Gilles Deleuze should know, thinking Difference is a very complicated thing to do (cf. G. Deleuze, Difference et repetition, PUF 1968 for a good time).

Oh man, that'd be fantastic. That said, I'm still rocking an unlimited data plan - so I could handle frivolous mobile Mario Karting.

I'm curious to know how hard tethering is that an app is needed? Surely all you need to do is turn your phone's wireless hotspot on and then join the network via 3DS?

Schnozberry

I'm curious to know how hard tethering is that an app is needed? Surely all you need to do is turn your phone's wireless hotspot on and then join the network via 3DS?

Perhaps Japanese carriers restrict tethering via their device ROMs? I'm talking out of my ass, so hopefully someone can clear it up.

Shiggy

What's the use of this app? Turning tethering on is as difficult as downloading this app, I would've guessed.

PensOwl

Banned
It'd be hilarious if the point of this app was to create a HomePass relay. Unfortunately, you'd need root for that.

What's the use of this app? Turning tethering on is as difficult as downloading this app, I would've guessed.
Perhaps because Nintendo's systems have had a bit of an issue when it comes to connecting to certain devices. Neither my ds or 3ds have ever connected to my phone before, so maybe this will help with that. I have no clue other than that.

Schnozberry

So this is an app for people who have no idea how to operate their devices. It's probably a bigger number than you'd expect.

nampad

I don't see the point when you can tether it without an app and isn't iOS more widely popular in japan, at least with a demographic interested in gaming?

Whatever, at least they are trying to do some online stuff.

Just because we "advanced users" have no trouble with it, doesn't mean that 12 year olds won't appreciate the simplicity of "Hey hit this button and visit the eShop or play MarioKart or whatever, no questions asked".

Top Bottom