• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Launching NFC (figurine) Game for Wii U/3DS, Details @ E3

This is something that I've been curious about the specifics of the rollout for. They say details at E3, and unless I misread something somewhere, NFP is coming later this year for Wii U (next year for 3DS). So I did some theorising about what the launch line-up for this thing will likely involve. I think these are probably realistic guesses, and obviously there's room for Nintendo to pull some crazy shit out of it's hat between now and release, but here goes:

A new 2D platformer (probably in the Mario series)

h9qITTS.jpg

This holiday will be 2 years since the release of the last 2D Mario game. I know that probably doesn't feel right, seeing as we all got serious NSMB fatigue big time back in 2012, but it's the truth, and honestly the timing is probably good for another trip back to the traditional Mushroom Kingdom. I think this would be the big, obvious title for NFP's launch; Mario's 2D (and nowadays 3D) games have been experimenting with multiplayer and extended casts for the last 5 years or so now, and having a new Super Mario Bros. game where you can swap to Luigi mid-level simply by placing a Luigi figure on the GamePad is the kind of quick, easy sell for Nintendo's take on NFC gaming that I just can't see them missing out on.

Despite the picture, I don't think this will be a NSMB title - I think that brand is probably done with by now - but I feel pretty confident in guessing that it'll be Mario, and it'll be 2D. I'm thinking the Mario figure comes in the box, with playable Miis to fill out the 2/3/4P slots for those without figures.

Related possiblities: a more loose 2D platformer with multiple franchises (Mario + Kirby + DK; a "new IP" that integrates these series, kind of like LittleBigPlanet); Yarn Yoshi is now Yarn EVERYTHING; a Super Mario 3D World expansion.

Hyrule Warriors

I think this is definitely going to be an NFP title. Dynasty Warriors and its various off-shoots, licensed or otherwise are known for having a sizeable cast of playable characters. The Legend of Zelda series, however, is the exact opposite; you play as Link, and only Link. How about a nice compromise? Make Link the main playable character (no figure required), make it so that the game can be played entirely with him just fine, and then sell figures for your Zelda all-stars alongside the game. Sheik, Impa, Ganondorf, Vaati, Ghirahim, Young Link, Oni Link... There's a fair bit of money to be made from Zelda nuts here. Obviously the trick is selling to a slightly older audience, as well as working with a game that might not explicitly encourage you to go buy figures, but I'd still be extremely surprising if THIS game of all things doesn't have some NFP usage.

Related possibilities: Turns out it was Nintendo Musou all along! (OK, not really.)

Wii/Mario Party NFP

The NFP figures are practically board game pieces already. I think NFP has to launch with a game that all present (and future) figurines can be compatible with (not even Smash can manage that), and this would be the obvious one: Mario Party. The game can use Miis as the default character, so you can still have fun without figures - it's not as if Mario Party ever differed based on the character you chose - but obviously the cast can increase tenfold when you start putting figures in the mix. There's the potential for unlockable content in the game based on which figures you bring to the party, too - put down a Link figure, get a sweet Hyrule Castle board, or a Cucco catching minigame. Put down Kirby, get the Megaton Punch minigame from Super Star. Plus I think the more physically-minded nature of a lot of the Wii Party minigames works well for a game where you're interacting via real-world objects anyway. This seems like a no-brainer to me, personally, but we'll see.

Related possibilities: Wii Sports with NFP support, perhaps?

An OS level NFP app

I would be surprised if there's nothing baked into the system that reacts to the figures by time they're available to purchase. I'm thinking something similar to the Wara Wara Plaza here. Put down an NFP figure, a cutesy-little avatar based on the figure shows up, and then you can run around one of those clinical Wii-white open spaces with it. Oh, and more relevantly, you can use it to track the data saved to your figure, and compare it to others. Wanna see who has the best Mario on your friends list? In your country, in the world? Plus it could track your various accomplishments with that character - oh, this Mario has won X% of online Smash Bros matches, X% of MK8 races, it's completed 3D World, etc etc.

Related possibilities: There's gotta be some way to tie NFP into Miiverse as well, but I can't say I have any ideas.

Mario Kart 8

I know it, you know it: the roster in MK8 is bogus. Whilst I'm glad Waluigi is back, and the Koopa Kids are great, having "Pink Gold Peach" over Diddy Kong is so awful. Naturally, I'm expecting them to update that game to include more characters... characters you unlock via their NFP figurines, of course...

On a more serious note, games like MK8 and Smash Bros will likely interact with NFP, but not in the usual Skylanders manner. I think you'll be able to transfer data from those games, such as your Global Smash Power (ugh) and your Mario Kart 8 records to a NFP figure relevant to that character. Your Mario figure carries all your wins and losses as Mario in MK8, for example. It could even contain code to access a particularly cool replay for that character on Mario Kart TV, for NFC compatible smartphones. That's probably wishful thinking but it's just the kind of thing they could do with NFP, without actually forcing you to buy an armful of figures for every single game. Consider it equal to how certain games don't go overboard with the Miis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's just what I'm thinking for 2014. Naturally, 2015 will bring more games and the arrival of 3DS compatibility. I can see whatever Pokken is launching in early '15; if it's a true Tekken game, like I think it is, then I think we then see Nintendo begin to explore things like F2P, NFP driven games versus traditional £40 releases, or perhaps even both at once, like Killer Instinct's season passes.

Oh, there's one more game for next year too.

Lords = Figures. Be prepared.

Danneee

I knew it!

And I'm kind of intrigued, I like the Nintendo characters and wouldn't mind collecting them.
I'm sure there will be some kind of wii sports/play game associated tith this, hope it turns out good.

NeonZ

Smash Brothers would be the ideal game to launch it with. New, niche characters could be sold at retail replacing DLC and could later be used in their own games if developed. Consider Samus or Captain Falcon as examples. Even something like Dillon could be used in Smash and in subsequent eshop releases.

Do you really think they'd launch a line without Mario figures? Without Pikachu? Smash doesn't fit here because most famous characters are available without figures. It'll be a new game series, not Smash.

Do you really think they'd launch a line without Mario figures? Without Pikachu? Smash doesn't fit here because most famous characters are available without figures. It'll be a new game series, not Smash.

Yeah, this shit is releasing with like 20 Mario figures and maybe 5 Zelda figures. Count on it :p

Somnid

I missed out on a lot of the thread and don't have time ATM to catch up. Was it ever confirmed there will be specific game(s) to go along with this, or will the figures be integrated into multiple games, none of which will be a more NFC-central Skylanders-type game? Thanks!

It sounds more like the latter but still a bit vague. Games will integrate NPF figurines going forward but nothing was really mentioned about having a game that required them. It would not surprise me if the latter happened at some point though.

Gartooth

Disney Infinity doesnt even feature Micky right ?

Granted Mickey is the only classic Disney character to have made it in so far. (No Donald or Goofy) Disney Infinity is focusing a lot more on their recently popular IP or specific brands they are trying to push, hence seeing a ton of characters from Pixar movies along with those from recent Disney movies (Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph) rather than a cast of characters you'd find in Kingdom Hearts outside of the odd fanservice like Jack Skellington or Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey. (Which I think would be a better representation of Disney... but business and all that)

Ultimately, they are trying to sell toys to younger kids based on properties they've been exposed to, so your more likely to see toys coming soon based on Big Hero 6 rather than Aladdin or The Lion King for example.

maxcriden

It sounds more like the latter but still a bit vague. Games will integrate NPF figurines going forward but nothing was really mentioned about having a game that required them. It would not surprise me if the latter happened at some point though.

Thank you!

I think they said the 3DS wasn't getting NFC till next year.

That would also rule out anything with Smash.

Necessarily, it doesn't mean the games couldn't have features built in/get patched in the future to support them.

Actually, this'd be a hell of a way for them to distribute Event Pokemon. Have a figure of Diancie come out, and people can purchase it to get that Pokemon on their game. They usually have downloads for them for free, but this way they can guarantee to get direct money from people (as opposed to hoping the people will go to the store and shop around after downloading which isn't really happening as evident by people going to stores like Gamestop and sitting in their car to download a special Pokemon lol)

For me at least, I think what needs to be carefully balanced is price VS content. In my opinion, I feel the price point of Skylanders is just about right. $9.99 for a figure that unlocks that character but also is sculpted nice and looks good up on a shelf. That's why I collect them. Alternatively, I think Disney's Infinity figures aren't worth the dollar more. Skylanders was pushing it with the bump from $7.99 to $9.99 (thanks, Gamestop) and now that TRU has set that as the base price, I refuse to buy any Skylanders products from them.

On the Nintendo side, I felt the Rumble figures were also bogus. $4.99 for the figure didn't sit entirely right with me. I purchased a few, but I didn't care for the looks, the size or the actual properties of them (all of the figures were outclassed by the time I got near the end of the game with copies I could simply get in the game...so what was the point of them?) Not to mention blind balls. While some people like the blind bags (Disney Infinity does this with their Power Discs), I didn't care for that fact and wanted to know exactly what I was getting for the price. An alternative they could have had was to package 2 together in something, one you can see and one you can't. (which would keep that door open for variants aka Shiny Pokemon)

Skylanders announced their 4th game, Trap Team, which features little crystal traps that you can buy to trap villains in the game (and use them as playable characters). Immediately, literally the first thing people were questioning was "are these going to be sold in blind bags?". Many of us fans have spent a lot of money on the franchise, and we certainly were not looking forward to possibly spending a lot of something that we wouldn't be able to see. (It turns out they're not selling them in blind bags)

TSM

How many toy/game hybrids will the market support? We already have Skylanders and Disney Infinity. This will be late to the market and potentially the 3rd set of toys parents will be asked to buy. Also add in that the Wii U already had a Skylanders pack in. I'm interested to see how this goes, but at some point it would seem like fatigue for buying little plastic figurines would set into the marketplace. We saw a similar fatigue with the plastic instrument music genre a couple years ago.

When you have:

- Disney with the decades worth of greater worldwide brand exposure, a themepark, and billions from animated movies/toys and Nintendo is just now starting to initiate plans on how to license their IPs in new areas.

- Nintendo experiencing a significant decrease from their core and casual presence when transitioning from the Wii to the Wii U.

I think it's understandable to be skeptical of their future NFC success in the market where Skylanders and Disney's Infinity already exist. Nintendo has to start somewhere and their
NFC approach seems unique enough so hopefully it works out for them.
IIRC there was a period in which Mario was more popular tha Mickey Mouse

rawktapus

How many toy/game hybrids will the market support? We already have Skylanders and Disney Infinity. This will be late to the market and potentially the 3rd set of toys parents will be asked to buy. Also add in that the Wii U already had a Skylanders pack in. I'm interested to see how this goes, but at some point it would seem like fatigue for buying little plastic figurines would set into the marketplace. We saw a similar fatigue with the plastic instrument music genre a couple years ago.

The main difference being that toys/figurines have more worth outside of the games than plastic instruments. They already sell Nintendo toys, this will just diversify that line-up with the added benefit of interacting with their games.

Sandfox

If Nintendo pushes their NFC games enough I wonder if their platforms could be the go to choices for the Skylanders/Infinity audience for the next generation.

Lernaean

Banned

I'm pretty sure that right now Mario is more popular than Mickey Mouse. The Disney brand has lost much of it's former mascot popularity. I believe kids today recognize characters from Pixar more than they do Mickey or Donald.

RulkezX

Disney is now Mickey , Donald , Goofy ,Cars , Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.

Nintendo is Mario , Luigi , Donkey Kong >>>>>>>>>>>>> a huge roster of characters only Nintendo Fans know the name of.

If Nintendo pushes their NFC games enough I wonder if their platforms could be the go to choices for the Skylanders/Infinity audience for the next generation.

Instead of being able to use the portal and toys on all platforms , especially the ones their parents own ?

BuzzJive

I always expected them to have NFC crossover characters like this for Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. I can't believe they missed out on Mario Kart, but delaying it any further would obviously not be a good choice. Maybe they could do Smash Kart next holiday, with shared DLC or something? I know the chances are extremely slim, but I'd be all over it.

I'm sure I'll be in for some of these figures though - whatever they are for.

Also, Skylanders is actually a good game. I don't get why so many people want to dismiss it. My kid and I have had a blast playing through the various games.

valouris

Nintendo is Mario , Luigi , Donkey Kong >>>>>>>>>>>>> a huge roster of characters only Nintendo Fans know the name of.

Pokemon! Why does everybody keep forgetting Pokemon?

Also, Kirby is not a negligible franchise, especially in Japan. Plus Link, Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon.

I always expected them to have NFC crossover characters like this for Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. I can't believe they missed out on Mario Kart, but delaying it any further would obviously not be a good choice. Maybe they could do Smash Kart next holiday, with shared DLC or something? I know the chances are extremely slim, but I'd be all over it.

I'm sure I'll be in for some of these figures though - whatever they are for.

Also, Skylanders is actually a good game. I don't get why so many people want to dismiss it. My kid and I have had a blast playing through the various games.

Mainly because it doesn't actually seem like the toys enhance the experience. It seems like you scan them and then they sit there un-played-with.

Sendou

Pokemon! Why does everybody keep forgetting Pokemon?

The unfortunate fact is that Pokémon already got their time at the NFC spotlight. Time to focus on others for now! Might throw Pikachu there because it's Pikachu but if beyond that I'd rather have them focus on other Nintendo IP's like the ones you mentioned.

The unfortunate fact is that Pokémon already got their time at the NFC spotlight. Time to focus on others for now! Might throw Pikachu there because it's Pikachu but if beyond that I'd rather have them focus on other Nintendo IP's like the ones you mentioned.

I don't think Rumble U counted as a spotlight

Rvaisse

Rather than many new games shown at E3, i expect mostly updates for WiiU existing games to be compatible with NFP.

NSMBU, SM3DW, NintendoLand...
Obviously MK8 too and smash bros.

This willl help these games to be in the light again, and a solid base of already existing customers to drive the NFP business.

And with nintendo giving away some of these games with MK8.... Thats even more potential customers for figurines when they will come out.

BuzzJive

Mainly because it doesn't actually seem like the toys enhance the experience. It seems like you scan them and then they sit there un-played-with.

Well - yes and no. My 8 year old lights up when he sees a new character in the store he doesn't have. It wouldn't be the same with just a digital download. There's tons of kids and adults even that collect figures that do nothing. Having the interaction with a game is actually pretty cool.

Skylanders the game - particularly swap force - is well made. The figures themselves are fine for what they are. I don't particularly like that I've mostly spent more money since 2010 on Skylanders than I have on games for myself, but I can think of worse things to by my kid.

rawktapus

Well - yes and no. My 8 year old lights up when he sees a new character in the store he doesn't have. It wouldn't be the same with just a digital download. There's tons of kids and adults even that collect figures that do nothing. Having the interaction with a game is actually pretty cool.

Skylanders the game - particularly swap force - is well made. The figures themselves are fine for what they are. I don't particularly like that I've mostly spent more money since 2010 on Skylanders than I have on games for myself, but I can think of worse things to by my kid.

The customization and the ability to use your toy in someone elses game is another great aspect of the franchise. I have a 10 year old brother who visits me sometimes, and he always brings his case of skylanders and loves comparing his to mine. It gives kids an incredible sense of ownership and attachment to the characters.

Penguin

Instead of being able to use the portal and toys on all platforms , especially the ones their parents own ?

I would throw Pokemon and Animal Crossing in there before Donkey Kong.
I actually, could see Animal Crossing being a big brand if they had done this sooner. Could actually buy the neighbors you want and maybe come with exclusive furniture or patterns.

I think one thing that may benefit them is you don't need a portal, granted would be a bigger selling point if the Wii U was doing better, but still means have 6 million potential buyers already. And Disney Infinity made a decent amount of cash on only selling about 3 million copies of the game

Hmmm, well I kind of like figurines. I don't collect many of them because it's an expensive hobby. I also kind of like having things that I can use rather than collect. I also like plush dolls more because you can hug them.

Figurines are hard and not very huggable. But they are nice and I do enjoy collecting toys and figurines. But they are really expensive and it can be hard to find uses for them. Again, I think that buying things you can enjoy is better buying things only to collect. And if I spent a lot of my money buying figurines I wouldn't have money to buy video games and other nice things I like.

I have to be very selective when I buy figurines because they're very expensive and I can't buy really buy them most of the time except the ones I really care about. I'm kind of hoping to find a way to use them and make something with them. For instance, putting them in a computer case. I'd really like to make a Touhou themed computer case with Touhou designs all over it, and figurines on the inside that you can see in the see through panels. I'd also like to build a Tales themed PC and build a computer case for that, even though there sadly aren't any Tales games for the PC other than Tales of Eternia Online.

I've also heard of people making custom consoles and making them like a PC. Giving them a new case and adding new components to give them more stuff and upgrading them. That would be a really neat way to use figurines. I think it would be fun to make something like a Vita TV for all of the Game Boy and Nintendo DS systems. And give it a Pokemon theme. That's something I could use my Pokemon figurines for.

I'm sure that I'll enjoy collecting a few figurines if they make them. Like Pikachu or Clefairy or Diancie or other Pokemon I like. I already collect Pokemon figurines and plush dolls. And some of the Super Mario characters would be fun, too. I'd really like if they had Paper Mario figurines, I really like Lady Bow and Goombella. Though I guess they would be 2D.

Overall though, I don't really think I like this idea. Even though it would be fun to own some things. It would make it even harder to own digital things. And I think we're moving into a digital distribution world and I like that. In fact, I think we're moving into a world where more and more things can be digital and there will be less and less need for physical things. And I think that's a good thing. I don't want to have to buy physical things to have digital goods.

But I want to see the positives in this and I'm sure there can be figures that I would like to own. I bet figurines would be a great way of people legitimately getting Pokemon that people missed out on from events. It could also make the legitimate Pokemon trading culture better. As you could prove that you legitimately own a Pokemon, and some people could choose to trade the figurines as well as the Pokemon. It's not the best method, but it would work for some people who don't like hacked or illegitimate Pokemon.

Popnbake

Disney has a lot more than Mickey Mouse these days.

The problem is that currently Nintendo's IPs are tied to their hardwares.

So an idea like this would have been better implemented during the Wii days with it's
tremendous sales rather than now with the Wii U's performance.

Disney's Infinity however is not tied to just one company's consoles.

There's the 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, iOS, Windows, and plans on the 'next-gen' iteration for Xbox One and PS4.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...o-work-for-years-to-come.html#~oDHj6UmBBSUOKR

"When we launch the game [this August] we won't be on those platforms, we'll be on the current gen stuff, and to be fair, we are launching ahead of those consoles," he told Digital Spy.

"Infinity is a product we see having a long life span, it'll be developed for years to come. I don't have specific details or plans about that, but it seems inevitable that we'll have to cross that bridge."

Day added that toys and toy readers released now will be compatible with future consoles.

"We've invested a lot of time and technology into future proofing all the stuff we've got," he said.

So they have a much more diverse approach with their NFC toys than Nintendo.

Same goes for Skylanders.

georly

I would throw Pokemon and Animal Crossing in there before Donkey Kong.

I think he's talking about like... grandmas.

Ask your grandma to name some nintendo characters. If you're lucky, you'll get mario and donkey kong, and not much else.

That said, grandmas aren't going to buy anything nintendo anyway.

udivision

Rather than many new games shown at E3, i expect mostly updates for WiiU existing games to be compatible with NFP.

NSMBU, SM3DW, NintendoLand...
Obviously MK8 too and smash bros.

Uh.. do you actually expect that? From Nintendo? Update an old game... to add more features?

Nintendo needs to make a game that specifically uses the figures and uses all of them together. You really need to go all out in this kind of endeavor and I don't see them having a lot of success with this if its optional or just carries over certain small things from one game to the other.

Skylanders might get a lot of hate but they do a lot of things right. Disney would be better served offering a unique fully fleshed out story that allows the mixing and matching of characters as well.

I just thought of another positive thing about this and this sort of thing.

While it means more physical distribution. And it is more expensive for buying digital things. It does mean that more toys are becoming digital. And there are less traditional toys that don't have an electronic element.

This seems like it's a part of the movement to the "internet of things". I don't think the toys themselves will be internet connected. But it does mean that even more toys are now electronic.

This kind of makes me realize how much I really wish Nintendo would make Pokemon Robot pets. One of the most fun things about Pokemon for me is Pokemon raising. I've always wanted to a Pokemon to have as a friend. There are cats and dogs and other pets, but there's something special about Pokemon.

I really love my Pokemon plush dolls. I have them on my bed and I can hug them. A few months ago I got an Espurr. And I love it so much. I like to have it sitting on my bed with me when I play Pokemon Y(or X). But I really wish I had something that reacted to me. There are Pokemon virtual pets, and Pokemon in the games today are more and more realistic, and you pet Pokemon and do all sorts of things which is so great.

I just kind of wish I had a Pokemon that I could hug and cuddle with like a robot pet.

I hope that Nintendo expands into something like this someday, too. I think this would be 'quality of life', and it would also be not wearable. But in the meantime, having some Pokemon figurines to use in a fun sandbox could also be a lot of fun. It would also be really great if it could help a lot of people get Pokemon which were originally event Pokemon without cheating. They should allow for Pokemon figurines to represent actual Pokemon and buying them being catching them.

I'm absolutely not going to miss the Diancie event. I want a Diancie so bad. But if it also existed in a figuring I'd be happy to buy it again. I'd probably buy like 10 or 20 Diancie figures, and give them all nicknames.

Ah, I love Diancie so much. I can't wait for the event. It's going to be the most special Pokemon to me and I'm going to cherish it. I wish they were real so I could give one a big hug and be their friend.

Rvaisse

Uh.. do you actually expect that? From Nintendo? Update an old game... to add more features?

Unlocking 5 one-ups by using a Mario Figurine in NSMBU or that kind of stuff doesnt require a lot of work from them and would help to grow the NFP market.
Nintendo can't make enough games already, so yeah i seriously expect that.
They updated NSMBU, Pikmin 3 to add DLC, don't you think NFP is somehow a "real life" DLC ?

They would be pretty stupid to not use the amazing games already available:
More people with compatible games = Bigger opportunities

Imagine something like ubisoft does with Uplay, a wiiU app, that would tweak gameplay elements in games or gamesaves.

Sandfox

The games are going be more popular on one console over the others and if Nintendo can get that audience through exclusive content it could be them. Also, how many parents do you think are buying a PS4 and Xbox One?

Amir0x

Banned
Nintendo still makes more original stuff than any other first party. Or are you just going to ignore all of that stuff?

It isn't even my type of game but Tomodachi Collection is one of the most insane and original games to come out in a while.

While I am pretty sure your metric for "more original stuff than any other first party" is no longer true, I'll give it to you anyway. Because if you ask the casual observer what defines Wii U, nobody is going to say "original stuff." Because Nintendo has done nothing but release mascot games, more casual affair stuff they already attempted on Wii, more mini-game/party game compilations and a bunch of smaller titles that they pretty much give about as much attention and marketing might to as a sneeze in the wind (if we're lucky and they don't announce it that very day and then just release it that night!).

This remains their biggest problem. People continue to be complacent about it, make the whole "well as long as they're different genres who cares" argument, but it's a serious issue with Nintendo now. It's cutting off their potential customer base massively, who inevitably begin to see Nintendo as the company who just makes endless mascot games. I will always say Nintendo is still the highest quality developer when they have their heart in it, but realistically if I want bold and original games, I'm no longer going to them anymore. And that's a position they put themselves in. I support their quaint smaller titles as best as I can, but without putting major big budget titles with marketing equivalent to a Mario or Zelda title at the forefront and doing it far more often, the image is locked in place, and for good reason. And sometimes the image is as damaging as the reality (in this case, I'd say both are extremely damaging. Nintendo's Wii U output has been...some of their least creative output to date).

Tom_Cody

They are, unfortunately, just too small. It's not a problem when you have a solid little guy like Torchic, but when you have a Kyurem who has a lot of details, you end up with a situation where wings and things are less than 1mm thick.

I really hope that these upcoming figures are a decent size to alleviate that.
That makes sense (regarding the size).

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I have high expectations for the quality we are going to get from these. All of Nintendo's past action figure type toys have been licensed and, with rare exception, have been pretty cheap. If Nintendo actually moves to manufacture these themselves (they do still have a physical toy business) we could see a very high quality result.

While I am pretty sure your metric for "more original stuff than any other first party" is no longer true, I'll give it to you anyway. Because if you ask the casual observer what defines Wii U, nobody is going to say "original stuff." Because Nintendo has done nothing but release mascot games, more casual affair stuff they already attempted on Wii, more mini-game/party game compilations and a bunch of smaller titles that they pretty much give about as much attention and marketing might to as a sneeze in the wind (if we're lucky and they don't announce it that very day and then just release it that night!).

This remains their biggest problem. People continue to be complacent about it, make the whole "well as long as they're different genres who cares" argument, but it's a serious issue with Nintendo now. It's cutting off their potential customer base massively, who inevitably begin to see Nintendo as the company who just makes endless mascot games. I will always say Nintendo is still the highest quality developer when they have their heart in it, but realistically if I want bold and original games, I'm no longer going to them anymore. And that's a position they put themselves in. I support their quaint smaller titles as best as I can, but without putting major big budget titles with marketing equivalent to a Mario or Zelda title at the forefront and doing it far more often, the image is locked in place, and for good reason. And sometimes the image is as damaging as the reality (in this case, I'd say both are extremely damaging. Nintendo's Wii U output has been...some of their least creative output to date).

So much truth in here.

BM8

Neo Member
One part of this you can compare to DI/Skylanders, but the other is new. This is going to be a new platform, and not just a new nfc game.

Top Bottom