• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Launching NFC (figurine) Game for Wii U/3DS, Details @ E3

Vitor711

How is this not going to be Pokemon? I feel like that's the obvious franchise to do the whole "toys as part of the game" thing.

Then again, having to carry several hundred individual models around probably wouldn't be all that fun. Not unless they're tiny and cost around $2 each.

I wonder if this is Miyamoto's new IP that's been rumoured for a while. I know lots of people are excited by the prospect of this, but making a Skylanders-esque shallow action game which is mainly about the toys would be such a waste.

Robin64

I wonder if this is Miyamoto's new IP that's been rumoured for a while. I know lots of people are excited by the prospect of this, but making a Skylanders-esque shallow action game which is mainly about the toys would be such a waste.

I have a little faith in Nintendo that they would make sure the game itself is a solid experience and not solely rely on the toys to sell it, ala Disney Infinity.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
When even Disney achieved meh sales I don't hold much hope for this.

Skylanders is a behemoth , Infinity did ok but both are out on like every single platform available.

This just seems like fan service to adult Nintendo fans that like cheap plastic toys.

You dont hold much hope for a product you know nothing about ? Not too mention that the NFP support wont be limited to just one game from its release. And since when is Disney considered a stronger entity when it comes to gaming than Nintendo ? Know a bunch of people that would happily get games with Nintendo charas while they couldnt care less for Disney Infinity.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I can't imagine Miyamoto's "new" ip being a knockoff of someone else's idea.

I wonder what the feeling towards this will be if they start locking features of future games behind figurines? Like getting a new 3D Mario platformer and finding out that owners of the figure get access to a bonus suit?

Xater

I might be interested in this is if the figures are cool and there is a cool game attached to it for the 3DS.

Robin64

So you think Nintendo is going to go back to old games and patch in compatibility for newer toys years down the line? I wouldn't think so.

Depends. Maybe the games can pull from a shared pool on the Wii U. That pool gets update with new data and the games can all pull from it. Like how they all grab Miis from the Mii Plaza data on the console, but at a slightly more complicated level.

drgambit

Banned
My only issue with NFC is the availability of the figurines. I feel like I never had a chance to purchase a Pokemon Rumble U figure, by the time I was able to pick up the game they were all sold out and selling for ridiculous amounts on ebay.

James Coote

Neo Member
Trust me, this can only end well:

iQB26Ra.jpg

Platy

The cross game compatibility looks interesting .... specialy if each figurine works like a diferent dlc for each game

This could sell like bonkers, not only to adult fans, but kids buy lots of mario figurines they are released by different companies right now. They are like Mickey now.

Reading what Iwata said at the end of the conference, what they need is turn into Disney. Let a good american company do some animated movies, maybe sell some rights for a theme park, sell a fuckton of merchandise (this is what brings the real money), while they still do games (still being their most important bussiness part). They already have the history and characters, if anyone can do it, is Nintendo.

Smash bros using this would have been a great start.

69wpm

So you think Nintendo is going to go back to old games and patch in compatibility for newer toys years down the line? I wouldn't think so.

What? No, that was just an example. I just said that figurine A might work with different Nintendo franchises. Skylander figurines only work with Skylanders games, not any other Activision franchise.

valouris

This is too late for Nintendo imo, parents must already be cursing at all the toys they have to buy and that market is pretty saturated.. Now they have to buy a whole console if they don't have a WiiU, instead of just a game with an apparatus. Plus, the novelty is pretty much over. It will all hang on how popular Nintendo franchises and characters still are

plank

I don't know i guess its just me but, I'm not getting this nfc thing at all. Too inconvenient imho. :/

Linkified

What else did anyone expect when they're holding off Donald, Mickey etc? We'll see if Nintendo releases everything else but Mario and Link.

They released Mickey with Disney Infinity though - didn't it make like $500million during its first 6 months on the market, or according to them at that Disney Infinity 2.0 event.

The problem I see is if they are just going to be using NFC in the actual WiiU Gamepad as opposed to a Portal/Base/etc. I could easily see this being those E-cards they released for Gameboy Advance in terms of content.

This is a great way for them to try and milk the userbase. Finally. I wonder if this is why they were so adamant about keeping the gampad in.

smuf

I could see this leading to things like Smash Brothers characters only being unlockable by buying the corresponding figure.

vareon

Will get this depending on what kind of figures they sale. Can't go wrong with more Nintendo stuff on my desk.

wildfire

Banned
I'm disappointed that this appears to be rehashing old IP instead of making a new one.

I hope the Mario example is just a collector's edition and not an example of the game's core aesthetics.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Skylanders is a behemoth , Infinity did ok but both are out on like every single platform available.

This just seems like fan service to adult Nintendo fans that like cheap plastic toys.

Infinity didn't do as well because the figures were massively overpriced.

Tom_Cody

While I agree that this won't reach the levels of those games (at least initially), I think you're ingoring a pretty major factor here.

Do you really think that Nintendo's game (meaning the software) won't be miles better than Activision and Disney have produced? I mean, those games set a pretty low bar.

kewlmyc

Considering there's two competitors (the one that started it all and Disney/Marvel) and that you can only play this on Nintendo products (3DS shouldn't be that hard, but encouraging people to buy a $300 console for this when there are cheaper alternatives will be rough), I'm wary on how successful this will be. I will be keeping an eye out. Nintendo should have more pull than Skylanders with character familiarity, but I'm not sure if they can compete with Disney/Marvel right now, especially if Disney gets Star Wars into the mix in the future.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I hate to assume the worst, but generally "toys to life" means that game design is impacted by the amount of plastic trinkets you've bought (and the more you buy, the better)

Having owned every Nintendo system since NES, this is the first time I can say they're doing something that is "not for me"

And considering the state of 3rd party relations, I can almost consider my Wii U games collection complete if this invades every 1st party title moving forward.

More power to them on jumping on that cash bandwagon, but it won't be from me.

Regiruler

Smash Bros is literally a game where toys come to life solely to beat the crap out of one another. Anyone who thinks smash won't be included has another thing coming.

The Boat

I'm disappointed that this appears to be rehashing old IP instead of making a new one.

I hope the Mario example is just a collector's edition and not an example of the game's core aesthetics.
The whole point of this is selling figures to people who love Nintendo characters, of course it's using old IPs.

Popnbake

You dont hold much hope for a product you know nothing about? Not too mention that the NFP support wont be limited to just one game from its release. And since when is Disney considered a stronger entity when it comes to gaming than Nintendo ? Know a bunch of people that would happily get games with Nintendo charas while they couldnt care less for Disney Infinity.

Reading what Iwata said at the end of the conference, what they need is turn into Disney. Let a good american company do some animated movies, maybe sell some rights for a theme park, sell a fuckton of merchandise (this is what brings the real money), while they still do games (still being their most important bussiness part). They already have the history and characters, if anyone can do it, is Nintendo.

When you have:

- Disney with the decades worth of greater worldwide brand exposure, a themepark, and billions from animated movies/toys and Nintendo is just now starting to initiate plans on how to license their IPs in new areas.

- Nintendo experiencing a significant decrease from their core and casual presence when transitioning from the Wii to the Wii U.

I think it's understandable to be skeptical of their future NFC success in the market where Skylanders and Disney's Infinity already exist. Nintendo has to start somewhere and their
NFC approach seems unique enough so hopefully it works out for them.

nikatapi

Ι'm sure that Nintendo will have an interesting implementation for this, maybe extra playable characters in MK and SSB, or something even more intriguing.

Can't wait to see what is it going to be during e3.

It's literally a memory card. "Horrifying" is the last word I'd use lol

It's not literally a memory card. That's like calling a Wii remote literally a memory card. And the tech involved means it'll have similar storage capacity to the Wii remote.

Smash Bros is literally a game where toys come to life solely to beat the crap out of one another. Anyone who thinks smash won't be included has another thing coming.

It sure will. And no doubt the feature Pokemon figures will also share data with "Pokkén."

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
This is too late for Nintendo imo, parents must already be cursing at all the toys they have to buy and that market is pretty saturated.. Now they have to buy a whole console if they don't have a WiiU, instead of just a game with an apparatus. Plus, the novelty is pretty much over. It will all hang on how popular Nintendo franchises and characters still are

I think a bit of the same, however, there's a lot of powerfull characters on the Nintendo franchises that may do the job decently... Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem (Fuck, can't wait), Kid Icarus... really, these are really strong.

I think that this only can be end beign good for Nintendo and their fans.

maxcriden

I missed out on a lot of the thread and don't have time ATM to catch up. Was it ever confirmed there will be specific game(s) to go along with this, or will the figures be integrated into multiple games, none of which will be a more NFC-central Skylanders-type game? Thanks!

WillyFive

It's not literally a memory card. That's like calling a Wii remote literally a memory card. And the tech involved means it'll have similar storage capacity to the Wii remote.

The Wii remote was a memory card too, it just wasn't used often in many games.You could save Mii's on it, control configurations for Brawl, among other things.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
When you have:

- Disney with the decades worth of greater worldwide brand exposure, a themepark, and billions from animated movies/toys and Nintendo is just now starting to initiate plans on how to license their IPs in new areas.

- Nintendo experiencing a significant decrease from their core and casual presence when transitioning from the Wii to the Wii U.

I think it's understandable to be skeptical of their future NFC success in the market where Skylanders and Disney's Infinity already exist. Nintendo has to start somewhere and their
NFC approach seems unique enough so hopefully it works out for them.

Disney Infinity doesnt even feature Micky right ? Not too mention that from a quality stand-point i expect more from a Nintendo game than a Disney game....right ? I will wait the couple of days until e3 before i judge their strategy. It could be great.

The Wii remote was a memory card too, it just wasn't used often in many games.You could save Mii's on it, control configurations for Brawl, among other things.

Well thats what he said. Being able to storage data is just one feature.

Top Bottom