• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Launching NFC (figurine) Game for Wii U/3DS, Details @ E3

Lumyst

I hope they do some cool stuff with this, all the WiiU's came with that NFC chip so it better be something that most WiiU owners will be interested in.Prior to the WiiU release I remember hearing about how the NFC could be used for credit cards, but that was it.

Lernaean

Banned
The platform had Zombi U, an Ubisoft game. A bunch of 6-year-old Miis doing minigame stuff while dressed as 20-year-old Nintendo characters doesn't really count as new IP.

Zombi U is a 3rd party game indeed but it's a platform exclusive and new IP whether you want it or not, and a damn good one if i might add.
Nintendoland is a new Party-game IP and a great one. The fact that you or even me may not like it doesn't mean it's not a new IP.
Now we have a third new IP in W101 (not launch so it doesn't count in the argument).
Sony had one new IP in Knack and MS zero new IP's.
I repeat, they may not meet your personal criteria but they are new IP's.

Tripon

I'm of the opinion that since Skylanders and Disney Infinity have not launched in Japan yet, Nintendo wants to monopolize the market all to themselves - great profit driver for them.

Nonetheless, the E3 announcements to come, especially the NFC games, seem to be much more Western-focused than usual.
I think Sypro Adventure launched last year in Japan, but it was a thud.

PikaED

I'm of the opinion that since Skylanders and Disney Infinity have not launched in Japan yet, Nintendo wants to monopolize the market all to themselves - great profit driver for them.

Nonetheless, the E3 announcements to come, especially the NFC games, seem to be much more Western-focused than usual.

Actually both Skylanders & Disney Infinity have been available in Japan since last year.

Oddly enough, Disney Infinity is only Nintendo Wii U/3DS in Japan.

RedFalco

Didnt Sakurai show a picture of a Wonder Red trophy yesterday as the picture of the day for Smash?
What if he was secretly alluding to this announcement and Wonder Red may be playable if you buy the figurine? O:

Or maybe just making it a more general statement, perhaps he could be secretly alluding that those figurines will be usable with Smash too.

lewisgone

Hopefully they make the game content the figures unlock worth the likely high price. I wonder if this could be related to those "Advance" trademarks put in a couple weeks back?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Actually both Skylanders & Disney Infinity have been available in Japan since last year.

Oddly enough, Disney Infinity is only Nintendo Wii U/3DS in Japan.

Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated.

Yeah I can't stand how games like X and W101 are just rehashed content, and it's a shame they're about to leave the gaming industry... Oh wait none of that is happening, stop with the fucking hyperbole.

X isn't even out. That's how sad things are. The console has been out over a year and a half, and you can't even name two games from Nintendo that aren't rehashed content. That's not hyperbole.

--

Lernaean said:
Zombi U is a 3rd party game indeed but it's a platform exclusive and new IP whether you want it or not, and a damn good one if i might add.
Nintendoland is a new Party-game IP and a great one. The fact that you or even me may not like it doesn't mean it's not a new IP.
Now we have a third new IP in W101 (not launch so it doesn't count in the argument).
Sony had one new IP in Knack and MS zero new IP's.
I repeat, they may not meet your personal criteria but they are new IP's.

You can repeat yourself all you want, but I don't consider Nintendo Land new IP. It's old characters dressed as older characters running around doing minigames. It's like calling Game and Wario a new IP just because it isn't literally called WarioWare.

Regardless, it's not really a competition of what people can launch with on Day One for New IP. Sony and MS had the promise of every third party game coming up. Any new experience offered by third parties would be offered on their platforms. That's what Nintendo had to compete with, and they answered with NSMB4 and Miis doing Mii stuff.

Then they followed up with more minigames and NSMB5 and Windwaker remake and Wii __ remakes and expansions and 3D Land 2. The line-up was entirely unambitious (besides not justifying their controller). You need new experiences if you expect people to buy into new hardware, and they failed hard on that.

jonno394

You can repeat yourself all you want, but I don't consider Nintendo Land new IP. It's old characters dressed as older characters running around doing minigames. It's like calling Game and Wario a new IP just because it isn't literally called WarioWare.

Regardless, it's not really a competition of what people can launch with on Day One for New IP. Sony and MS had the promise of every third party game coming up. Any new experience offered by third parties would be offered on their platforms. That's what Nintendo had to compete with, and they answered with NSMB4 and Miis doing Mii stuff.

Then they followed up with more minigames and NSMB5 and Windwaker remake and Wii __ remakes and expansions and 3D Land 2. The line-up was entirely unambitious (besides not justifying their controller). You need new experiences if you expect people to buy into new hardware, and they failed hard on that.

A) just because you don't think it isn't a new ip doesn't mean it isn't a new ip.

B) calling 3d world "3d land 2" just shows your out to rile people up.

C) please tell me what these amazing new experiences on the other consoles are.

If they make figures for Steel Diver or other large vehicles such as the Great Fox, it would be neat to sell them as larger figures, marketing and selling them more like pre-built/diecast models than regular NFC figures, with the NFC chips inside of the bottom of the vehicle.

A) just because you don't think it isn't a new ip doesn't mean it isn't a new ip.

B) calling 3d world "3d land 2" just shows your out to rile people up.

A) It's not a new IP because it's just a bunch of old characters doing old stuff. NSMB2 having a coin mode minigame didn't make it a new IP.

B) 3D World is 3D Land 2. It's the same core gameplay but slower (and with cynically-added multiplayer for more sales). The mantra of "same core gameplay" is the case with everything Nintendo has developed for Wii U.

jonno394

A) It's not a new IP because it's just a bunch of old characters doing old stuff. NSMB2 having a coin mode minigame didn't make it a new IP.

B) 3D World is 3D Land 2. It's the same core gameplay but slower (and with cynically-added multiplayer for more sales). The mantra of "same core gameplay" is the case with everything Nintendo has developed for Wii U.

The whole idea of a carnival of Nintendo properties is the new ip.

Now answer c and point out any new core gameplay experiences on other consoles.

ryanofcall

except "Nintendoland", "TW101" and "Game & Wario" - two of them being amazing experiences.

Banned
Look at bright side with the fact that we just dodged the bullet that we don't have to collect the figurines for Smash 3DS and Wii U
Don't be so quick...

Serious question, I've never played an NFC game, and I can't imagine how it can be anything other than a physical micro transaction that could be done all in game. What's the benefit? Asides from getting kids to buy toys?

Ok. Now answer c.

You edited C in later.

C) please tell me what these amazing new experiences on the other consoles are.

After Wii U had already launched and the Wii was long forgotten, Sony launched the Last of Us for PS3. Not only a critical favorite, but it managed to capture the zeitgeist as well. Microsoft scored big with Minecraft. They did everything they could to secure Titanfall, which will continue paying off in the future.

But most importantly, buying video game hardware is an investment. Educated consumers know that. Everyone knows The Order or The Division or whatever "the next big thing" is, those games are going to hit the next consoles. Nintendo just doesn't have that luxury due to the way they run their hardware business. So it's up to them to provide those new experiences, and they have not.

jonno394

You edited C in later.

After Wii U had already launched and the Wii was long forgotten, Sony launched the Last of Us for PS3. Not only a critical favorite, but it managed to capture the zeitgeist as well. Microsoft scored big with Minecraft. They did everything they could to secure Titanfall, which will continue paying off in the future.

But most importantly, buying video game hardware is an investment. Educated consumers know that. Everyone knows The Order or The Division or whatever "the next big thing" is, those games are going to hit the next consoles. Nintendo just doesn't have that luxury due to the way they run their hardware business. So it's up to them to provide those new experiences, and they have not.

I meant current gen consoles your comment was "new experiences for new hardware". The order and the division are not new experiences. They are just the same gameplay in a prettier or new setting.

Lernaean

Banned

You know, i really can't do this, you are starting an argument and then if anyone dares question you, you keep moving goal-posts to justify your argument. You say that it's not a competition of who brings the most new IP's when your original argument was that WiiU failed because it had no new IP's. I just won't do it, i refuse to be dragged into a pointless argument when you refuse to accept valid observations and additionaly it's gonne off topic already. People read your posts and mine and judge.

On topic, i like their approach to gain some cash from the NFC gimmick. It's been proven that it's quite succesful with kids. I just hope gamey games like SSB won't be using blatant cashgrabs like this for assist trophies or even playable characters and that comment about 'Wonder Red on a base' trophy is scaring me already.

I for one would buy some figurines, for collectibles mostly. I don't think i would be able to resist to some FE, Metroid or Kid Icarus figurines for example.

AHA-Lambda

They should have done this years ago, just like the IP licensing announcement. Problem is are they late to the party now?

Can.the market support Skylanders, Disney and Nintendo?

Toxi

Banned
Ugh

I don't like this much at all. It just seems like Nintendo is restricting features and making games more expensive...
I am struggling to understand how this NFC Figurine will make a Nintendo Mario game more fun than it would have been without one.
Same.

bfwings55

A Nintendo thread got derailed by freezie?

twitchtv_emote_faces06.png

How did Freezie manage this time to derail the thread?

The thread is about how Nintendo wants to sell you plastic garbage of their franchise characters which then ties into their franchise games.

Personally, I think Nintendo's over-reliance on the familiar is quite related to the topic at hand. But if you think I'm "derailing", I'll stop.

Sandfox

Ugh

I don't like this much at all. It just seems like Nintendo is restricting features and making games more expensive...

Same.

I really doubt this would be all that restrictive. I'm guessing games will either be built around like Skylanders and Infinity or games will have small side things that work with the figures.

Shiggy

The Nintendo defense force is back in full action. Just because there has only been one original on Wii U from Nintendo, Nintendo Land does not become a new IP. That's like saying Mario Sports Mix was something original.

The Wii U lineup until now has been pretty unambitious and sales reflect that. People played the games on Wii and 3DS already and seem to be tired of just the same. Nintendo took the rehash route ad absurdum with Wii Fit U.

Robin64

The Wii U lineup until now has been pretty unambitious and sales reflect that. People played the games on Wii and 3DS already and seem to be tired of just the same. Nintendo took the rehash route ad absurdum with Wii Fit U.

Because another Forza, another Infamous, another Killzone, another Kinect Sports, another FIFA, another CoD, another Assassin's Creed... These are so much better?

People clearly like "the same". It's far more than this that is responsible for the U being unappealing to people.

8bit

Knows the Score
Posted this in the fiscal thread, but it's probably better here :

Mario Kart is probably too close to make use of the NFP reader thing at launch, but having your Mario or whoever figure importable into Mario Kart & Smash Brothers wearing custom clothes and with earned stats is a neat idea. Your figure becomes a portable memory card that you can take to friends houses to race or import into other games that support it such as Mario Party.

Also, it's a memory card that transfers through generations. Assuming Wii U is toast within the year, the figures are already compatible to next gen bringing stats, suits & hats from your old play time.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
While I get why they want to do it, I'm not sure a 3DS dongle that sits on a desk and has a figurine on top is ideal.

How would you have it they connected figurines to the 3DS then? I can't imagine an easier solution than a wireless dongle, apart from hardware revision which would divide the user base severely.

The whole memory card aspect reminds me of the Wii remote. Remember how useful the memory in that was? (you could store a few Miis) It was pretty good at draining batteries though (something in Wii remotes eats batteries).

I'll wait for E3 to hear more. Cross game compatibility sounds interesting (technically Skylanders are...as in the new portals are backward compatible). My concerns are:
I hope this doesn't turn into on disc DLC unlock keys needed to fully explore your game ala Skylanders and Disney. I'm also worried this is what Sakurai meant by 3DS Wii U interactivity, can't I cut the NFC middleman? Pricing has never been a strong suit of Nintendo so that is another concern. I foresee availability problems too (as in Rosalina is Japan and Italy only as the packaging is too hard to localise). Hopefully no dumb distribution system either (Pokemon Rumble blind bags...)

Also Nintendo being Nintendo I can see these as the only way to transfer saves on Wii U just like how Animal Crossing remains the best retro game compilation the company has put out.

The Nintendo defense force is back in full action. Just because there has only been one original on Wii U from Nintendo, Nintendo Land does not become a new IP. That's like saying Mario Sports Mix was something original.

If you want a new series IP, go to the 3DS. Virtually every new series starts as an A or AA game, as seen with Dillon, Pushmo, or Steel Diver (and its drastically different sequel), and this was true even in the Nintendo 64 days. The 3DS gets the new IPs because 1) its userbase is larger so that even failed experiments can have enough players to return on development costs and 2) the lesser technical capabilities make mid-tier games more par for the course in terms of aesthetics.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't like collecting figurines, so this won't do too much for me (I tried with Disney Infinity and now it is thrown away somewhere in the house), but I hope this will help Nintendo financially.

deleted

So they've only been working on it since last year and it will be a Mario game?

It is reasonable to expect that EAD Tokyo is working on it, right?

Top Bottom