• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life: FIFA 18 On Switch Runs At 60fps In Both Docked and Handheld Mode

rudger

The bigger thing is that it's 1080p docked. I wouldn't have thought EA would try. Frame rates really shouldn't change between docked and handheld since the CPU clocks stay the same. It's a rather important feature of the Switch's design. But great job getting to 60.

pdk27

I can't wait to get this. I have a 9 hour flight three days before it comes out. Wish I could have had it for that.

Koren

I'm annoyed, I admit I'd rather wait for a PES (I'm not fond of Fifa, and I don't play much football anyway), but I kinda feel bad for not rewarding EA for this good job...

They definitively tried (and succeed), I may buy the game just because of this.

PetrCobra

Um, what? Gonna have to wait for Digital Foundry analysis but this seems like EA is actually trying for the first time with one of their "testing" titles.

Hasney

Yeah, you know what? Portable Ultimate Team seems too fucking good. I'll continue the Alex Hunter story when it hits the Origin Vault.

Yudoken

30 fps when the camera zooms in, right?

I hate that about the console versions.

Who had the brilliant idea to lock down that to 30fps instead of lowering the settings on the console versions?

Penalties, free kicks and more are so much worse to control.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's actually quite good.

i'll take 60fps over resolution any day. FIFA is more about the gameplay anyway. people still played these games on PS2 until FIFA 14 after all.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This turned out well. Skyrim turned out well. If NBA turns out well we'll have a nice western third party trifecta going.

DMONKUMA

ca9.gif

Plum

I'm not a sports dude, but I wanna buy this just to support third parties on the Switch.

I'm tempted because portable multiplayer FIFA sounds like it would be very popular here in Britain. Not sure whether that's worth £40 though.

labaronx

Is the switch version running a similar version of the ps4/xb1 versions?

I wonder if this bodes well for a madden switch game next season?

KageMaru

Looks like a good port. Hopefully this sells well and we see more support from EA.

The bigger thing is that it's 1080p docked. I wouldn't have thought EA would try. Frame rates really shouldn't change between docked and handheld since the CPU clocks stay the same. It's a rather important feature of the Switch's design. But great job getting to 60.

1080p isn't too surprising. Sports games tend to run at the highest resolution supported on a console.

pswii60

Am I missing something? When was the last time a FIFA game wasn't 60fps? They've all been 60fps as long as I can remember on all platforms, and I don't see why we would have expected Switch to be any different. Are people really that down on EA that they think they would have purposefully sabataged FIFA Switch with 30fps?

PetrCobra

Does it? Wasnt this version missing a bunch of content?

I don't follow FIFA games but the way people have been reacting to Journey not being in there, I was under the impression it was pretty minor. Anyway major or minor, I'm not sure I would be missing a story mode if I was to buy the game, so... yeah.

LordKano

Am I missing something? When was the last time a FIFA game wasn't 60fps? They've all been 60fps as long as I can remember on all platforms, and I don't see why we would have expected Switch to be any different. Are people really that down on EA that they think they would have purposefully sabataged FIFA Switch with 30fps?

Fifa 13 on Wii U. Hence people's expectations here.
EDIT : after further researches it was only broken during previews and was fixed at release, so I said nothing.

Pif

Banned
Basolutely torn apart ps4 or switch version.

Online on switch sucks balls, but ps4 version is not portable.....

Are third party developers on a Nintendo platform feeling ok???
They are actually trying.

Maybe they figured out that they should at the very least try before they say no one buys third party on Nintendo consoles this time. But to be fair Switch also has differences this time that are not all negative pretty much vs the competition that are valued by consumers making them buy games on the Switch they could play elsewhere with features such as handheld mode, mobility and split screen, local play etc.

Top Bottom