• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life: FIFA 18 On Switch Runs At 60fps In Both Docked and Handheld Mode

zelas

Am I missing something? When was the last time a FIFA game wasn't 60fps? They've all been 60fps as long as I can remember on all platforms, and I don't see why we would have expected Switch to be any different. Are people really that down on EA that they think they would have purposefully sabataged FIFA Switch with 30fps?

You're not missing anything when it comes to consoles. People's expectations are all over the place for whatever reasons.

Kebiinu

Banned
Isn't it missing the Frostbite engine as well?

Only because they couldn't port it in time/get it to work with the Switch. They're using a modified engine for the Switch, people say it's based off Ignite, but it's not the same engine as last gen, according to the devs.

This doesn't have Journey, and I believe that some of the newest animation-related Frostbyte stuff is missing too.

But it has everything else. All the gameplay improvements, modes etc.

It seems to play really well, and many who've tried it are pumped.

And the fact that you can do UT related stuff using your mobile phone as a hotspot, it is huge. And I bet that playing some online matches even is ok, if you can handle the traffic (unlimited data plan etc.).

EA did good, and buying this game digitally you can avoid that whole body dick that is in the cover this year. I gladly pay a few euros extra if it means that I don't have to look that prick in my living room.

Kyzer

Banned
Do you?

The game targeted and ran at 60fps during actual gameplay.

The only shitty port of FIFA that even hit the system for an entire generation? Yes that is the one that I remember im pretty sure. The one that was like the previous years version but worse. Are you saying peoples low expectations are not justified because FIFA 13 on Wii U was 60 fps lol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Does the Switch version have the same menus and presentation as the other versions? I just want to be able to play career mode in bed without any compromises.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not into FIFA myself, but I can see this being a real hit, especially in the UK.

Good on EA for seeing the potential and not throwing away the chance.

The game isn't pushing Switch's hardware in graphical fidelity at least, its nice they're aiming for performance and IQ resolution at least

jariw

Are third party developers on a Nintendo platform feeling ok???
They are actually trying.

It's easier to try on a platform that's developer-friendly. There have now been so many developer stories about the Switch being easy to develop for, so much content released during the first 6 months and so few delays, so IMO it's reason to believe that Nintendo actually built a good platform for 3rd party devs.

zelas

The only shitty port of FIFA that even hit the system for an entire generation? Yes that is the one that I remember im pretty sure. The one that was like the previous years version but worse. Are you saying peoples low expectations are not justified because FIFA 13 on Wii U was 60 fps lol
Yes I'm saying that nobody is justified in expecting FIFA on Switch to not target 60 fps in spite of the decade of 60 fps history we have with EA and worse hardware. Why are people acting like the power gap between the Switch and PS4/XB1 isnt smaller compared to the Wii U?

30 fps when the camera zooms in, right?

I hate that about the console versions.

Who had the brilliant idea to lock down that to 30fps instead of lowering the settings on the console versions?

Penalties, free kicks and more are so much worse to control.

Wait, really? I've played fifa for years and never noticed that, are you sure that's a thing because that's blowing my mind.

Yudoken

Wait, really? I've played fifa for years and never noticed that, are you sure that's a thing because that's blowing my mind.

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's also in 17/18 which is really annoying (last time I played Fifa 17 was several months ago but I bet it's still not changed because it takes too much performance on consoles).

The only way to get true 60 fps Fifa gameplay including close ups is to enable ''unlock fps'' in the pc version (do not choose 60fps, it locks to 30 when zoomed too) and with nvidia/amd settings enable vsync.

Edit:
Yep, as I remember correctly it's still in Fifa 17 and you still have to do the small workaround on pc.

''Built-in "60 FPS lock" option locks the framerate to 30 in menus, cutscenes, free kicks and some other situations. Disable the frame limiter from the launcher and force V-Sync via graphics card control panel to avoid this.''

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There's a case to be made Fifa 13 on Wii U was one of the best Fifa ever made. Based on Fifa 12 (my favorite in the series) with enhancements. What dragged it down was the non off TV mode (full of lag), and the absence of Utlimate Team mode. Otherwise it was an amazing version.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is the switch version running a similar version of the ps4/xb1 versions?

I wonder if this bodes well for a madden switch game next season?

Nope. Switch version is running on an entirely custom engine to take advantage of Switch. IIRC that's one of the reasons given for why they couldn't get the story mode over.

Other than that it has feature parity afaik.

elohel

honestly the switch hardware seems pretty great for a hybrid so it's semi surprising that bigger titles are getting the same optimizations as their beefier console counter parts

labaronx

Nope. Switch version is running on an entirely custom engine to take advantage of Switch. IIRC that's one of the reasons given for why they couldn't get the story mode over.

Other than that it has feature parity afaik.

Bummer but thanks for the reply

Hattori

Banned
Been playing portable Fifa on my tiny laptop with a wireless controller for years at 60fps, just saying.
KVnByD3_d.jpg

Top Bottom