• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

EA: so...how about that origin now?

Nintendo: nah

EA: ok, we'll give you Mass Effect Andromeda...
in late 2017

Meeting ends

Mael

These are businesses. No one likes each other. ;)
I honestly believe that without EA sports, a console cannot become a massive succes in Europe.

People underestimate how important games like Fifa are for casual gamers.

Wii didn't need it and EA adapted its tune accordingly.
Nintendo isn't trying to recreate the Wii I think so a more traditional approach may work better for them.
Without an alternative Fifa is alone in its segment and same goes for Madden.
EA can produce pretty much any kind of sports game with varying degree of success (wtf nba live?) so if you want sports fans it's not a bad idea to have them.
It's not like Nintendo is interested in making the goods themselves after all.

Instro

Some sort of EA codevelopment on Nintendo's own sport properties like 1080 and Waverace could help bolster that audience and improve the partnership. Dunno if either would be interested in something like that, but it would be cool.

Vena

Nice. Hopefully this is some evidence Nintendo is really pursuing 3rd party relationships this coming generation. Would be great if they could get some real support

3DS is gonna have one hell of a final year with the coming lineup and price drop...based on Trev's now verified source.

Xellos

I'd rather see Nintendo develop an exclusive football game (even though they couldn't use the NFL license). No amount of advertising or cross promotion is going to get people excited for a NX port of Madden.

Pokemaniac

It almost instantly became a legacy platform for third party developers, especially ones like EA sports.

Now you're just twisting the meanings of words.

These are businesses. No one likes each other. ;)
I honestly believe that without EA sports, a console cannot become a massive succes in Europe.

People underestimate how important games like Fifa are for casual gamers. Nintendo fans don't care about Fifa, but that's not the point.

EA (and EA sports in particular) has continually shown that, even when Nintendo is on top, they're not willing to give Nintendo systems proper support. Unless there's been a major leadership change since then, trying to get their support would be throwing good money after bad.

Maniel

Banned
I'm not big into sports games, but if this meeting results in EA's other games getting ported to NX that would be fantastic. One of the big problems I have with ps4 is that the online isn't free. If online stays free on NX, I would definitely buy all my 3rd party games there and I wouldn't have to worry about that yearly renewal to play my games.

notaskwid

Nintendo will probably prefer to bundle their console with the new NEXT BIG THING and watch the console join Wii U and Gamecube in the hall of fame.

Most insiders don't talk much in detail about their sources, I don't think that's a reason to doubt Tamaki. The fact that he's wishy washy is only natural, things can change and sources can be off.

Anyways, good going Trev on the gaf approval. 1st Gaf insider meeting is next month on the 2nd, and you'll be having tea and biscuits at shockingalberto's place.
I always have my doubts.. if you cant talk of source then it means little. Especially if you are popular you can say whatever. I remember that one famousmortier or whatever getting a big head during them xbone ps4 days and exhausted himself

Mael

EA (and EA sports in particular) has continually shown that, even when Nintendo is on top, they're not willing to give Nintendo systems proper support. Unless there's been a major leadership change since then, trying to get their support would be throwing good money after bad.

If EA games are bundled with the platform, EA kinda has to support it with non BS titles.
After all the platform will be tied to their names then.
While you push under the rug some low quality effort like the BS they gave Wii and WiiU you can't distance yourself from a product that's going to be front and center.
It would be bad for EA if their products where to be tied with shitty games with no marketing from them.

Also EA Sports gave years of support to Wii. they changed to kiddy BS midway but still they gave proper support especially compared to the BS the rest of the company was making.

Lingitiz

Nice. Hopefully this is some evidence Nintendo is really pursuing 3rd party relationships this coming generation. Would be great if they could get some real support

The fact that part of NX will be a handheld should mean that Capcom, Atlus, Square Enix, and all the smaller Japanese third party pubs/devs will be carrying their 3DS support over. As for the big western AAA publishers...different story.

It's even more bizarre when you consider that they're most likely talking about the launch window, and non-exclusive third party games bundled with consoles is something which pretty much just doesn't happen at launch.

I bought an Xbox One + FIFA 14 bundle on launch (UK).

Malus

I always have my doubts.. if you cant talk of source then it means little. Especially if you are popular you can say whatever. I remember that one famousmortier or whatever getting a big head during them xbone ps4 days and exhausted himself

That's why track record is important. We know enough about Tamaki to say that he knows some things and isn't just a crazy twitter guy.

The fact that part of NX will be a handheld should mean that Capcom, Atlus, Square Enix, and all the smaller Japanese third party pubs/devs will be carrying their 3DS support over. As for the big western AAA publishers...different story.

Thats the key though really. If they want to make any waves at all in NA and Europe they need some good 3rd party Western suport. The Nintendo core fanbase is not enough to carry them on their own, hence Wii U and GameCube sales.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Yeah, of course EA have dev kits to evaluate, and of course both parties are talking. In terms of business opportunity for both EA and Nintendo it's best if they hedge their bets and perform 'due diligence', otherwise EA shareholders would have a field day if NX was a huge hit out of nowhere. Nintendo also realise they need 3rd party support nowadays as they simply cannot develop enough in-house to cover all genres/markets.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything fruitful will come of it.

Hopefully Nintendo manages to remove its head from its habitual resting place in the sand in time for these meetings with EA. A modern console cannot succeed in the west without yearly Madden and FIFA entries. Fingers crossed they can finally make it happen.

This made me think of something crazy. Nintendo has sports IPs they don't use. EA makes lots of sports games but usually of the simulation variety. Nintendo wants EA games. EA wants Nintendo to nurture a market for their games on their consoles.

What if Nintendo and EA collaborated on one of Nintendo's forgotten sports IPs? What would an EA developed and Nintendo produced Wave Race, 1080, or even F-Zero look like? /crazy thought.

Some sort of EA codevelopment on Nintendo's own sport properties like 1080 and Waverace could help bolster that audience and improve the partnership. Dunno if either would be interested in something like that, but it would be cool.

Basically this.

According to Nintendo Life, Electronic Arts is telling Nintendo that they need to do a better job at cultivating a sports audience on Nintendo platforms, if they want EA to aggressively support the NX. They're asking Nintendo to do more co-marketing partnerships with EA, they want NX EA Sports console bundles, and they want Nintendo to do a better job marketing NX to fans of sports games during major televised sporting events. Sony and Microsoft have spent tons of money advertising the PS4 and XB1 to sports fans.

Source: Nintendo Life

These all seem like reasonable demands on EA's part and I hope Tatsumi Kimishima is up to the challenge.

I'd rather see Nintendo develop an exclusive football game (even though they couldn't use the NFL license). No amount of advertising or cross promotion is going to get people excited for a NX port of Madden.

It's not about getting people excited for an NX port, it's about developing a stable/sustainable/competitive user base -- making a Nintendo console attractive for the kind of people that buy CoD and FIFA/Madden every year.

What (realistically) could Nintendo even do to convince EA their console platform is worthwhile?

The kind of things outlined in the OP and make inroads with the kind of people that buy EA titles in NA, EU, etc.

Mael

Hopefully Nintendo manages to remove its head from its habitual resting place in the sand in time for these meetings with EA. A modern console cannot succeed in the west without yearly Madden and FIFA entries. Fingers crossed they can finally make it happen.

This made me think of something crazy. Nintendo has sports IPs they don't use. EA makes lots of sports games but usually of the simulation variety. Nintendo wants EA games. EA wants Nintendo to nurture a market for their games on their consoles.

What if Nintendo and EA collaborated on one of Nintendo's forgotten sports IPs? What would an EA developed and Nintendo produced Wave Race, 1080, or even F-Zero look like? /crazy thought.

Out of all of Nintendo's IP, 1080 is the closest to what EA does.
It's certainly the closest to simulation that they have.
I mean jetski could work but Fzero is everything but a simulation.
The issue now being that maybe people at EA don't want to work on a snowboarding game or a jetski game.
Seriously when was the last one from these types released?

Hiltz

Unfortunately, I don't really see any solution to Nintendo having healthy third party sports games sales on its home console no matter what console bundle incentives, greater marketing collaboration efforts Nintendo tries to have with EA. It doesn't have the target audience that Sony and Microsoft's respective home consoles do, so the software sales will never be considered important to EA. It won't matter how powerful NX will be. Why would a lot of people chose to buy it on NX when they already own a PS4 ? Potential free online multiplayer and whatever new gimmicks Nintendo has to offer is not going to convince many sports gamers and their friends to want to play them on NX.

Nintendo really dropped the ball with bundles with wiiu

zombiu with pro controller was the only one they actually put effort into

What (realistically) could Nintendo even do to convince EA their console platform is worthwhile?

It's not really about convincing them that it's worthwhile, but more convincing them that they've got a decent plan that makes it seem worthwhile. It's important for potential partners to understand that Nintendo are doing work to make sure that the console is more of a success than the Wii U.

Nintendo's issue is that they rely on a certain demographic, but that demographic often doesn't pick up Nintendo consoles because their friends are playing Xbox or Playstation. They need to show that they're marketing to younger audiences, as well as older gamers that they don't normally play up. At the moment, Nintendo only really markets on Nickelodeon and similar channels. Beyond that, we don't really see them anywhere else. EA is correct in saying that they should marketing during big sports events, but I think they should be pushing TV premiers and pre-movie trailers.

If potential partners see that they have a solid roadmap and are willing to take advice in places where they're not particularly savvy, they'll bite. After that, it's up to Nintendo to keep their word.

This a good sign. Nintendo needs to amend relations with western third-parties and the EA split was a major hit to it's already shaken relationship, everyone left afterwards. The more and consistent third-party support the better.

Hmm... this?

Loris146

According to sources within EA, this is actually seen as something of an insult, and the company will be asking Nintendo to consider shipping NX consoles with leading EA Sports titles, such as FIFA and Madden

I tought MS had the exclusive marketing of these games.

Hugstable

Banned
EA and Nintendo should have had meetings about the Wii U and 3DS a long time ago.

They did on the Wii U, hence that "Unprecedented Partnership" thing. Just after the Wii U was not selling good, especially EA games (though alot of that is on them, most of what they shipped was very late ass ports), so it wasn't surprising to see them leave. And I doubt EA wants anything to do with dedicated handhelds.

They did on the Wii U, hence that "Unprecedented Partnership" thing. Just after the Wii U was not selling good, especially EA games (though alot of that is on them, most of what they shipped was very late ass ports), so it wasn't surprising to see them leave. And I doubt EA wants anything to do with dedicated handhelds.

EA decision to left and whatever happened to cause the decision was prior to Wii U's release, there was nothing to do with sales. The departure sparked a chain reaction in the western community and everyone else left Nintendo, similar to the Square departure situation in Japan during the N64 era.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Can't imagine why their NX support will be any different then.

Pokemaniac

EA definitely didn't make their decision based on sales data. They started cancelling games before the system even released, and they had clearly already bailed by the time launch came around.

EDarkness

EA, listen...listen close:

Reboot SSX

Use the colorful graphics of the past. No grittiness, no cliffs to fall off--just colorful riders, huge fireworks, great graphics, and snowboarding.

It would be a perfect fit.

I agree with this. I have been playing SSX 3 on the Cube and the Wii version as well just to get my SSX fix. I wish SSX for the 360 was actually a real SSX game, but hopefully they'll try again. If its like the old SSX games, I'll be there day one.

Oddduck

I tought MS had the exclusive marketing of these games.

I can't imagine that these exclusive marketing deals last more than a year.

Sony has been getting some EA Sports bundles.

15189735035_cd054fd14a_h.jpg
20573408580_a6fec7cd96_b.jpg

SalvaPot

Honestly EA Sports games are a big deal, and a collaboration with NIntendo on does will make it more likely they won't suck.

Also if I can get a FIFA X Mario Strikers Crossover I'll buy that in a heartbeat.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Not a defense of Nintendo(because they let it get to this point) but having to outbid their competitors just to get the game is kind of untenable situation. MS would still be getting up-to-date versions of Fifa and Madden even without their exclusive marketing and EA Access.

I'm not too sure because I'm fairly sure that's the exact kind of thing Nintendo would do if third parties wanted it.

yes but the point is, MS and PS4 spend millions against this audience already.

So the way I read this, it's not 'give us money and we'll do it," more like 'we want to sell on your platform, but we need to know some things first: you're willing to invest in the content, or you're willing to invest in the audience, or some kind of combination of the two'

Basically, a plan. A plan to set up EA Sports titles for success on Nintendo systems.

That's the question, the strategies and tactics are up to Nintendo to put together, and convince EA to give them a go.

Trojan

If they're just having meetings about this in March, then either the NX is coming out in 2017 of its going to launch in 2016 with piss poor 3rd party support (again).

The big N doesn't need shallow annual roster updated in its system.
Actually, if Nintendo wants to compete with MS and Sony better have EA in their side, otherwise better call it's console, the new WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom