• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

Yep the first Madden release was decent though lacked online. Then for some reason they decided they needed to completely retool Madden on Wii and it just destroyed the series on Wii. I mean Madden Wii was a big seller out the gate. Then they basically told all those football fans too bad time for a grandma friendly madden with cartoonier graphics and totally demolished gameplay

Think they did the same with need for speed too with some graffiti gimmick added.

Josh5890

Holy cow. If EA Sports is on board with Nintendo I am going to be excited. Sports games are pretty much the only reason I still pay for Playstation Plus

jnWake

EA has some fair points, especially about the apps.

However, as pointed out by some people, no marketing and bundling will help if the NX entries are worse than the PS4 and XB1 ones, which happened on Wii U's launch.

_PsiFire_

Thankfully you are not the only market, because this is whiny nonsense. I'm sorry that millions of people enjoying sports games bothers you.

It doesn't bother me at all.

Here's my issue, I'd rather EA not try to market their sports games on a system whose fanbase continuously shuns.

Try and put out the other games on it and not a late port of a 3rd game in the series when a collection comes out mere months later for other systems. Then have the nerve to say the fans of said systems don't buy your software.

Say I'm whining, that's really not what I'm doing. I'm simply stating that a company shouldn't do what they've always done and expect different results.

If the NX isn't as powerful as PS4/XBO EA shouldn't bother.

If they are only in with their sports games at first I'd also rather they not bother. Because we know how that'll go in the grand scheme of things.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Could someone make it for me? Either that or it will need to wait until later. Just make sure you put my update in about Pokemon Niji - the document I saw didn't say the word "Rainbow" in it, that was my mistake for just google translating "Niji" and getting "Rainbow" the Pokemon game just has Niji as the code name.

Going out to get some drinks with the wife....lol. Just kidding, just really busy at the moment.

What are these juicy rumours all about? Would anybody care to fill me in?

Maybe excited was the wrong word. I'm saying that not many people would buy Madden (or Live/FIFA/whatever) on NX when it's already available on PS4 and Xbox, even if Nintendo puts a big push behind it. EA's audience already owns Xbox or Playstation.

I can see your point, however, we'll see what happens.

I started gaming with the NES. And that's the irony of the situation as Nintendo was on the right track with the N64 with third/second party exclusives like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games etc.

But they started to lose that with the GC not selling well, and totally lost it with the Wii being too underpowered to port PS3/360 games to very easily.

And no, there wasn't much of an audience for those type of games on the Wii. Looking at a list of the top selling Wii games, the only ones of that type I see over 1 million (on a console that had a base of over 100 million) are:

RE4 Wii Edition-2 million
Metroid Prime 3- 1.4 million
RE: The Umbrella Chronicles- 1.3 million
CoD: World at War- over 1 million
Red Steel- 1 million

And how many of those sales were to the core Nintendo fans that are still on board with the brand, vs. core gamers that bought the console for Wii Sports or Wii Fit and tried out some of the few exclusives or ports in genres they like on their main platforms? Hard to say.

Hell, even looking at the sports games, the Madden ports didn't even break a million sales.

Nintendo isn't going to get third parties on board unless they make it easy to port from the PS4/360 AND the NX base buys those games at high attach rates from the start.

Dude, you said games like Dead Space, Battlefield etc. never managed to sell historically on Nintendo platforms and they actually did, as the numbers yourself provided indicates that and you also confirmed the N64 days situation. Sure, Wii version were not on par with PS3/360, which were the definitive versions of those games, but actually did solid numbers. This is pretty much Steam-level sales nowadays and you can't hear anyone screaming "Steam games can't sell!!!!". There was an audience on Wii, better sales on rival platforms aren't a valid argument to dismiss that. That's something Nintendo needs to bring it back on NX and educate their userbase to buy those games.

Damn man, the moment you see a new Ninty thread and hoping it's something really interesting, but it really isn't. The thirst is real for some actual NX news. The question remains, will Ninty spill any beans or keep it all for E3?

This coming from the same guy (Liam) who was so sure Shovel Knight was going to be In Smash Bros. per his "sources". Don't take anything this guy says seriously.

Y'all give EA shit for the supposed 'unprecedented partnership' with the Wii U but I can't blame them for what happened - at all. This was totally on Nintendo and I can't imagine them trying to build a sports fanbase on the NX by doing all the things EA wants them to do/things that cost a lot of money.

No. It was entirely on EA.

They pulled any real support before the WiiU came out, and what little they released was half-hearted shite, because Nintendo didn't give in to EA trying to strongarm them into making the WiiU the Origin console.

Im sorry (not really) but i see this as a nintendo problem. At least a 60/40 split with nintendo being responsible for the bigger chunk.
Nintendo's most successful console of all time had plenty of EA games in a wide variety of genres, and many of them sold well. I think the Wii has the most EA exclusives out of the last-gen consoles. Nintendo's second-best-selling console was the same way.

But SNES? GameCube? And most recently, the Wii U? EA ducked when the profits were even somewhat not totally lucrative in EA's favor.

EA is a fair-weather friend to the other console manufacturers too, but they are especially bad with Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, you said games like Dead Space, Battlefield etc. never managed to sell historically on Nintendo platforms and they actually did, as the numbers yourself provided indicates that and you also confirmed the N64 days situation. Sure, Wii version were not on par with PS3/360, which were the definitive versions of those games, but actually did solid numbers. This is pretty much Steam-level sales nowadays and you can't hear anyone screaming "Steam games can't sell!!!!". There was an audience on Wii, better sales on rival platforms aren't a valid argument to dismiss that. That's something Nintendo needs to bring it back on NX and educate their userbase to buy those games.

1. Those are terrible sales numbers given the 100 million base. If I counted right the best selling of those, RE4 was number 30 most sold list. So those type of games just ate t big with Nintendo's base.

2. Most of the few million that bought those on Wii probably aren't current Nintendo system owners, given the lack of those type of games on Wii U or 3DS.

So if I was a third party publisher I wouldn't give the NX a second thought for those type of games unless it both sells super well and shows there's a market for those types of games (by Nintendo getting some exclusives that do well by funding development or doing them in house).

I love Nintendo. Have a Wii U, 3DS and 23 Amiibo, yet I don't care about those types of games coming to Nintendo consoles. I'm going to play them on PS4 or X1 where they look better, I prefer the controllers and where my friends are playing online (for games that matter). I buy Nintendo consoles for their games, and the odd third party game in that style that's not in the other platforms.

A lot of Nintendo's base is that way, or die hards that only like Nintendo's style of games and don't like shooters, GTA/AC types of games, sports sims etc. Nintendo has a tough road to hoe to change that vs. just finding ways to profit off their base and as a secondary platform for core gamers. Only time will tell of course.

This coming from the same guy (Liam) who was so sure Shovel Knight was going to be In Smash Bros. per his "sources". Don't take anything this guy says seriously.
I thought he and Emily Rogers were pretty reliable?

Emily leaked the Paper Mario U rumor last month and Liam backed her up with a couple others.

I hope that Paper Mario Wii U is true.

I'll buy Chel and Mass Effect: Andromeda for my Nintendo console, EA. But actually wait, what EA sports titles typically release in the Fall?

antonz

They pulled any real support before the WiiU came out, and what little they released was half-hearted shite, because Nintendo didn't give in to EA trying to strongarm them into making the WiiU the Origin console.

Goes well beyond any online dispute. Nintendo released a console that could not handle the engine EA bet their entire future on. Wii U in reality was not the awesome device that Nintendo had hyped up to developers

Zubz

Banned
If it's like what they did with Mass Effect and the Wii U the NX will get Madden '17 while Xbone/PS4 get EA Sports Collection '17 for the same price.

I will never not be salty about that. ME3's Wii U version is why I don't trust much to come out of this deal.

diaspora

The Wii U had no future with the Frostbite engine which EA's placed the entirety of their non-sports library on.

I was bummed to see the other (only) NX thread was closed. At least we now know Trev/SMD64's source is legit.

As for EA meeting with Nintendo... this is good news. If they have had devkits since mid-2015 and this meeting is for marketing, then perhaps they already have a few titles or ports in development?

EDarkness

I'll buy Chel and Mass Effect: Andromeda for my Nintendo console, EA. But actually wait, what EA sports titles typically release in the Fall?

I would be all over a Mass Effect game that supported the remote and nunchuck. I would be there day one. Normally, I buy Mass Effect on my PC, but I'd make an exception this time.

Oddduck

Nintendo's most successful console of all time had plenty of EA games in a wide variety of genres, and many of them sold well. I think the Wii has the most EA exclusives out of the last-gen consoles. Nintendo's second-best-selling console was the same way.

But SNES? GameCube? And most recently, the Wii U? EA ducked when the profits were even somewhat not totally lucrative in EA's favor.

EA is a fair-weather friend to the other console manufacturers too, but they are especially bad with Nintendo.

With all due respect, I don't know where you're getting this idea that EA ducked on GameCube.

James Bond, The Simpsons, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Def Jam, Medal of Honor, Burnout, Need for Speed, SSX, Madden, NBA Street Volume 1 - 3, FIFA, NBA Live, MVP Baseball, Tiger Woods, NHL, Nascar, The Sims, TimeSplitters 3, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Freedom Fighters.

All of those franchises were published by EA for GameCube.

-Horizon-

Nintendo should not ignore EA who is one of the biggest publishers in the world.

If Andromeda hit the NX- as unlikely as it may be, I would buy it along side my PC preorder.
Would you still get it 8 months later at full price after the game initially releases on x1/ps4/pc?

evanmisha

Wasn't it that he learned of the existence of the Shovel Knight Amiibo and took that to mean he was getting in Smash?

diaspora

Between EA (and most big Western companies) and Nintendo I think it's important to ask ourselves: was the Wii U's hardware, documentation, and developer support conducive to the ongoing- or any support from companies using the Frostbite, Ignite, UE4, AnvilNext, or SnowDrop engines? Frankly, I think the answer is no. While sure, I think the Wii U's hardware was at least as good if not better than the 360 and PS3, that only helps at least for the first what- 6-18 months, if that? This doesn't even take into consideration what Nintendo's documentation, and developer tools/support would have looked like for the system too.

Would you still get it 8 months later at full price after the game initially releases on x1/ps4/pc?

I buy all of my games at full price at launch at 30% off. Either way, if it had pointer controls, sure.

CO_Andy

just like the good ol' days for peter moore

147714520_1a4d85256e.jpg

Pinky

Banned
For what it's worth, the above poster's source finally checked out. Do with that as you will.

Thank you! You're the man bishoptl!

Great to know! I never doubted you, Trev. You did well and took the appropriate steps. You treaded carefully and made it a top priority to get yourself and your source verified. Looking forward to more info when and if it becomes available(and if you decide if it's appropriate to share, of course ;)) I also subscribed to your channel on YouTube. Keep it up!

-Horizon-

I buy all of my games at full price at launch at 30% off. Either way, if it had pointer controls, sure.
I just think that accepting that kind of stuff is encouraging bad behavior by these pubs. Getting full priced late ports that is.

Hopefully with the NX, porting is not a big issue and there shouldn't be an excuse for late ports being a thing.

diaspora

Nintendo: Hey EA, wanna make games for our new console?

EA: Nah, we're good.

Meeting adjourned.

Here's the thing. If theoretically, Frostbite and future iterations of Frostbite are the core of EA's business plans moving forward in terms of product releases and the NX can run the engine at least as well as its contemporaries, and Nintendo offers robust developer tools and support then yes, I think we would see EA games on the system. The problem with the Wii U is that it was none of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom