• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if EA is holding their upcoming core titles "hostage" in order to get Nintendo to sign EA Sports marketing/console bundle deals.

Like, "You can have Mass Effect: Andromeda on the same day as the other two consoles, but only if you take this marketing deal."

Would they do something like that?

Chindogg

I wonder if EA is holding their upcoming core titles "hostage" in order to get Nintendo to sign EA Sports marketing/console bundle deals.

Like, "You can have Mass Effect: Andromeda on the same day as the other two consoles, but only if you take this marketing deal."

It's EA so yes.

Would Nintendo take it? Maybe.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nintendo's most successful console of all time had plenty of EA games in a wide variety of genres, and many of them sold well. I think the Wii has the most EA exclusives out of the last-gen consoles. Nintendo's second-best-selling console was the same way.

But SNES? GameCube? And most recently, the Wii U? EA ducked when the profits were even somewhat not totally lucrative in EA's favor.

EA is a fair-weather friend to the other console manufacturers too, but they are especially bad with Nintendo.

Really? Didnt know there were EA-games on the Nes.

SalvaPot

EA has been playing hardball with console manufacturers for 25ish years now, they recognize their position in the world and do everything it takes to improve it.

History has been good to those who caved to it (Sega with Genesis, MS with the original XBOX) and fairly poor to those who ignore it (Sega with Dreamcast, Nintendo with Wii U) Now I'm not saying that's the only reason those consoles had a rough time, hell it's not even the primary reason, but it certainly didn't help.

Nintendo did try to get pretty close to EA Sports during the middle years of the GCN to mixed results.

I agree with this. I am a huge Nintendo defender, and I hate a lot of the decisions has made over the last few years, but there is no denying that both are Huge players that won't give in.

Here is the thing, the Nintendo Life article sounds like they are trying to reach a mutual agreement that will benefit both. Its clear they had a fallback with the Wii U, and the fact that EA has not just completely walked out or prideful enough to not try and do a new deal for the NX means they do feel there is money to be made.

This is a business and both of them want to have an advantageous position. The article make it sound like reasonable demands, and if they are true there could be a compromise to be made. Maybe not direct funding, but yes to a collaboration with the Nintendo IP, that is proven and true.

My letter to EA as a Nintendo fan.

I believe I speak for the majority* of Nintendo fans here.

We don't give a FUCK about your sports games. We want your other games! The Dead Space, the Mirrors Edge, the Battlefront.

If there’s any truth to this at all, tell Nintendo to help garner attention to these games on the NX because no matter what Nintendo does to help out with your sports games we still won't be buying this shit.

Maybe golf would do well, as it had on the Wii. The rest could go fuck themselves

Give us what Nintendo fans love.

Action and Adventure!

*majority as according to me.

I think Nintendo should have to prove it can even get the sports fans to buy the system before EA gives them the other titles. Nintendo sadly has a lot to prove with the NX if they want to succeed with both 3rd parties and consumers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I agree with this. I am a huge Nintendo defender, and I hate a lot of the decisions has made over the last few years, but there is no denying that both are Huge players that won't give in.

Here is the thing, the Nintendo Life article sounds like they are trying to reach a mutual agreement that will benefit both. Its clear they had a fallback with the Wii U, and the fact that EA has not just completely walked out or prideful enough to not try and do a new deal for the NX means they do feel there is money to be made.

This is a business and both of them want to have an advantageous position. The article make it sound like reasonable demands, and if they are true there could be a compromise to be made. Maybe not direct funding, but yes to a collaboration with the Nintendo IP, that is proven and true.

They had Sega by the balls twice. Once when they legally reverse engineered the Genesis cart and could have literally hijacked all third party publishing. Sega caved and they became huge partners for that generation. Then EA tried even harder in the Dreamcast days by basically telling Sega to abandon their first party sports studio and then they'll get Madden et al. Sega didn't go for this and it was seen as a pretty big deal though in reality the Dreamcast didn't even last long enough in the west for it to matter terribly much.

EA also pulled the same move on MS and also demanded a cut of live revenue and despite spending millions setting up their sports studios they happily agreed. Think of how different the PS360 fight might have been if Madden and FIFA were PS3 exclusives.

EA potentially wanting bundle or marketing deals with Nintendo for NX is pretty much EA throwing Nintendo a bone. It's the big games from third party publishers that really drive hardware sales in the west and being bundled with one of those titles can do wonders for a hardware manufacturer.

It's interesting how some are perceiving this as bullying when it seems more like offering Nintendo a lifeline in the west.

I don't like the sound of this EA is making all of the demands here

NX could be the EA sports machine but that is really not a good reason for me to own a Nintendo console I only buy Need for Speed (the good ones)

oh well with Iwata gone they might as well give EA what they ask for

Thing is, it's not about any single gamer. Nintendo wants they're fans and EA's.

El Sabroso

We don't give a FUCK about your sports games. We want your other games! The Dead Space, the Mirrors Edge, the Battlefront.

If there’s any truth to this at all, tell Nintendo to help garner attention to these games on the NX because no matter what Nintendo does to help out with your sports games we still won't be buying this shit.

Maybe golf would do well, as it had on the Wii. The rest could go fuck themselves

Action and Adventure!

I mean, if we get those bolded just accepting the new FIFA stuff, I'm fine, but I don't want another Wii U situation where EA was a "interested" in bringing Battlefield 3 and just gave some games that were no interesting to me (NFS at least was really interesting for some ppl and looks like a good port)

totowhoa

Banned

Yeah. This seems like a perfectly reasonable business negotiation IMO. I'm sure EA's level of support will vary depending on Nintendo's investment in third parties like EA.. exactly what the OP's rumor is about

SalvaPot

They had Sega by the balls twice. Once when they legally reverse engineered the Genesis cart and could have literally hijacked all third party publishing. Sega caved and they became huge partners for that generation. Then EA tried even harder in the Dreamcast days by basically telling Sega to abandon their first party sports studio and then they'll get Madden et al. Sega didn't go for this and it was seen as a pretty big deal though in reality the Dreamcast didn't even last long enough in the west for it to matter terribly much.

EA also pulled the same move on MS and also demanded a cut of live revenue and despite spending millions setting up their sports studios they happily agreed. Think of how different the PS360 fight might have been if Madden and FIFA were PS3 exclusives.

Yep, hence why I am inclined to believe the Origin service rumors, since it sounds like the kind of thing that would be a harsh No from Nintendo. Its the kind of stuff that would put them in a bad position, and we know Nintendo likes to be as independent and dominant as they can.

Honestly I want this partnership to be a give and take relationship, not a race to screw each other.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
C'mon EA, let's see NBA Jam and NFL Blitz 2017. That would be what fit most in my memories of sports gaming on Nintendo consoles.

I think this would be a great idea for both EA and Nintendo. Bring back arcade titles like NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, SSX with some sort of exclusivity timeframe/bundle.

All this hinges on what Nintendo is going to do with their controller. I don't think Nintendo will ever be able to get the sports crowd from Sony/MS but more exclusive arcade-sequel games like the ones I mentioned would just help bolster Nintendo's third party offerings.

My main concern is EA will just put shovelware on the console like they did with the Wii.

There is no doubt in my mind though, from everything we know about NX, Nintendo will not screw up 3rd party relations like they did with the Wii U.

Nintendo is consolidating it's first party games with what's presumably going to be a hybrid console/handheld. And if the specs are anywhere close to the Xbox One/PS4 we'll be seeing easy ports of games like Dragon Quest 11 which has already been essentially announced for NX.

A Dragon Quest mainline hitting a Nintendo console is a big deal and a good indication Nintendo is serious about 3rd party support and has been in contact with all the major developers for some time now.

Fredrik

My guess, EA will probably just make a few late ports to test the waters.
And then use the bad sales of these late ports that nobody want to prove that third party games aren't selling on Nintendo system and never release another game on the console.

trixx

I would be very surprised if this happens. There's too many benefits to getting the sports games on other consoles. Unless Nintendo is my only console, why would I get Fifa for it when I could play on ps4/xbone where most of my friends will be playing and likely has better online, better support and generally better quality game overall?

If I do get an NX and this happens I'll probably support it but lol

Have the games available at launch or shortly after not extremely late ports then lets assess the sales of the titles. Nintendo needs better third party relations, especially with western companies but again aside from Ubisoft, activision and warner bros(?) I doubt this will occur.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not exactly, one thing is to court third party by doing what, for example, Sony and Microsoft are doing by offering to fund games by themselves and essentially ironing the bonds between them while another is having an outsider telling you how to spend your money if you want their games on your platform. One is a position of dominance while the other is total desperation.
My general idea would be to fund good third party games (so to make your own audience grow) while throwing jabs at whoever is acting like a princess (in this case EA) and showing them how these other games (maybe similar to the ones these produces) do well on your platforms.
Yes it would be costly but more effective.

Dunno i see this having advantages only in the short term sincerely.

throwing jabs at EA? i feel like you are joking here. Why will Nintendo do that and sour their relationship further, even if Nintendo is in the position to do so? It only makes Nintendo look petty and arrogant.

How is the strategy of funding good 3rd party suppose to work? Even the diehard Nintendo fans aint hyping or supporting many good 3rd party games, it make no sense that non-Nintendo fans will buy them too.

Chindogg

This is very interesting. I really don't see why Nintendo wouldn't take the deal.

Here's why:

While Nintendo were monopolizing dicks in the 90s, EA is just as bad and only has continued being awful. They basically have console manufacturers by the balls since sports games sell so much among the casuals. FIFA alone could make or break a console.

Pretty bad way of looking at the genesis situation, Sega had massive shortages of everything, including carts. EA offered them a deal.
When Sonic 1 sold 15million, yet the average non major publisher game was limited to 10k in first press... yea

I mean, if we get those bolded just accepting the new FIFA stuff, I'm fine, but I don't want another Wii U situation where EA was a "interested" in bringing Battlefield 3 and just gave some games that were no interesting to me (NFS at least was really interesting for some ppl and looks like a good port)

Highly doubt you do, but I digress.

jholmes

Finally, there's the topic of applications. Sources claim that during a December meeting between EA and Nintendo executives, an EA exec "criticized Wii U for not having entertainment apps for MLB.TV, NBA, WWE Network, NHL Gamecenter Live, and the NFL". The PlayStation 4 has all of those applications, and EA feels that this is key reason for the machine's success among sports fans. The demand here is that Nintendo ensures NX is able to run such apps, or offer similar functionality to entice sports fans.

I've said this many times before, but the fact that Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners but can't be assed to get MLB.TV and MLB RBI Baseball on the Wii U is just fucking ridiculous. Those are done by MLB's in-house developer, who Nintendo, as an MLB owner, by all rights has far more pull with than Sony or Microsoft, so what the hell is the problem here?

NFS was an excellent port, EA totally left it to die though launching against Monster Hunter 3 and Lego City Undercover, and saying from the start they probably wouldn't bother with DLC.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty bad way of looking at the genesis situation, Sega had massive shortages of everything, including carts. EA offered them a deal.
When Sonic 1 sold 15million, yet the average non major publisher game was limited to 10k in first press... yea

EA had the clout even back then (just look at some of their period PC dealings) to just decide they were the defacto third party publisher. They could have easily undercut Sega and gone into business for themselves. Hell they were prepared to do so. Sega almost had no choice in the matter and did a good job getting what they could out of the deal. Kinda lucky Trip Hawkins had other things on his mind.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
Make another NBA Street with Mario in it and all will be forgiven.
nasty-mario-dunk-NBA-street-nintendo-1403567831g.gif

Oddduck

I've said this many times before, but the fact that Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners but can't be assed to get MLB.TV and MLB RBI Baseball on the Wii U is just fucking ridiculous. Those are done by MLB's in-house developer, who Nintendo, as an MLB owner, by all rights has far more pull with than Sony or Microsoft, so what the hell is the problem here?

I agree, it really doesn't make much sense.

At Safeco Field, there is even a section of the ballpark where kids can play Nintendo games. It's even mentioned on the Mariner's official website.

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't have their own MLB franchise like Ken Griffey anymore.

Diehard Nintendo fans really are Nintendo's worst enemy. I mean the whole fuck EA we don't need them mentality is why Nintendo is in the position they are.

Nintendo needs to play nicer with the 3rd parties and the 3rd parties playing nice with them will happen . It is all about MONEY and Third Parties want to make more of it. If giving some EA titles a little extra attention means getting serious support its worth it even if the title isn't something you diehard gives a shit about.

Wii U was a fucking disaster from the day they reset the Wii HD development and decided Wii in HD wasn't a gimmick enough and chased the tablet. Regardless how delusional diehards are Nintendo cannot survive multiple Wii Us and have a future. Wii U took a nice chunk out of that precious warchest and more Wii Us will empty it completely.

Nintendo isnt in this position because Wii U doesnt have FIFA and Madden. The people who care for these games already play them on different ecosystems.

Nintendo is in this position with Wii U because they cant afford to support two platforms and their 1st party output on Wii U has been lacking ambitions.

LeleSocho

Banned
throwing jabs at EA? i feel like you are joking here. Why will Nintendo do that and sour their relationship further, even if Nintendo is in the position to do so? It only makes Nintendo look petty and arrogant.

How is the strategy of funding good 3rd party suppose to work? Even the diehard Nintendo fans aint hyping or supporting many good 3rd party games, it make no sense that non-Nintendo fans will buy them too.

Virtual jabs, like making them notice how the Mass Effect/Mirror's Edge/whatever clone they have funded does well on their platform and essentially leaving free money on the table.

You need to cultivate the fanbase, it does not get there in a second... if you start to fund 1-2-3-4- good games people slowly start to come and games start to sell better, third party will start to notice and so on until you get everyone on board happy to be on your platform.

Neff

Action and Adventure!

It's all well and good to want EA's non-sports titles on Nintendo (I'd love Dead Space myself, but EA would have to actually make a new one first...), and I sympathise because sports do nothing for me either, but if there's a chance to cultivate a sports audience on Nintendo, ideally off the back of their local MP-friendly image, then both parties should take it above porting non-sports, because they stand to benefit from it enormously.

Isn't this part of the problem? That people need to go to different ecosystems to get these games?

It is, the thing is, these are already established ecosystems. People wants to play with their friends or online friends. With their controller.

Having these games on Nintendo consoles wont magically bring these people on it. Because the people looking forward these games didnt wair for Nintendo and wont wait for Nintendo to play these.

Nintendo's own interest is basically to have their own and different ecosystem with 1st strong party showing and key 3rd party partnerships.

Isn't this part of the problem? That people need to go to different ecosystems to get these games?
Kind of and the No. Im not bout to jump ship to play madden on NX same like I didnt on PS4 I just prefer the xbox ecosystem. I doubt that change regardless how powerful or what achievements im gonna unlock on another console.

I think Nintendo should have to prove it can even get the sports fans to buy the system before EA gives them the other titles. Nintendo sadly has a lot to prove with the NX if they want to succeed with both 3rd parties and consumers.

EA wouldn't want that. The only way Nintendo could get the sports fans without already having the EA titles would be to create their own sports games of a high enough quality to challenge EA in the market.

antonz

The idea isn't to try and steal people from PS4 or XBO. Those people will stay with their friends.

Its about creating a market for the future. Like I posted earlier even if Madden 2017 NX only sells 500K lifetime copies versus millions on the other consoles. That would still be a huge success and lay the ground work to expand on NX with later versions and whatever devices come after NX.

It's time for Nintendo to begin rebuilding the idea that they are a safe platform to get those kind of games instead of being known as the place that doesn't get them or gets watered down shit versions. Of course the requires commitments from Nintendo as well. Its not all on EA. Nintendo needs to get back into the industry and at least try to keep up within a reasonable margin. The structural changes at Nintendo along with the new President I hope is the first sign that they know this.

I have huge respect for Iwata but at times he was way too obsessed with Japan to the point even as Japan withers away he was still obsessed with design decisions centered around japan

The idea isn't to try and steal people from PS4 or XBO. Those people will stay with their friends.

Its about creating a market for the future. Like I posted earlier even if Madden 2017 NX only sells 500K lifetime copies versus millions on the other consoles. That would still be a huge success and lay the ground work to expand on NX with later versions and whatever devices come after NX.

It's time for Nintendo to begin rebuilding the idea that they are a safe platform to get those kind of games instead of being known as the place that doesn't get them or gets watered down shit versions.

Even before Wii U launched, sports games were rebranded from last year versions with old engines. Let's be serious here, what's the point in shoving money for these ports when they could use that to make games or fund games ?

You know what'll happen with Madden at 500k or FIFA at 500k (and these are good case scenario) ?
Legacy edition the following year.

VariantX

Even before Wii U launched, sports games were rebranded from last year versions with old engines. Let's be serious here, what's the point in shoving money for these ports when they could use that to make games or fund games ?

You know what'll happen with Madden at 500k or FIFA at 500k (and these are good case scenario) ?
Legacy edition the following year.

Because if they can use the same assets and development pipeline as they do for the other platforms, then a port would be cheaper and their money would go further. I'd also guess they would include the game in the same marketing push as well.

Because if they can use the same assets and development pipeline as they do for the other platforms, then a port would be cheaper and their money would go further. I'd also guess they would include the game in the same marketing push as well.

Wii U could use same assets as PS360 versions of FIFA/Madden.
Let's not forget the infamous, last minute, PS360 Mass Effect Trilogy released in the same time as the Mass Effect 3 Wii U port... For the same price.

I just dont see the point in courting publishers for ports that wont sell because the audience is already established elsewhere, which wont even receive good care... When they could diversify their library in a better way with that money.

Schnozberry

I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't do a Madden bundle in the US and a FIFA bundle for the rest of the globe in order to get EA on board. Having full featured versions of those titles at launch would definitely help the NX broaden it's lineup, and it likely wouldn't steal a sale away from Zelda or whatever regardless. People are generous around console launches and spring for several games.

Let's not forget the infamous, last minute, PS360 Mass Effect Trilogy released in the same time as the Mass Effect 3 Wii U port... For the same price.

I still can't believe they did this. It tells so much about their long term plan about expanding on nintendo Platforms.

GRW810

Wow, EA abandons one Nintendo console then demands the moon and more for the follow-up. Do they believe they have Nintendo over a barrel? I wonder if it suggests NX is going to target the more hardcore gamer; that would certainly require EA support.

VariantX

I just dont see the point in courting publishers for ports that wont sell because the audience is already established elsewhere, which wont even receive good care... When they could diversify their library in a better way with that money.

The very same wii u that devs strggled with to get games running well?

As its been said before its crucial to actually build an audience to be receptive to games other than just Nintendo. EA wouldn't even be at the table if it wasnt worth pursuing

The very same wii u that devs strggled with to get games running well?

As its been said before its crucial to actually build an audience to be receptive to games other than just Nintendo. EA wouldn't even be at the table if it wasnt worth pursuing

Depends on the game. PS3 had similar problems too. Heck, Mass Effect ran worse on PS3 than any other versions.

"Nintendo games" means nothing. Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Super Mario 3D World are all Nintendo games. What do they have in common ? Nothing.

It's nonsense to get the same thinking we had before Wii U aka "It needs COD, FIFA, Madden, GTA to sell". No, it doesnt. Nintendo could fit the bill to have all these games day and date on their next console, they'd sell a lot worse and it wouldnt sell the console. People nowadays choose an ecosystem.

And what Nintendo needs is a solid and unique ecosystem, with a steady release of great games, not like the joke that was Wii U's first party output for most part.
There's a reason why 3DS is nearly sitting close to 60M units sold despite all its shortcomings.

Tagg9

Wow, EA abandons one Nintendo console then demands the moon and more for the follow-up. Do they believe they have Nintendo over a barrel? I wonder if it suggests NX is going to target the more hardcore gamer; that would certainly require EA support.

I don't blame them. Why should they bother to invest if Nintendo isn't going to properly support third-party developers?

Once when they legally reverse engineered the Genesis cart and could have literally hijacked all third party publishing.

I know EA is ruthless but did this really happen as you describe it and are you sure this isn't a heavily embellished urban legend? How did EA "legally reverse engineer" Sega's own tech and then "legally" threaten them? That smacks of when Atari brazenly stole Nintendo's patents in order to crack the NES lock out code and then had the gall to (very unsuccessfully) sue Nintendo which blew up in their face since obviously it was attempted extortion. "Haha, OK EA, you figured out how our carts work in a non sketchy way, I guess we have to bow to your demands." Not saying I don't believe it necessarily, it just sounds crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom