• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already know that one big 3rd party dev is porting a huge game for NX at the moment. I was in the closed beta of this game and the partnership was kind of spilled out by a mod.

NDA, so no sugar, sorry. But just letting the Nintendo fans know that they're going to get some good 3rd party love on their new console. :)

Ummmm.......what? Random Megaton post out of nowhere?

budpikmin

Y'know it could be the case that EA will support the launch window but are not promising to support the platform long term unless Nintendo appeal to their audience. We'll possibly get some ports at launch but yearly instalments of Fifa and Madden are being held ransom

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I already know that one big 3rd party dev is porting a huge game for NX at the moment. I was in the closed beta of this game and the partnership was kind of spilled out by a mod.

NDA, so no sugar, sorry. But just letting the Nintendo fans know that they're going to get some good 3rd party love on their new console. :)

Wait, you were able to play an NX? I assume that's how a console-exclusive closed beta would work, but I must be wrong since this is a pre-launch thing. I guess maybe it was just on a PC? I suppose you can't answer.

I hope Detective GAF can help us out with these clues.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

What the

And yet, EA can't be a "key 3rd-party partnership" in your estimation, because.... why?

I never said they couldn't. But if the deal is about ports of FIFA/Madden... Yeah, its unnecessary.
I think it would work better for them to work with their usual partner like KT, Capcom, Level 5, Bamco, Ubisoft or SE.

Terrell

Honestly, why would Nintendo go after Sony and Microsoft's audience at this stage in the generation? That would be suicide.

If they're "Sony's and Microsoft's audience", it won't matter when they start going after "their" audience.

If Nintendo decides to do nothing and wait for NX2 which is launch-aligned with PS5 and the next Xbox:

"Honestly, why would Nintendo go after Sony and Microsoft's audience after completely ignoring that audience on their last console? That would be suicide."

You're waiting for a serendipitous moment of convenience that is never EVER guaranteed when starting from zero like Nintendo will inevitably have to. It'll always be painful.

I really don't understand this thinking that there has to be an immediate payoff when discussing trying to encourage more 3rd-party development.

I never said they couldn't. But if the deal is about ports of FIFA/Madden... Yeah, its unnecessary.
I think it would work better for them to work with their usual partner like KT, Capcom, Level 5, Bamco, Ubisoft or SE.

Microsoft and Sony both see EA Sports as a "key partnership", despite not having that content all to themselves. And those 3rd-parties you mention would probably bring ports, as well, if given an opportunity to, yet you don't seem to devalue them in the same way.

Just because software isn't unique to the platform doesn't make it worthless. This isn't the PS2 generation anymore, the nature of the industry has changed.

random25

Out of nowhere. lol.

So what's the NX?

Pokemaniac

Wait, you were able to play an NX? I assume that's how a console-exclusive closed beta would work, but I must be wrong since this is a pre-launch thing. I suppose you can't answer.

The quote doesn't really seem to imply they were playing on NX, just that one of the mods of the beta leaked that the NX port was happening.

Wait, you were able to play an NX? I assume that's how a console-exclusive closed beta would work, but I must be wrong since this is a pre-launch thing. I suppose you can't answer.

So someone in this thread has actually played an NX? Because thats a pretty big deal

I understand that he played a game beta and that a mod said it would be ported to nx. So he didn't really play on Nx.
That's the way I understand it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Virtual jabs, like making them notice how the Mass Effect/Mirror's Edge/whatever clone they have funded does well on their platform and essentially leaving free money on the table.

You need to cultivate the fanbase, it does not get there in a second... if you start to fund 1-2-3-4- good games people slowly start to come and games start to sell better, third party will start to notice and so on until you get everyone on board happy to be on your platform.

it still make no sense why Nintendo fans will start to buy these 3rd party games if Nintendo starts funding them. They'll just come out with a "reason" for not buying them at all. you have already said that Nintendo fans are going to boycott all EA sport games regardless of quality. What if Nintendo fund 5 EA sports games, all top notch quality yet the fans refuses to buy them? You should know this.

Nightbird

Wait, you were able to play an NX? I assume that's how a console-exclusive closed beta would work, but I must be wrong since this is a pre-launch thing. I guess maybe it was just on a PC? I suppose you can't answer.

No, he was only in the Beta of the game, and one of the mods accidentally said that said game is coming to the NX too

No no. I was on another platform, but the beta test mod spilled the beans.

EDIT: And if a mod wants to confirm my story, I'm out for 5-6 hours. Don't ban me, please. :)

If they're "Sony's and Microsoft's audience", it won't matter when they start going after "their" audience.

If Nintendo decides to do nothing and wait for NX2 which is launch-aligned with PS5 and the next Xbox:

"Honestly, why would Nintendo go after Sony and Microsoft's audience after completely ignoring that audience on their last console? That would be suicide."

You're waiting for a serendipitous moment of convenience that is never EVER guaranteed when starting from zero like Nintendo will inevitably have to. It'll always be painful.

I really don't understand this thinking that there has to be an immediate payoff when discussing trying to encourage more 3rd-party development.

Microsoft and Sony both see EA Sports as a "key partnership", despite not having that content all to themselves. And those 3rd-parties you mention would probably bring ports, as well, if given an opportunity to, yet you don't seem to devalue them in the same way.

Just because software isn't unique to the platform doesn't make it worthless. This isn't the PS2 generation anymore, the nature of the industry has changed.

Its not only about being unique, its about cathering to an audience. EA are a key partner to MS and Sony because their games cather to their established audience.

Sony focused on 3D gaming as their differentiator, PSX launched before N64, and they leaned towards an older demographic, so I really don't see your comparison.

Sony didn't develop those titles, they gave Capcom, and Konami a medium and hardware, to publish what they wanted to create. Nintendo loss that gen because of a medium, they had the mindshare before it became apparent to a majority of new and old gamers that the Sony console was getting more support.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
No no. I was on another platform, but the beta test mod spilled the beans.

Ah, I see. Interesting. Well, cool! Now my big concern is that you were in a beta for a game (which means it's likely releasing in the coming months), and NX is probably not going to release until the end of this year at the earliest. Unless the NX version has something compelling, it doesn't seem like people would have much incentive to rebuy the game or wait (if the NX version is announced prior to the game's launch).

But perhaps closed betas can be happening for games that are still 10 months away. I know very little about how certain aspects of this industry work. :p

Its not only about being unique, its about cathering to an audience. EA are a key partner to MS and Sony because their games cather to their established audience.

EA played a huge role in establishing this audience on sony and microsoft, which is what nintendo needs to do.

-shadow-

If this is true I'm just hoping for Deus Ex. I need that game on the next Nintendo system. My PC can't handle it! ;_;

it still make no sense why Nintendo fans will start to buy these 3rd party games if Nintendo starts funding them. They'll just come out with a "reason" for not buying them at all. you have already said that Nintendo fans are going to boycott all EA sport games regardless of quality. What if Nintendo fund 5 EA sports games, all top notch quality yet the fans refuses to buy them? You should know this.

A Metroid Prime fan may not be primarily a Nintendo fan. Knowing that said gamer can get his or hers Samus fix as well as his or hers Madden fix on one console, is a win for Nintendo and us collectively.

thefro

No, he was only in the Beta of the game, and one of the mods accidentally said that said game is coming to the NX too

It's weird how there's been a fair amount of smoke recently about Western third party support after everything was super-quiet. One would think one of the established big sites is going to have enough information to run some stories soon.

I think we can also rule out the theory that the home console is going to be massively under-powered. We're at least looking at something in the ~XB1 range.

Ah, I see. Interesting. Well, cool! Now my big concern is that you were in a beta for a game (which means it's likely releasing in the coming months), and NX is probably not going to release until the end of this year at the earliest. Unless the NX version has something compelling, it doesn't seem like people would have much incentive to rebuy the game or wait (if the NX version is announced prior to the game's launch).

But perhaps closed betas can be happening for games that are still 10 months away. I know very little about how certain aspects of this industry work. :p

If true, NX is probably very easy to port games to, and what we got at least for North America is a console. Also that EA story points to it being a console.

Zoon

So, assuming that we learned about this closed beta leak-thing just now, the beta would have to be around february.The big closed betas I could find for february are: Division and Overwatch.So I'll go with overwatch since it fits more for a Nintendo console and wouldn't get impacted that much by a late release.

Jackano

:) Come on Detective Gaf!!!

Is Rainbow Six Seige considered big or something?
That's the only thing I'll search about our fellow gaffer, I don't have time at work right now, and after spending one hour seeking Trevelyan999's Nintendo source yesterday I don't want to spend more time stalking today.

If true, NX is probably very easy to port games to, and what we got at least for North America is a console. Also that EA story points to it being a console.

We'll still get both the console and the handheld in the US, we just might not get the handheld till next year.

If it is actually super easy to port to then we could see some continued 3rd party support, even if the games don't sell particularly well on NX.

Into

Mass Effect 3: Ultimate NX Edition

Includes Shepard Amiibo, and Kirby is a extra character in ME3. Take it or leave it!

ekim

Why would the mod (I guess like a mod in an MMO) be in the know about a possible port? Sounds like a guess or something.

I agree that Nintendo should be trying to get as much support as they can; hell, every platform manufacturer should be doing this, but what I don't agree on is bending over backwards for developers who have a monopoly on the market in certain genres and are deemed as "must haves" in order for the console to be a success. No one should have that much power.
Nintendo's relationship with EA has been shit at the best of times with the Gamecube and Wii seeing some support. If EA don't want to join the party then fuck em; what Nintendo will need to do is either fill in the gaps themselves or find other more capable devs, and there are plenty out there.

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo is even interested in catering to the demographic in question in the article.

They should be, but something tells me they won't.

Hopefully they've had serious meetings with every publisher about the NX, from Deep Silver to Bethesda to Activision. They should have done this all years ago, and got contracts that the publishers would release their games on Nintendo platforms.

antonz

So, assuming that we learned about this closed beta leak-thing just now, the beta would have to be around february.The big closed betas I could find for february are: Division and Overwatch.So I'll go with overwatch since it fits more for a Nintendo console and wouldn't get impacted that much by a late release.

Division is far more likely as its not a released and done title but one Ubisoft plans to keep around for sometime. NX could get a Division+DLC kind of release.

Or of course it could be something like For Honor which I know from people has been in closed testing in recent times

Rodin

I don't believe the bundle stuff, unless the exclusive deal with Microsoft will expire shortly and they'll have bundles with every single console on the market. Anyway, EA shouldn't limit their support to sport games but work with Nintendo to port at least Mass Effect (Andromeda, not 3 NX Edition :p) and some Star Wars games.

Yeah hopefully it's Overwatch, assuming this is true.

Boy what??

Its either the division or some MOBA. Bet money..

Or Homefront

mclem

I wonder if this will be a divisive choice.

Good, they better get some of them sports games. They´re essential for their console to not be another WiiU.

Of course it´s not magically make it sell 80+ million units. But they need to start somewhere. It´s not about making the NX THE destination for sports games. It´s about having more and more diverse games on their system. More games period.

Not having Fifa IS a deal breaker for a lot of europeans. Most people only own one console per gen, so someone that might look for a nintendo console and sees then that it has fuck all 3rd party support, they´re not going to buy it. No matter how awesome it´s 1st party is.

"Everyone who wants 3rd party games, already has a PS4 or XboxOne" That´s just wrong. Like, just look at the numbers sold. Plenty enough customers to sell to left.

The whole ecosystem argument means very little honestly. People jumped from the 360 straight to the PS4 without even blinking. And i don´t buy the notion, that just because it´s mid-gen, Nintendo shouldn´t even try, not even try to get support, is just silly. Seriously, it´s not even about making the NX a major seller, it´s about starting to build an audience again, for the NX and then the future generations.

Just focusing on 1. party games is what the WiiU was, and will be the same thing what will happen to the NX, even if they can get more games by having their games work on both handheld and console. Minor improvement, but still a dead system. Their handheld would be fine, but you can bet your ass, that you´ll get wayyyyy less home console level games, if it fails like the WiiU did.

So even if you don´t care about sports games personally (i don´t), you better hope they can get EA to put Fifa, Madder, NHL etc. on there, cause if not, get ready for a repeat of the last 4 years.

sd28821

ugh EA .... that being said this sounds like a fair deal and is similar to the stuff there relations department offers and a bit like there relationship with level 5.

Litri

Wasn't the excuse of EA abandoning that "unprecedent partnership" not having powerful enough hardware on the Wii U?? That should not be a problem now...

luffeN

Why would the mod (I guess like a mod in an MMO) be in the know about a possible port? Sounds like a guess or something.

It was probably a huge outsourcing company with a mod in a Skype group talking to their testers. With this assumption it is probably a Ubisoft game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom