• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It doesn't bother me at all.

Here's my issue, I'd rather EA not try to market their sports games on a system whose fanbase continuously shuns.

Try and put out the other games on it and not a late port of a 3rd game in the series when a collection comes out mere months later for other systems. Then have the nerve to say the fans of said systems don't buy your software.

Say I'm whining, that's really not what I'm doing. I'm simply stating that a company shouldn't do what they've always done and expect different results.

If the NX isn't as powerful as PS4/XBO EA shouldn't bother.

If they are only in with their sports games at first I'd also rather they not bother. Because we know how that'll go in the grand scheme of things.

I am still puzzled why wont you sell your Wii U and buy a PS4/Xbox for those games now, then save up and buy the NX like 4 or 5 years later for those Nintendo games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
None of the demands here strike me as ridiculous.

1.) While the sports audience is obviously attractive to EA, it's also very attractive to other major publishers. You will notice that all the big games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and Destiny spend significant amounts of money advertising during sports events. While not everyone watching buys a ton of games, this is an audience heavily made up of 18-35 year old males who buy at least several hit video games each year. Trying to get this audience is basically a show at trying to appeal to the hitbuyer audience major Western publishers want to court so that their titles sell 5-10+ million copies instead of 2 million copies.

2.) Sports gamers are huge microtransaction spenders. You can see this in the Ultimate Team modes for EA Sports titles. You also see this with the amount of mobile games that chase the audience. This audience is inherently very attractive to publishers as they're thus notably high margin customers, and they're the type of people publishers would feel good about getting even if they're not reaching a huge number of them on a given platform due to the amount of return they're getting per user.

3.) Third party publishers really like co-marketing deals and bundles. It's hard to think of a third party game that doesn't at least have some kind of co-marketing deal. Sure, Nintendo probably isn't going to get the most glamorous games for co-marketing deals and bundles. Being a platform with bundles for Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3 probably doesn't sound very impressive, but compared to where they're standing, even having those games on their platform sounds astonishing. If going in on bundles and co-marketing deals gets them that, and they seriously want third party support, they should definitely be doing things like that.

Now, that said, even with third party support, actually getting a Western third party game buying audience is very difficult, and I doubt Nintendo is really interested in spending all this money on something they feel is quite uncertain. But if they're serious about this, I think they should be following through on EA's demands, as well as any demands that the other major third party Western publishers have as well.

Vlaphor

Here's the thing. If theoretically, Frostbite and future iterations of Frostbite are the core of EA's business plans moving forward in terms of product releases and the NX can run the engine at least as well as its contemporaries, and Nintendo offers robust developer tools and support then yes, I think we would see EA games on the system. The problem with the Wii U is that it was none of these things.

I think the biggest problem right now isn't the tools, but Nintendo's attitude towards third-party devs over the past four console generations and the public's perception of what a Nintendo console is to be used for (playing Nintendo games and that's pretty much it). If Nintendo can work past those, then they might have something. Still, we know almost nothing about the NX, so lets wait till they give us more info before we start making guesses.

Wasn't it that he learned of the existence of the Shovel Knight Amiibo and took that to mean he was getting in Smash?

No. He had a source that "confirmed" it to him outside of the amiibo.

I thought he and Emily Rogers were pretty reliable?

Emily leaked the Paper Mario U rumor last month and Liam backed her up with a couple others.

I hope that Paper Mario Wii U is true.

Him piggybacking on a reliable person doesn't make him reliable.

J@hranimo

Banned
I've read through all six pages of this thread. Really interesting stuff in the OP.

If Nintendo is really serious about making a bigger dent releasing the NX platform in the middle of a generation well in its stride, then they'll have to make big investments like this for Third Parties. No easier way to say it tbh. While I don't care for their main sports games, I'm sure there are plenty others who would be into playing good ports of sports games on a Nintendo console while also having FREE (that's a big one to me ;) ) online multiplayer. Even through all the money spent, it would benefit consumers the most at the end of it.

Also congrats Trevelyann for the confirmation from Bish himself! Looking forward to what the NX launch lineup will be for this year.

Wait a minute, there's a new sports fan born every day. Nintendo can build a fanbase around new fans of football, soccer, and basketball. Mario Kart and Madden.

Doesn't Nintendo make sports games though? I mean Madden, NHL, UFC are on like everything though. It would make sense for sports games to be on NX.

LeleSocho

Banned
Wait let me understand... EA is trying to bully/blackmail Nintendo into spending more money for advertising to appeal more to the EA audience? lolwut?
It is Nintendo that has to force EA to come back not the other way around.

If Nintendo has to spend more money is to make their audience grow not the one of others. The moment EA gets all pissy again and ditches N again for whatever reason they would have had spent their money for absolutely nothing.

Banned
Doesn't EA kind of have to put the sports games on Nintendo platforms first, before Nintendo can bundle them?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As a Wii U owner who bought FIFA 12.5 at launch I think EA has some good arguments here. Even as if that port didn't include all the latest features it was a very decent port which also used the Gamepad touch screen in a good way. I was mad at EA when they pulled out so soon, but looking back at how bad their games sold even with the long ass drought from 2013 I think they are right in asking Nintendo for building up the audience.

On the other hand Nintendo fails in communicating and promoting their own games a lot of times (and it seems to be getting even worse in the past months), so I don't think there is something intentional there.

But EA has a good point (and I think it applies to other western publishers too), bundles and co-marketing is the least Nintendo should do. That's why I'm skeptical about western 3rd parties on NX.

1. Those are terrible sales numbers given the 100 million base. If I counted right the best selling of those, RE4 was number 30 most sold list. So those type of games just ate t big with Nintendo's base.

2. Most of the few million that bought those on Wii probably aren't current Nintendo system owners, given the lack of those type of games on Wii U or 3DS.

So if I was a third party publisher I wouldn't give the NX a second thought for those type of games unless it both sells super well and shows there's a market for those types of games (by Nintendo getting some exclusives that do well by funding development or doing them in house).

I love Nintendo. Have a Wii U, 3DS and 23 Amiibo, yet I don't care about those types of games coming to Nintendo consoles. I'm going to play them on PS4 or X1 where they look better, I prefer the controllers and where my friends are playing online (for games that matter). I buy Nintendo consoles for their games, and the odd third party game in that style that's not in the other platforms.

A lot of Nintendo's base is that way, or die hards that only like Nintendo's style of games and don't like shooters, GTA/AC types of games, sports sims etc. Nintendo has a tough road to hoe to change that vs. just finding ways to profit off their base and as a secondary platform for core gamers. Only time will tell of course.

1. Ok. If we follow this logic then I guess the million sellers on PS2 and DS were also "terrible", right? You're trying to use the attach ratio as an excuse to overlook there was an audience and your logic is flawed. If you go by the attach ratio argument, then PS2 sales were terrbile, because the attach ratio is low and the top selling title is only 27.5 million on a 155 million system vs. Wii's 82.69 million best seller on a 100+ million machine. You're making a hell of a strawmen here.

2. There's no such thing as grudge, "people hate X brand" or they'll never return. They'll return, if they get a good system with the games they want.

Yeah, I'm aware NoA managed to fuck with western developers and market during Iwata's tenure and burned bridges but it's time to fix things up. They did in Japan, somehow, they can do it in the west as well. They need to restore NoA's executive autonomy and allow third-party relationship department to act freely without being subdued by NCL's authority. This will help to restore the N64's situation when Nintendo had strong ties with western devs, exclusive publishing deals and second-parties targeting this audience.

Kimishima is an ex-NOA president and he's probably has been nominated to succeed Iwata thanks to this internation experience and his knowledge of western market and he's certainly aware how big is the deal.

I do believe EA has had Dev Kits since October or early November 2015, I was told by the same individual that shared the same information as Mochi from the WSJ about the NX Dev Kits running an impressive Tech Demo. He said he knew EA already had Dev Kits, I was skeptical and didn't worry about it, but it turns out that might have been true after all.

Im sorry (not really) but i see this as a nintendo problem. At least a 60/40 split with nintendo being responsible for the bigger chunk.

How? Some data?

All we know is that EA obviously abandoned WiiU long before launch. So this has nothing to do with sales. There were some rumours that Nintendo refused some of EAs rules for the collaboration.

diaspora

I do believe EA has had Dev Kits since October or early November 2015, I was told by the same individual that shared the same information as Mochi from the WSJ about the NX Dev Kits running an impressive Tech Demo. He said he knew EA already had Dev Kits, I was skeptical and didn't worry about it, but it turns out that might have been true after all.

You say EA, can you say DICE specifically does? Know anything about Frostbite's current status in relation to the devkit?

Wait let me understand... EA is trying to bully/blackmail Nintendo into spending more money for advertising to appeal more to the EA audience? lolwut?

If Nintendo has to spend more money is to make their audience grow not the one of others. The moment EA gets all pissy again and ditches N again for whatever reason they would have had spent their money for absolutely nothing.
EA is happy without Nintendo, or at least they feel like they're better off not supporting them so Nintendo would have to prove themselves.
They have quite a bit of influence which likely made a lot of the other publishers more skeptical of continuing to support Wii U.
Getting EA support would likely be expensive and require quite a bit of work but it has a lot of benefits in the long run.

jblank83

How? Some data?

All we know is that EA obviously abandoned WiiU long before launch. So this has nothing to do with sales. There were some rumours that Nintendo refused some of EAs rules for the collaboration.

The rumor was that EA wanted Nintendo to run their online infrastructure through EA. The rumor continues that Nintendo quite obviously rejected that idea.

EA has had heavy presence on most major Nintendo platforms, excepting the Wii U, since the SNES. Even the Wii received a large number of titles. It's completely unsurprising (except to the most blind or fanboyish) that EA, one of the most agnostic 3rd party publishers, would show interest in Nintendo's next major platform.

jmizzal

Good Nintendo needs to get on the ball with sports, its huge in the west, Madden in NA and Fifa in Europe

They cant ignore those games being top sellers and not on their system

Doesn't EA kind of have to put the sports games on Nintendo platforms first, before Nintendo can bundle them?

EA wants to be assured or some contract written up, saying Nintendo agree to bundling sports games with NX, before Madden will be released. If Nintendo wants to be number one, they have to build the audience. Support history doesn't matter, as a company being second fittle or hoping to be that console next to the primary one isn't sound business strategy. You'll eventually get pushed out the market, if all your striving for is what looks like third place.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
According to Nintendo Life, Electronic Arts is telling Nintendo that they need to do a better job at cultivating a sports audience on Nintendo platforms, if they want EA to aggressively support the NX. They're asking Nintendo to do more co-marketing partnerships with EA, they want NX EA Sports console bundles, and they want Nintendo to do a better job marketing NX to fans of sports games during major televised sporting events. Sony and Microsoft have spent tons of money advertising the PS4 and XB1 to sports fans.

Source: Nintendo Life

Another point of contention involves hardware bundles. Traditionally, Nintendo doesn't bundle EA games with its consoles - unlike Microsoft and Sony. According to sources within EA, this is actually seen as something of an insult, and the company will be asking Nintendo to consider shipping NX consoles with leading EA Sports titles, such as FIFA and Madden. While this might smack of arrogance, it's a tactic which has worked well on rival hardware, so there's definitely logic to EA's reasoning.

Huh, never knew this was a thing. When you learn about the lil details about Nintendo and 3rd parties...alot of stuff makes sense why there is really no relationship.

Banned
The unprecedented jokes were funny back in 2013 when all those EA games flopped and then support was pulled. Can we stop with it now? Both company leaders who orchestrated those deals are gone. Riccitielo is gone, and Iwata passed. Andrew Wilson seems to be more in tune with the market and kimishima knows the importance of third parties. Nintendo can't surivive without them anymore, the NX is likely Nintendo's last crack at dedicated hardware so everything needs to be right.

I don't like the sound of this EA is making all of the demands here

NX could be the EA sports machine but that is really not a good reason for me to own a Nintendo console I only buy Need for Speed (the good ones)

oh well with Iwata gone they might as well give EA what they ask for

casiopao

Well, maybe Nintendo should try making some sport title which is not Mario i guess? While Mario sport series is tons of fun, some of more "hardcore" would not dare to come close to those titles as they will feel them being childish.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

so let me understand. You are suggesting Nintendo to expand their audience alone by themselves again and not to court 3rd party?

RedSwirl

We still don't know shit about what the NX is hardware-wise, but in any case, there's a question neither side -- Nintendo or third parties, has answered yet: why will customers want to buy EA Sports games on Nintendo hardware instead of PlayStation and Xbox?

I still find it improbable the NX console will go directly head-to-head with PlayStation and Xbox (I could be wrong) in terms of hardware and functionality. If it doesn't I have a feeling Nintendo will once again leave it up to those third parties to figure out for themselves how they'll take advantage of however the NX is different. EA kinda had some good attempts on the Wii with that fitness game but I actually think the touch screens and Wii Remote were missed opportunities for team sports games. If what's in the OP is even remotely true, EA is once again asking Nintendo to play a game it hasn't played in a long time, if ever. I don't even think Nintendo can or will spend the same kind of money on advertising Sony and Microsoft are.

I don't know man. Maybe after seeing the NX EA wants Nintendo to build it up into some kind of general family entertainment box so it can incorporate sports into that. What if there was some sports stat-tracking app on the NX that could get the whole family involved while watching a game or playing fantasy football, and then that would link with a mobile app since Nintendo is committed to dealing in mobile software now?

Before third parties really get into the equation Nintendo needs to figure out where its appeal even fits in the market today, because the Wii U doesn't really fit anywhere except as a box that plays Nintendo games. We still have no idea how the NX plans to solve that problem and redefine the idea of Nintendo consoles. If Nintendo can't do that, then third party publishers can't figure out where they fit either.

jroc74

None of the demands here strike me as ridiculous.

1.) While the sports audience is obviously attractive to EA, it's also very attractive to other major publishers. You will notice that all the big games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and Destiny spend significant amounts of money advertising during sports events. While not everyone watching buys a ton of games, this is an audience heavily made up of 18-35 year old males who buy at least several hit video games each year. Trying to get this audience is basically a show at trying to appeal to the hitbuyer audience major Western publishers want to court so that their titles sell 5-10+ million copies instead of 2 million copies.

2.) Sports gamers are huge microtransaction spenders. You can see this in the Ultimate Team modes for EA Sports titles. You also see this with the amount of mobile games that chase the audience. This audience is inherently very attractive to publishers as they're thus notably high margin customers, and they're the type of people publishers would feel good about getting even if they're not reaching a huge number of them on a given platform due to the amount of return they're getting per user.

3.) Third party publishers really like co-marketing deals and bundles. It's hard to think of a third party game that doesn't at least have some kind of co-marketing deal. Sure, Nintendo probably isn't going to get the most glamorous games for co-marketing deals and bundles. Being a platform with bundles for Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3 probably doesn't sound very impressive, but compared to where they're standing, even having those games on their platform sounds astonishing. If going in on bundles and co-marketing deals gets them that, and they seriously want third party support, they should definitely be doing things like that.

Now, that said, even with third party support, actually getting a Western third party game buying audience is very difficult, and I doubt Nintendo is really interested in spending all this money on something they feel is quite uncertain. But if they're serious about this, I think they should be following through on EA's demands, as well as any demands that the other major third party Western publishers have as well.

All this.

so let me understand. You are suggesting Nintendo to expand their audience alone by themselves again and not to court 3rd party?

I know, seriously?

LeleSocho

Banned
EA is happy without Nintendo, or at least they feel like they're better off not supporting them so Nintendo would have to prove themselves.
They have quite a bit of influence which likely made a lot of the other publishers more skeptical of continuing to support Wii U.
Getting EA support would likely be expensive and require quite a bit of work but it has a lot of benefits in the long run.

To tell the truth Nintendo should be able to be happy without EA too, or to put it better... they never should be in a situation where they actively need for a third party publisher to have things go well.
They are the hardware manufacturer, they should be able to do the good and bad weather not the other way around.
Bending to third party conditions to go on is a very very bad practice in my humble opinion, it would show the industry that Nintendo couldn't get back on their feet on its own.
But of course i'm just a dude posting in a forum so who knows.

To tell the truth Nintendo should be able to be happy without EA too, or to put it better... they never should be in a situation where they actively need for a third party publisher to have things go well.
They are the hardware manufacturer, they should be able to do the good and bad weather not the other way around.
Bending to third party conditions to go on is a very very bad practice in my humble opinion, it would show the industry that Nintendo couldn't get back on their feet on its own.
They should take strides to become self sufficient and if the speculation pans out they could very well achieve that, but they'll always benefit from having more 3rd parties on board with quality titles to bring a wider audience who in turn could try their software.

jroc74

We still don't know shit about what the NX is hardware-wise, but in any case, there's a question neither side -- Nintendo or third parties, has answered yet: why will customers want to buy EA Sports games on Nintendo hardware instead of PlayStation and Xbox?

I still find it improbable the NX console will go directly head-to-head with PlayStation and Xbox (I could be wrong) in terms of hardware and functionality. If it doesn't I have a feeling Nintendo will once again leave it up to those third parties to figure out for themselves how they'll take advantage of however the NX is different. EA kinda had some good attempts on the Wii with that fitness game but I actually think the touch screens and Wii Remote were missed opportunities for team sports games. If what's in the OP is even remotely true, EA is once again asking Nintendo to play a game it hasn't played in a long time, if ever. I don't even think Nintendo can or will spend the same kind of money on advertising Sony and Microsoft are.

I don't know man. Maybe after seeing the NX EA wants Nintendo to build it up into some kind of general family entertainment box so it can incorporate sports into that. What if there was some sports stat-tracking app on the NX that could get the whole family involved while watching a game or playing fantasy football, and then that would link with a mobile app since Nintendo is committed to dealing in mobile software now?

Before third parties really get into the equation Nintendo needs to figure out where its appeal even fits in the market today, because the Wii U doesn't really fit anywhere except as a box that plays Nintendo games. We still have no idea how the NX plans to solve that problem and redefine the idea of Nintendo consoles. If Nintendo can't do that, then third party publishers can't figure out where they fit either.

Alot of posts in this thread makes sense.

A rock Nintendo a hardplace.

jmizzal

Funny though...I can see Nintendo being up for EA access, if it leads to more ports to their system.

That would be great

I'm pretty sure Madden and Fifa will be there at launch

Mass Effect maybe but that would be up to Bioware

I could see Star Wars Battlefront with all DLC at launch but Battlefront 5 coming as a late port from DICE

Terrell

EA really seems to come off as a bit lazy and petulant in this thing. Basically all of EA's failures on the Wii U are their own fault for not putting in the effort. Releasing a product on one system that's blatantly inferior to the versions available on other systems has nothing to do with the platform holder. All the advertising talk really sounds like EA asking Nintendo to do their job for them.

Yeah, that sounds like EA, alright. But when Nintendo's competitors are willing to put up with it to play ball... well, it does set an expectation that it's a requirement to obtain the correct audience.

Diehard Nintendo fans really are Nintendo's worst enemy. I mean the whole fuck EA we don't need them mentality is why Nintendo is in the position they are.

Nintendo needs to play nicer with the 3rd parties and the 3rd parties playing nice with them will happen . It is all about MONEY and Third Parties want to make more of it. If giving some EA titles a little extra attention means getting serious support its worth it even if the title isn't something you diehard gives a shit about.

Wii U was a fucking disaster from the day they reset the Wii HD development and decided Wii in HD wasn't a gimmick enough and chased the tablet. Regardless how delusional diehards are Nintendo cannot survive multiple Wii Us and have a future. Wii U took a nice chunk out of that precious warchest and more Wii Us will empty it completely.

I'm a "diehard Nintendo fan". You can ask pretty much anyone who likes to identify and attempt to endlessly shame Nintendo fans on the regular and they'll confirm that it's true.

And "diehard" is an apt term, because it's legit killing me that I will admit to not buying an NX if it doesn't meet my incredibly reasonable expectations, which Nintendo has not managed to achieve that in about 10-12 years. I was able to be content with Wii and Wii U and pumped myself up about what they had to offer, but I wasn't THRILLED about them, either. I've personally reached my breaking point on this. But that's a huge aside...

I'll tell EA they can go fuck themselves all day and all night, whenever I like and will never personally give them a single dime of my money, but (a) that's not only due to their pattern of behaviour on Nintendo consoles alone, and (b) I will never say that Nintendo doesn't need them (using the "we" in that sentence like gamers are somehow symbiotically a part of Nintendo is pretty laughable, I agree).

Saying one thing does not automatically mean the other is also stated. Unless you're of the misconception that individual Nintendo fans aren't allowed to have an individual thought outside of the hive-mind.

These all seem like reasonable demands on EA's part and I hope Tatsumi Kimishima is up to the challenge.

Given that everyone else is playing along on this, I agree, so long as EA is willing to give something of substance in exchange. Trying to pull that "last year's Madden with a roster update" thing again? I'm sorry, but EA really shouldn't be asking Nintendo to polish a turd. If it wants this level of commitment, it should be repaid in kind.

Unfortunately, I don't really see any solution to Nintendo having healthy third party sports games sales on its home console no matter what console bundle incentives, greater marketing collaboration efforts Nintendo tries to have with EA. It doesn't have the target audience that Sony and Microsoft's respective home consoles do, so the software sales will never be considered important to EA. It won't matter how powerful NX will be. Why would a lot of people chose to buy it on NX when they already own a PS4 ? Potential free online multiplayer and whatever new gimmicks Nintendo has to offer is not going to convince many sports gamers and their friends to want to play them on NX.

I wasn't aware that PS4 had sold to every person on the planet who would want one. Guess there's no point in trying to sell them anymore, huh?

And I really think we've had enough with the "can't win, don't bother trying" talk with regards to Nintendo. You want things to be different? Then they have to start TRYING, even if it doesn't mean an out-of-the-gate success story.

Even EA realizes this. And when EA realizes something before gamers do? Those gamers are in a really unenviable position of being more behind the curve than one of the most loathed, backwards and change-resistant publishers in the industry. Which is... WOW.

Yyyyep.

LeleSocho

Banned
Not exactly, one thing is to court third party by doing what, for example, Sony and Microsoft are doing by offering to fund games by themselves and essentially ironing the bonds between them while another is having an outsider telling you how to spend your money if you want their games on your platform. One is a position of dominance while the other is total desperation.
My general idea would be to fund good third party games (so to make your own audience grow) while throwing jabs at whoever is acting like a princess (in this case EA) and showing them how these other games (maybe similar to the ones these produces) do well on your platforms.
Yes it would be costly but more effective.

They should take strides to become self sufficient and if the speculation pans out they could very well achieve that, but they'll always benefit from having more 3rd parties on board with quality titles to bring a wider audience who in turn could try their software.
Dunno i see this having advantages only in the short term sincerely.

SalvaPot

Huh, never knew this was a thing. When you learn about the lil details about Nintendo and 3rd parties...alot of stuff makes sense why there is really no relationship.

Its not unprecedented by Nintendo, they did offer a Bundle with Zombi U, and that was a Ubisoft game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EA has been playing hardball with console manufacturers for 25ish years now, they recognize their position in the world and do everything it takes to improve it.

History has been good to those who caved to it (Sega with Genesis, MS with the original XBOX) and fairly poor to those who ignore it (Sega with Dreamcast, Nintendo with Wii U) Now I'm not saying that's the only reason those consoles had a rough time, hell it's not even the primary reason, but it certainly didn't help.

Nintendo did try to get pretty close to EA Sports during the middle years of the GCN to mixed results.

Vibranium

Banned
I do think Nintendo is possible of growing a sports audience, maybe not on the level of the PS4 or Xbone, but something decent enough for EA to be pleased with.

They should also do a budget FIFA/NBA Street game as a timed NX exclusive or something.

RedSwirl

Like I've said in other threads, assuming Nintendo puts out another "underpowered" console, what I think it should do is do everything it can to listen to and attract people like indie developers and mobile developers. I feel like Nintendo could agree more with those kinds of developers since they more often come up with unique ideas and make the kinds of games Nintendo seems to be down with.

I feel like if that happened, EA could adapt to that the same way it has adapted to the mobile space.

...look man I just want a handheld and console device with intercompatibility so I can play A Link to the Past and Super Metroid on both through Virtual Console without having to buy them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom