• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Network ID - Friend codes no more [Maybe? Maybe not? Not clarified, yay]

oJyrB.jpg

Well I think it there was numbers like classic friend codes, it would be displayed here.

weeman_com

Neo Member
In the photo immediately above your post, it shows a user profile's ID as a string of alpha(numerical?) characters. In this case, user "Will"'s (or "Uiru") is "willwill."

You are assuming that this is the method of connection. What I am saying is you use the numerical string to add a friend and their information is then seen with a name et al as an overlay to the numerical data. The code is no longer viewed.

Metal B

Did Iwata clarify exactly how to add new people? Can it be done with a user name? Because if it's still a fucking number I swear to god this company...
What is the differnce? Nintendo properly sees the friend-codes like a telephone or Mobil number. Yes a username is easier to remember, but lets see if Nintendo gives us multiple ways to find each other for example searching for an alias, while the friend-code would be the direct way to add somebody.

oxkYl.png

It can't be any clearer than this. That's the username and ID: kenichi. See, now we can give it a rest. No need for <<KillerWeaponDicks>>1998///

You are assuming that this is the method of connection. What I am saying is you use the numerical string to add a friend and their information is then seen with a name et al as an overlay to the numerical data. The code is no longer viewed.

No, if it was something like that, the id would be showing something in Japanese. The fact that willwill shows in English and Will(the Mii Name) shows in Japanese would suggest the NNID is a username.

D_prOdigy

I would very like to know if your visible ID has to be unique.

I don't want to have to choose a stupid display name like with some other online networks.

18-Volt

So, can we check our friends' played games list? I'd love to stalk people about what they've bought and played, just like in PSN/XBL/Steam.

Hobby

Opening the game icon on the WaraWara Plaza brings up these options:

New Super Mario Bros. U
- Friends (presumably) -
- Nintendo eShop button
- View Miiverse
- Close

Clicking on a Mii in WaraWara Plaza brings up these options:

Aoi (Mii name)
Her comment on Miiverse: "Regarding the fact that no matter what I do, I can't find any Star Coins"
- Save this Mii (guessing in your Mii studio).

New Super Mario Bros. U
- Open eShop page
- View this comment
- Go to profile
- Close

weeman_com

Neo Member
No, if it was something like that, the id would be showing something in Japanese. The fact that willwill shows in English and Will(the Mii Name) shows in Japanese would suggest the NNID is a username.

Im not getting into a piss fight over this, I am just stating that is 1 piece of information that I have heard. Until it is hard confirmed we cannot discount its validity. Looking at that image with your statement is an assumption because you do not have the hardware in hand.

Ydahs

That image KillerTravis posted is further proof that the ID is just a standard username. Now I can rest easy.

If the ID is unique I see absolutely no reason for friend codes to exist at all.

Maybe for Wii legacy support? How are Wii online titles going to work on the WiiU? Never thought about that...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe they really just call them friend codes even though it doesn't function as one. The subtitles pretty much made things confusing vs. none.

I am assuming this is the method of connection because it says "ID" not "Username" or whatever. (Why would they call your ID the "NN ID" then call something else a user's "ID?" It's not impossible but still silly.)

Another reason I think it's how it works is this is EXACTLY how Flipnote Hatena works, and Miiverse was developed in part BY Hatena. In Flipnote Hatena, you have your main ID which is your actual core ID that identifies you, then your display name, which you can change at your leisure. My Flipnote Hatena page, for example: http://flipnote.hatena.com/5776F1F0CC7D700D@DSi/
Notice "Reed id:LupintheThird" ? Same situation.

corn_fest

Seems like people maybe aren't entirely familiar with the idea of IDs vs. display names...

for example, on Steam, my public name is corn_fest, but my Steam ID is 16502819.
This isn't visible to the public unless you explicitly search for it, and while you can change your display name at any time (multiple users can also have the same display names), the ID number is fixed.

That said, it's unclear whether this system is:

-Mii name (changeable)
--Full user ID (i.e. willwill, changeable)
---numerical identifier (fixed)

or

-Mii name (changeable)
--Full user ID (fixed)

I would hope it's the former, as otherwise the user IDs are going to get taken up very quickly. Also, that would allow for the display of full user IDs in-game to differentiate between people with the same name or if people would rather display a username than their Mii name. It would be strange to play an FPS and have everyone's name just be "Ben", "Samantha", etc.

Vinci

Danish
I know Nintendo isn't always great at communicating stuff (in this case its fair enough, its Japanese) BUT if this were Sony/Xbox we'd be putting all the statements over the last few months and concluding that ID's are the new friends codes and friends codes are out.

Might be proved wrong; but in the end people running about and jumping up and down are just doing it because for some reason its spiritually impossible for Nintendo to both match and have some benefits over the competition.

For now - there is a letter based Network ID and then an account name that shows up for you.

To be fair to those still questioning how this works, Nintendo does have a history of being remarkably stubborn when it comes to this sort of thing whereas Sony and MS don't.

weeman_com

Neo Member
I am assuming this is the method of connection because it says "ID" not "Username" or whatever. (Why would they call your ID the "NN ID" then call something else a user's "ID?" It's not impossible but still silly.)

Another reason I think it's how it works is this is EXACTLY how Flipnote Hatena works, and Miiverse was developed in part BY Hatena. In Flipnote Hatena, you have your main ID which is your actual core ID that identifies you, then your display name, which you can change at your leisure. My Flipnote Hatena page, for example: http://flipnote.hatena.com/5776F1F0CC7D700D@DSi/
Notice "Reed id:LupintheThird" ? Same situation.
Im not getting into a piss fight over this, I am just stating that is 1 piece of information that I have heard. Until it is hard confirmed we cannot discount its validity. Looking at that image with your statement is an assumption because you do not have the hardware in hand.
To add to this, I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just adding that it is ALL rumor/speculation and assumption.

Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE if there was no numerical code needed. I'm just saying, this is Nintendo, so dont expect the logical.

Seems like people maybe aren't entirely familiar with the idea of IDs vs. display names...

for example, on Steam, my public name is corn_fest, but my Steam ID is 16502819.
This isn't visible to the public unless you explicitly search for it, and while you can change your display name at any time (multiple users can also have the same display names), the ID number is fixed.

-Mii name (changeable)

or

-Mii name (changeable)
--Full user ID (fixed)

I would hope it's the former, as otherwise the user IDs are going to get taken up very quickly. Also, that would allow for the display of full user IDs in-game to differentiate between people with the same name or if people would rather display a username than their Mii name. It would be strange to play an FPS and have everyone's name just be "Ben", "Samantha", etc.

Flipnote Hatena works like the latter, so I suspect that's how they'll do it. Although there may be an invisible-to-the-user numerical code working in the background of it all.

Ydahs

-Mii name (changeable)

or

-Mii name (changeable)
--Full user ID (fixed)

Well, the purpose of IDs in this context is that they're unique identifiers, so I wouldn't imagine they'll be changeable. It's probably like the 3DS where the user is represented by their Mii's name.

Having a unique ID also supports the fact that you add someone by that ID, not a string of numbers.

EVH

oxkYl.png

It can't be any clearer than this. That's the username and ID: kenichi. See, now we can give it a rest. No need for <<KillerWeaponDicks>>1998///

God bless Iwata's honey-smelling new haircut for this.

Now, please, update the 3DS OS. Add miiverse support as promised, but also implement this as the default way to go. I don't care if they fuck up the current friend lists, they have to get rid of friend codes and of course with the ability to download retail games, make those downloads user account-tied.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I like that you can follow a large number of people without formally requesting to be "friends". Seems to encourage the social aspect of Miiverse - if you can attach screenshots to public posts as well as send them to friends, great potential for media tourism. Follow people who post a lot of screens to document their playthroughs, etc.

God bless Iwata's honey-smelling new haircut for this.

Now, please, update the 3DS OS. Add miiverse support as promised, but also implement this as the default way to go. I don't care if they fuck up the current friend lists, they have to get rid of friend codes and of course with the ability to download retail games, make those downloads user account-tied.

I think we'll get 'some' Miiverse functionality; but its a big update - don't expect it until the Miiverse on WiiU has been given a bit of time.

But 3DS accounts I'd like ASAP.

corn_fest

Well, the purpose of IDs in this context is that they're unique identifiers, so I wouldn't imagine they'll be changeable. It's probably like the 3DS where the user is represented by their Mii's name.

Having a unique ID also supports the fact that you add someone by that ID, not a string of numbers.

Yeah, I suppose even if it is unchangeable, it's not really that bad. It would be like how usernames work on PSN (outside of Japan), really, and then you would have your changeable Mii name on top of that.

Hobby

Hitting the Home button on the Wii U gamepad during a game brings up this menu:

From left to right
- Friends list
- Miiverse
- Nintendo eShop
- Internet browser
- Nintendo Tvii
- Download management

- Controller settings
- Close software
- Instruction manual

- Close Home button menu

From left to right
- Friends list
- Miiverse
- Nintendo eShop
- Internet browser
- Nintendo Tvii
- Download management

- Controller settings
- Close software
- Instruction manual

Hopefully you can leave something downloading and keep playing.

Edit: Also, thanks Hobby! And keep them coming please.

weeman_com

Neo Member

From left to right
- Friends list
- Miiverse
- Nintendo eShop
- Internet browser
- Nintendo Tvii
- Download management

- Controller settings
- Close software
- Instruction manual
I love this "game suspension" that Nintendo is doing. I have 0 experience with anything similar on PS3, and on Xbox its virtually non existent except for viewing messages and friends etc. But the way it works on 3DS is so good, if only the browser was better! Maybe with an update in the new year we will get a new browser?

EVH

From left to right
- Friends list
- Miiverse
- Nintendo eShop
- Internet browser
- Nintendo Tvii
- Download management

- Controller settings
- Close software
- Instruction manual

- Close Home button menu

I guess that confirms background downloads then. But it is a pitty that there's no direct access to a chat, or something. I guess that is the purpose of Miiverse.

Wonder if third party games can customize this menu, to add and remove functionality.

From left to right
- Friends list
- Miiverse
- Nintendo eShop
- Internet browser
- Nintendo Tvii
- Download management

- Controller settings
- Close software
- Instruction manual

- Close Home button menu

Thanks Hobby! I was really impressed how quickly it popped up; glad Nintendo are running such a heavy OS underneath. All looks very intuitive.

I guess that confirms background downloads then. But it is a pitty that there's no direct access to a chat, or something. I guess that is the purpose of Miiverse.

You can probably get to that through the Friends List. Should also be some form of notification, even if its a wee light like 3DS.

Wonder if third party games can customize this menu, to add and remove functionality.

No chance.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope I'm able to import a Mii to use as my Mii when I first start up rather than trying to replicate it from scratch. May have to go with a character Mii rather than myself since its open to the world. On the 3DS I use a character Mii online and my own Mii for friends and streetpass.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To be honest, with Nintendo's very mainstream focus, retaining an emphasis on backend ID numbers that don't restrict the plain english user handle makes sense, it's not "Nintendo Illogical" - much like Facebook where two people can have the same display name, people using Nintendo Network won't be asked to pick another display name if a variety of common names like "Robert" are already taken.

The fact that NNID is accessible from both mobile devices and a browser on PC insinuates you'd be able to manage your friends list through a browser and not the Nintendo device itself. If so, that seems like it'd take any real effort out of the process. In the absolute worst case scenario you could just CTRL-V over a "friend code" to paste it into the Nintendo Network request form.

Really, there's only two significant questions remaining:

1. Can you search the network globally for a user to add them, rather than only by encountering their Mii in game specific Miiverse spaces.

2. Can you send the friend request from other devices like phone and browser - obviously there is a "request" button inside the Miiverse interface as the screenshots indicate.

But otherwise, very happy with what I'm seeing. Despite the flack that Nintendo gets for "welcome to 2005", there are a lot of new features, not just playing catch-up. I really like the ability to follow people instead of always harassing them to accept a friend request. Opens up possibility for following folks who post lots of screenshots, etc. There's a bit of Twitter in there.

I like the part where the guy from Hatena says this whole system's features can be updated so they will continue to develop it as users use it. It will be up to use to say how we feel about limits of 100 friends.

this is a good start

enewtabie

Seems to be game based and tracked. No universal system of collation, but the ability to brag about completion through the MiiVerse

That's unfortunate. A universal system with rewards for the Miis/Miiverse would have been a definite plus. Maybe they will change it.

Top Bottom