• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NPD PR: 3DS has surpassed 60 million unit worldwide

Delio

Before people point to this as some sort of proof that the dedicated handheld market is healthy: 3DS sales peaked in Q3 2012, even before its second holiday season on the market, and have been in almost continuous decline ever since.

I'm glad you're always here to remind us of handhelds dying.

If I only read your posts I'd be shocked that it was beating the Wii U. What numbers should an overpriced handheld that doesn't get many games in a smartphone world hit? A million shipped in 2 months is fine. Not great, not even good, but fine considering what it is in the overall market.

Literally any conceivable dedicated handheld is overpriced, compared to the prospect of free games on hardware everyone already owns. That's the problem.

Parham

Banned
Nowhere did I ever say or imply that they were.
Then it's a little silly to imply these numbers are impressive.

Edit: Sorry, that sounds a lot more flippant than I intended to be. I just don't think that, even in light of the mobile gaming boom, these numbers are great. It represents a massive contraction in Nintendo's handheld market that is in many ways the result of their own doing.

Griss

The vita, though? People aren't buying these things for tech.

The 3DS had major issues
Hardware reasons:
a) It was too expensive for its target market by far
b) The hardware had a confusing name that meant it wasn't immediately apparent that it was a 'new generation' of handhelds
c) A terrible screen right when cheap phones were starting to make poor resolution screens a thing of the past
d) An ugly clamshell design that made it look like a toy in comparison to other tech products, whereas the DS Lite was pretty damn slick for its time
e) Poor battery life for a gaming product
f) A design flaw that scratched up the top screen (happened to me, pretty damn poor show)
g) Poor multimedia functions - can't really watch movies, web browsing isn't great - these are really a fault of the screen, but still
h) Needed a 'not for young kids 5 and under due to 3D' warning - from a fucking Nintendo handheld!
i) Glasses free 3D was a gimmick no one cared about that added costs

Non-hardware reasons:
j) Marketing was poor
k) Launch software was poor
l) Limited app selection

As for the Vita, it was also too expensive and had little software support and no killer apps, that was its problem as much as anything. As for the 3DS, it DID end up getting a whole bunch of killer apps, which is why they managed to push 60m of a really mediocre machine.

Reasons a) through l) can be fixed by Nintendo next time around with their new hardware. It can only help.

Malakai

What does this have to do with anything?

3DS is the worst selling Nintendo handheld to date, coming off the best selling Nintendo handheld to date. Sales are still higher than what Xbox One will manage, but I think a drop that's quite a bit bigger than the PS2 to PS3 drop negates excellent sales status.

I don't think the third party support is much worse than what the GBA received.

Are you kidding me? The PS2 moved 157 Million units vs PS3 approx. 84 Million.(roughly a 46.5% decrease ) The 3DS did this with crappy support from the gaming industry. The PS3 had publishers and developers putting forth their best efforts in order to move PS3 hardware. Essentially, the gaming industry made the PS3 a success. The 3DS didn't have even that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
3DS has/had quite a bit of support from Ubisoft, Square Enix, Level 5, Namco, and a few others.

I don't see how you can call the lowest/slowest sales in the entire Nintendo handheld line excellent. That said, they aren't horrible. Especially compared to the only other handheld this past generation.

I think considering market conditions, it's excellent.

kswiston

Good. I wonder how many people bought two 3DSs because of region lock.

Probably relatively few. Regular users can't be bothered with importing.

Buying two+ 3DS systems to upgrade to a newer model is going to be way more common, and even then, I'm not sure how common that was.

I am still happy with my near launch model.

Anth0ny

Great to hear. I'm responsible for like 8 of those sales lol

Too bad the next Nintendo handheld probably won't even sell half of that number :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
3DS was a real drag which took a long time to get okay. Cursed by overpriced hardware at the start of its life, then by exceedingly late localizations late into it. -_- The 2016 lineup is amazing but it really needed this kinda lineup earlier in its life!

Could've been better at least in the US if NoA would make up their minds on if they wanna appeal ta casuals or not. Announce $80 2DS alongside Style Savvy 3 and Disney's Magical World 2? Good! Set the price of those games at $40? Bad! C'mon, these aren't Mario or Pokémon or even Fire Emblem. Kirby oughta be $35 max, for that matter!

Ryng_tolu

Banned
People here are really pecsimist.
60 million is a very good milestone, even if not close to what the DS sold.
Should end at about 70 million when all is well and done, which is a very good numbers.

I wonder does he own stock in Apple or Super Cell or Gameloft and/or Google.

I think you're probably the last remaining person on NeoGAF who still believes that mobile gaming has had no impact on the dedicated gaming hardware market. I kinda have to admire that, in a way.

Malakai

Citation needed. Nothing about the Bravely Games scream low budget to me.

I'm still looking for the source. From my understanding people were suggesting this due to paddling issues in the latter half of the game ( heavy reuse of assets) and issue of miss labeled mechanics. It doesn't help that the game had a micro-transaction that you had to use in order to break 9,999 damage limit. (Where enemies can have upto 120,000 HP)

kswiston

Should end at about 70 million when all is well and done, which is a very good numbers.

I wonder if it will get that high. It took about 18 months to go from 50M to 60M, and it looks like shipments are going to be in the 7.5M range from Jul 1 2015 to Jun 30 2016.

I guess it depends on what NX actually ends up being and when it comes out. The DS managed a little less than 10M shipped post 3DS release.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can't help but feel that, for all practical intents, the 3DS is not really a handeld for a lot of owners in a traditional sense. It's more the main Nintendo console for a generation, rather than the Wii U. It was affordable, got the lions share of Nintendo software, and a healthy amount of Japanese games that other consoles don't have.

StereoVsn

Fair enough - SMT and Zero Escape I am certainly going to be looking forward to, forgot about those.

Also 7th Dragon, DQ7, DQ8 should be added. Plus didn't Stella Glow and Hyrule Legends release this year? Surprisingly 3DS output isn't half bad at all this year... well, if you like niche Japanese games, but then again, if you don't why would you want a 3DS? :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Then it's a little silly to imply these numbers are impressive.

Edit: Sorry, that sounds a lot more flippant than I intended to be. I just don't think that, even in light of the mobile gaming boom, these numbers are great. It represents a massive contraction in Nintendo's handheld market that is in many ways the result of their own doing.

I agree with you, but I think the contraction has much more to do with factors outside of Nintendo's control.

Astral Dog

I can't help but feel that, for all practical intents, the 3DS is not really a handeld for a lot of owners in a traditional sense. It's more the main Nintendo console for a generation, rather than the Wii U. It was affordable, got the lions share of Nintendo software, and a healthy amount of Japanese games that other consoles don't have.

it was, it was, since their first announcements you knew wich platform to bet on, Wii U always seemed like an expensive class gift to compliment 3DS.

similarities in the library did not help, for the first time, barring some exceptions you could get the best Nintendo experiences on a handheld, thanks in part to the increased horsepower , Wii U was not much of a differentiator except for HD and a few exclusives,

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wonder if it will get that high. It took about 18 months to go from 50M to 60M, and it looks like shipments are going to be in the 7.5M range from Jul 1 2015 to Jun 30 2016.

I guess it depends on what NX actually ends up being and when it comes out. The DS managed a little less than 10M shipped post 3DS release.

We know they shipped for sure over 1.15 million this quarter, which is not even ended.

With another 3 weeks of June, they should ship something like 1.4-1.5 million this quarter, which is up YOY by a good 40-50% compared to last year. (they only shipped 1.01 million 3DS April to June 2015).

I'm honestly impressed... this mean that this console isn't death as many think.

I think 70 million should be about right, if not, really close to it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That is HORRIBLE.

The smartphone industry has decimated portable consoles. The 3DS also came out as smartphones have started growing in sales, so next Nintendo console will struggle to even reach 60 million. It's okay, a console with 30 million can still have a good selling ecosystem.

Malakai

I think you're probably the last remaining person on NeoGAF who still believes that mobile gaming has had no impact on the dedicated gaming hardware market. I kinda have to admire that, in a way.

The issues of mobile gaming vs handhelds have so many confounding variables; with everyone arguments breaking the decline to handhelds to only "all the causals went to mobile...Nintendo should close up shop" isn't the complete picture. Nintendo screwed up in the handling of the 3DS. Heck the 3DS betrayals every value that have historically made Nintendo's handhelds successful. (Low cost-if not that prices that decreased over time, good battery life, easy to use etc). It feels like with the 3DS Nintendo chased way their "casual" customers. Also, I have an issue with handheld customers equating to being "causal" as they are less-worthy as customer. When someone go out of their way and purchase any piece of dedicated gaming hardware to play games where developer can make games for that population they are its' customer before they deemed them "casual" or "core". Those costumers do not deserve the developer nor publisher disdain. Furthermore, let us not good down the road of the quality of mobile games and the vast amount of genres that aren't even playable on a 5 inch touchscreen cell phone with fingers obscuring the view of UI elements.

If Nintendo follow through with these handheld/console hybrid rumors then I think that may help the market. I'm sure that there are many people who'd love to carry their console games with them! Problem is the likely lack of third party if history continues to repeat itself :/

Aters

Are you kidding me? The PS2 moved 157 Million units vs PS3 approx. 84 Million.(roughly a 46.5% decrease ) The 3DS did this with crappy support from the gaming industry. The PS3 had publishers and developers putting forth their best efforts in order to move PS3 hardware. Essentially, the gaming industry made the PS3 a success. The 3DS didn't have even that.

Excuse me? All the publishers that supported DS support 3DS. 3DS even got Monster Hunter for crying out loud. Saying 3DS lacks 3rd party support is absurd. In fact it is PS3 that lacks support simply because most 3rd party games run better on X360.

Shiggy

Because for obvious reasons comparisons to a pre-smartphone & tablet world aren't relevant.

By your standards there probably wouldn't be any comparisons. DS and GBA sales - not comparable as GBA was in a pre-touch screen world. GBA and GBC, not comparable. GBC was in a pre-shoulder button world.

-Horizon-

What else should we compare it to, though? Are we also meant to assume that the post-mobile contraction of the dedicated handheld market is a past event and not a continuing trend?
Yes, mobile has really affected Nintendo's market but is there really a trend with one gen of data though?
If NX handheld craters even more, sure. That'd suggest more of a trend than one data point of one gen.
What happens if NX maintains ~60 million?

By your standards there probably wouldn't be any comparisons. DS and GBA sales - not comparable as GBA was in a pre-touch screen world. GBA and GBC, not comparable. GBC was in a pre-shoulder button world.
Yes, because those handhelds were all competitors to nintendo itself. Of course!

Malakai

Excuse me? All the publishers that supported DS supporte 3DS. 3DS even got Monster Hunter for crying out loud. Saying 3DS lacks 3rd party support is absurd. In fact it is PS3 that lacks support simply because most 3rd party games run better on X360.

You are right. I should have had phrased my expression clearer. I will implore you to answer this question: How many people would suspect would buy a 3DS due to a third party game? Now, let me ask this question: How many people would you suspect purchased a PS3 due to a third party game? The point I'm trying to make is that there are very few system selling games from third parties on the 3DS vs third party system sellers that were on the PS3.

Talent always wins.

3DS did a great job at surviving the mobile boom, mostly thanks to the great exclusives that you can't find anywhere else.

NX is coming AFTER the explosive growth of mobile games, and that's one big advantage it has over the 3DS. Nintendo is more prepared now (or at least they should be).

Halabane

Good. I wonder how many people bought two 3DSs because of region lock.

Well...three if you count europe...had to have the red monster hunter.

You're just talking regions not special editions right? Cause that number would go up.

I will miss handhelds if they go away. I like my consoles and PC but for some reason the 3ds or the Vita (or their earlier models) is just is a nice experience. It's more like playing a book. Maybe the design of the games have to be different because you are more focused on a small area versus a big screen. Just don't get that from playing on the phone. Must be a generation thing.

casiopao

Talent always wins.

3DS did a great job at surviving the mobile boom, mostly thanks to the great exclusives that you can't find anywhere else.

NX is coming AFTER the explosive growth of mobile games, and that's one big advantage it has over the 3DS. Nintendo is more prepared now (or at least they should be).

Lolol. Sorry Sammy. The moment i read you said Talent always Win. I thought u are going to say that Youkai is going to save NX lol.^~^

Braveyly series was done a shoe string budget. Also, SquareEnix haven't even published the Dragon Quest remakes nor any of the Bravely series in the West. Nintendo is doing the publishing of the Dragon Quest series in the West and Nintendo published Bravely series in the West.

Ubisoft support was utter garbage. Level 5 and Square Enix doesn't even published their own 3DS games in the West. I'm sorry most systems(yes your beloved home systems cuz potable don't count due to reasons) when compared to Nintendo handheld will fall short.

Any how many people actually brought the 3DS to play Yokai Watch in the West?

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Poor sales of Yokai Watch don't devalue Level-5's efforts

Yes, mobile has really affected Nintendo's market but is there really a trend with one gen of data though?
If NX handheld craters even more, sure. That'd suggest more of a trend than one data point of one gen.
What happens if NX maintains ~60 million?

Yes, because those handhelds were all competitors to nintendo itself. Of course!

There are trends within a generation as well. Even disregarding the actual level of sales, we can see that 3DS peaked much earlier in its lifespan than either GBA (2.5 years) or DS (4 years) did.

Elios83

Unfortunately smartphones have killed sales of dedicated portable gaming consoles.
The 3DS is still far from PSP numbers let alone the DS massive mainstream success.
And this 60m market will probably halve with a 3DS successor unless they have a really brilliant idea that becomes a hit among casuals.
It's a shame though because a console with traditional+touch controls can offer a much better gaming experience than a touch only device.

random25

That's basically how the Nintendo handheld is since the fall of Gamecube. GBA, DS and 3DS had a ton more 1st party and 3rd party software support than the home console counterparts. It's just more prominent on 3DS because Wii U basically got no 3rd party support and the 1st party software has been pretty slow to come out.

Aters

You are right. I should have had phrased my expression clearer. I will implore you to answer this question: How many people would suspect would buy a 3DS due to a third party game? Now, let me ask this question: How many people would you suspect purchased a PS3 due to a third party game? The point I'm trying to make is that there are very few system selling games from third parties on the 3DS vs third party system sellers that were on the PS3.

PS3 has 0 3rd party systrm seller because those game run better on X360.

kswiston

Western third parties actually bothered with the GBA

Largely with licensed trash. They still do that on 3DS, only now a lot of it is confined to the eShop instead of taking up retail space.

If you start looking up lists of the best 20-25 GBA titles, the only western pub title that makes the list with any frequency is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2. There were obviously a few other decent western titles on GBA, but not with nearly enough frequency to make me agree that the situation was way better than it is on the 3DS.

Top Bottom