• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NPD PR: 3DS has surpassed 60 million unit worldwide

redcrayon

Different times, different budgets, different mobile competition and thus very different third-party support.

Third-party game releases divided by region

America:

GBA: 950
3DS: 344

Other (Europe etc.):

GBA: 848
3DS: 384

Japan:
GBA: 679
3DS: 472

It's especially telling that in Japan, 3DS is already many million over GBA final LTD but it's unlikely 3DS is going to receive the same quantity of games from third-party (the cause is not just a matter of HW userbase !).

Again very different situation.
With numbers of games, the GBA/DS (like the Gameboy before them) also received huge amounts of licensed shovelware that has now largely disappeared to mobile.

Shame really- I remember when licensed games for kids could be great (amidst the hoards of dross). I still play Capcom's Darkwing Duck on Gameboy now!

At least on mobile they tend to be free, which as a parent I appreciate much more for something unlikely to hold their attention for long.

Celine

Well yeah. Very different times. I really don't think the sheer amount of releases tells the whole picture of third party support of any specific platform. There are simply way less releases nowadays on all platforms (games take more money and time to make). I mean PS4 will not probably get anywhere near the same amount of retail releases as PS2 but in reality it has the support of pretty much the whole industry just like PS2 had.
It doesn't (as I've highlighted budgets and ROI come into play) but it's clear that 3DS getting less than half GBA third-party releases (huge drop) is part of why 3DS performance outside Japan were disappointing.
It also show that something else is stealing funds and developers (mobile and DD on PC) which 15 years ago would have been on handhelds.

mabec

I bought 3 so they most have done something right. Probably had around 5 DS and a bunch GBAs. Nintendos handhelds have always been attractive to me

olimpia84

This 60 million mark is nothing but outstanding considering the 'competition' of smartphones and tablets eating up the marketshare. I see young people playing games on a daily basis on their phones but only saw very few people playing a 3DS or Vita in public so I wonder where all these 60 million people are lol

18-Volt

But western third party still ignore the system. From the initial reveal of the system, I have wanted to play a quality racing game on 3DS which wasn't named Mario Kart or Ridge Racer. But I got nothing.

What am I talking about. In this day and age, even the home consoles don't get a proper racing game, and here I am asking one for handhelds. I guess another fun genre is dying.

Well yeah. Very different times. I really don't think the sheer amount of releases tells the whole picture of third party support of any specific platform. There are simply way less releases nowadays on all platforms (games take more money and time to make). I mean PS4 will not probably get anywhere near the same amount of retail releases as PS2 but in reality it has the support of pretty much the whole industry just like PS2 had.

To be fair, the barriers to entry for all sorts of developers have fallen, and developers who'd traditionally need publisher funding and backing to make the kind of games they'd make in the PS2 generation can do so independently.

So I think the number of releases still bears importance, so long as they aren't (on average) selling low figures or being ignored by customers like some of the Nintendo Web Framework stuff.

This piece on The Great Software Pipeline across the hardware generations provides some interesting context.

That's really impressive. Only two million sales more and it surpasses the NES/Famicom, Nintendo's second most successful home console. But then again, handhelds usually sell better than consoles (my sister and me have one Wii U, yet four 3DSes, that's what I mean). And the 3DS is currently Nintendo's worst selling handheld – it needs 20 million more sales to surpass the GBA, which the 3DS certainly won't archive. But given the market situation, I still think that's kinda impressive.

deleted

You're crazy if you think 3DS is going to sell 10 or more million units. There aren't any major releases after Pokemon and the NX is coming out next year.

The 3DS won't magically stop selling once the NX is there. The sales in the west might pick up a little due to a pretty good lineup this year + Pokemon. There still is a new mainline Dragon Quest coming out in Japan. It will sell a few million more before it's dead over there.
There is always christmas where Nintendo hardware sells pretty well. The 3DS will most likely see a pricedrop once the NX is there and have a christmas after that.
So 10 more million don't sound totally of the question worldwide. At least to me.

Ganondolf

I expect it will have lifetime sales of 70m+

they still have pokemon coming and at least 1 xmas before any new hardware is out. there is also a lot of room for price reductions as well as being sold as a cheap handheld after the nx replacement is out.

MacTag

Banned
You can see the full 3DS TTM (trailing twelve months, which smooths out seasonal variations in demand) sales graph here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Matt..._revisions_improve_Nintendos_handheld_biz.php

3DS sales peaked in the quarter ending in September 2012, seven quarters into its lifespan and before even its second holiday season, at around 15M/year.

DS sales peaked in Q4 2008 at around 30M/year, over four years into its lifespan (17 quarters) and in its fifth holiday season.

GBA sales peaked in Q4 2003 at around 18M/year, twelve quarters into its lifespan and in its third holiday season.
Slight correction but Q4 2008 would be the 4th holiday season for DS.

edit: I'm wrong, for some reason I discounted it's launch being a holiday season in my head. Probably because no other Nintendo handheld launched during the holidays.

tebunker

Banned
No one is arguing that the nearly 60% drop from the DS to the 3DS can't be accounted for. Smartphones hit dedicated gaming devices hard. The Vita is more than proof of that.

The 3DS weathered the storm better than Sony's handheld did, however, a 60% drop from your previous product is not really excellent sales.

As for RIM/Blackberry:

unit-sales-800x450.jpg

Marketshare took a huge dive, because iOS/Android blew the market open, but their sales numbers actually continued to increase or slowly decrease well beyond the point that people where starting to declare them dead.

True to an extent I guess. Blackberry faltered because they couldn't match/keep up with iOS or Android in terms of features and cross platform synergy. Dedicated handhelds have declined because a lot of people are happy with the gaming experiences they can get on the mobile device they already own.
Except I wouldn't even say it is that. A lot of it is parents no longer buying their kids the $100-$200 handheld videogame system when they can just give them their old phone or tablet.

It is that ease of use. A majority of people don't care what their kids are using as a lot of them used handhelds as a means to keep their kids quiet. A real shame honestly.

But the ease of just handing down old iPod touches, then iPads and then iPhones and all the android equivalents just became too easy. Add on to that the proliferation of the sub $80 tablet and it is amazing that the 3ds put up numbers like this at all.

Doesn't help that Nintendo is god awful at courting 3rd party developers etc. Look at all the free apps available on android and ios a lot of the Lego "free" games that interact with their toys. There is no reason Nintendo couldn't have found a way to get stuff on 3ds other than it has never been a priority.

Sterok

Markets change, products change, companies change. The 3DS successor will be its own product with its own successes and failings. It's a tough market, but since Nintendo is likely to do something stupid it's too early to make firm predictions. The GBA didn't follow the same pattern as the DS/PSP, and they didn't follow the same pattern as the 3DS/Vita. New system, new trend. The real problem is that I doubt Nintendo will create a good product for the market, but they've suprised before.

I wonder how many 3DS' are in active use still, like connecting to the eShop at least once a month or something? I know in my household we've owned 4-5 3DS's but only one (mine) is active anymore, the rest are all just in closets and probably gonna be donated this christmas. I'm sure its above 50%, but is it 70, 80, 90%?

What exactly, other than wishful thinking, leads people to conclude that the impact of mobile gaming has already come and gone? Mobile hardware sales may be slowing, but the mobile gaming market is continually growing even as sales of 3DS hardware and software shrink.

Literally nothing about 3DS' sales trends suggests a healthy market that isn't continually shrinking.

Crazy to see that the entire handheld market has shrunk to a degree that the PSP alone moved more consoles than the 3ds and Vita combined.

It's amazing how Nintendo managed to at least turn around the 3DS, and how the system eventually sold even with the whole "3D" name being attached to itself for its entire life.

But it's also a shame the system sold lower than Nintendo's internal expectations year after year, and if you look at the regional breakdown for 3DS sales this is a platform that has mostly been sustained by Japan, which is a stark change to previous Nintendo handhelds.

Food for thought:

The N64 was a success in North America. It's its performance everywhere else that made it a big sales disappointment.

Different times, different budgets, different mobile competition and thus very different third-party support.

Third-party game releases divided by region

America:

GBA: 950
3DS: 344

Other (Europe etc.):

GBA: 848
3DS: 384

Japan:
GBA: 679
3DS: 472

It's especially telling that in Japan, 3DS is already many million over GBA final LTD but it's unlikely 3DS is going to receive the same quantity of games from third-party (the cause is not just a matter of HW userbase !).

Again very different situation.

Those numbers don't include digital games. Independent games are the equivalent of low- to mid-budget retail releases of the past. Those numbers include Face Racers: Photo Finish but not Mutant Mudds. Driver Renegade, but not IronFall Invasion. Nano Assault, but not Nano Assault EX.

Malakai

To be fair, the barriers to entry for all sorts of developers have fallen, and developers who'd traditionally need publisher funding and backing to make the kind of games they'd make in the PS2 generation can do so independently.

So I think the number of releases still bears importance, so long as they aren't (on average) selling low figures or being ignored by customers like some of the Nintendo Web Framework stuff.

This piece on The Great Software Pipeline across the hardware generations provides some interesting context.

Maybe for certain genres of games can be done on a lower budget of development and/or by independent developers. However, for the genres that I like to play-Racing and SRPG/Tactical RPG games-typically aren't done by independent developers. I do recall one poster stating that for SRPG/Tactical RPG games typical requires heavy AI logic which is really difficult to implement.

This 60 million mark is nothing but outstanding considering the 'competition' of smartphones and tablets eating up the marketshare. I see young people playing games on a daily basis on their phones but only saw very few people playing a 3DS or Vita in public so I wonder where all these 60 million people are lol

I play them in my car on my break. I think most people play these systems in bed or generally just in the house more, honestly.

Malakai

Markets change, products change, companies change. The 3DS successor will be its own product with its own successes and failings. It's a tough market, but since Nintendo is likely to do something stupid it's too early to make firm predictions. The GBA didn't follow the same pattern as the DS/PSP, and they didn't follow the same pattern as the 3DS/Vita. New system, new trend. The real problem is that I doubt Nintendo will create a good product for the market, but they've suprised before.

You say it is too early to make a prediction but yet you say Nintendo is likely to do "something" stupid. Nintendo make a few mistake with one of there handhelds(out of four) and the trend is for Nintendo to make the same mistake with the next handheld...

Really tempted to pick up a New Nintendo 3DS tomorrow . . . is it definitely worth it? Are all games now looking better? I have a 3DS but not sure whether to take the plunge.

I think it's pretty impressive for how the market is going today. How many other companies have sold 60 million of any handheld device or gadget that doesn't use a cellular connection or isnt in some way a cell phone?

DS was better of course but it also appealed to a demographic that is now playing free games on a phone.

jblank83

Really tempted to pick up a New Nintendo 3DS tomorrow . . . is it definitely worth it? Are all games now looking better? I have a 3DS but not sure whether to take the plunge.

The New 3DS does not improve games that were not made for it. It does natively support games that had circle pad pro support. So when you load up Majora's Mask, you can use the nub for camera control. Only a couple of games specifically support/require the New 3DS, like Xenoblade, SNES VC, and a few indie games like Binding of Isaac.

The native benefit of improved system power is that the operating system, switching applications, and loading times in general are much faster.

Personally I think it's great. I'll be using my system for years, even after they discontinue it. I have a ton of games still to play.

You say it is too early to make a prediction but yet you say Nintendo is likely to do "something" stupid. Nintendo make a few mistake with one of there handhelds(out of four) and the trend is for Nintendo to make the same mistake with the next handheld...
They did strange things with almost all of their handhelds.

Gb, awesome device!
Gbc, stopgap device for fullprice. Other than that; great device.
Gba, lack of buttons / light, no normal headphone jack in gba sp, low first party support etc.
Ds, launchgame is mario64, but ds has no analog. Weird online; if available. Hardware locked downloads, ugly first release,
Virtualboy, f#cking faillure; red black headache!
3ds, high price, 3d not suitable for biggest audience, regio-locked

stryke

Contributed just last week. N3DS was heavily at Target, mainly picked it up for my brother for pokemon. Intend to play PersonaQ but man it's an incredibly uncomfortable device to hold.

Calm Mind

Congrats on the 60mil, but you'd better have a plan to replace this fucking thing that isn't 'portable version of the NX in late 2017 / early 2018'.

With the delay in the NX to early 2017 I want to see the handheld version there day and date.

Which, to be fair, is because
a) It's a really, really mediocre piece of hardware that felt dated by late 2012/2013, and
b) The software people wanted (3D Land and Mario Kart 7) and the price cut had both hit by then.

60 mil units with such a flawed product is fine. Create a better product and they can still have a market niche there.

Announce it casually in a corporate email, followed by a few well placed "leaks" and then an initial reveal with price and games at E3 2017 with a launch soon after.

Calm Mind

Are you kidding me? The PS2 moved 157 Million units vs PS3 approx. 84 Million.(roughly a 46.5% decrease ) The 3DS did this with crappy support from the gaming industry. The PS3 had publishers and developers putting forth their best efforts in order to move PS3 hardware. Essentially, the gaming industry made the PS3 a success. The 3DS didn't have even that.

for truth.

Malakai

Announce it casually in a corporate email, followed by a few well placed "leaks" and then an initial reveal with price and games at E3 2017 with a launch soon after.

Honestly, I'm hoping that the next handheld is released in 2018. With a release date that late Nintendo should be able to used a 10nm SoC; possible a more energy efficient screen(s), faster and for efficient ram; and the latest battery tech. The next handheld should be a giant leap tech-wise even with the screens being 480p or 540p.

for truth.

It was quite disheartening to see that the Western developers abandoned the platform when I first brought my OG 3DS XL and 2DS back in 2014. I was looking for all types of games from different genres and (arcade racing, 3d platforming, arcade shooters etc) they were no where to be found.

On another note, it was ridiculous that third parties publishers complains that Nintendo releases crowed out their sales. Then when given the opportunity to not complete with Nintendo (Nintendo held back first party games), instead of releasing high quailty games third parties released trash and old, feature missing and rehashed ports. Then, when the 3DS sales started tanked due to their poor quality games, third parties rushed to canceled and publishers dumped the 3DS entirely even though the 3DS sales have had recovered. When thinking about this some more I honesty think that are several players in the gaming industry that wanted the 3DS to fail.

Top Bottom