• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
How many Watt's do we expect the SOC will use?

It would have to be under 5W for one. I'd estimate that they'll aim for 3-4W.

However, I don't think we'll see 3 SMs because the chip would simply be too large.

He's saying that the devkit could be running at full speed without the option for any other mode, since the devkit will never been running on battery.

This allows devs to target the full speed specs, rather than see two different power levels at different clock speeds. Then the OS natively downclocks the portable when it's removed from the power supply and does so in a way that seamlessly scales down the game and the processing power required to run it.

I don't know if this is possible but how else do you reconcile overclocked or even full speed TX1s in the devkits? Even if they are designed to simulate the power of a Pascal Tegrea the Pascal chip would likely be using far too much power for a portable at that power level.

Yeah, not possible. The dev would still need to optimize the game and build in the ability to run at the lower resolution. And we don't know if the X1 is running at full speed.

ggx2ac

I just want to be clear that this is not what I was thinking at all.

I can't even remember half of your posts in this thread. I was going off of people reacting to Iherre just now when I already speculated on Twitter around July 30th that I was sceptical of the NX being able to output AAA games at 1080p in the docked mode without some consequence like a more expensive product.

G.ZZZ

I can't even remember half of your posts in this thread. I was going off of people reacting to Iherre just now when I already speculated on Twitter around July 30th that I was sceptical of the NX being able to output AAA games at 1080p in the docked mode without some consequence like a more expensive product.

Who are those people who expected a XbOne at lower price and smaller form factor + a screen? Cause they got some realistic expectations

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Who are those people who expected a XbOne at lower price and smaller form factor + a screen? Cause they got some realistic expectations

I haven't seen many on here.

Thraktor

How many Watt's do we expect the SOC will use?

If we're talking about a portable, then I'd expect the full SoC to draw about 2W, with the GPU comprising 1-1.5W of that, but it's conceivable (depending on battery capacity and the ability for the case to dissipate heat) that it could be as much as 3W, which would likely mean a GPU power draw of around 2W.

If we're talking about "docked mode" then the answer is kind of arbitrary, as it depends on what, if any, cooling solution is used. In theory you could draw 20W or so with a good cooling system, but I've yet to be convinced that such a thing would be actually practical.

He's saying that the devkit could be running at full speed without the option for any other mode, since the devkit will never been running on battery.

This allows devs to target the full speed specs, rather than see two different power levels at different clock speeds. Then the OS natively downclocks the portable when it's removed from the power supply and does so in a way that seamlessly scales down the game and the processing power required to run it.

I don't know if this is possible but how else do you reconcile overclocked or even full speed TX1s in the devkits? Even if they are designed to simulate the power of a Pascal Tegrea the Pascal chip would likely be using far too much power for a portable at that power level.

The OS "seamlessly scaling down the game" without input from the game developers is not something I would see happening. If there are two different performance levels for the device developers would have to know about it (unless Nintendo themselves haven't made a final decision yet).

Peterc

So, isn't it logical for Nintendo to bring a powerful handheld first before a new console? That even can run unreal4 engine. 3ds has been released before wiiu.

This handheld could maybe run ports easily with a lower res.

Beside the handheld. Wiiu is 4y old. Wouldn't they better wait until next gen ps5 comes to release their new console?

People are disappointed because we are getting a handheld before a console, me too. But looking at the past, it's always have been like that.

ggx2ac

Well, you couldn't have missed the many times people were trying to speculate that the NX would be 540p in portable mode and then 1080p in docked mode. They reasoned it multiplies nicely because it's 4 times difference.

It could do that but I could never see it happen for matching AAA games on consoles and that's where I bring up the other rumours from MCV about the "it's cheaper than people are expecting."

If it's going to be cheap than I can't expect it to match current gen consoles in power.

Edit: As I said, it's powerful for a handheld but since we are having to discuss it's console capabilities in a hybrid form is where my scepticism is.

The OS "seamlessly scaling down the game" without input from the game developers is not something I would see happening. If there are two different performance levels for the device developers would have to know about it (unless Nintendo themselves haven't made a final decision yet).

Yeah I thought about it for a minute after I posted it and it seems pretty impossible, without some magical scaling tech.

But how can we reconcile a TX1 in the devkit if there is no upclocking or downclocking going on as lherre suggests may be the case? I guess it's possible that the TX1 was downclocked in the devkit, but wouldn't the Eurogamer article mention that? What of the report about audible fan noise if it's downclocked?

Something just isn't adding up here. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 2x level Wii U portable but these reports seem to be missing a whole bunch of the picture.

Eolz

So, isn't it logical for Nintendo to bring a powerful handheld first before a new console? That even can run unreal4 engine. 3ds has been released before wiiu.

This handheld could maybe run ports easily with a lower res.

Beside the handheld. Wiiu is 4y old. Wouldn't they better wait until next gen ps5 comes to release their new console?

People are disappointed because we are getting a handheld before a console, me too. But looking at the past, it's always have been like that.

The thing is that the latest info is no console at all. This is the new handheld and the new console.
Woukdn't mind at all if it was just the handheld, but the wiiu support is dying too much for that. They would ride out with some games like they did with the wii if another console was coming later.

Oregano

Yeah I thought about it for a minute after I posted it and it seems pretty impossible, without some magical scaling tech.

But how can we reconcile a TX1 in the devkit if there is no upclocking or downclocking going on as lherre suggests may be the case? I guess it's possible that the TX1 was downclocked in the devkit, but wouldn't the Eurogamer article mention that? What of the report about audible fan noise if it's downclocked?

Something just isn't adding up here. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 2x level Wii U portable but these reports seem to be missing a whole bunch of the picture.

Maybe it's just that Nintendo is going for a bigger form factor with a pascal based Tegra.

I have joked in the past that NX would be a gaming tablet. Could be true.

If we're talking about a portable, then I'd expect the full SoC to draw about 2W, with the GPU comprising 1-1.5W of that, but it's conceivable (depending on battery capacity and the ability for the case to dissipate heat) that it could be as much as 3W, which would likely mean a GPU power draw of around 2W.

If we're talking about "docked mode" then the answer is kind of arbitrary, as it depends on what, if any, cooling solution is used. In theory you could draw 20W or so with a good cooling system, but I've yet to be convinced that such a thing would be actually practical.

So that would still be a 300+ Gflop device, which is about 2x Wii U, right? I would be fine with that, though I can also see where some people would be disappointed.

Edit: I realize these are just estimates

Yup. Also osirisblack's comment about ports having little to no issue running on NX.

I'm starting to consider the possibility that we've been looking at this in reverse: the NX doesn't "overclock" itself or run "at full speed" when docked, it simply runs at a certain clockspeed by default and then downclocks itself to save battery when you play on the go on its lower res screen, but it's still able to show the same results on it due to that resolution (540p) needing less resources.

If we look at it this way vs "portable with a tv out", then it actually is a hybrid, and it uses mobile components because they're a much better fit for a configuration like this (the obvious trade off being having to use less powerful hardware than a "true" home console). Maybe it would also explain lherre not hearing about different "modes" and df not reporting anything about it. The hardware is that, and devs program for it.

I also wonder if they can design a cooling system inside the device that it's active when it has to dissipate the heat produced by the hardware when we play on the TV, and that turns off the fan (or at least runs much quieter) when used as a standalone handheld with much lower clockspeeds, similar in a way to the 0 fan tech we've seen in many modern GPUs. Maybe this would also explain the df report about that noisy TX1 fan inside the devkits.

Read the post he was responding to.

There is no need for fans if it under clocks and if at normal speed it does not need fans.

Devs kits might be running at dock speed and with analysis software overhead, there before the need for fans

The only scaling going is outputting a 540p resolution instead of 1080p. Thats 4 times less pixels.

Nintendo would aim for whatever graphic quality allows them to do that.

Being easy to port doesn't mean equal graphics as ps4 , it means that it can run the engine. Just like weaker pcs can run games but with fewer whistles.

MuchoMalo

Banned

2W? Well, now I understand your CPU clock predictions. What screen size are you guessing with that prediction?

I'm really not sure if the CPU will even beat Wii U's across the board with a 1W budget.

Maybe it's just that Nintendo is going for a bigger form factor with a pascal based Tegra.

In that case would it actually be feasible to get at least stock TX1 performance (512GFlops) in a tablet on battery mode with a Pascal based Tegra chip? That would be a pretty damn beefy tablet! Interesting idea...

ggx2ac

I thought about this too because once people started speculating about a 5-inch screen size displaying 540p. I was thinking how that would even be certain other than Matt hinting at the resolution of the device.

There's no conclusive evidence yet so its just as likely that the NX could be tablet sized which would help with people's concerns about the size of the detachable controllers.

However, it's all speculation until it's all revealed.

Oregano

In that case would it actually be feasible to get at least stock TX1 performance (512GFlops) in a tablet on battery mode with a Pascal based Tegra chip? That would be a pretty damn beefy tablet! Interesting idea...

I don't know enough to slgive a proper answer but if Pascal is 60% more efficient it might be able to get close.

I wonder if there aren't varying power draws for the SoC depending on the game. Isn't this so w/ PS4 and Xbone (with Wii U being the odd one out and always drawing the same nomatter the game)? Looking it up, it seems PS4 TDP can vary by 20 watts or so, depending on the game. Of course, there would always be an upper limit of what the handheld could draw (4-5watts or so and perhaps reaching ~2x Wii U in performance), but if only rendering, say a 540p image, it's possible that it might only draw 3-4 watts. I'm basically saying that maybe there aren't 2 different "modes" but something more dynamic on a case by case basis.

I thought about this too because once people started speculating about a 5-inch screen size displaying 540p. I was thinking how that would even be certain other than Matt hinting at the resolution of the device.

There's no conclusive evidence yet so its just as likely that the NX could be tablet sized which would help with people's concerns about the size of the detachable controllers.

However, it's all speculation until it's all revealed.

tablet size is also a good selling point for parents. Get youtube and netflix running and you have a kids tablet. Also fits well with the hand recognition patents.

I don't know enough to slgive a proper answer but if Pascal is 60% more efficient it might be able to get close.

From what I've seen in this thread (I don't know much about this stuff either) a TX1 running at peak clocks draws 20W, and 40% of 20W is 8W which is still far too much for a typical handheld running on battery (according to Thraktor's estimations). I don't know if a tablet form factor would allow for that though.

Rodin

No i'm saying that devs see the "full specs" of the console, and that's what they are reporting. Then they can adjust the game for the screen res (540p?), which needs much lower clockspeeds, but that isn't the "base hardware" that upclocks itself when docked like some of us speculated (which would create the cooling problems we already discussed, and the discrepancy between the reports we've read). It's the other way around. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I posted this because i'm not sure if it's possible at all (this and the part about the cooling system, which are actually tied), and i wanted to see opinions from other people.

ggx2ac

tablet size is also a good selling point for parents. Get youtube and netflix running and you have a kids tablet. Also fits well with the hand recognition patents.

I definitely forgot about that. Wii U already has those relevant video apps and it would probably look better watching videos in a tablet sized NX although that may mean the screen would have to have an HD resolution as well.

LordOfChaos

As you can see, a 3x SM configuration can achieve nearly the same performance with 1000mW that a 2x SM configuration can with twice that, and a full 50% more than a 1x SM config can manage with 2000mW at hand.

To support this it's exactly what Intel and Apple did for the Macbook Air, they went from 16 to 40 cores in the same 15W form factor, but doing it in 40 allowed it to run at lower power (and a bit higher performance) rather than just much higher performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch/4

You can spend die size to reduce power draw, rather than more SMs always meaning more power. As you said, 3SMs at performance X would draw less power than 1SM at the same performance X. And then they could use that power saving for more performance as well.

I think 3SMs might be overly optimistic, but certainly 2 could do more at less power than 1.

MuchoMalo

Banned
My expectation is ~2W for the SOC, 5~6W for the whole system in handheld mode.

I still thinking 8xA53 + 1 SM@500 MHz. Hope I'm wrong.

Why would they need 8 cores, though? It would make more sense to have 4 cores and 2 SMs with a such a low power level.

No i'm saying that devs see the "full specs" of the console, and that's what they are reporting. Then they can adjust the game for the screen res (540p?), which needs much lower clockspeeds, but that isn't the "base hardware" that upclocks itself when docked like some of us speculated (which would create the cooling problems we already discussed, and the discrepancy between the reports we've read). It's the other way around. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I posted this because i'm not sure if it's possible at all (this and the part about the cooling system, which are actually tied), and i wanted to see opinions from other people.

I don't think fan is an option from a cost perspective. Too many moving parts and possible overheating an damage if something goes wrong.

Nintendo more likely just be happy with whatever power they can get without a fan, as long as it surpasses wii u graphics and it can use modern engines.

I definitely forgot about that. Wii U already has those relevant video apps and it would probably look better watching videos in a tablet sized NX although that may mean the screen would have to have an HD resolution as well.

Some one said that the resolution was better than most expected but worse than we hopped. Also if you make it a phablet size, you can have bigger battery and more power.

If its a good kids tablet, a good handheld, and the gimmick is cool i think Nintendo is up to something quite good.

To support this it's exactly what Intel and Apple did for the Macbook Air, they went from 16 to 40 cores in the same 15W form factor, but doing it in 40 allowed it to run at lower power (and a bit higher performance) rather than just much higher performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch/4

You can spend die size to reduce power draw, rather than more SMs always meaning more power. As you said, 3SMs at performance X would draw less power than 1SM at the same performance X. And then they could use that power saving for more performance as well.

I think 3SMs might be overly optimistic, but certainly 2 could do more at less power than 1.

This is actually quite informing. Thanks.

I forgot that power doesn't scale linearly. (Still learning the finer points of EE.)

Assuming this is in fact a more tablet sized piece of hardware as the controllers and general strategy have shown, this may be possible.

LordOfChaos

Why would they need 8 cores, though? It would make more sense to have 4 cores and 2 SMs with a such a low power level.

A53 is maybe around half the A57s performance, but it's proportionally much smaller than half the die size, so 8 of those over 4 A57s can be done for die area saving. Ideally I'd want 4 A57s, but if they go with A53s 8 makes sense to me. they're trivially small to throw on a die. It's why many cheap phones are octa core while better ones often have less cores which can look odd to untrained consumers.

Losing 4 A53 cores would be nowhere near 1SM of die size.

Not dissimilar to having 8 Jaguar cores vs 4 or even 2 that provide the same performance, but those larger cores scale more in die area than they do in performance

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7995/Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 2.59.56 AM.png

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. It's still strange that Eurogamer and lherre (I'm gonna assume lowercase L, sorry if I'm wrong) haven't heard anything about varying power levels or resolutions if what you're saying is the case.

Maybe I'm fixating on that too much though.

MacTag

Banned

From the sounds of it that's exactly what it is. A Wii U Gamepad that you can remove the physical controls from, it's bigger than a traditional or even oversized handheld.

I don't think fan is an option from a cost perspective. Too many moving parts and possible overheating an damage if something goes wrong.

Nintendo more likely just be happy with whatever power they can get without a fan, as long as it surpasses wii u graphics and it can use modern engines.

Some one said that the resolution was better than most expected but worse than we hopped. Also if you make it a phablet size, you can have bigger battery and more power.

If its a good kids tablet, a good handheld, and the gimmick is cool i think Nintendo is up to something quite good.

I'm a full convert of "less moving parts" this week. My Wii U's disc drive just broke. :(

joesiv

Yeah, not possible. The dev would still need to optimize the game and build in the ability to run at the lower resolution. And we don't know if the X1 is running at full speed.
What is so hard about dev's optimizing for two different configurations? It could easily be a part of Nintendo's lot checks, ensure the game runs in undocked mode at acceptable performance. The Dev would just have to have a separate configuration for graphic settings, LOD's etc.. If it's a known quantity dev's can adapt.

There is no need for fans if it under clocks and if at normal speed it does not need fans.
As far as I know we don't know the clocks of the dev kits. And I believe the X1 under normal conditions does need a fan, though for retail products it isn't a significant one.

I see this as ok because there's really only so much pocket space. I carry my phone, my key's and my identification/wallet in my pockets and there's not much room left for a handheld. I carry 3DS in my bag.

Kids nowadays have a pocket, but the phone takes up most of the space. They aren't going to be able to carry another handheld around. But a tablet in a backpack? Sure. In fact, if you're aiming for bag/backpack size, a tablet is easier to access than digging to the bottom for a handheld.

It also addresses the issue of an easier control scheme. Wii nailed that option, while the WiiU failed on it. If the NX offers control options in 3 basic tiers going from touch-1 input, one controller sideways-buttons and movement, to dual analog style multi input, it could serve as an all-in-one aid to help those that find it difficult to jump from a simpler tier like touch straight into a complex dual analog style.

From the sounds of it that's exactly what it is. A Wii U Gamepad that you can remove the physical controls from, it's bigger than a traditional or even oversized handheld.

I think we are onto something. Nintendo loves rehashing ideas.

As far as I know we don't know the clocks of the dev kits. And I believe the X1 under normal conditions does need a fan, though for retail products it isn't a significant one.

Nintendo will be using a custom one, and if they need to underpowered it a bit to make it finless they will.

I see this as ok because there's really only so much pocket space. I carry my phone, my key's and my identification/wallet in my pockets and there's not much room left for a handheld. I carry 3DS in my bag.

Kids nowadays have a pocket, but the phone takes up most of the space. They aren't going to be able to carry another handheld around. But a tablet in a backpack? Sure. In fact, if you're aiming for bag/backpack size, a tablet is easier to access than digging to the bottom for a handheld.

It also addresses the issue of an easier control scheme. Wii nailed that option, while the WiiU failed on it. If the NX offers control options in 3 basic tiers going from touch-1 input, one controller sideways-buttons and movement, to dual analog style multi input, it could serve as an all-in-one aid to help those that find it difficult to jump from a simpler tier like touch straight into a complex dual analog style.

Thats a great observation!

joesiv

pascal_powercurve.png

1x SM:

1000 mW - 780 MHz - 200 Gflops FP32 - 400 Gflops FP16
1500 mW - 915 MHz - 234 Gflops FP32 - 468 Gflops FP16
2000 mW - 1025 MHz - 262 Gflops FP32 - 525 Gflops FP16

2x SM:

1000 mW - 595 MHz - 305 Gflops FP32 - 609 Gflops FP16
1500 mW - 700 MHz - 358 Gflops FP32 - 717 Gflops FP16
2000 mW - 780 MHz - 400 Gflops FP32 - 800 Gflops FP16

3x SM:

1000 mW - 510 MHz - 392 Gflops FP32 - 783 Gflops FP16
1500 mW - 600 MHz - 461 Gflops FP32 - 922 Gflops FP16
2000 mW - 670 MHz - 515 Gflops FP32 - 1030 Gflops FP16
Thanks for this, it puts everything into perspective! And that's with pascal cores!

Put me in the team hoping for 3SM pascal cores, but also in the team expecting 1SM Pascals :(
But in all cases, I'm expecting/hoping for a docked mode!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Fan in the dock with ducting in the handheld to channel air to the heat sink

Malus

I don't see that they did, OB said it can run AAA engines, Iherre simply said we obviously can't expect a PS4 in a handheld form factor yet. Running an engine itself isn't running all the visual confetti in a PS4 version of a game.

OsirisBlack never said anything about engines. That was just someone's speculatiion behind what he might've meant.

Vena

lol

Why did this thread spiral so badly for like three pages? lherre's input was nothing outside of what we already knew. This thing is and never would be going to match PS4s or therein as it is a handheld.

NateDrake

lol

Why did this thread spiral so badly for like three pages? lherre's input was nothing outside of what we already knew. This thing is and never would be going to match PS4s or therein as it is a handheld.

Because this lead up to a hardware reveal has been legendary. We have folks actively dismissing EuroGamer, IGN, Kotaku, WSJ, and other legit outlets because the reports aren't matching their expectations based on the grounds of common sense and hunches.

Because this lead up to a hardware reveal has been legendary. We have folks actively dismissing EuroGamer, IGN, Kotaku, WSJ, and other legit outlets because the reports aren't matching their expectations based on the grounds of common sense and hunches.

Many sites and outside folks with similar sources and info that line up with each other: Here is all the things we know and it doesn't include clear indication on this aspect until the reveal.

Possible insider gaffer: But wait.

Everyone: Guess Nintendo's fucked.

What about dust? Any internal fan drawing air in would be the same.

And yes it has moving parts but it'd be in the much simpler dock. The handheld would have any moving parts

I think that if Nintendo is aiming for a cheap device, they will rather under clock it that use a fan.

Malus

lol

This thread sparked a lot of discussion/hope about how close a Pascal based NX could get to current home consoles.

Either way every single thing we have heard "rumor" wise since the WSJ "industry leading chips" article has been contradicting. I am more than okay with you guys going over hypothetical numbers from x1 and x2 Ina handheld console environment. The issue is every time someone comes in with sourced info it adds nothing but confusion to the discussion. People are taking it as gospel and oh look another Nintendo doomed thread.

But industry leading chips could mean chips that do no consume much and need no ventilation.

Real question, who actually carries their handheld in their pocket? Everyone I know in college has it in their bag.

I think Nintendo may not be restricting themselves to a pocket-able form factor. This is especially plausible considering the 2DS was obviously not meant to be carried in one's pockets which indicates a sort of departure from their usual design. DS went from DS Phat to lite, but in recent years the trend has reversed to 3DS-3DSXL-New3DS-New3DSXL-2DS.

ggx2ac

That's why I want this to get revealed ASAP because I keep seeing too many retweets of Trev trying to convince people that he is right when I haven't seen anything convincing that would disprove Eurogamer's rumours or seeing him build a strong case for his thinking that NX will be AMD x86-64 based.

NateDrake

What about wsj saying demo that can only run on high end pc. They come back and confirm eurogamer but say nothing else about te graphics that their "sources" saw with their own eyes. There is a lot missing here it's pretty obvious. I guess for those who have had enough yes it's can be tuff but September is next month wait on Nintendo to give you the real deal instead of confusing info.

Several people who said who have seen a demo said what they saw is impossible to run on a computer without a "industry-leading" or "cutting-edge" chips. Cutting-edge in what way, they refused to elaborate.

That's different than high-end PC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Question for those with more technological knowledge:

Is it possible for them to come out with the base handheld and powerless dock now, but then later supplement or replace the dock with something that adds power to the TV performance?

That way, the handheld stays the same power always but the TV performance can be increased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom