• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX won't use Android. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Schnozberry

Whatever the OS is, Nintendo needs to focus on having a robust and flexible tool chain ready at launch. The Wii U developement environment was a calamity until well after launch.

Well, I mean, you could say that android phones aren't running Linux, too, but that's a half-truth.

I expected a fork and new branding, and this is right in line with that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Said it in the other thread that I seriously doubted it. Nintendo can change, but they don't change THAT much that quickly.

Griss

Everyone keeps posting that Miyamoto statement about the 3DS, but he dodged the question--he never actually came out and said "no, it's not happening."

This time we got a definitive "no." It isn't the same situation.

This is how I saw it. They could have gone with 'inaccurate reports' but they went with 'no truth' which is mighty definitive. Nintendo can't lie to the press about such important matters that could affect share prices. Seems unlikely. Only wiggle room is in the use of the word 'planning'.

Mandoric

Banned
This is how I saw it. They could have gone with 'inaccurate reports' but they went with 'no truth' which is mighty definitive. Nintendo can't lie to the press about such important matters that could affect share prices. Seems unlikely. Only wiggle room is in the use of the word 'planning'.

Or the use of the word "Android" rather than "AOSP-based Linux", which is the conclusion everyone with the technical knowledge of a brick jumped to (as the key difference is that Google collects licensing fees and mandates various UI/UX elements for the first).

beril

It better be either ARM or x86. If they go PowerPC again I'm going to flip

It's probably not very likely but I don't see why anyone would be upset if they did. The instruction set has very little relevance for development, and none for consumers.

Shengar

Great, this will shut up a stupid people in my facebook group who believed all Nintendo games should be F2P and always online just because it used Android OS.
Yes this person is real.

Schnozberry

Power PC is love.
Power PC is life.

PowerPC e6500 would let them keep the short pipelines, superior branch prediction and low wattage while adding vastly superior SIMD units. It would also make backwards compatibility possible with a little leg work. I don't think you can count out PowerPC for NX unless it's a portable in which case the list of options shrinks substantially.

Unless you are joking they can lie about it to the press. They cannot lie during a shareholder meeting, but press is a fair game.

Nintendo has a track record of denying and then later reveal the truth later.

Cipherr

It's kind of funny seeing the reactions when whether it used android or not doesn't really tell us anything about what the system would be. You are relieved? Why? Whether it uses Android or not the system could still be one of a million different things.

Exactly. It never meant anything anyway. It doesn't really make sense to be disappointed or relieved.

I hope it runs android. I can't imagine buying another system for the sole purpose of playing Nintendo games.

A Nintendo tablet running Android however, so long as the hardware is nice, I'd be all over it as my next tablet.

Branduil

They could also technically argue that a fork of Android isn't "Android". And yeah, there's zero chance they'd just use an unaltered version of the OS.

Nintendo straight up lies when it comes to keeping surprise announcements and I love them for it.
"There is no DS Lite, never heared of it, go away, you're drunk!" - Next day - "We proudly present the DS Lite, check it out, etc." ... Never forget!

PR in Nintendos regional branches does seem to be frustrating sometimes.

Not saying that NX won't or will use an android based OS, but yeah, such statements need to be treated the same as rumors, 50/50 chance. :)

Read the english version of the editorial in question (link in the other thread--I'm on Wii U now sorry). It paints a somewhat unflattering picture of Iwata, so I would not be surprised if they denied the Android rumor soley due to the context it was brought up in. Check it out. Apparently, Iwata thought of himself as Miyamoto's "translation machine" when he started as president. haha

Oregano

Read the english version of the editorial in question (link in the other thread--I'm on Wii U now sorry). It paints a somewhat unflattering picture of Iwata, so I would not be surprised if they denied the Android rumor soley due to the context it was brought up in. Check it out. Apparently, Iwata thought of himself as Miyamoto's "translation machine" when he started as president. haha

The narrative in the article is "two inept CEOs make a deal to save their skins" but without context the quote about being a translation machine makes me think he's probably hilarious.

Terrell

The narrative in the article is "two inept CEOs make a deal to save their skins" but without context the quote about being a translation machine makes me think he's probably hilarious.

Which is funny, considering that DeNA stock doubled in value after the announcement of their partnership with Nintendo and Nintendo's almost doubled in price as well. I'd hardly call doubling your stock price a move made by "2 inept CEOs". Sounds to me like they both knew what they were doing.

Neoxon

In theory, assuming the NX is the "two consoles, one OS" thing Iwata spoke of, the console's specs are at least slightly above that of the PS4, & it runs on a heavily modified version of Android, how easy would it be to port games from the PS4 or the XB1? I've only worked on basic apps on Android, but not games. Also, could they take advantage of pre-existing apps on Android (Netflix, Facebook, Chrome, etc.) should they want to & can it be modified to fit the needs of the NX.

Top Bottom