• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America files "reapplication" for Eternal Darkness trademark

Eternal Darkness is one of those weird games where I just never really got it.

I played through all the paths to see why people were proclaiming it this transcendent thing, but I mostly just saw a not terribly great video game.

RagnarokX

You know, if you like Eternal Darkness you should give Code Name STEAM a shot. It's not a horror game, but it's got Cthulhu mythos out the wazoo; actual Cthulhu and not imitation Cthulhu.

Neiteio

Eternal Darkness is one of those weird games where I just never really got it.

I played through all the paths to see why people were proclaiming it this transcendent thing, but I mostly just saw a not terribly great video game.
I can totally see how some might not like it. The combat was a bit clunky (although far more fun than the straight-up tank controls of its survival horror contemporaries, IMO). And there was a fair bit of tedium, like backtracking through trap-filled corridors full of pressure plates firing off more traps, while a baby drones on and on in the background, only to be warped by some scorpion into a maze-like parallel dimension that proceeds to waste more of your time...

But I dunno. For me, it's all in the details. The Roivas Estate felt like a real place to me. Something about how it was sunset, casting long slate-like shadows into the house, and the bust upstairs watching you as you walk by, and all the subtle little changes to your surroundings as the game progresses. And seeing how all of the past locales changed over time, like the cathedral in France. One period of time wallpapering over the atrocities of the last, only for some unwitting (and often doomed) soul to peel it back. It was neat to see how everything intertwined.

I don't know how it'd hold up if I revisited it now, but I have a lot of fond memories of Eternal Darkness. :)

Majukun

Wasn't there someone trying to do. a spiritual successor a couple of years ago? probably refined to. avoid that they use the Ed name

The Adder

Banned
You know, if you like Eternal Darkness you should give Code Name STEAM a shot. It's not a horror game, but it's got Cthulhu mythos out the wazoo; actual Cthulhu and not imitation Cthulhu.

But I like imitation Cthulhu, mainly because it
allows Cthulhu to have a passing interest in us in the sense that if there's nothing left to die, then there's no purpose for a death god. Better stop the others.

-Eddman-

Gameplay and combat in ED aged badly but the atmosphere is pretty unique, it almost feels like a survival horror/Zelda hybrid. Voice acting is still amazing.

I would love to see Nintendo doing something with this IP, a sequel, remake, reboot, anything. Sadly, story-driven AAA western games are the antithesis of the company, its consoles or their audience right now :(

Top Bottom