• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America release a George Floyd/BLM statement

Naibel

If people want to debate the issue even further, I would prefer this thread to move to "Politics", like the Sony statement one, that I agree.

It's those moments in our societies when "escapism" becomes a swear-word, I'm afraid. :-/

Paracelsus

There are protesters with legitimate grievances. There are also looters and rioters. They should be treated as two separate things, instead of using one to put down the legitimate concerns of the other.

If it was republicans you'd say they're all the same and call for the army to kill them all.

McCheese

There are protesters with legitimate grievances. There are also looters and rioters. They should be treated as two separate things, instead of using one to put down the legitimate concerns of the other.

This puts me in a difficult position, as I can't possibly disagree with someone cool enough to have a Gally avatar.

Zog

Banned
You can call it what you want but based one my experience, I personally find both SJW and anti-SJW as obnoxious as fuck.

The people rioting and looting are the same as the people who aren't?

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

You sure about this? You know for a fact that there aren’t any people out their airing their legitimate grievances with a brick? You think in all these cities there’s just one group of people sitting around holding hands and another distinct group setting fires and robbing stores, and the first group is all “Gee whiz fuck those guys?”

If it was republicans you'd say they're all the same and call for the army to kill them all.

Rioters are scary, and they've hurt people. They should be aggressively arrested. It's pretty much pure evil. I've followed the damages and murders. That's why all I asked is that people clearly make the distinction between people that are monsters, and completely normal people with legitimate concerns. Seems like a simple ask.

If people on the right have legitimate concerns, I'd listen just the same. Seems like an obvious thing to me that not everyone is the same.

You sure about this? You know for a fact that there aren’t any people out their airing their legitimate grievances with a brick? You think in all these cities there’s just one group of people sitting around holding hands and another distinct group setting fires and robbing stores, and the first group is all “Gee whiz fuck those guys?”

Once you break the law, you should be arrested. Thousands and thousands of people across the country are peacefully protesting and not breaking the law. Rioters are taking advantage of that, and they become rioters when they break the law.

The only possible motivation for not acknowledging this obvious fact is to try and smear the entire thing as baseless. I don't agree with that at all, and feel like tons of people have legitimate concerns, and are not breaking the law.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The people rioting and looting are the same as the people who aren't?
I’m pretty sure the people who are looting just using the chaos to steal things, is always the case when thing like this happens in streets.

This is a good gesture, wish it had been more spontaneous. Too bad batshit crazy consoomers who define their lives by which company they support force this situation to be as robotic as possible.

marianus

giphy.gif

Zog

Banned
I’m pretty sure the people who are looting just using the chaos to steal things, is always the case when thing like this happens in streets.

You are eh? The people walking out of Target with TV's are not part of ANTIFA or BLM and you have evidence of this? The people burning buildings and cars are not part of ANTIFA or BLM?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This is a good gesture, wish it had been more spontaneous. Too bad batshit crazy consoomers who define their lives by which company they support force this situation to be as robotic as possible.
lol i mean you are criticizing them for not being "more spontaneous" whatever the hell that means.

also lol @ "robotic". this is a corporation. not a human being. why do you want a spontaneous, compassionate response from something that isn't a human? seems like an unreasonable demand from a "batshit crazy consoomer"

While all these statements by corporations are ridiculous, Nintendo's is interesting in what was omitted from its text. This likely owes to the company's fairly conservative nature (from a business standpoint, not necessarily socially), but to some degree, it also recognizes a person can be both against racism and still not agree with many of the entities and much of the actions that have occurred over the last few days. In terms of the video game industry, I find myself the least annoyed with Nintendo's decision to join the Twitter-statement bandwagon.

Nintendo didn’t mention BLM nor did they mention the protests (the riots). It’s a fairly neutral statement. This announcement is not as bad as Sony’s.

Strategize

Thank you Nintendo. Without this powerful, inspiring, not at all corporate shlock of a message we'd have never have solved racism.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Artificial Intelligence will dominate all sectors of society if people fail to get along. Anyone not a millionaire, billionaire, or willing to better humanity will be rendered obsolete/not needed. Work together, people or we're all fucked.

Last edited:
lol i mean you are criticizing them for not being "more spontaneous" whatever the hell that means.

also lol @ "robotic". this is a corporation. not a human being. why do you want a spontaneous, compassionate response from something that isn't a human? seems like an unreasonable demand from a "batshit crazy consoomer"

I'm not criticizing them, I'm criticizing the current culture that flat out demand large corporations to join in on the discourse. Feels like your rebuttal is exactly my point: since this is a corporation, it's by nature soulless. And since those soulless entities are forced to give us the most PR friendly messages as to not risk any controversy, we get these husks of words that are really devoid of any meaning.

SuperGooey

You people with the sarcastic and predictable "look, this company thinks they ended racism by posting a statement" posts are so obnoxious. Obviously, these companies aren't claiming or implying that they are ending racism. Can't a company make a statement, however shallow you may feel it is, that they support the black community without you getting so offended and pissy? Fuck off.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You people with the sarcastic and predictable "look, this company thinks they ended racism by posting a statement" posts are so obnoxious. Obviously, these companies aren't claiming or implying that they are ending racism. Can't a company make a statement, however shallow you may feel it is, that they support the black community without you getting so offended and pissy? Fuck off.

The problem is that it's completely disingenuous and done solely to avoid enraging a particularly woke minority that would otherwise shit all over them on social media. What does posting these generic statements accomplish?

Fbh

I worked a couple of years in marketing and advertising and I still struggle to get why people give a shit about this sort of sutff.
I mean don't get me wrong, I know it works.... But still

How is it any better or worse than people that need some giant corporation to release a shallow statement made by some PR manager to not get offended and pissy?

Last edited:
How is throwing money at the problem going to help it? That's aimed at all companies, not just Nintendo. When your whole country was founded on killing non-whites, you're fucked. It's too late for change.

SuperGooey

The problem is that it's completely disingenuous and done solely to avoid enraging a particularly woke minority that would otherwise shit all over them on social media. What does posting these generic statements accomplish?
Nintendo is a scummy company that is very anti-consumer. There is a lot about Nintendo I hate as a company.

But I'm not gonna get upset if they make a statement in support of people after a tragedy.

How is it any better or worse than people that need some giant corporation to release a shallow statement made by some PR manager to not get offended and pissy?
I'm not speaking for people who feel companies owe them a PR statement that is unrelated to their products. That's silly, too. They are a corporation, after all.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

Nintendo is a scummy company that is very anti-consumer. There is a lot about Nintendo I hate as a company.

But I'm not gonna get upset if they make a statement in support of people after a tragedy.

Nobody's really upset about it - it's an observation that it's dumb that companies across the board are pretending like posting these generic form messages will make a difference when they actually couldn't give a shit less.

Danjin44

Nobody's really upset about it - it's an observation that it's dumb that companies across the board are pretending like posting these generic form messages will make a difference when they actually couldn't give a shit less.
But company do these things all the time, I mean this is not the first time a tragedy happened and companies put out a statement related to that tragedy. I’m more surprised these statements getting so much attention lately.

Danny Dudekisser

But company do these things all the time, I mean this is not the first time a tragedy happened and companies put out a statement related to that tragedy. I’m more surprised these statements getting so much attention lately.

Because this isn't 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina or some large-scale incident that affected a lot of people. This is one dude got killed by the cops, and everyone went nuts. It's a reaction to the reaction; not a reaction to the incident.

Danjin44

Because this isn't 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina or some large-scale incident that affected a lot of people. This is one dude got killed by the cops, and everyone went nuts. It's a reaction to the reaction; not a reaction to the incident.
Who-cares-GIF.gif

Honestly who cares? Let company put out generic statements as much as they want, I'm more upset about that entire gaming forum turn in to political forum.

Last edited:

Lethal01

May have been the best response from the gaming community, everyone is critizing SONY right now and delay their products but it's proven consoles have released in tough situations before.
Not really, people are criticizing them but they are getting far more praise.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Took longer than necessary. To make up for it, they should release Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch tomorrow instead of holding it back as a lead up release for the MP4 marketing push.

I guarantee 99% of us saw these virtue-signaling posts by the major corporations, yawned and went about our day. Sorry but I will not allow my mind to be hijacked by this 'virus'.

Zog

Banned
I guarantee 99% of us saw these virtue-signaling posts by the major corporations, yawned and went about our day. Sorry but I will not allow my mind to be hijacked by this 'virus'.

This kind of stuff isn't really any different than Gillette making an ad that was anti-male in an effort to appease those who think males are toxic. As a result they may have a few customers that their ad was targeting but they LOST many of their current customers. That's how it's supposed to work but what if men had just let Gillette off the hook, wouldn't it encourage Gillette to continue to attack their own customers to attract more and more anti-male customers since they have nothing to lose?

In this case they are supporting people who are rioting and looting but if there are no consequences of that support....

Last edited:

sevoro

You are eh? The people walking out of Target with TV's are not part of ANTIFA or BLM and you have evidence of this? The people burning buildings and cars are not part of ANTIFA or BLM?
You seem to have made up your mind that the looters can only be ANTIFA or BLM without any sort of proof just like others have made up their minds that the looters are just taking advantage of the situation. When someone says they are pretty sure, it's not a fact. it's a belief.

Now here's the thing a belief doesn't need "evidence".

All in all, it could potentially have people taking advantage, people who are alt-right, people who are for BLM. Unless you know each one personally or through some NSA material, you and others have no idea.

Personally I'm on the camp that believes the people looting and rioting or doing so because they can, and not because they believe in any cause, and that includes alt-right causes. If you want some evidence there is none except for how jaded my view on humanity is as a whole. Also please stop jumping to conclusions when people say things, that seems to be your modus operandi. Try and understand where people come from.

Top Bottom