• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

It could be much further in development than we thought. Maybe they saw the backlash Ultra Sun and Moon received when announced for the 3DS, and so rushed to get a teaser together for Metroid Prime 4 so the same thing didn't happen with Samus Returns.
Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense.

Wamb0wneD

They didn't, read it again. The only conclusion you can draw from the fact sheet is that the game is not being made by the original team at Retro Studios.

It says "talented new development team." That excludes NLG unless they fused them with some Nintendo staff. In Canada. NLG already developed a Prime game, even if people hated it's guts, that doesn't make it vanish from existence. NLG is not a new development team.

Neoxon

Metroid, Fire Emblem and Pokemon all announced with 3DS games coming this year and Switch games coming 2018. We have no details on any of those Switch games. It's almost like there's a marketing pattern here and that people screaming it won't come in 2018 should probably just wait and see. If you believe Metroid Prime 4 won't hit 2018, do you believe Fire Emblem will? We haven't seen either of those games.

I'm confident Prime 4 is 2018.
At least Fire Emblem was given a 2018 timeframe from the start.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Makes Next Level Games even more likely: by then it's three years since they've finished MPFF.

They said new internal team for Nintendo, but neither was an acquisition of Next Level Games announced by Nintendo, nor does the website of NLG indicate they are Nintendo-owned. I think NLG would be a great fit for Metroid Prime 4, but I don't see how it matches what is announced.
It says "talented new development team." That excludes NLG unless they fused them with some Nintendo staff. In Canada. NLG already developed a Prime game, even if people hated it's guts, that doesn't make it vanish from existence. NLG is not a new developer team.
If Nintendo had bought them, they would be a new internal team.

Akiller

It's not like they have any benefits from lying in this case so why even lie?

I was being sarcastic ofc, but i mean come on both games were basically announced as "now in development(TM)" .

Especially a new Pokémon Gen coming out this soon is high unlikely , a new Poké remake would be more likely instead.

JoeM86

Pokemon was already confirmed for 2018 on the Japanese twitter, wasn't it? It makes a level of sense, especially if they take advantage of the scalability of the SM engine.

Nope, that was people ignoring the last two characters which said "or later"
But you don't have to. We've seen with Monster Hunter XX that Switch and 3DS can communicate and play together, so pokémon could theoretically implement that and be rid of the connectivity problem.

They only communicate online, not locally. That's still a huge part of Pokémon

Shiggy

I agree with you, but I would say H1 rather than Q1. I didn't get the sense Kirby and Yoshi are both coming Q1 (but would be very glad to be wrong).

Yoshi's Woolly World was finished in early 2015, the 3DS port in October 2016. They also had some smaller Streetpass projects in-between, but I could see that launch in February or so.

HAL has the two small 3DS eShop Kirby games, which were finished last year and launched in April or will launch this summer. They also have some multiplayer Kirby fighter which will launch on 3DS later this year, but which we haven't seen. But here it also looks like the team has moved on since Planet Robobot.

Nintendo doesn't have anything else announced for Q1 yet, and I would be surprised if Fire Emblem launched before these games.

It says "talented new development team." That excludes NLG unless they fused them with some Nintendo staff. In Canada. NLG already developed a Prime game, even if people hated it's guts, that doesn't make it vanish from existence. NLG is not a new development team.

It wasn't a mainline Metroid Prime game, so they could still say it's made by a new team; a new team as in not the team which made the original trilogy.

They said new internal team for Nintendo, but neither was an acquisition of Next Level Games announced by Nintendo, nor does the website of NLG indicate they are Nintendo-owned. I think NLG would be a great fit for Metroid Prime 4, but I don't see how it matches what is announced.

There's no indication that it's a new internal team.

DrArchon

Bullshit. They showed off a logo and a guy saying that they were going to work on Pokemon. I can buy Kirby and Yoshi coming out in 2018. Not MP4 and Pokemon Gen 8.

Feel free to change my mind Nintendo.

It could be much further in development than we thought. Maybe they saw the backlash Ultra Sun and Moon received when announced for the 3DS, and so rushed to get a teaser together for Metroid Prime 4 so the same thing didn't happen with Samus Returns.

Or they could've just seen the vitriol unleashed like a bath of acid after the Federation Force announcement, fast-tracked development, but didn't want to show anything so as to not overshadow more lower-key announcements for Kirby and Yoshi.

SeanHollister

Neo Member
Maybe it's the kind of thing that could be interpreted different ways, but while he's definitely saying Metroid is planned for next year, the "a new Pokemon has been announced" sounds like a separate statement to me. I'll be really surprised if they cut Gen 7 off before 2019.

This.

kevin1025

Banned
I'll never understand people's disbelief in something coming out at a certain time. Is it because we haven't seen it? The way it was announced?

I'm not asking out of annoyance, but genuine curiosity. I feel like they announced Metroid and Pokemon out of the need to get the announcements out of the way after the Pokemon Direct backlash and the call for more Prime, more than not existing.

There's still 15-18 months before they ever come out, and that's tons of time. I'm sure they're already in development.

I've been saying that Pokemon Switch is coming out Holiday 2018. They don't need to remake the Pokemon models from scratch, they're future-proofed.

They said "A little more than a year" so obviously not June 2018 but 1.5 years seems very reasonable. November 2018 for Pokemon Switch is my best guess.

Wamb0wneD

I was being sarcastic ofc, but i mean come on both games were basically announced as "now in development(TM)" .

Especially a new Pokémon Gen coming out this soon is high unlikely , a new Poké remake would be more likely instead.

Well yeah its really unlikely to happen but they never mentioned a new genereation did they? Just that it's a new core game. That doesn't exclude a remake.

Bullshit. They showed off a logo and a guy saying that they were going to work on Pokemon. I can buy Kirby and Yoshi coming out in 2018. Not MP4 and Pokemon Gen 8.

Feel free to change my mind Nintendo.
They not show anything about Mario, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem at E3 2016... And here we are...

Dang, 2018 sounds like a pretty bad year for me. It should have been expected since 2017 has been amazing so far. I'll have to hope someone else picks up the slack a bit next year.

Bad in what way? How is having these two games come next year bad in any way?

Of course they are. Only, they'll be getting delayed into late 2019.

I'll eat all the sandwiches if they come out in 2018.

PB&J work for you?

Metroid, Fire Emblem and Pokemon all announced with 3DS games coming this year and Switch games coming 2018. We have no details on any of those Switch games. It's almost like there's a marketing pattern here and people screaming it won't come in 2018 should probably just wait and see. If you believe Metroid Prime 4 won't hit 2018, do you believe Fire Emblem will? We haven't seen either of those games.

I'm confident Prime 4 is 2018.

Yeah, after that thread about what Tanabe was saying in 2015 I started to think MP4 is a lot further along than we think. It seems like Nintendo doesn't want to sabotage their 3DS releases by showing off the Switch releases in the same franchises which makes a hell of a lot of sense.

That could also mean not Retro. New to the Metroid Prime (main) series. I wouldn't really take that as confirmation of much.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If Nintendo had bought them, they would be a new internal team.

As far as I know, they simply said it was a new development team. That just means "not Retro". It could be NLG in conjunction with a group from EPD. We don't know.

Hattori

Banned
I believe it, Yoshi and Kirby will not be the system sellers of 2018. More than a year lines up to a November launch for Pokémon. Metroid could slip but it can be a December title.

Did people really think that Nintendo only have Yoshi and Kirby for 2018?

No? Fire Emblem makes sense because it'll be 3 years after Fates, which was same amount of time between Awakening and Fates. Retro's game has to appear soon. And by next year, it'll have been 2 years since that New Leaf update so I would say a new Animal Crossing is likely. A Smash Deluxe port could also happen.

Fireblend

Banned
I can kiiiiind of believe it with Pokemon if they're just cleaning up some assets and recycling them heavily from Pokemon SuMo, but that'd be disappointing if that's what they're doing honestly. I want a true step forward and that should take GF more time.

With Metroid maybe they have the old games' engine running already and are well beyond the concept stage for the game? It'd also be somewhat disappointed if they're doing just "another one" or working off the others' foundations, but I doubt that from Nintendo and I doubt they'd work off of Retro's engine. So yeah doubtful.

Still, I can't see either being released before October at the earliest if they're really, really rushing to push them out the doors.

Brickhunt

I'll only say this: I've been waiting 10 goddamn years for a good Metroid, I have no problem waiting a bit more knowing that it is at least coming. I just want it to be very good.

border

Do you all actually believe that GameFreak is capable of creating a HD-quality Pokemon in less than 2 years? There's like 500 Pokemon all with outdated models that will have to be re-done from the ground up.

Kirby and Yoshi I can see as 2018 games.

Metroid Prime 4? No, I don't think so. If all they can show off now is a logo then I don't think it's that far along.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I mean, I feel like there's three possibilities.

1. Yoshi and Kirby are the only first party titles they'll release on the Switch next year.

2. They announced MP4 and Pokemon this year instead of the hypothetical games that are further along in development that are actually going to release next year for some reason.

3. This is true.

3 is the only one that makes sense to me. The end of 2018 is practically 1.5 years away ffs. It's not at all rare for games to get a shorter reveal to release turnaround than 18 damn months.

Shit, outside of BotW, 18 months between announcement and release seems like a damn eternity for Nintendo's stuff.

Pokemon Red/Blue for Nintendo Switch

Fully 3D

Id be so in

Me and all my nostalgia whore "gen-wunner" late 20s friends would flip our collective shit if it was a modern R/B remake. I can only catch so many, God Dammit.

XandBosch

Wouldn't be surprised if this was just a slip-up. Maybe right now they're aiming for 2018, but I can easily see it being 2019 or even 2020 depending on the scope of the game.

I could actually see Animal Crossing coming out first, especially since they already had all of those HD assets built for both the Amiibo Festival game and that random lobby thing on Wii U.

I mean, I feel like there's three possibilities.

1. Yoshi and Kirby are the only first party titles they'll release on the Switch next year.

2. They announced MP4 and Pokemon this year instead of the hypothetical games that are further along in development that are actually going to release next year for some reason.

3. This is true.

3 is the only one that makes sense to me. The end of 2018 is practically 1.5 years away ffs. It's not at all rare for games to get a shorter reveal to release turnaround than 18 damn months.

Shit, outside of BotW, 18 months between announcement and release seems like a damn eternity for Nintendo's stuff.

Actually a solid point.

JoeM86

Do you all actually believe that GameFreak is capable of creating a HD-quality Pokemon in less than 2 years? There's like 500 Pokemon all with outdated models that will have to be re-done from the ground up.

Kirby and Yoshi I can see as 2018 games.

Metroid Prime 4? No, I don't think so. If all they can show off now is a logo then I don't think it's that far along.

The Pokémon models aren't outdated. They're too complex which is why the games struggle to run on the 3DS

LordofPwn

the direct said no pokemon for at least a year so Nov. 2018 would make sense.

Metroid would be awesome next year but we know nothing about how long it's been in development and it's a new studio working on it. could see early 2019.

Top Bottom