• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially endorses derivative works, reveals endorsement scheme in Japan

udivision

and? It's exactly true. They've done what some fans wanted from Brawl and Sakurai didn't want to do

I prefer "a female designer on her death bed brought us this ZSS alt. A fraction of the charactes now have alts!" as opposed to "it's Tuesday. Here are alts for every character ever made, even those not int he game. Enjoy."

heh

Anyway, I'm curious what these means for fan games, if anything. It's not like (m)any Nintendo fan games even get C&D anyway, despite how many people seem to mention that. There's even a Nintendo Fan Game convention (digital) every year.

Nah, that doesn't matter either. Otherwise the entire romhacking scene would be in the shitter.

Project M could add the great mighty poo into the game and Nintendo still would turn a blind eye to it.

Legally they're probably fine, but the second they start making Project M a competitor to the main series by creating their own characters, Nintendo will step in.

I'm not saying they're right to or that the modders will lose the case, but Nintendo will get aggressive about it. Probably through encouraging tournament runners to drop the game or by looking real carefully at any work borrowed from the main game.

Rich!

Legally they're probably fine, but the second they start making Project M a competitor to the main series by creating their own characters, Nintendo will step in.

No they wont.

They have never done that. Ever. I've been following the romhacking scene (acmlm/romhacking.net/jul/smwcentral) since 1997 and Nintendo have never once interfered with any hack, even with hacks of current gen pokemon titles - even ones that were heavily marketed online and spawned thousands of pirated carts of the hacks. There is absolutely no precedent to what you are saying. None.

Show me proof of your point and fine, I concede. Until then, no. I fully disagree.

No they wont.

They have never done that. Ever. I've been following the romhacking scene (acmlm/romhacking.net/jul/smwcentral) since 1997 and Nintendo have never once interfered with any hack, even with hacks of current gen pokemon titles - even ones that were heavily marketed and spawned thousands of pirated carts of the hacks.

Show me proof of your point and fine, I concede. Until then, no. I fully disagree.

I don't particularly care if you concede or not, actually. I'm not sure why you think I do.

They're in the process of adding new characters, so I suppose we'll see how this all shakes out.

Rich!

I suppose we'll see how this all shakes out.

What will happen is nothing. Nintendo will turn a blind eye, and pretend it doesn't exist. Anything else will create a streisand effect.

Right now, Project M is for a very, very, very small minority of hardcore fans. It's absurdly niche, and they have no reason to care.

Jackano

I'm not sure what it means.
I've also started to dig into japanese fan arts months ago (not as easy as lurking deviant-art actually); and there is some very cool things to see at least.
But it looks more than a NicoNico good deal.

Holy shit.

What's NOA's take on this?

I work at a printer, and we turn away a ton of Nintendo fan art because of the sticky ambiguity of IP protection. If NOA is on board with this, it is kind of tremendous.

Somnid

Curious to how far this extends, like to games or ROM hacks. It seems like not much has changed, just that they have given explicit consent to types of works that have existed for a long time. I think that's still pretty cool for such a large and popular IP company but it's not like it was heavily policed anyway.

Vlade

Very impressive!

As far as i ever saw, the relationship with cover music was always "please don't tell us you exist, we don't want to have a stance!" I hope this means the general relationship feel will be a lot fuzzier now

edit:

Holy shit.

What's NOA's take on this?

I work at a printer, and we turn away a ton of Nintendo fan art because of the sticky ambiguity of IP protection. If NOA is on board with this, it is kind of tremendous.

hopes are getting high!

Another fruit from the Dwango shares purchase surely.

Nintendo does seem to focus A LOT on their Nicovideo division, hardly as much on their gaming divisions like Spike Chunsoft (outside of the surprise that they were behind Fossil Fighters Frontier and Kenka Bancho 6 is 3DS exclusive, but the latter might've just been by pure choice on SC's end).

ec0ec0

Iwata announces that Nintendo now officially gives it's permission for anyone to use their properties for derivative works, even showcasing videos of famous Let's Plays, music covers, fanarts.

!?

MEGATON!! for a lot of people wow

edit: i cant believe what i am reading :p

Syril

But I was told in every single thread about fangames ever that fangames have no value because if anyone is skilled enough at development to make a game then making one based on an existing property is disgusting and offensive to the property holder and how it's pointless anyway because it'll get C&Ded and in fact they have to C&D everything because if they don't protect their property they'll lose it.

Seriously though that's really cool. There are so many awesome fanworks of Nintendo things.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I'd like to see more details about this. The article in the OP makes it sound like this is mostly focused on online videos of games, and doesn't really seem to focus on much of any other types of derivative works. I know they showed some fan art and some other stuff in a 'reel,' but I don't see much discussion of it.

A "derivative work" is a really broad concept.

Until there's more info I wouldn't get my hopes up about releasing a fan game featuring official Nintendo characters, especially if expecting to sell.

xk0sm0sx

I'd like to see more details about this. The article in the OP makes it sound like this is mostly focused on online videos of games, and doesn't really seem to focus on much of any other types of derivative works. I know they showed some fan art and some other stuff in a 'reel,' but I don't see much discussion of it.

A "derivative work" is a really broad concept.

Until there's more info I wouldn't get my hopes up about releasing a fan game featuring official Nintendo characters, especially if expecting to sell.

Indeed, now I'm reading more and it implies that "Nintendo acknowledges derivative works on Nicovideo". You can google around based on the keywords in the article I linked, as there are a few other sites with the news, but all of them mentioned explicitly in relation to Nicovideo.
There is nothing written officially by Nintendo as well.

I would link the stream archive but you need a paid account to view it so it's kind of pointless.

I'm sorry what I written here is not entirely accurate, and it doesn't help that there are currently no publicly available links to the stream at all, nor of the Iwata presentation video.

Here's a yahoo news article about it, again mentioning it's only with regards to Nicovideo
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20141117-00000083-zdn_n-sci

Crayolan

Okay Nintendo, start paying this guy.
And then put him on the pokemon sound team.

So this means, for example, I can sell my Pokemon fan game legally?

No, you can make your fan game legally. You technically always could do that, as Nintendo rarely does C&D's, but now you have their support to do it.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Agreed (with xk0sm0sx post a few posts up), this sounds like this is all only applicable to the Nicovideo stuff.

Which is dandy and all, but it's important that we don't all extrapolate this to mean Nintendo is just giving a free license to anyone to make and release any derivative work.

What about that fan art and music cover they showed in the reel?-- Nintendo has talked about and shown fan art / music cover art and stuff before when talking about the limitations they have on fan art, and how they want to encourage it but how they also have to draw a line. Probably they threw these into the reel to briefly mention how they are OK with typical fan art like those.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Okay Nintendo, start paying this guy.
And then put him on the pokemon sound team.

No, you can make your fan game legally. You technically always could do that, as Nintendo rarely does C&D's, but now you have their support to do it.

I don't think we have enough information to take it that far. I don't think Ninty will shut down a fan game per se, but I seriously doubt that this news is any confirmation by any stretch that they are officially allowing permission to any derivative work, let alone officially supporting any derivative work.

I just want people to be cautious until there's more clarity here.

xk0sm0sx

Here's another article on it: http://kai-you.net/article/10531

安心して二次創作を発表できる環境を用意する
ゲーム実況動画に限らず、ゲーム音楽の弾いてみた・歌ってみた等も含め、動画クリエイターが安心して二次創作に取り組める環境を構築していくとのこと。

One can create and post his derivative work without worries.
Not just limited to Let's Plays, but game music covers, song covers as well.

There are definitely rules to it. The endorsement program for Nintendo's titles will be activated on 1st December, so maybe more details will be clarified then.

OnPoint

Wow, talk about a 1080. I'd love for this amazing derivative work to be a Wii U game...

1080snowboardingbox.jpg

Sequel or re-release confirmed??

During an event from Dwango for announcing a new gaming event which I covered here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934426

Nintendo is revealed to be a special sponsor and Iwata appears through a video.
Iwata announces that Nintendo now officially gives it's permission for anyone to use their properties for derivative works, even showcasing videos of famous Let's Plays, music covers, fanarts.

Iwata also announced a "Creative Endorsement Program" where Nintendo will reward money to creators with well-received work.

Oh man! Now is my chance!
http://vimeo.com/24506373
I did this before Nintendo Land as a game was created, for an animation project in university

This program is only applicable to Nicovideo.jp, which is under Dwango.

Oh...

okay_guy.jpg

During an event from Dwango for announcing a new gaming event which I covered here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934426

New OP, Please read carefully as not everything are allowed, and this only applies for Japan.
Not everything has been clarified yet.

Nintendo announced on a stream that videos featuring their games properties uploaded to Nicovideo.jp is allowed. So far, they have acknowledged it for Let's Plays, Game Music Covers, and Fan Art. Nothing else.
Under a Creative Endorsement Program from Nicovideo (Dwango), which rewards video creators for making high-ranking videos, Nintendo will allow videos using Nintendo properties to receive such prizes.
There is a list of titles which they have not revealed for which the Creative Endorsement Program can be applied to, so it only applies under these titles. The program will be activated on 1st December, so expect more details later on.

Source: http://nviewer.mobi/player?video_id=sm24939536 Skip to 7:26.
Here's an article from a news site about it: http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20141117079/

Questions linger:
Does this policy only apply in Nicovideo JP and not Youtube? How about the International version of Nicovideo?

Are LP's, Fanart, Music and Song covers only allowed? How about other works?

Is the same stance acknowledged by NOA?

Looks like the OP was updated with some dramatically different information. This isn't quite the bombshell everyone thought it was

Top Bottom