• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PlayStation...so, apparently someone has one.

Seriously, this guy is literally sitting on a goldmine.

He needs to contact professionals (from a museum, etc) that would actually have experts that know engineering and things that can come in, look the thing over, see what can be fixed to make it work (without breaking it) all while it's documented for everyone to see and enjoy.

Then have someone that can rip it and the carts/cds so people can dig into it and salvage from it and keep it going, like with Mame and arcade cabinets.

After all of that is said and done then he can decide to sell it off to someone or let a museum have it.

I don't get why a Museum or someone hasn't contacted him yet? This is like one of the holy grails of gaming technology.

I really hope something like this happens. It's too rare of an item to just let anyone mess around with. Not to mention documenting it for everyone to enjoy would be amazing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Really? I think If that's the real deal, then it's the greatest treasure in the history of gaming. I think that dude is set for life unless he fucks it up.

I really hope something like this happens. It's too rare of an item to just let anyone mess around with. Not to mention documenting it for everyone to enjoy would be amazing.

If it is in working condition, or can be made to be working condition, he is definitely sitting on a gold mine. Between a documentary, and the item itself, if it is the only working one in the world, then this is a million dollar item to collectors.

Anth0ny

this shit absolutely belongs in a museum. unreal.

hopefully this can get into the hands of an expert, make sure it's taken care of properly.

$$$$$$$$

That's crazy if it's the real thing ,I'd engrave my name on it if I were him ;)

History will remember that :p

OLAF the God from fifteen , the old nick high school drama

Sakujou

Banned
I think it really depends on whether it boots up. If it does, I see it getting more than 20 grand easily.
dude, this will clearly fetch more than 500k at least.

this is the holy grail of gaming. we didnt even know that they were manufactured until now.

if it works or not, THIS is the holy grail of gaming. nothing comes close.

fuck kizuna with 20k, family stadium and the nwc cart for 100k.

it wont fetch the price of that apple 2 though :(

He said his dad's name was Olaf. There was an Olaf that worked for Sony and was a part of the lead design process of these prototypes. I think that is all we have for now.

No his dad worked with a guy named Olaf

this is the holy grail of gaming. we didnt even know that they were manufactured until now.

that's some serious cash to throw down.

I think the raw monetary value of such a thing is quite low (in relative terms), but I think its importance cannot be stated enough.

This was a massive bridge point in where the game industry of the mid-90s was heading.

If that thing boots up and the game is playable, then it's going to be an absolutely spectacular moment.

AmyS

Assuming it is indeed real, Sony should pay for it, have it tested, documented and included in the Sony Pictures film 'Console Wars', assuming that's still a thing. Nintendo might get angry, file a lawsuit, but Sony would say, "payback's a bitch" lol.

Anth0ny

This thing definitely seems more valuable than a NWC cart. Pretty sure gold NWCs have gone for well over $20k.

This thing is the ultimate video game holy grail. And if that cartridge has something of value on it? Jeeeeeeez.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
He said his dad's name was Olaf. There was an Olaf that worked for Sony and was a part of the lead design process of these prototypes. I think that is all we have for now.

Someone with the know how needs to get in contact with this guy. Document everything and then make crazy bank on it.

read the interview in OP.

ahh it must have been updated, originally it didn't have the info.

thanks.

that's legit, would love to see one of these in person.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Assuming it is indeed real, Sony should pay for it, have it tested, documented and included in the Sony Pictures film 'Console Wars', assuming that's still a thing. Nintendo might get angry, file a lawsuit, but Sony would say, "payback's a bitch" lol.

This would be the single greatest gem for that film (unless Sony still has a working one or two themselves). I am sure they have all their working prototypes and first off the assembly lines in a vault.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I'm sure Sony has plenty of these, along with some other crazy stuff.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm certain Sony has a Prototype or two hidden somewhere.

This isn't the only one, the CD is probably a helicopter game.

Won't say anymore, other than the game was close to being finished unfortunately. The second game of that year that didn't get published due to license issues, first one just had wheels (well a wheel).

(any ex argonaut staffers on the forums?)

Comanche?

AmyS

True guys, Sony probably has a bunch of 'em left, but they could pretend that they don't to make things seem more 'important' and dramatic, just to get under Nintendo's skin even more, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
True guys, Sony probably has a bunch of 'em left, but they could pretend that they don't to make things seem more 'important' and dramatic, just to get under Nintendo's skin even more, lol.

I see where you are going with this. Kinda like the ET BS documentary.

Sakujou

Banned
I'm certain Sony has a Prototype or two hidden somewhere.
i think so too.

but you know, this was all stuff going behind the scenes. iam not sure if sony is amused that this has come up.

what makes me wondering:

has no journalist so far asked a nintendo/sony rep for the nintendo playstation?

someone from that time definitely must be still alive and willing to talk about this.
and there must be games/demos existing somewhere on a hard drive.
or prototypes.

Dude should make a vid of him taking a sledgehammer to it. The reaction would be priceless.

since he showed his face, i would track him down. for eternity.
and this is not funny. :(
omfg, iam so gushing over this.

Anth0ny

Why do these things always seem to firstly end up in the hands of people with no fucking clue of their importance?

Fucks sake kid. Send it to Byuu. Now.

The way he talks about it and handles it in the video is pissing me off. It's the goddamn gaming holy grail and its in the hands of some kid who is gonna shove it in his rucksack and take it to a hobbyist gaming shop where it will be likely blown up.

yes. yes. yes. for the good of the community.

though I doubt he'd be able to outbid some of these Nintendo collectors, even with the help of the community. our only hope is a collector buys it and appreciates the community enough to let someone like Byuu do his thing with it.

I get the feeling Steven Lin will be the one to get his hands on it. Looking at his twitter, he's already on top of these recent developments.

It feels like I'm staring at a piece of alternate history. I didn't think a completed prototype would exist. Seeing Playstation all over that SNES controller blew my mind, and it makes my brain ache the potential Nintendo threw away.

Discomurf

*Boots up*

*Nintendo and Sony logos and copyrights appear*

*Animated Mario face appears and (in voice) says "please insert Playstation Superdisc"*

mario-face-melting-o.gif

whipihguh

Banned
i think so too.

but you know, this was all stuff going behind the scenes. iam not sure if sony is amused that this has come up.

what makes me wondering:

has no journalist so far asked a nintendo/sony rep for the nintendo playstation?

someone from that time definitely must be still alive and willing to talk about this.
and there must be games/demos existing somewhere on a hard drive.
or prototypes.

omfg, iam so gushing over this.

Someone way back in 2007 on ASSEMbler said he used to work at Sony Imagesoft, and that they were working on a SNES-CD exclusive called Forteza, which, according to him:
It was FMV backgrounds with an overlaid sprite based graphics. Think along the lines of 'Silpheed' for the Sega CD but with FMV real looking space graphics for the background. A video tape still exists of this game as well as a playable version. I am trying to get the tape from my former boss who has it, buried somewhere, but we'll find it and post it eventually.

He also said this:
As for the picture of the 'completed' Sony PlayStation (SNES) above, yes, 200 were made, and one (before I really knew about it, argh!) was sitting in our former presidents office in New York. That would be Olaf Olafsson, who is now at Time Warner. Anyway, I'm still trying to track this and other units down, but don't hold out much hope.

So a few on ASSEMbler are thinking that may be what's on the disk, and so far it's the most likely scenario if it is a demo game of some sort.

Damn, this is exciting. I've always wanted one of these to be found, and now it fianlly has, with a possible game to boot. Hopefully it can still work.

Just look at how much attention this is getting, not just from collector circles, but from all over the internet.

If there are people who will pay $35,000 for a copy of Stadium Events, a dull game that actually made it to market (albeit barely), I'd imagine the interest in demand for a legitimate, massively important piece of lost gaming history between Nintendo and Sony could be worth well more a Bandai game.

Chibot

I want this. It really is the grail of gaming. Too bad I haven't made my millions yet.

Maybe there are more out there just waiting to be found.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I can't believe this is real, that a prototype actually exists.

Here's the tech document for SNES CD Addon (not this standalone unit). Hopefully the thing this guy has doesn't require that custom ac adapter.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4cc2TZRufDtWERQV2FHZFhFaU1odEdTbWlTTHB1REJRNXdr/preview
This is incredibly interesting, I never knew that the XA format was created for the SNESCD (although it makes sense, given that the PSX made extensive use of it).
Also that the CDs were to come in cases with memory built-in for saves is pretty neat.
And if I'm reading that diagram correctly, the new custom processor and all that were on the cart and not on the add-on... and given that the old images of the prototype it had a cart of sorts, I assume that the cart the guy is basically that.

This isn't the only one, the CD is probably a helicopter game.

Won't say anymore, other than the game was close to being finished unfortunately. The second game of that year that didn't get published due to license issues, first one just had wheels (well a wheel).

(any ex argonaut staffers on the forums?)
But can you say a bit more about the prototype? :)

Why do these things always seem to firstly end up in the hands of people with no fucking clue of their importance?

Fucks sake kid. Send it to Byuu. Now.

The way he talks about it and handles it in the video is pissing me off. It's the goddamn gaming holy grail and its in the hands of some kid who is gonna shove it in his rucksack and take it to a hobbyist gaming shop where it will be likely blown up.
Hah, seriously this.

MightyKAC

If only this happened..

Nintendo Handled the games.. Sony created the Hardware.

Would xbox even been able to penetrate the market with that jauggernaut

Naw, I'm happy to live in a universe where Sony is it's own gaming entity and not beholden to Nintendo's archaic philosophy in regards to gaming and technology or their out of touch leadership.

I don't even care about it's value.I just want to know everything about it. What do the internals look like? does it work? What's on the disc?

So many potentially amazing things to be discovered from just this one piece of prototype hardware. I feel like i'm in middle school again reading EGM.

whipihguh

Banned
Just look at how much attention this is getting, not just from collector circles, but from all over the internet.

If there are people who will pay $35,000 for a copy of Stadium Events, a dull game that actually made it to market (albeit barely), I'd imagine the interest in demand for a legitimate, massively important piece of lost gaming history between Nintendo and Sony could be worth well more a Bandai game.

Real talk, this thing could make him and his dad millionaires depending on who they sold it too and if it actually works. Those calling it gaming's holy grail aren't kidding, the only things I could think of that could possibly come close are Super Mario FX, Ura Zelda and Mario 64-2 prototypes, and that's pushing it.

Sakujou

Banned
Someone way back in 2007 on ASSEMbler said he used to work at Sony Imagesoft, and that they were working on a SNES-CD exclusive called Forteza, which, according to him:

He also said this:

So a few on ASSEMbler are thinking that may be what's on the disk, and so far it's the most likely scenario if it is a demo game of some sort.

Damn, this is exciting. I've always wanted one of these to be found, and now it fianlly has, with a possible game to boot. Hopefully it can still work.

yeah i read about this, but he never answered, right?

i wonder if the kid has more prototypes of the nintendo playstation in his attic (which he couldnt decipher). i suppose most of them dont work, but this one looks like a solid one.
i really want to know whats on the cartridge and whats on the disc.

this is the biggest find ever.

ff7 remake can lick my ass(i never asked for it)
shenmue 3 was a huge thing for me
but the nintendo playstation made my YEAR.

holy shit, i still cant believe this.

Tansut

It feels like I'm staring at a piece of alternate history. I didn't think a completed prototype would exist. Seeing Playstation all over that SNES controller blew my mind, and it makes my brain ache the potential Nintendo threw away.
It would be so radically different. There's no real way of knowing how fruitful that partnership would've been. Hell, Sega may have ultimately benefited the most from it, potentially anyway.

yeah i read about this, but he never answered, right?

i wonder if the kid has more prototypes of the nintendo playstation in his attic (which he couldnt decipher). i suppose most of them dont work, but this one looks like a solid one.
i really want to know whats on the cartridge and whats on the disc.

this is the biggest find ever.

ff7 remake can lick my ass(i never asked for it)
shenmue 3 was a huge thing for me
but the nintendo playstation made my YEAR.

holy shit, i still cant believe this.

I'm right there with you.

Dude should make a vid of him taking a sledgehammer to it. The reaction would be priceless.

HAHAHA, he could make a couple thousand views on youtube easily if he did that but if the thing works then may as well just sell it instead of destroying it. But I would watch a video like that.

Borman

I highly doubt it gets anywhere near there. There have been other unreleased consoles selling for 2000-3000. So while this could easily go for 5+, 500k is silly business.

I have offered to go down to Phili if I have to, not a big deal really. A couple hour drive, could stay at a friends. Im as in the know as anyone nowadays.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It goes on the top? What was that thing on the bottom of the system for then? I thought it would plug into that

No, this is an entire system that Sony designed for themselves per the contract.

It accepts SNES cartridges on the top, and a disc insert drive for CD-Roms carts.

I highly doubt it gets anywhere near there. There have been other unreleased consoles selling for 2000-3000. So while this could easily go for 5+, 500k is silly business.

I have offered to go down to Phili if I have to, not a big deal really. A couple hour drive, could stay at a friends. Im as in the know as anyone nowadays.

Um, this is the holy grail of unreleased consoles. Nothing else compares.

But you remember what I'm talking about right?
The rumor when I was a kid was the 'super nes cd plugs into that "

That is a separate one they were also making for Nintendo. But never seen a physical one, only mock ups.

Top Bottom