• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo posts $160M net income, cuts 3DS/Wii U/NDS/Wii forecasts

Animal Crossing is coming this spring if I didn't miss anything. I also don't think they'd put so much hope in Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem, both games will likely be sub-200K in the US.

Luigi's Mansion has a chance to do ok but Fire Emblem, no way.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon will be enough though to make up for those other games.

Animal Crossing is coming this spring if I didn't miss anything. I also don't think they'd put so much hope in Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem, both games will likely be sub-200K in the US.
I dunno wtf happened internally, but both games (and Brain Age 3) should've been Q4 2012 in the west. They'd have all performed a lot better and probably helped push hardware higher. Leaving everything on Paper Mario's shoulders was a colossal mistake imo.

PhantomR

Banned

Nope, you're not. I'm going on the assumption that NOA will push it back. I could be wrong, of course. But I think that they'll need another big system driver this fall to accompany Pokemon. There is E3 of course, but still.

Despite how costly it would have been, Nintendo should have grabbed a commercial slot for the Super Bowl. Something with football on Nintendo TVii, then switch to normal televison for their teenager to play BLOPS2 on the gamepad while they continue watching the game on the television. Game ends, and he switches back over to the WiiU with a pro-controller to play BLOPS 2 with their kid.

Cue catchy saying about everyone in the game or w/e.

Profit.

Sounded better in my head, but why release something you're taking a bit of a risk with, not to mention competition knocking down the door at any time, if you're not going to aggressively market it?

Hiltz

If it comes with a hard drive (Which I think it will), that's already an added cost. The PS4 won't be as cheap as you think, it has to be able to stand toe to toe with the Xbox for them to try and make an impact. Anything under $400 is gonna be a huge stretch, and Sony can't afford to take PS3 style losses at launch this time around.

It's the best selling home system MH, I dunno how they can be disappointed with that, especially considering it's a portable franchise (And they know that). But then, Capcom can have INSANE sales expectations sometimes.

I guess Capcom just expected more from it. We do know it put in a strong marketing campaign, but it's become clear most Japanese gamers prefer MH on the handheld. It's obviously hard to say how well MH Tri could have done on a non-Nintendo home console, but like Entertain's President said, Capcom had some big hurdles to deal with by putting MH Tri on it. The console may have had a big install base, but it didn't have a strong reputation for appealing to the hardcore gamer. According to the game's producer, they intended to want to reach out to a broader audience by putting it on the Wii, but it still wasn't enough to make it sell more strongly.

PhantomR

Banned
I dunno wtf happened internally, but both games (and Brain Age 3) should've been Q4 2012 in the west. They'd have all performed a lot better and probably helped push hardware higher. Leaving everything on Paper Mario's shoulders was a colossal mistake imo.

Well....hold up man. NO WAY way was Animal Crossing coming out in NA in 2012. No way. Localizing those games is not a walk in the park. That takes considerable time and effort. 2013? Sure. Not 2012...they simply weren't ready.

miksar

Nope, you're not. I'm going on the assumption that NOA will push it back. I could be wrong, of course. But I think that they'll need another big system driver this fall to accompany Pokemon. There is E3 of course, but still.
They'll most likely show an all-new portable Zelda and some other big game at E3. Pushing back Animal Crossing even further will do more harm than good.

Well....hold up man. NO WAY way was Animal Crossing coming out in NA in 2012. No way. Localizing those games is not a walk in the park. That takes considerable time and effort. 2013? Sure. Not 2012...they simply weren't ready.
I was talking about Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. The former doesn't need a year long localization and the latter was evidently done on time for last year.

AzaK

"Owing to the fact that the Wii U hardware sales have a negative impact on Nintendo's profits, the operating loss was 5.8 billion yen," Nintendo said. "As a result of exchange gains totaling 22.2 billion yen due to the depreciation of the yen at the end of calendar year 2012, however, ordinary income was 22.7 billion yen and net income was 14.5 billion yen."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-30-nintendo-cuts-wii-u-sales-forecast-by-1-5-million-says-console-having-a-negative-impact-on-profits
What makes me wonder about the sincerity of Reggie's statement about being profitable after one game sale is that they sold way more software than Wii U's but the filed an operations loss they claim was due to Wii U being sold at a loss. Can someone explain please?

Hiltz

What makes me wonder about the sincerity of Reggie's statement about being profitable after one game sale is that they sold way more software than Wii U's but the filed an operations loss they claim was due to Wii U being sold at a loss. Can someone explain please?

I turned out Reggie was misquoted. Reggie meant to say Nintendo had to sell more than one game to be profitable while selling Wii U at a loss. However, no exact number was given. Iwata did say prior to Wii U's launch, that he hoped the console would produce some evergreen titles, which would have obviously helped Nintendo out.

Juken

Reggie was apparently incorrect about that. Nintendo clarified that it is more than one game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_22013695

Second correction at the top of the article.

thanks. i thought it looked abnormally low, but i guess my source was just posting north american numbers for some reason.

it was at 11.6m after its first seven quarters.
First 2 years:

Xbox 360
Q1: 1.5m (supply constrained in US/UK/+)
Q2: 1.7m (partial constraints continue)
Q3: 1.8m
Q4: 1m
Q5: 4.4m (channel stuffing, "first to 10m wins")
Q6: 0.5m
Q7: 0.7m
Q8: 1.8m

PlayStation 3
Q1: 1.7m (NA+JP launch)
Q2: 1.8m (EU launch)
Q3: 0.7m
Q4: 1.3m
Q5: 4.9m
Q6: 2.2m
Q7: 1.6m
Q8: 2.4m

Wii U
Q1: 3.06m
Q2: 0.94m (projected)

the games themselves also cost money to make and would have to sell a certain amount before they start to make profit

Road

The game came out on April 20, 2010 in the US. It failed to make it on to the top 10 NPD chart, coming in at #11 with 110,879 copies sold during its first week. To compare, the game sold 73,099 copies in Europe during its first week.

I wanna see the receipts.

What the fuck is zombie u? A ham sandwich?

Oh that reminds me. People. Buy Zombi-U!

ZombiU may be very good for what it is, but it's a slow-paced permadeath survival horror game made on a fraction of the budget of a game like ACIII. It's not AAA by any means, though I wonder if Nintendo may have convinced itself otherwise.

Miles X

First 2 years:

Xbox 360
Q1: 1.5m (supply constrained in US/UK/+)
Q2: 0.5m (partial constraints continue)
Q4: 1.4m
Q5: 4.3m (channel stuffing, "first to 10m wins")
Q6: 1.5m
Q7: 1.3m
Q8: 2.2m

PlayStation 3
Q1: 1.7m (NA+JP launch)
Q2: 1.8m (EU launch)
Q4: 1.3m
Q5: 4.9m
Q6: 2.2m
Q7: 1.6m
Q8: 2.4m

Wii U
Q1: 3.06m
Q2: 0.94m (projected)

Where on earth are you getting X360 figures from? They're so wrong.

Fixed them for you.

Also they did 1.8m in the US the Q they 'channel stuffed 4.4m'

jcm

Well, I'm sorry but I don't believe you. I just can't reconcile your forum behavior with what you're saying here.

If you're going to accuse me of lying, or of arguing in bad faith, then I'm not interested in trying to have a discussion with you.

Got proof?

Andrew House's comments about Sony's intent for "the Vita business" to be profitable from day one do seem to support that conclusion. Not to mention that Sony pulled the 4GB cards from the Madden and ACIII:L bundles in what was blatantly a cash grab (though it was added back to the ACIII bundle, presumably in response to backlash).

Skyward Sword doesn't use waggle.

It wouldn't have worked as a WiiU launch title, unless it was packed in with motion plus or the console itself was packed in with motion plus.

People love to criticise Nintendo throwing randoms "they should have...", truth is Nintendo had a pretty solid lineup, Nintendo Land, Mario, third party exclusive and ports, it didn't work they way they intended but I don't see how you could improve that launch lineup.

You've played Skyward Sword right?

It's a hidden (and arguably mandatory) cost in Vita, there's no doubt it was factored into the hardware profitability roadmap. These things ALWAYS are. If Sony had gone with standard memory, it undoubtedly would've raised the unit's base price to account for that.

The 3DS/Vita example is terrible anyway since one was profitable at price parity, while both Wii U and Orbis would be eating a loss at $300.

Well then can you give a reason why ps4 can't launch at $350, based on its technological makeup?

Yes, I know they were, but making sure they match up to the Xbox at under $400 would most likely mean they take a pretty big loss. And, they can't really afford to go with a big loss leader strategy (But they still will if needed).

What makes you think the new Xbox will be any more expensive?

Andrew House's comments about Sony's intent for "the Vita business" to be profitable from day one do seem to support that conclusion. Not to mention that Sony pulled the 4GB cards from the Madden and ACIII:L bundles in what was blatantly a cash grab (though it was added back to the ACIII bundle, presumably in response to backlash).

The only things known about Vita is that its retail price is about the same as its manufacturing costs and that Sony thinks (thought?) it would take a few years for the business to turn a profit.

Cheebo

Banned
Sure. Except for 20 millions of people in less than two years, no one wants a 3DS outside Japan.

lol

Except you realize 3DS has not meet Nintendo's own conservative sales estimates right? Cutting their projected 3DS sales is a major element in the recent stock hit.

Here's how I choose to look at things:

Nintendo is making money again!!

I love nintendo games. Adore them. They got me hooked, man. They have my number.

I've loved their games since the NES, through their weaker performing consoles, and I'm sure I'll continue to love their games for years to come.

That they're on the right track to stick around is what I'm happiest to hear. Do I really care about whether they "win" or "lose" the console war? Yes and no but mostly no. It doesn't really matter. I've always been a nintendo + PC gamer and that's always served me extremely well. So while it sucks that they've cut their Wii U forecast, it doesn't really matter (to me, it certainly does for nintendo) all that much.

Bring on the games

I'm pretty sure that you are actually secretly me. This is what I came in here to post.

AzaK

Reggie was apparently incorrect about that. Nintendo clarified that it is more than one game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_22013695

Second correction at the top of the article.

I turned out Reggie was misquoted. Reggie meant to say Nintendo had to sell more than one game to be profitable while selling Wii U at a loss. However, no exact number was given. Iwata did say prior to Wii U's launch, that he hoped the console would produce some evergreen titles, which would have obviously helped Nintendo out.
Ahh OK, ths MS guys. So does this mean they need to sell 3+? That sounds insane and could mean Wii U is selling at $60+ loss. No way. I must missing something.

Well then can you give a reason why ps4 can't launch at $350, based on its technological makeup?
I think it certainly could, though I think the scale of loss Sony wants to eat and Microsoft's pricepoint will be the determining factors. And likewise I think Wii U's future pricepoints will depend on how Orbis/Durango get priced.

If there was a $350 Orbis model, it'd likely be HDD-less and go for a small (say 32GB) amount of on board flash instead. Sony's real advantage is their cheap controller versus the U Gamepad or Kinect 2, though the back touch pad is going to increase costs a little there too.

Sure. Except for 20 millions of people in less than two years, no one wants a 3DS outside Japan.

lol

As someone who's not really a long-term Sales-Age expert, but does enjoy trying to get a better understanding of the business-side, I personally think getting an accurate idea of how the 3DS is performing to be one of the most difficult nuts to crack. My understanding of it is as follows: it got off to a rough start, but the price cut/ambassador program/big Mario games more or less salvaged it. As is, it's more or less doing "OK," but is underperforming Nintendo's expectations and is only truly soaring in Japan.

That's how I understand the situation. Basically, the overall assessment to me seems rather mediocre thus far. But there's no shortage of talk in terms of assessing it at the extremes that really muddies the waters for me. Some seem to classify it almost as an abject failure, while others just focus on the "tens of millions" sold to conclude that it's well on its way to being a very respectable successor to the smash hit DS.

Hiltz

So Wii is finally going to the 100 million milestone. Wii U sales in UK are much better than I thought they were, but software sales have been struggling in all regions. It seems like a lot of people have exaggerated the "doom" of Wii U's total hardware sales. 3 million seems very good even though it likely won't mean it can reach Nintendo's the original goal of 5.5 million by the end of the fiscal year. Do we know how much Xbox 360's global sales were between November and December 2005 ? i saw this on Wikipedia:

Analysts believe Microsoft did not meet the original worldwide target of 2.75–3 million units sold in the first 90 days after launch,[26] and Microsoft revised their initial 90 day estimate down to 2.5 million units,[22] though their 6 month sales estimate remained unchanged at 4.5 to 5.5 million consoles.[21]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/moore-on-360-launch-nothings-perfect-6142087

I wanna see the receipts.

I got it from the front page of the MH Tri Wiki. However, the link to the source are dead, but, as far as US first week sales go, Street Fighter 4 (PS3) sold 135k coming in at 10th place while the 360 version ranked 14th place with 108k copies to help put MH Tri's sales in perspective.

So Wii is finally going to the 100 million milestone. Wii U sales in UK are much better than I thought they were, but software sales have been struggling in all regions. It seems like a lot of people have exaggerated the "doom" of Wii U's total hardware sales. 3 million seems very good even though it likely won't mean it can reach Nintendo's the original goal of 5.5 million by the end of the fiscal year.

Whether or not it's doomed is kind of silly at this point in the game, but I don't understand how a revision of one's forecast to indicate that you expect to sell 27% fewer units than before can seem "very good."

Tookay

As someone who's not really a long-term Sales-Age expert, but does enjoy trying to get a better understanding of the business-side, I personally think getting an accurate idea of how the 3DS is performing to be one of the most difficult nuts to crack. My understanding of it is as follows: it got off to a rough start, but the price cut/ambassador program/big Mario games more or less salvaged it. As is, it's more or less doing "OK," but is underperforming Nintendo's expectations and is only truly soaring in Japan.

That's how I understand the situation. Basically, the overall assessment to me seems rather mediocre thus far. But there's no shortage of talk in terms of assessing it at the extremes that really muddies the waters for me. Some seem to classify it almost as an abject failure, while others just focus on the "tens of millions" sold to conclude that it's well on its way to being a very respectable successor to the smash hit DS.

Thank you for being one of the more reasonable posters in this discussion.

Hiltz

Whether or not it's doomed is kind of silly at this point in the game, but I don't understand how a revision of one's forecast to indicate that you expect to sell 27% fewer units than before can seem "very good."

I meant it's still better than what some people expected Wii U sales to be at, but for Nintendo itself, it had higher expectations. I think Nintendo expected too much with little in the way of software releases to help boost Wii U sales for January and February.

Arkam

They might not have a choice soon, they are the new kids now, but not for long. As soon as the new consoles release the Wii U is going to look like a pretty poor choice at $350.

Agreed. Thats why I expect a price drop before the others release. Nothing big, just a $50 drop and some aggressive Xmas bundles. It would nice to see how a $300 bundle with 32GB wiiu, Nintendoland and NSMB would sell.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
fYptSN6.jpg

oh boy....

M.D

He's talking about software sales

January 30, 2013

3DS NDS Wii Wii U

Hardware 15.00 2.30 4.00 4.00

Software 50.00 33.00 50.00 16.00

-------------------------------------------------------

October 24, 2012