• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power July Preview Sonic Colors, De Blob: Underground

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
:lol at Jump with A being the huge bulletin point it is for De Blob 2.

They should put it on the back of the box "JUMP WITH A"!!! That would really bring the chi ching.

Nice to see Tiger 11 with a 9.0, same as Tiger 10. Wonder how well first-person view works.

i would just like to state the following:

If the 8-Bit GTA they mention (Retro City Rampage) is the game i think it is, then that gets a FREAKING HUGE "YESSSSSS" from me.

I got to play it last PAX and HOLY CRAP WAS IT AWESOME.

Seriously Awesome. Seriously.

Skiesofwonder

Cromulent_Word said:
i would just like to state the following:

If the 8-Bit GTA they mention (Retro City Rampage) is the game i think it is, then that gets a FREAKING HUGE "YESSSSSS" from me.

I got to play it last PAX and HOLY CRAP WAS IT AWESOME.

Seriously Awesome. Seriously.

Was it Wiiware? And how so exactly?

Skiesofwonder said:
Was it Wiiware? And how so exactly?
The version i played wasn't on Wii, but that means nothing.

I was sworn to secrecy, and have no intention to break the swearing, so all i will say is: it's 8-Bit in all the RIGHT ways. It's not a game w/ 8-Bit art... its really wonderfully 8-Bit.

V_Ben

Banned
Cromulent_Word said:

I was sworn to secrecy, and have no intention to break the swearing, so all i will say is: it's 8-Bit in all the RIGHT ways. It's not a game w/ 8-Bit art... its really wonderfully 8-Bit.

You know how to get my hyped. And hyped I now am :lol

Skiesofwonder

Cromulent_Word said:

:0

Interest rising!

Must get info summary from NP now.

Cromulent_Word said:

You
magnificent
son of a bitch! There's absolutely nothing you can tell us?

Cromulent_Word said:
i dont even know it's the same game. i really hope it is though :)

sorry for being a huge tease.
The homepage has some tiny screenshots on it, can you tell if it's the same game based on that? http://retrocityrampage.com/

EDIT - or I could just post the background image.
107kp52.jpg

EDIT2 - I did some more digging and apparently the game used to be called "Retro Theftendo" and was entered in the 2009 IGF. Is this the game you played?
av4g9y.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Cromulent_Word said:

www.retrocityrampage.com has got a big fat WiiWare Logo at the bottom

Edit: Too slow! :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but De Blob 2 is multiplatform, so of course everything will be mappable to non-motion controls. It would be really really pathetic if De Blob 2 Wii had compulsory motion jumping and De Blob 2 360 didn't. :p

Skiesofwonder

Stumpokapow said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but De Blob 2 is multiplatform, so of course everything will be mappable to non-motion controls. It would be really really pathetic if De Blob 2 Wii had compulsory motion jumping and De Blob 2 360 didn't. :p

*STOP THE PRESSES*

De Blob is coming to HD consoles?!?!?!?

Teknoman

De Blob 2 is multiplatform? Wow had no idea about that...wouldnt it be best to make each version to that system's strengths?

I still havent played the first one...have heard the soundtrack, so i'm hoping the second one keeps up the music quality.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AceBandage said:
I don't think that was confirmed.
Pretty sure multiplatform means DS and iPhone.

Why would it mean those 2?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Earlier in the year they said this:

"Well, de Blob started its life on Wii. We've not announced anything yet, but obviously with a great brand like that -- people love that character -- taking it to other platforms, the game mechanic can be done," Farrell said in an IGN interview. "Actually, I prefer it on a normal controller. We'll be branching it out to other platforms -- that's a great brand to build."
I'd say it's HD, unless you count the DS as a normal controller.

The Hermit

Skiesofwonder said:
:lol at Jump with A being the huge bulletin point it is for De Blob 2.

They should put it on the back of the box "JUMP WITH A"!!! That would really bring the chi ching.

Nice to see Tiger 11 with a 9.0, same as Tiger 10. Wonder how well first-person view works.

Well... it is. I loathed the jump in the original...

ILikeFeet

Banned
AceBandage said:
Well, if it is HD, then I hope they aren't disappointed by sales of a Wii sequel of a "kiddy" game.

seeing how games like this does better on the Wii than other consoles, the HD versions underperforming wouldn't be surprising :lol

Skiesofwonder

Only thing I could find:

THQ CEO Brian Farrel said:
Well, de Blob started its life on Wii. We've not announced anything yet, but obviously with a great brand like that -- people love that character -- taking it to other platforms, the game mechanic can be done," Farrell said in an IGN interview. "Actually, I prefer it on a normal controller. We'll be branching it out to other platforms -- that's a great brand to build.

Source.

Not sure if that means De Blob: Underground will be coming to HD consoles or not.

Edit: beaten. :(

Skiesofwonder

New details for Sonic Colors was just posted over at the place to GO for Nintendo news.

• different colored wisps mean different power-ups
  • power-ups only last for a limited time
  • yellow wisp = drill
  • drill for burrowing underground or speeding through water
  • green wisp = laser
  • use laser to zip across the screen and destroy enemies
  • 7 or 8 wisps in all
  • carry 1 wisp at a time
  • activate by flicking the Wiimote
  • gauge at the bottom of the screen shows how much longer the power-up will last
  • yellow wisp lasts about 10 seconds
  • red wisp = fireball
  • red wisp is only in the DS version
  • red wisp allows you to boost in any direction, give access to new heights
  • red wisp allows you to ignite a rocket platform
  • unique boss battles in both versions
  • Wii bosses do pop up in DS title
  • tilt Nunchuk to drift around corners
  • during the demo that Nintendo Power played, roughly 70% of the gameplay was 2.5d
  • 3D perspective for speed portions, 2.5D perspective for more platforming-based action
  • tons of hidden paths
  • some hidden paths can only be accessed via use of certain wisps
  • mysterious emblems are scatted about levels, with their purpose being unknown
  • if drill power-up runs out while you're drilling underground, you'll die
  • antennas will warp you to new sections of a level, if you have the laser wisp
  • rocket wisp as well

I'm pessimistically optimistic.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But the Wii controls in Unleashed were terrible. I had to switch to the Gamecube controller to have any fun. and I usually LIKE Wii controls.

Can't we keep the Sonic discussion in the other thread? This is like watching two Sonic cycles eventually collide, forming a black hole from which Yuji Naka will rise to announce Shadow The Hedgehog 2. Stop it already.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Htown said:
But the Wii controls in Unleashed were terrible. I had to switch to the Gamecube controller to have any fun. and I usually LIKE Wii controls.

Wii controls in Sonic Unleashed were great... if you only played the daytime levels.

The controls during the daytime levels were like Mario Kart Wii played with Wiimote and Nunchuk. Drifting was holding Z and using the analog.

Very disappointed if those nunchuk controls are true.

Let's not forget, tilt's a very simple thing to use, should be so on either the Wiimote or Nunchuck, this is not gesture-controlled like in Okami.

I can see it working. Hopefully just to be safe they add in GC and CC controls.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mato said:
when is e3 anyway

Nintendo's conference is the 15th, Microsoft's and a few others are the 14th, the Natal Cirque de Soleil extravaganza is the 13th, the event itself runs from 15th-17th.

Poyunch

I actually liked the motion control jumps. It sort of gave de Blob some weight as I'd expect from a blob of paint. Still it's not a big deal.

Top Bottom