• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power July Preview Sonic Colors, De Blob: Underground

trinest

What I want is multiplayer same level Sonic- I don't care if theres 1000 shitty friends in the same game- as long as that happens.

Do it Sega!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trinest said:
What I want is multiplayer same level Sonic- I don't care if theres 1000 shitty friends in the same game- as long as that happens.

Do it Sega!

How can you expect them to nail multiplayer when they haven't been able to provide good single player?

trinest said:
I haven't played a Sonic on the Wii since Secret Rings, and while I retain that was a pile of crap- this looks cool.

stop this

stop this before you cross the event horizon

trinest

I'm sorry but the hype train has already left the station.

Though Retro City Rampage is the only thing to remove that hype if its awesome. So pick one? :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:
I leave for one week and you guys go ahead and start a new Sonic Cycle without me?

1jomzq.gif

I (or someone) need to shop the Sonic Cycle into this, it's too perfect.

Do we know what team is developing this?

edit: Ah, Sonic Team. You know, I actually believe if they put their focus in the right areas they're still capable of making a good game. Then again, I am one of the handful of people who thought NiGHTS: JoD was a worthwhile experience at its core in spite of some obvious missteps.

TheChaos

AniHawk said:
Yeah but this new Sonic game actually looks like it could be good.

You live up to your tag, my good man.

And with EO3 locailzed does that mean chances of 7th Dragon coming over are gone? =(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trinest said:
I'm sorry but the hype train has already left the station.

Though Retro City Rampage is the only thing to remove that hype if its awesome. So pick one? :p

May Naka have mercy on your soul.

Glass Soldier said:
noooo regulus dont follow him you cant save hiiiiim

Shall I live with the guilt that I abandoned him in his moment of need?

Wizpig said:
Better than Black Knight and Unleashed at least.

WE HAVEN'T SEEN A SINGLE SECOND OF FOOTAGE

Wizpig

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Do we know what team is developing this?

edit: Ah, Sonic Team. You know, I actually believe if they put their focus in the right areas they're still capable of making a good game. Then again, I am one of the handful of people who thought NiGHTS: JoD was a worthwhile experience at its core in spite of some obvious missteps.
Where did you read Sonic Team is developing this?
Everyone thought the same for Sonic 4, but that's not true.

Anyway, I reckon it's the same exact team that did Secret Rings and Black Knight -- is that Sonic Team? Dimps did the Wii version of Unleashed, if I'm correct...

I'm still cautious with this, it was announced in a weird way, like they do for low-budget spin-offs.
And I don't like the sound of a DS version that uses some of the precious developing time.
Why not Sonic Rush 3 instead. damn.

Wizpig said:
Where did you read Sonic Team is developing this?
Everyone thought the same for Sonic 4, but that's not true.

Anyway, I reckon it's the same exact team that did Secret Rings and Black Knight -- is that Sonic Team? Dimps did the Wii version of Unleashed, if I'm correct...

I'm still cautious with this, it was announced in a weird way, like they do for low-budget spin-offs.
And I don't like the sound of a DS version that uses some of the precious developing time.
Why not Sonic Rush 3 instead. damn.
http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP256_SonicColors.jpg

Andrex said:
Sonic Team also did Secret Rings and Black Knight.
Secret Rings was decent, but not great. The main problem was that they started you off with gimped abilities and took too long to give you full control over Sonic. Responsive controls shouldn't be an upgrade to grind towards. :p I haven't played Black Knight because of the generally negative impressions. I don't really trust any Sonic game that has "combat" and makes you stop and fuck around with NPCs. As I noted before, Sonic Team also did NiGHTS: JoD, which I'm personally pretty accepting of. Actually, I'd rather see a sequel to that than another Sonic game.

Cipherr

Why wont they just fucking stop it? Why do that. You make one then immediately start working on another? Its like a parody of a joke of a parody.

Mael

btw does that mean that they're pooling their focus on DS and Wii and that there will be a separate hd sonic project for this year?

i don't care what anyone says, i think it could be good

take the gameplay of sonic and the secret rings. make it much better. add in some psychadelic nonsense. done

Sadist

The Secret Rings was somewhat enjoyable. (And the first Sonic game I played since Adventure) But the fucking jumping mechanic was down right stupid. Plus the last levels were pretty dull in design.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Puncture said:
Why wont they just fucking stop it? Why do that. You make one then immediately start working on another? Its like a parody of a joke of a parody.
Because Sonic games sell a lot?

As far as the game goes, I'm going to reserve judgment for the moment. Some parts of Unleashed showed that they were on the right track, but Black Knight was not very good.

Mael said:
btw does that mean that they're pooling their focus on DS and Wii and that there will be a separate hd sonic project for this year?

I'd say Sonic 4 "is" that project.

Let's review this gen so far for the main console platformers:

2006: Sonic The Fresh One 360 (Jan '07 Sonic PS3, but eh :p)
2007: Secret Rings Wii
2008: Sonic Unleashed mainly for PS360 (started the trend of adding Wii into the mix, and the only one to go to PS2 as well)
2009: Black Knight Wii
2010: Sonic 4 mainly for PS360 (scaled down for Wii and iPhone)
2010: Sonic Colors Wii and DS (semi braking the tradition of releasing it at the end of the even year instead of Spring the next oddly, also the first for DS)

This could be because next year they're doing smething pretty substantial for the anniversary, I don't know.

That or they're doing this for the rest of the gen:

2011: Mainly for HD project but also made for Wii.
2012: Wii/Wii & DS project.

That's my view on the subject.

And of course we'll see M&S3 at the end of next year. But that's a spin-off, but an easy to predict one. :p

Hero of Legend said:

2008: Sonic Unleashed mainly for PS360 (started the trend of adding Wii into the mix, and the only one to go to PS2 as well)
2010: Sonic Colors Wii and DS (semi braking the tradition of releasing it at the end of the even year instead of Spring the next oddly, also the first for DS)

This could be because next year they're doing smething pretty substantial for the anniversary, I don't know.

And of course we'll see M&S3 at the end of next year. But that's a spin-off, but an easy to predict one. :p

I wonder if Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics sold remotely as well the first one? I don't think it charted for as long.

By the way, I feel saddened seeing people falling for the Sonic Cycle again =(

Danthrax said:
[fake edit] stop with the English/American crap already. American English is superior because we use fewer letters to communicate the same ideas. case closed.
Fewer letters doesn't make text/internet speak the superior way to communicate.

Sohter.Nura said:
I wonder if Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics sold remotely as well the first one? I don't think it charted for as long.

By the way, I feel saddened seeing people falling for the Sonic Cycle again =(

Passed 6 million combined just recently if I recall. So it's getting there.

Mael

Azure Phoenix said:
Fewer letters doesn't make text/internet speak the superior way to communicate.

no e's rite!

Hero of Legend said:

pretty good break up, I'd say don't expect a new M&S until next year to prepare for the next Olympic...then again it's Sega who can be pretty Capcomy in the way they handle their franchises.
Also I very much doubt that Sonic 4 is scaled down in any way shape of form other than resolution for the wiiware version, it's certainly not the most ambitious project on wiiware.
And I hope they do nothing for the anniversary...I mean seeing their track record...

Mael said:
no e's rite!

pretty good break up, I'd say don't expect a new M&S until next year to prepare for the next Olympic...then again it's Sega who can be pretty Capcomy in the way they handle their franchises.
Also I very much doubt that Sonic 4 is scaled down in any way shape of form other than resolution for the wiiware version, it's certainly not the most ambitious project on wiiware.
And I hope they do nothing for the anniversary...I mean seeing their track record...

I meant scaled-down resolution-wise. :p

m3k

its amazing how much of a bad joke sonic has transformed into

i mean it really is amazing

:'(

BertramCooper said:
:lol :lol :lol

I feel like I should know this already, but which game is that from?

Sonic 4. I forget the name of the level, but the main gimmick is that you use either tilt for the Wii and PS3 or the trigger buttons on the 360 IIRC to tilt the screen to have Sonic move in that direction, and it's wonky as hell.

Hero of Legend said:
Sonic 4. I forget the name of the level, but the main gimmick is that you use either tilt for the Wii and PS3 or the trigger buttons on the 360 IIRC to tilt the screen to have Sonic move in that direction, and it's wonky as hell.
Okay, thanks.

Even with HUELEN banned, I'm still afraid of Sonic threads. :lol

Andrex said:
Sonic Team also did Secret Rings and Black Knight.
There are different development teams that release under "Sonic Team", or rather, there were. Sonic Team Japan did Sonic Adventure, Sonic & the Black Knight, Sonic & the Secret Ring, Sonic Unleashed (PS3/360 versions all, Werehog levels only for Wii version), Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, and Sonic Riders, while Sonic Team USA (now defunct) did NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes. Then there's DIMPS, who also release under Sonic Team's label with Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush series, Sonic Unleashed (daytime Wii levels only), and Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Currently the Sonic Team power structure most closely resembles the defunct Sonic Team USA/SEGA Studios USA.

ILikeFeet

Banned
thomasos said:
To those equating the wisps to a gimmick, would you consider the power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy to be a gimmick? The point is that they're not some overwhelming mechanic that dominates the experience like Sonic wielding a sword, transforming into a werehog, etc.

yes. then again, I use "gimmick" literally. the space, planets and gravity in SMG/2 is a gimmick

Top Bottom