• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power July Preview Sonic Colors, De Blob: Underground

The mix of 2D/3D gameplay sounds good and it's a relief their ditching the shitty "storybook" series for a real game. Sonic cycle incoming, but I think it has potential as a Wii exclusive. Not expecting Mario Galaxy 2 quality but it might be a decent romp. Color me optimistic.

Unless there's Werehogs. Or other characters. Or tilt motion controls.

Stumpokapow said:
With the announcement of Sonic Colours, the list of third party Wii exclusives looks like this:

13. Tales of Graces. Namco - Status: Not likely to be localized.
14. Taiko Drum Master. Namco - Status: Not likely to be localized.

(this is meant to be exhaustive and include any game that is either exclusively for Wii amongst this console generation or has enough Wii-specific features to make the Wii version specifically something to watch out for versus the other versions. i don't include "pancake games: a breakfast adventure" level shovelware, but i will include anything else).

So if we don't see these two games at E3 we might as well give up all hope. Dayum.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This seems strangely interesting coming after the Sonic 4 fiasco.

No expectations whatsoever for it to be any good, but will keep an eye on it.

sinxtanx

I can't drum up any interest. I seem to have lost all(100%) faith in Sonic Team.
In my head, Sonic has been reborn, only to be killed again.
He is trapped in a cycle of eternal pain.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why is Sonic's speed so irrelevant? Isn't being fast part of what makes him unique? Why is it then that every friend, character, robot and every other living thing he encounters in games can match him effortlessly?

Bah.

Nintendorag said:
Sonic Colors The Blue Blur returns, and this time there aren't any gimmicks to get in his way. Rev up for our exclusive first-look cover story!

Love this quote from the site. No gimmicks, except the the setting being in space and alien friends. Nope, no gimmicks at all.

How can they say in big bold letters that there are no gimmicks, when we know the wisps provide Sonic special powers, so the namesake of the game is ALREADY a gimmick.

Rlan said:
Say, look what it says under "developer" for the De Blob: The Underground story!

;)

Congrats on you and the folks at Halfbrick for landing a title in a solid series! :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dani said:
Love this quote from the site. No gimmicks, except the the setting being in space and alien friends. Nope, no gimmicks at all.

I'm not sure those are necessarily gimmicks

if they are, every adjective ever used to describe any given video game would have to be categorized as a gimmick.

Danthrax said:

if they are, every adjective ever used to describe any given video game would have to be categorized as a gimmick.

No, saying "Sonic's back with no gimmicks" is saying "Sonic's back to classic gameplay and settings." I can't argue about the settings because Mario Galaxy does classic settings in crazy ways, and I'm not one of those people who thinks Green Hill Zone is the only Sonic stage ever that must always be remade a million times over, but the aliens granting Sonic powers like drilling through ground, or becoming a laser beam (? I guess to warp through the stage, or certain barriers), those are gimmicks, they're extended past Sonic's usual hop-and-bop, even the shield powers in Sonic 3.

The only situation where they'd not be gimmicks is if they happened on automatic pilot as you ran through the stage, like when Sonic would run on the trails of enemies in Secret Rings.

Bizzyb

Banned
I'm guessing those fake Luma-things are used in the gameplay to help sonic in different ways

Sonic Colors sounds so stupid...but I guess it's not as if they could have called it Sonic Galaxy, eh?

Glass Soldier said:
So if we don't see these two games at E3 we might as well give up all hope. Dayum.

It's Namco. Giving up hope would be the default option because you get less disappointed that way.

goomba

Banned
Danthrax said:
wut

it's none of those, it's called Sonic Colors.

alternate answer: they didn't want to seem too derivative, lollerskates

SEGA and America should learn to spell the ENGLISH word COLOUR .

Most words ending in an unstressed -our in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Australia and most other English-speaking countries (e.g., colour, flavour, honour, neighbour, rumour, labour) end in -or in the United States (e.g., color, flavor, honor, neighbor, rumor, labor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#-our.2C_-or

Change to the metric system while your at it.

AniHawk

goomba said:
SEGA and America should learn to spell the ENGLISH word COLOUR .

Or maybe England should modernize. What next, you want us free people to be ruled under a tyrannical monarchy?

goomba

Banned
AniHawk said:
Or maybe England should modernize. What next, you want us free people to be ruled under a tyrannical monarchy?

Modernise your imperial system to the metric system to catch up with the rest of the world then.

trinest

AniHawk said:
I do agree as a non American- the only butchered word I can love from them is color.

AniHawk

goomba said:
Modernise your imperial system to the metric system to catch up with the rest of the world then.
The one with the z is better. Also, the imperial system is a very small price to pay for living in a free country.

thomasos

To those equating the wisps to a gimmick, would you consider the power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy to be a gimmick? The point is that they're not some overwhelming mechanic that dominates the experience like Sonic wielding a sword, transforming into a werehog, etc.

udivision

thomasos said:
To those equating the wisps to a gimmick, would you consider the power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy to be a gimmick? The point is that they're not some overwhelming mechanic that dominates the experience like Sonic wielding a sword, transforming into a werehog, etc.

IDK, even Mario-with-a-water-jetpack was a good game. It doesn't seem like any Sonic game with "gimmicks" is considered that good.

SilverLunar said:
Couldn't they made up a better title??

Color
/colour
?? really??

It's like Castlevania Judgement all over!

Pureauthor said:
It's Namco. Giving up hope would be the default option because you get less disappointed that way.

Oh well, I should have known when Graces was announced to be a non-Team Symphonia Tales. Nintendo still could publish it though, like they did with Symphonia, Monster Hunter 3 and Samurai Warriors 3, right? Right?!
Yeah, no.

mollipen

markot said:
: The degeneration.

sega-sonic.jpg
sonic.gif

Second Sonic looks much better. *shrugs* Matter of opinion, of course, but you know. I think Sonic is far more visually interesting now than he used to be, making it even more unfortunate that I can't stand his games anymore.

trinest

On a second judgement, I got a few Nintendo fansite fans overhyped that this could be the game Rockstar is working on- and by this I mean Retro City Ramapage- so hurry up and tell me someone like Konami or EA made it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kulock said:
No, saying "Sonic's back with no gimmicks" is saying "Sonic's back to classic gameplay and settings." I can't argue about the settings because Mario Galaxy does classic settings in crazy ways, and I'm not one of those people who thinks Green Hill Zone is the only Sonic stage ever that must always be remade a million times over, but the aliens granting Sonic powers like drilling through ground, or becoming a laser beam (? I guess to warp through the stage, or certain barriers), those are gimmicks, they're extended past Sonic's usual hop-and-bop, even the shield powers in Sonic 3.

The only situation where they'd not be gimmicks is if they happened on automatic pilot as you ran through the stage, like when Sonic would run on the trails of enemies in Secret Rings.

The "aliens granting powers" thing sounds pretty similar to Sonic 3&K's shield powers, IMO. We'll have to see how they're used during gameplay, but right now they don't sound like shitty gimmickry.

[fake edit] stop with the English/American crap already. American English is superior because we use fewer letters to communicate the same ideas. case closed.

I'm half-looking forward to the Batman game. Granted, they're pretty wishy-washy with licensed games, but after Arkham Asylum, I'd think they'd want to make a good game out of Batman.

NinjaFusion said:
seriously...? :lol :lol :lol

It's just embarrassing now
I'm looking for something that's so lol-worthy and embarrassing, considering the Sonic games everyone fondly remembers had cutesy little forest animals prancing about whenever you "destroyed" an enemy or beat a level. Most of the recent Sonic games deserve ridicule for their shitty design problems, but I don't see anything bad about the official art for this game so far. It actually looks like a step in the right direction after years of awful contrived attempts at making Sonic games hip and edgy.

Tiktaalik

Yeah from the one piece of art we've seen I have no issue with the direction that they're presenting. I fully expect to see an awful final result, given SEGAs history, but hey why not be cautiously optimistic.

At least they understand where their market really is and are making the right decision in putting it on the Wii/DS.

Tiktaalik

14alw5e.jpg

Another main character + cutesy friends.

I suppose I'm playing devils advocate here, but I literally don't see the difference between these two pieces of art.

I guess that's the point. :) Sega is just copying what clearly works.

Danthrax said:

Yeah, I agree. Perhaps the wisps will mirror Mario's Galaxy's power-ups? Bee Mario, Cloud Mario and such. Are those gimmicks then too?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SwiftSketcher said:
Yeah, I agree. Perhaps the wisps will mirror Mario's Galaxy's power-ups? Bee Mario, Cloud Mario and such. Are those gimmicks then too?

Nope because powerups and suits have always been apart of Mario. And besides that, Nintendo can pull off gimmicks way, way better than anyone in the industry, let alone Sega.

Compare Bee Mario to travesties like the Werehog again, I dare you.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sonic's art style is fucking irrelevant.

It's the gameplay that remains to be shit. Complaining about the art style is a red herring to the real problem.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
remember when everyone said it would be star fox.

Whenever NP has a non-obvious teaser I'm going to say it's Sonic from now on. No matter how ridiculous.

trinest

AniHawk said:
I'm accuarly more excited for this- look at this way, Sonic 4 is going to flop because of its Digital Distrobution design- and well here is a Sonic for the systems I own which I can easily pick up and play- heck it might be 3d or 2d or what ever, but it might have some solid concepts behind it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:

I bet the Marquis de Sade is your favourite author.

trinest said:
I'm accuarly more excited for this- look at this way, Sonic 4 is going to flop because of its Digital Distrobution design- and well here is a Sonic for the systems I own which I can easily pick up and play- heck it might be 3d or 2d or what ever, but it might have some solid concepts behind it.

why do you keep doing this to yourself

whyyyyy

Wizpig

devilhawk said:
Solo?

SOLO!

I'm expecting 8 new shitty friends :(
Tails is in the trailer, so I don't think it will be "solo".
And "solo" isn't new stuff anyways, "shitty friends" are old stuff since Sonic 2006. /sigh

Zen

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
14alw5e.jpg

Another main character + cutesy friends.

I suppose I'm playing devils advocate here, but I literally don't see the difference between these two pieces of art.

I guess that's the point. :) Sega is just copying what clearly works.

If they're looking to copy Mario Galaxy, more power to them. :lol

Top Bottom