• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Splatoon and Fire Emblem animes seem pretty obvious to me. They would be missing out on a huge opportunity for both franchises if they don't.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We already got FE anime and F-Zero anime. Hell we already got Super Mario anime.

Metroid anime tho...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just looking at what software is currently scheduled for WiiU/3DS in Q1, it's hard to imagine some form of NX not hitting in 2016. They are blowing their load way too early otherwise.

On a side-note, we know Pikimin 4 has been in the finishing stages of development for quite awhile, maybe they are holding off release to coincide with a television show perhaps? The Miyamoto-helmed pikmin short films seemed more like test releases than one-off projects. Also, the touch-screen gameplay update to Pikmin 3 seems odd in retrospect, maybe it was developed as a feedback measure to begin work on a touch-screen focused sequel for NX (which heavily focuses on that input if patents are to be believed).

Fredrik

This ain't the '80s, boy. I wouldn't rule out a 2017-release, but no matter what the NX is the difference in release date will not be that big. This is a generational switch; I'd say a few weeks difference between territories, at the most.
80s? Xbox One launched in late 2014 where I live, I heard some people got it a bit earlier than that :/

Fredrik

I can't wait for NX to arrive but the bit about making 4x more money than last year makes me scared that they'll go with a cheap strange console again. I want a powerful Nintendo console, don't care if I have to pay €599 for it.

disco

They better be serious about NEW ideas.

No more New Super Mario Bros please. No more slight additions (i.e. Mario Kart 9) or reinventing traditions in a totally predictable way (A Link Between Worlds). I want something I can't imagine - this is what you're good at Nintendo, it's when you've been your most successful and critically acclaimed (Wind Waker, Galaxy, Metroid Prime, the Wii, Wario Ware etc.). Whilst some of you might say these creations leant on the past, yes they did, but only very slightly. The success of the 3DS became far too paint by numbers in all of their franchises contemporary iterations (except perhaps SM3DL...).

thefro

So I was right and they're not releasing the NX in 2016 all along.

The translator added those quotes himself... they're not present in the original article. I think he meant to quote what was said exactly from the article and not to emphasize it.

It's basically the same thing Iwata said last year and that Kimishima has said several times since he became President, that they will talk about NX in 2016.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why serkan put details between "", since there's no trace of that in the original article. Still, maybe it's better if someone with good Japanese knowledge translates that bit of the (short, anyway) article.
Yeah, I wondered that too. Also, 詳細 has multiple meanings. It could also mean "more information".

Hopefully should some details, as Alistair Roo mentioned, come during the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing on February 3 (JST).

t1454461200z4.png

JSevere

need those NX details right now, rain them down upon me Kimishima

looking forward to hearing about their theme park/movie/anime ventures too, could produce some really awesome stuff

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
reading it back, i think the reason why serkan put that double inverted commas because in the article, it doesn't explicitly tells what the detail is.

That sounds a bit strange. Of course, Kimishima wasn't going to share what NX details he's going to share in an interview before the official announcement :p

The translator added those quotes himself... they're not present in the original article. I think he meant to quote what was said exactly from the article and not to emphasize it.

It's basically the same thing Iwata said last year and that Kimishima has said several times since he became President, that they will talk about NX in 2016.

I think if the NX were to release in 2016 they would've said something about it by now.

Nintendo isn't about to drop a huge bomb about a 2016 confirmed release in an article like this. They're withholding further details until a time of their choosing. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it yet.

If it's launching this year, there's a decent chance he'll confirm it at the Q3 results briefing in early February.

And Kimishima's end-of-year letter talked about NX, but didn't mention either Wii U or 3DS at all. That seems to be the case here as well, and while not a smoking-gun confirmation, it seems pretty telling.

maxcriden

What if a mainline 3D Mario that manages to be different from both 3D World, Galaxy and SM64?

I'd say the next game will likely be a blend of both styles. Or something entirely different. I guess that's not helpful. Sorry. Just excited!

I, for one, think Nintendo IP is a gold mine for licensing. In for a new Fire Emblem anime.
I mean, shit, I would make a yearly pilgrimage to Nintendo museum or amusement park.

You probably already saw this, but the amusement park (section at least, at a Universal park) is confirmed to be in the making.

I think the NX deets will hit when they launch the first mobile game, because that's when they also launch the new account system. Would make sense for them to be like "and this new account works with NX, here's some details."

I don't know if it will be as much of an afterthought sounding as that, haha, but based on the recent rumor I think a March or April concept release and then E3 blowout full reveal with games is likely.

Hmm. I may be reading it wrong but I think the NX won't be coming out until 2017 but the announcement/revealing, or whatever you want to call it will be either at E3 or at the Tokyo Game Show this year.

My money is March 2017 in Japan and holiday 2017 rest of the world for the NX.

I wouldn't read too much into this article. Nintendo is probably wanting to hold any real cards close to their vest until they reveal when the first details will come.

I believe the number one issue with the WiiU has been price. Nothing has damaged it's sales more.

The first priority for NX should be getting it at $250 or even $200. Releasing 3 years on from xb one should mean they can deliver something of a similar power at a good price point.

Sales are a big problem. But $250 has been available even recently and refurbs (which only a tiny segment of the market would know about, though) have been $200 for ages. I think the name and branding confusion are at least as big problems.

I always thought 2016 was overly-ambitious for an NX release. Maybe first half of 2017, but releasing this year could really hamper any kind of 3rd party support they have because of short window for dev time.

This doesn't rule out 2016 for an NX release, but "details" make it sound farther out than that.

We just don't know what NX is, how long it's been worked on, and what devs have already had dev kits. I wouldn't read too much into the details comment. They are keeping their cards close to the vest for now.

If the NX isn't dropping in 2016... i expect a lot of mobile games this year to make up for it.

Roll-out of mobile games will likely have very little bearing on home console or dedicated handheld release schedule.

Hopefully their investors meeting in February has these new NX details Kimishima is talking about.

I expect February they'll say "very soon," March or April will be the concept reveal, and E3 will be the big blowout reveal.

Gambit

Xenoblade anime. Make it happen, Nintendo!

I would say a Xenoblade X anime would be an even better idea, as it could be "in-continuity" with the game. Just use all the other party members except for Cross and tell all kinds of New LA stories.

The game could be "the prequel" story-wise.

Apart from that Kid Icarus please! With the Uprising cast, of course.
And Splatoon for continued Japanese domination

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If somehow NX won't launch in 2016 then formally announcing it last year was quite a big mistake.

Also E3 2015 is even worse in hindsight.

Are they only considering anime? I'd imagine there are a lot of Western studios that would love to handle Mario and the like.

It's not the 80's any more. DIC is gone, and American cartoons are much higher-quality now.

AdanVC

Worried seeing the words "details" and "NX" pretty close of each other. We don't need details, we need a blowout of information, a megaton of it!!... Freaking NX will not release this year isn'it?? How is Nintendo gonna survive then?

They would have announced their big fall 2016 releases at E3 if there weren't something brewing. They had no problem showing off Mario Maker or Zelda in 2014 and Smash in 2013.

maxcriden

I wonder how many amiibos will be bundled with the NX.

it's in this sentence

edit: oh wait i think i misunderstood your post.... haha

Doesn't that refer to the 100 billion yen expectation, though?

EDIT: As I thought XD

reading it back, i think the reason why serkan put that double inverted commas because in the article, it doesn't explicitly tells what the detail is.

Rösti;192283790 said:
Yeah, I wondered that too. Also, 詳細 has multiple meanings. It could also mean "more information".

Hopefully should some details, as Alistair Roo mentioned, come during the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing on February 3 (JST).

t1454461200z4.png

I see. Thanks for the clarification, all. I expect we should read very very little into this comment about details, then. I do think we will see details about concept being revealed "very soon" at the Financial Results Briefing. Then reveal by April. Then massive info blowout at E3.

Anime? Kid Icarus, with the Uprising cast, has a lot of material for one. Fire Emblem adaptations could also be written as animes, like an anime for Marth's story or something like that.

Splatoon is also a good franchise for a TV show but I imagine it being more of a light hearted comedy cartoon.

Pikmin would be cool for a Pixar movie or something like that. It has cute characters, possible sad moments and opportunity of lessons for kids and stuff like that.

You've seen the Pikmin short films, right? very Pixar-esque.

So I was right and they're not releasing the NX in 2016 all along.

I think if the NX were to release in 2016 they would've said something about it by now.

There is no objective basis to support either of these statements right now. Sorry, Spyder. ;___;

Just looking at what software is currently scheduled for WiiU/3DS in Q1, it's hard to imagine some form of NX not hitting in 2016. They are blowing their load way too early otherwise.

On a side-note, we know Pikimin 4 has been in the finishing stages of development for quite awhile, maybe they are holding off release to coincide with a television show perhaps? The Miyamoto-helmed pikmin short films seemed more like test releases than one-off projects. Also, the touch-screen gameplay update to Pikmin 3 seems odd in retrospect, maybe it was developed as a feedback measure to begin work on a touch-screen focused sequel for NX (which heavily focuses on that input if patents are to be believed).

Well, there is the recent rumor of SF being delayed till July. So there's a Q2/H1 release that could be Q3 after all. I'd be shocked if NOA released a major game in their hated month of July, tho. I like your theory about the touchscreen Pikmin idea because the idea originated in Nintendo Land and was awesome there. I'll say though that Pikmin has been in part about finding your own play style and the engine for the game, if it's similar at all to Pikmin 3 which I assume it will be, I'd imagine they're using a modified Pikmin 3 engine. So for that reason a cross-platform release with many play styles on both platforms would make sense. I do think Pikmin 4 could be cross-gen, but given how long a show can take to develop I doubt they would wait to launch it till a show was ready.

They might wait till an Olimar special amiibo can be produced, though!

I also think they went with the CG style for the short films with good reason. I think they know Pikmin has more possibility of success as CG than as anime, especially around the world.

They better be serious about NEW ideas.

No more New Super Mario Bros please. No more slight additions (i.e. Mario Kart 9) or reinventing traditions in a totally predictable way (A Link Between Worlds). I want something I can't imagine - this is what you're good at Nintendo, it's when you've been your most successful and critically acclaimed (Wind Waker, Galaxy, Metroid Prime, the Wii, Wario Ware etc.). Whilst some of you might say these creations leant on the past, yes they did, but only very slightly. The success of the 3DS became far too paint by numbers in all of their franchises contemporary iterations (except perhaps SM3DL...).

Well, you'll be glad to know they plan to retire NSMB for now and return to 2D Mario next time with something completely different. I suspect you will see a mix of iterative and new concepts in core franchises as well as new IPs, as we did this gen. I wonder though if NX will be more core-focused or not, though. Will Nintendo want to make the games more accessible still, or will they give the core another go like they tried to do more so with Wii U in a lot of ways? It's up for debate at this point I suppose. I imagine as always they will try to reach a wider audience which makes me think we'll continue to get a mix of the familiar and the new, and that tutorializing while optional will still be present. The Nintendo difficulty curve of pretty easy --> tougher in last 1/3 of main game --> game ends --> hard post-game is a proven formula that will likely continue.

That sounds a bit strange. Of course, Kimishima wasn't going to share what NX details he's going to share in an interview before the official announcement :p

Mpl90 pls. Kimi is eager to drop NX details and will definitely let something slip and say "NX is releasing this year. We'll tell you more tomorrow."

imaginaryKimimicdrop.gif

If it's launching this year, there's a decent chance he'll confirm it at the Q3 results briefing in early February.

And Kimishima's end-of-year letter talked about NX, but didn't mention either Wii U or 3DS at all. That seems to be the case here as well, and while not a smoking-gun confirmation, it seems pretty telling.

Ah, good point. That letter is the proverbial smoking arm cannon, and we are all Metroids waiting to be temporarily frozen from excitement.

Ekai

I sure hope details means...a release date as well. Would be pretty damn shitty if it turns out it's not coming at all this year. Which would surprise me.

They never even specified that it would come out this year, just that they were going to talk about it. I don't get why people expected the NX to be suddenly out or something. Saw a lot of posts arguing that buying a Wii U despite wanting the games on it was pointless because the NX would be out very soon. Which is a different argument from yours that also makes no sense to me.

I'll believe it when I see it. Show me you havent lost your ideas and ambitions Nintendo. Impress me again.

They still have ideas? Loads of unique released on the Wii U. Plus there's it's overall design, etc.

I think they are very cautious about saying anything related to NX this early in the year. Many (ok, probably not that many) people just got Wii U this holiday season. They will be quite sad.

But this is Nintendo. It could easily slip into next year.

maxcriden

If somehow NX won't launch in 2016 then formally announcing it last year was quite a big mistake.

Also E3 2015 is even worse in hindsight.

That would make E3 2015 look significantly worse. I still think despite mainly only announcing NX to offset worries when they announced the smartphone games was...a bit of messy timing. But I suppose it couldn't be helped. I sure hope we get NX this year. It seems like now or never to capitalize on the NX hype and momentum. Gamers are fickle and excitement will wane and the hype will turn to discontent in part if NX doesn't come out this year.

Worried seeing the words "details" and "NX" pretty close of each other. We don't need details, we need a blowout of information, a megaton of it!!... Freaking NX will not release this year isn'it?? How is Nintendo gonna survive then?

image.php

Adan bro you always do this haha.
7022a273e44a3fb279fb736cd6138d96.png

No reason to freak out just yet!

They would have announced their big fall 2016 releases at E3 if there weren't something brewing. They had no problem showing off Mario Maker or Zelda in 2014 and Smash in 2013.

Mario Maker was originally scheduled for 2015 prior to E3. So that one was within the "we want to mainly show software launching within one year" rule. 3DW was announced the year it came out. DK: TF within one year (and planned for the same year) originally, too. So it's tough to say what the plans are exactly. They claimed at E3 last year to intentionally only show releases (planned to be) coming out within one year. So it's really tough to discern exactly if they would have mentioned Fall 2016 big Wii U only releases if there are any (I believe they are waiting to re-reveal Zelda until they reveal NX so they can show it off for both platforms. Same with Pikmin 4 possibly.)

I'm sure they at least planned to release NX this year, but there's always the possibility that their incompetent R&D can't keep up with the plans. Nintendo's become the masters of delaying in the last few years after all. The new account system was delayed too last minute (so a 2017 release would also mean that you mustn't expect too much betterment from Nintendo on the NX). Starfox might be a strategical delay now, after they found out they had to delay NX internally and are now left with another year of nothingness that has to be filled somehow. In particular in July even less people would care about that trash heap Starfox Zero, if an NX blowout happened at E3 in June.

Ekai

I'm sure they at least planned to release NX this year, but there's always the possibility that their incompetent R&D can't keep up with the plans. Nintendo's become the masters of delaying in the last few years after all. The new account system was delayed too last minute (so a 2017 release would also mean that you mustn't expect too much betterment from Nintendo on the NX). Starfox might be a strategical delay now, after they found out they had to delay NX internally and are now left with another year of nothingness that has to be filled somehow. In particular in July even less people would care about that trash heap Starfox Zero, if an NX blowout happened at E3 in June.

Bashing a game before it even comes out and doesn't even look bad either. Stay classy.

Mario Maker was originally scheduled for 2015 prior to E3. So that one was within the "we want to mainly show software launching within one year" rule.

But it was always going to come out in the fall (September) because it was the 30th anniversary game. That's well over a year after E3

maxcriden

They never even specified that it would come out this year, just that they were going to talk about it. I don't get why people expected the NX to be suddenly out or something. Saw a lot of posts arguing that buying a Wii U despite wanting the games on it was pointless because the NX would be out very soon. Which is a different argument from yours that also makes no sense to me.

We expect the NX to be out this year due to (a) less patience and tolerance for last-year-of-console droughts amongst gamers in general, and (b) significantly dwindling Wii U and 3DS sales depending on the market with fewer games coming up, as well as (c) Kimi-chan's focus on NX in his end of year letter. And (d) other stuff I'm forgetting. Oh. The Dragon Quest announcement for NX. The mysterious lack of Zelda info. The mysterious Pikmin 4 namedrop. No upcoming Retro or EAD info revealed.

I think they are very cautious about saying anything related to NX this early in the year. Many (ok, probably not that many) people just got Wii U this holiday season. They will be quite sad.

But this is Nintendo. It could easily slip into next year.

Few people will be sad, and those sad have a lot of great games to play so they'll be okay. This always happens when people get consoles near the end of their market run.

But it was always going to come out in the fall (September) because it was the 30th anniversary game.

It was actually delayed.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/29/7936365/mario-maker-wii-u-2015-nintendo

In January 2015 they moved it from H1 2015 to 2015 in general.

http://www.slashgear.com/mario-maker-delayed-will-drop-in-september-01376865/

In April 2015 they moved it to September. :)

Anime could be cool. I'd watch a Fire Emblem anime. Kind of hard imagining an anime of other ips. Zelda? Xenoblade? Pikmin?

Themepark is nice but ill probably will never be able to visit it. Maybe some walkthrough on YouTube.

Don't care about smartphone games.

I hope the NX doesn't dissapoint. Kind of the only thing Nintendo will do in the future that ill be really interested in.

Top Bottom