• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 '09 Results

DMeisterJ

Banned
This isn't a website you're linking to. You can be a bit more forthcoming with info since Im sure Nintendo doesn't care about hits on their site.

How about some DS stuff, differences YOY, profit, operating income, etc.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kenka said:
Net income took a nosedive.

35dc8hz.gif

Basically it says income is down because the yen is high and they had fewer big software titles in Q1 this year compared to last year. They pointed out Pokemon as being a big overseas contributor for DS and pointed out Wii Sports Resort came out too late to create much impact for this quarter. They mentioned Smash Bros and Mario Kart as the kind of titles they didn't have this year that they did last year.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ah, that time of the year already. Well, once again, its time to hope Kirby Wii gets a real date. Or at least not pushed back to 2010. Just got to wait for the Supplementary Information about Earnings Release.

So Nintendo made about $400 Million this quarter or am I misreading that? Sounds like a good profit to me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
590 Million DS games. To think Nintendo had only sold 2 Billion games a few years back.

That also makes the tie ratio 5.5 games per every DS ever sold.

Also, the Wii has sold 384 Million games, which is quite good IMO. That makes the Tie Ratio 7 games per system.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Drkirby said:
Also, the Wii has sold 384 Million games, which is quite good IMO. That makes the Tie Ratio 7 games per system.

That's insane for a console that's selling so quickly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, Nintendo also has a prediction on the exchange rate next year:
ratio.png

USD goes up, Euro goes down. At the moment its 1 Euro = 1.4 USD, if Nintendo is right, next year it will be 1 Euro = 1.3 USD.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TwinIonEngines said:
Net sales are flat for 'Other', that's kind of interesting.
I wonder really how many places are in other. There most likely is Australia, Korea, and China, but I wonder what other places are included.

polluar

It looks really really bad ! sales are so low... Nintendo needs to find a better strategy for the Wii if they want to boost their Wii figures. It's too late to save 2009. And New Super Mario bros Wii will not be as efficient as the SSBB, SMG combo

Wii Fit+ will not support sales as Wii Fit did, like as we can right now in Japan WSR can't levrage as many units as the original Wii Sports did. It's the end of an era

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
polluar said:
It looks really really bad ! sales are so low... Nintendo needs to find a better strategy for the Wii if they want to boost their Wii figures. It's too late to save 2009. And New Super Mario bros Wii will not be as efficient as the SSBB, SMG combo

*laughs*

You're not serious, are you?

New Super Mario Brothers Wii has a fair chance at being one of the biggest non-Wii_ games of this generation.

Drkirby said:

Very impressive, even more so considering the rate the Wii is selling at (still!)

So DS Software is down 39% in "Other", maybe what Ubisoft said about DS piracy increasing in some countries was true after all.

milanbaros

Member?
Spiegel said:
If I'm not mistaken, they'll have to ship 20 million+ Wii in three quarters to meet the forecast.

Yep, nearly 24m. They are probably banking on pent up demand at christmas and actually having the stock to supply this year.

AniHawk

polluar said:

Wii Fit+ will not support sales as Wii Fit did, like as we can right now in Japan WSR can't levrage as many units as the original Wii Sports did. It's the end of an era

SMG didn't move systems. Brawl might have, but if any combo of games sold systems outside of Wii Play and Wii Sports, it's Mario Kart and Wii Fit.

Neo C.

vanguardian1 said:
New Super Mario Brothers Wii has a fair chance at being one of the biggest non-Wii_ games of this generation.
I think he means in terms of a system seller. So far, WSR hasn't pushed the console sales either, I'm not sure if NSMBWii can change the current state.

Edit: And true, SMG and Brawl weren't big system sellers as well.

AniHawk

Neo C. said:
I think he means in terms of a system seller. So far, WSR hasn't pushed the console sales either, I'm not sure if NSMBWii can change the current state.

Edit: And true, SMG and Brawl weren't big system sellers as well.

I think NSMB has the best chance out of any game this year to sell systems. And I mean any game for any system. A far greater number of people buy 2D Marios over 3D Marios. Coop local multiplayer will sweeten the deal.

Christine

Neo C. said:

NSMBWii has a much better shot at bringing new players to Wii than Wii Sports Resort. WSR is the sequel to Wii Sports, most people that it appeals to probably already bought their Wii. NSMBWii is an incredibly popular, proven concept that doesn't already exist on the platform.

WSR's job is not to sell consoles but to sell M+ units to current Wii owners.

AniHawk said:
I think a price drop is a more likely solution. It hasn't had one ever and it's almost three years old.

I'd imagine they'd be more likely to try bundling or changing up the colors rather than cutting the price. At least based on what Iwata has been saying.

AniHawk

timetokill said:
I'd imagine they'd be more likely to try bundling or changing up the colors rather than cutting the price. At least based on what Iwata has been saying.

And I really don't like that since he's had a habit of being pretty correct for most of the generation. Systems should have price drops dammit.

Black Wii launch worldwide before xmas i expect.

I guess the launch in Japan will drive quite a few sales, and then i expect it will release alongside NSMB in Europe and USA. If Nintendo had any sense, they would launch the Black Wii alongside the Metroid 3 disc game to drive sales of that also.

AniHawk said:
And I really don't like that since he's had a habit of being pretty correct for most of the generation. Systems should have price drops dammit.
Systems should have price drops if they unperformed, which Wii hasn't yet.
I'd hate to think what numbers we'll get to once it starts to hit the $150 mark or even $99 mark in the US...!

I could definitely see a black Wii coming stateside for Christmas.

I think the gameplan for Nintendo has to be to try and get through this holiday season without a price drop. I'd be amazed if Nintendo didn't drop the price next year though...

timetokill said:
I could definitely see a black Wii coming stateside for Christmas.

I think the gameplan for Nintendo has to be to try and get through this holiday season without a price drop. I'd be amazed if Nintendo didn't drop the price next year though...

We'll get a pricedrop on Wii, once the WiiHD comes. Wii will continue to sell alongside it and Wii HD will take the Wii's pricepoint.
Although i don't envy Nintendo's next step for a console as they now have to compete with Sony and it's magic rabbit and with Natal, it's the next pack in game for whatever the next console is that i don't envy.

AniHawk

I think the super smart thing to do would be to have a NES style controller bundled with NSMB at a high price. Like $70-$80.

Does it have to be a NES styled controller as in a new form factor?

Or could it just be a "NES-themed" Wiimote, something like the stylish GBA SP?

21XMKHVNYJL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

AniHawk

timetokill said:
Does it have to be a NES styled controller as in a new form factor?

Or could it just be a "NES-themed" Wiimote, something like the stylish GBA SP?

21XMKHVNYJL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like the NES SP, right down to the same texture as the NES pad.

farnham

Banned
so europe was the region that had the most wii sales the first quarter in 2009

does this invalidate the UK numbers we saw earlier ??

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
polluar said:

Well, pack it up Nintendo, it's all over for you this gen.

Nintendo to go 3rd-party confirmed.

Vagabundo

AniHawk said:
I think the super smart thing to do would be to have a NES style controller bundled with NSMB at a high price. Like $70-$80.

Accessories really sell well bundled with games on the Wii. This could be an option.

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
but why would anyone need a 5th wii mote..?

operon

Multicolored wii would def sell well to Nintendo's target market..
Where all the gifs with money and nintendo, maybe they should go into money lending.

Top Bottom