• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 '09 Results

Johann

axiomnightmare said:
Does anyone think a pricecut will ever come? Or will Nintendo just keep rebundling and repackaging stuff?

Nintendo believes a pricecut will ultimately harm the sale of current and future hardware and software. They believe consumers will think they are better off waiting for a potential pricedrop rather than buying the full-priced system/game as early as possible.

A price-drop will the last resort after compelling software, re-packaging, and different colors.

swerve

axiomnightmare said:
Does anyone think a pricecut will ever come? Or will Nintendo just keep rebundling and repackaging stuff?

Well, there's a good argument for suggesting Iwata will never want to make a price cut - he's stated many times he believes in improving the value proposition with interesting new software.

But on the flipside, he'll have no choice if he starts failing to find interesting new software.

So we'll know more when we've seen more about what they are releasing over the next year.

Vagabundo

They will add value rather than price cut; so you might see more remote's or a SMG/Zelda bundle - if they don't already exist, I've not been paying attention.

I'm disappointed N havent been moneyhatting some western devs, very disappointed.

[Nintex]

Well, I guess that's what happens if a software company stops releasing new software worth a damn for 13 months(the gap between SSBB and WRS in Europe).

Sadist

[Nintex] said:
Well, I guess that's what happens if a software company stops releasing new software worth a damn for 13 months(the gap between SSBB and WRS in Europe).
Punch-Out isn't worth a damn? :'(

[Nintex] said:
The scary thing is that they still made money hand-over-fist. This is what makes being a Nintendo customer frustrating. They don't need you, and it's all too apparent.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
[Nintex] said:
Well, I guess that's what happens if a software company stops releasing new software that I want for 13 months(the gap between SSBB and WRS in Europe).

Fixed for accuracy.

[Nintex] said:

Do you mean sales-wise? Because they have released Wario Land, Punchout, Another Code and Excitebots in that gap. Pretty good games, half of which sold fine, the other half bombed.

upandaway

DefectiveReject said:
We'll get a pricedrop on Wii, once the WiiHD comes. Wii will continue to sell alongside it and Wii HD will take the Wii's pricepoint.
Although i don't envy Nintendo's next step for a console as they now have to compete with Sony and it's magic rabbit and with Natal, it's the next pack in game for whatever the next console is that i don't envy.
You're funny.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ulairi said:
Did anyone expect the Wii to maintain the prior numbers?
Nintendo did not lower their shipment expectations for this fiscal year, so they think they can maintain the prior numbers with their upcoming lineup. The three-punch-combo Wii Sports Resort/WiiFit Plus/NSMB could do wonders this Christmas. It will be interesting to watch.

JCngplus

Neo Member
I think Nintendo will have to either release another as I call "all-star" Wii title. Wii Sports Resort is generating interest in Wii again, and it'll help place Wii as the #1 system this holiday, along with Wii Fit Plus. But, honestly, I don't see what else they could possibly do for the so-called "casual" crowd after this holiday. I'm not pandering to this stupid debate, but maybe they'll have to bring out some heavy-hitters in the next three years. We already have Galaxy 2, Metroid, and Zelda up and coming, along with all the (non-existent?) VC games and WiiWare. Besides, wasn't their whole plan to take these "casual" gamers and slowly introduce them to other core franchises like Mario/Zelda, ergo making more money off new and old (VC) releases? Also, Nintendo might also have to consider bringing some of those Japan-exclusive channels over here to keep every family's Wii "the center of attention."

For DS, well, just keep the good games coming. DSi might actually pick up this holiday season, however slightly. I can't imagine it being a huge sellout. But, eh. I won't be compelled to pick one up unless something meaningful can be downloaded from its service, just like Wii.

But, I trust Nintendo has something up its mighty sleeve. They always do. Who do we think they are? XD Sure, sales took a bit of a dive, but what did you expect? It wasn't a huge year for Wii. 2010 will do that. (Didn't we all say 2009 would be "year of the Wii"? :p)

Christine

marc^o^ said:
Nintendo did not lower their shipment expectations for this fiscal year, so they think they can maintain the prior numbers with their upcoming lineup. The three-punch-combo Wii Sports Resort/WiiFit Plus/NSMB could do wonders this Christmas. It will be interesting to watch.

It's not inconceivable, especially in the U.S. The pressure of recession on entertainment spending in Nintendo's product space may serve to consolidate sales into the holiday season more than it creates an absolute drop in demand. I certainly don't expect them to be down anywhere near 60% year-on-year by the end of 2009.

Jokeropia

BrokenSymmetry said:
Wii sales in "The Americas" from 2,500,000 in Q1 2008, to 880,000 in Q1 2009. That sure is a huge drop.
Sales in USA for the period (April - June 2009) was about 1 million, so they had some Wiis left from the previous shipment.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Neo C. said:
I think he means in terms of a system seller. So far, WSR hasn't pushed the console sales either, I'm not sure if NSMBWii can change the current state.

Edit: And true, SMG and Brawl weren't big system sellers as well.

How could you tell? The system cant sell more than sold out. You have no way of telling if Smash or Galaxy affected sales.

gkryhewy

On the bright side, these quarterly results will probably make next year's quarterly results for the same period look amazing by comparison :lol

(I am a shareholder in the red, but enjoying the dividends in the meantime).

upandaway

Because I'm not really up to doing it myself, please everyone put "I assume" in front of every sentence in this post. Thanks.
But I guess that goes to every single post on this forum

JCngplus said:
I think Nintendo will have to either release another as I call "all-star" Wii title. Wii Sports Resort is generating interest in Wii again, and it'll help place Wii as the #1 system this holiday, along with Wii Fit Plus. But, honestly, I don't see what else they could possibly do for the so-called "casual" crowd after this holiday. I'm not pandering to this stupid debate, but maybe they'll have to bring out some heavy-hitters in the next three years. We already have Galaxy 2, Metroid, and Zelda up and coming, along with all the (non-existent?) VC games and WiiWare. Besides, wasn't their whole plan to take these "casual" gamers and slowly introduce them to other core franchises like Mario/Zelda, ergo making more money off new and old (VC) releases? Also, Nintendo might also have to consider bringing some of those Japan-exclusive channels over here to keep every family's Wii "the center of attention."
Wii Sports Resort is not generating interest in the Wii. It's generating interest in motion controls in the core crowd (and no one bring reviews up, I'm talking about actual customers here).

Galaxy 2 and Metroid are there because of the screams and yells people let out following E3 2008. Zelda was supposed to be there for the same reason, but a bit of me thinks (and hopes they look at the original as a hint for it) Nintendo will make use of Zelda in their disruptive strategy, i.e. interface and approach.
NSMB Wii is just Nintendo realizing that the only competition is Little Big Planet. It had to happen sometime, I mean, it took them 15 years and NSMB's absolutely insane sales.

The "core" gamers that Nintendo want to make out of the "casual" gamers will not be the core gamers of our types, they will be core gamers who play Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus (the new core games). Nintendo are essentially transforming both old core and new casual into a new core that will help them stand on their next disruption.

HK-47 said:
How could you tell? The system cant sell more than sold out. You have no way of telling if Smash or Galaxy affected sales.
Rather than looking at the months the game came out in, look at the months following. If the sales hold up, the game is a system seller because it consistently sells at a pace similar to the pace the Wii is selling at. Meaning, people who buy the Wii buy the game = they bought a Wii to play the game.
Brawl is close, but on a much smaller scale than the bigger Wii titles, and Galaxy was just "puff" out. Especially in Japan.

MoogPaul

Pretty sure NSMB Wii has something to do with the millions upon millions of sales the DS version had and absolutely nothing to do with LittleBigPlanet.

It's interesting that they're still forecasting the sale of 26,000,000 Wii this financial year. I wonder if they have something unexpected in store.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bmf said:
It's interesting that they're still forecasting the sale of 26,000,000 Wii this financial year. I wonder if they have something unexpected in store.

Yeah I think it is very very unlikely that they reach that goal, even with Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii.

Vinci

Danish
MoogPaul said:
Pretty sure NSMB Wii has something to do with the millions upon millions of sales the DS version had and absolutely nothing to do with LittleBigPlanet.

I would say this as well. NSMB DS has been a damn juggernaut. People kept asking for a sequel - well, now they have one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
When do we usually get that chart that tells us the number of first party and third party million sellers?

deathkiller said:
So DS Software is down 39% in "Other", maybe what Ubisoft said about DS piracy increasing in some countries was true after all.
What DS games made by Ubisoft are worth it besides Dawn of Discovery (Anno)? Imagine Babiez? Imagine Horzez?

Those casuals only buy those games ONEZ! They are not rebuyer if the content is kinda similar. That caused Ubisofts nosedive sells wise.

Even if there is a 50% cut in sales for Nintendo those numbers are impressive. Especially those 107mio DS'.
Because we are talking about new value of the Wii package: Any news on the new Wii remotes with included WM+? Is this even planned? I thought it was. This would make a nice package:
Wii
2 Wiimotes with included WM+ Addon
2 Nunchuk
1000WiiPoints
scratch card with random Wiiware/VC Code for a game
WiiSports & WiiSports Resort

upandaway said:
NSMB Wii is just Nintendo realizing that the only competition is Little Big Planet.
LOL, whut?

Unless NSMB Wii has a robust level editor we don't know about (that would be fucking awesome), it's a pipe dream to think LBP forced the hand of Nintendo to release NSMB Wii.

Opiate

Very bad news for Nintendo. Stock is down precipitously today. These results are significantly below expectations.

Jokeropia

Opiate said:
Very bad news for Nintendo. Stock is down precipitously today. These results are significantly below expectations.
You're overstating the importance of stock. Profit is by far the most important thing.

gerg

Opiate said:

I don't think it can get much worse than this though, if it can get worse at all. Wii sales have stabilised in the US and in Japan they've gotten better (although admittedly not by much, MH3 and the black Wii are just around the corner). We don't know how they're faring in Europe since the GAME report was published. Nintendo's not exactly in the worst position one can be and still say "it can only get better from here".

Opiate

Jokeropia said:
You're overstating the importance of stock. Profit is by far the most important thing.

No, I'm using stock as a gauge of expectations.

I'm not judging by stock, but I'm also not judging exclusively by profit, either. Other major concerns are growth and sustainability.

Nintendo still has the profit, but not the growth or sustainability. They could get them back -- I'm not suggesting these are permanent issues -- I'm just saying that they aren't there for this particular quarter in this particular year.

JCngplus

Neo Member
upandaway said:
Wii Sports Resort is not generating interest in the Wii. It's generating interest in motion controls in the core crowd (and no one bring reviews up, I'm talking about actual customers here).

Galaxy 2 and Metroid are there because of the screams and yells people let out following E3 2008. Zelda was supposed to be there for the same reason, but a bit of me thinks (and hopes they look at the original as a hint for it) Nintendo will make use of Zelda in their disruptive strategy, i.e. interface and approach.
NSMB Wii is just Nintendo realizing that the only competition is Little Big Planet. It had to happen sometime, I mean, it took them 15 years and NSMB's absolutely insane sales.

The "core" gamers that Nintendo want to make out of the "casual" gamers will not be the core gamers of our types, they will be core gamers who play Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus (the new core games). Nintendo are essentially transforming both old core and new casual into a new core that will help them stand on their next disruption.

Hmm...either way, after throwing a whole event in Times Square and the already large popularity that Wii has, I think it'll do nothing but grow. Nintendo's obviously interested in marketing these types of games in all this glitz and glamor, so it'll still, either directly or indirectly, give rise to an even large interest in Wii. We'll see just how well Resort did with next month's NPD, so long as we're not talking about reviews. ;-)

Eh, so what if they won't be of our types? The main goal would be what I said before, because that just means more money for Nintendo in the end. But, if one person is so concerned about the "casual takeover, omg" they should just worry about what games are coming their way for whatever console they have, or just be quiet. Nintendo's "expanded market" will truly be put the test next generation. Wii's done its job, so they'll play it out for as long as possible. So, a drop in sales here or there doesn't mean much. Besides, it's the summer. Gaming doesn't do well now.

This response to the dip in sales is just a knee-jerk reaction. Nintendo will be back on top soon enough, like it or not.

rpmurphy

I'm surprised at the increase in sales of DS and DS software in Japan. I guess the recession has helped to moved handheld sales because of the lower costs.

Also interesting to note that they are continuing to hire more people despite the recession and decreased revenue. End of fiscal year report (03/31/09) showed # employees at 4130, and now at 4306.

Vinci

Danish
JCngplus said:
Besides, it's the summer. Gaming doesn't do well now.

The Wii has done enormously well in the summer, every summer if I'm not mistaken, in the past. We're not comparing the Wii to other consoles anymore at this point; in a comparison to itself, it's not doing very well right now. Not that it's particularly surprising. Economy mixed with Nintendo doing little in the big release department and having so few 3rd party games of quality to back them up will do that to a system. Even this one.

Jokeropia

Opiate said:

I'm not judging by stock, but I'm also not judging exclusively by profit, either. Other major concerns are growth and sustainability
Growth and sustainability, aka maintaining profit at ridiculously high record levels, is not as important as maintaining profit period. They're in no danger of having to downsize or anything.

Opiate said:

I'm not judging by stock, but I'm also not judging exclusively by profit, either. Other major concerns are growth and sustainability.

Nintendo still has the profit, but not the growth or sustainability. They could get them back -- I'm not suggesting these are permanent issues -- I'm just saying that they aren't there for this particular quarter in this particular year.
Nintendo's stock on the Nikkei closed at +2.5% today.

Opiate said:
Uh, oh. I saw a report that said it was down 13%.

Hm. I lose.
I think you saw yesterday's info. It fell bad yesterday, but today it was right back up to normal with a few points for garnish.

Not taking away anything from the fact that Nintendo did come in under expectations, though. That's true.

NRiQ

Banned
One of the things nintendo should do it's put inside every box a 2000 or 5000 Nintendo Points Card and a catalogue with the most downloaded games in the VC and WiiWare, that would not only be very good added value to the console but it will boost the use of internet connection and even more the sales of the VC and Wiiware...

donny2112

WII_Shipments-1.png

WII_Shipments_percent-1.png

NRiQ said:
One of the things nintendo should do it's put inside every box a 2000 or 5000 Nintendo Points Card and a catalogue with the most downloaded games in the VC and WiiWare, that would not only be very good added value to the console but it will boost the use of internet connection and even more the sales of the VC and Wiiware...
Nintendo could be exploring that in a different was as the "Get your wii connected" video channel thing that apppears on all new Wiis and also the 1000 free DSi points you get when connecting to the DSi shop for the first time show.

Though with the DSi points I have a feeling Nintendo wants to keep that a gift for the early consumers (kind of like how the free internet browser was for the Wii).

I'm curious to see if either of those avenues has done anything to boost connectivity and retruning customers to the shop services.

Still what is it with companies putting out underachieving fiscal reports for periods right before their big titles hit?

upandaway

donkey show said:
LOL, whut?

Unless NSMB Wii has a robust level editor we don't know about (that would be fucking awesome), it's a pipe dream to think LBP forced the hand of Nintendo to release NSMB Wii.
Vinci said:
I would say this as well. NSMB DS has been a damn juggernaut. People kept asking for a sequel - well, now they have one.
MoogPaul said:
That's exactly what I said. What do you want from me?

My point was that Nintendo was avoiding releasing a 2D Mario on consoles, and because of the sales of NSMB as well as the fact there is no competition (to which I meant by mentioning that the only competition is LBP, I thought it was obvious enough), they decided to use a 2D Mario as a "rescuer" of some sort for 2009 (cheap to develop and easy to sell).

By saying the only competition is LBP, I essentially said there is no competitor on the market that can threaten NSMB Wii sales. Not only because LBP is so different, but also because it's a failure.

upandaway

BishopLamont said:
It's not considered competition if it's different and a supposed failure.
Forget I mentioned LBP. At all. NSMB Wii has no competition. There.

God, you guys are all kinds of things sometimes.

rpmurphy

It's definitely within the realm of possibility though that LBP has influenced Nintendo's interest in developing NSMB Wii. Didn't Miyamoto say positive things about the game before?

Parl

rpmurphy said:
It's definitely within the realm of possibility though that LBP has influenced Nintendo's interest in developing NSMB Wii. Didn't Miyamoto say positive things about the game before?
I think that the massive gap for platformers in the Wii market, and the massive popularity of 2D Mario titles are obviously the reasons why they made a sequel on Wii. A sequel on DS would have meant massive sales, but little to nothing in terms of hardware boost unless the game was vastly different. Wii doesn't have a mass market 2D platformer.

Lots of things are within the realm of possiblity, like Sony making GT5 because of PGR, but it's really because of how successful the franchise is and the system selling potential of GT on a system that it's not already on.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Yeah I think it is very very unlikely that they reach that goal, even with Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii.

Then would'nt they have revised it down? Nintendo is very conservative and keeping that big a goal and having it not be met will look worse from a financial standpoint.

I would not be surprised if they had one mega game that we were not told about to come out at Christmas (outside NSMB Wii), we tend to only get a 2-3 month window for their game releases as is

And Gamestop said that Nintendo was going to need a lot of shelf space, could be for WF+ and NSMB Wii, or it could be for a surprise title.

Top Bottom