• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q2: Wii U 300k (LTD: 3.91M)

Horrid. And wtf they are still going with the 9mil target? :S

No one really knows. Even if every gamer in the world spontaneously decides they need the new Mario game, it would be difficult for them to find enough retailers who would accept enough supply to make shipping that many units possible, and that's talking a fantasy scenario where everyone completely blows off the PS4 and X-Box One to pick up Wii-U's.

The far more likely scenario is that retailers further reduce Wii-U allotments because they want to make room for the new consoles but still move a respectable amount of PS3/360 stock, making the Wii-U the odd man out. They would be in good shape to even manage to ship as many units as they did last year, much less two and a half times as many.

Zalman

The only good thing we can expect from this is panic Nintendo's emergency Nintendo Direct.
If anything, I expect that to happen around January and February just like this year. We had that amazing Direct that got everyone hyped. Let's have one of those again!

Why would they do that? It's ridiculous that people continue to think this will happen. They have shown their hand for the near future. They can't suddenly magic new games to exist, and if they reveal stuff too early, people will lose interest.

Because Panic Nintendo is best Nintendo.

Kuro

At this rate Nintendo is going to have to secure a GTAVI exclusive for the WII U to bounce back. Or just release that Pokemon MMO everyone is waiting for.

liger05

I don't understand why they haven't changed the forecast. They have done so in the past with the 3DS yet for some insane reason not this time with the wii u. The console is dead!!!

Striek

Nearly 4 million sales in a quarter for the 3DS is bad?
2.5 million, and yeah. Its significantly down YoY for the fourth quarter in a row and its not like the 3DS was doing gangbusters to begin with. Combined with the DS being practically non-existant competition now its the least handhelds Nintendo has shipped in Q2 in a long, loooong time.

antonz

This is part of Nintendo's problem.

They post disastrous report then rush to twitter to remind everyone Wii Street U wont be free anymore after tomorrow.

任天堂株式会社 ‏@Nintendo 2m
かねてよりお知らせしておりましたとおり、11月1日より『Wii Street U powered by Google』の価格が500円(税込)になります。10月31日までは無料でダウンロードいただけますので、ご興味のある方はお早めにお試しください。

Why not have something to inspire confidence in the pipeline. These results weren't unexpected.

B.O.O.M

No one really knows. Even if every gamer in the world spontaneously decides they need the new Mario game, it would be difficult for them to find enough retailers who would accept enough supply to make shipping that many units possible, and that's talking a fantasy scenario where everyone completely blows off the PS4 and X-Box One to pick up Wii-U's.

The far more likely scenario is that retailers further reduce Wii-U allotments because they want to make room for the new consoles but still move a respectable amount of PS3/360 stock, making the Wii-U the odd man out. They would be in good shape to even manage to ship as many units as they did last year, much less two and a half times as many.

Yeah exactly. With two more consoles joining the market things won't get any easier. I'm surprised they haven't reduced the target number...it's going to end up missing it by an embarrassing amount.

Kazerei

Banned
Well, uhh, if you want some positive spin, the Wii U software/hardware tie ratio increased from 4.0 to 5.0 across Q2. That's all I got.

sYb0L23.png

JoeM86

It really is, but it's way too late. 3 months after its release people were already talking about the PS4, the conversation changed and so did people's attention. Nintendo didn't do themselves any favoures with the huge drought in good software.

Every console has droughts following launch. It's illogical to assume PS4 and Xbox One will not have one, too.

That 18M 3DS forecast probably needs revising too. I can't really see even Pokemon and 2DS shooting it up to that level.I'm not sure how 2.49M is nearly 4M.

The 18M is for all 3DS versions, right? Despite the initial pessimism, the 2DS actually seems to be finding a market, and Japanese 3DS sales are remaining very high even with sales of Pokemon itself falling off heavily. They might be able to manage it.

They sold 3.89M ;)
Yes... in 6 months, not in the last quarter.
The 18M is for all 3DS versions, right? Despite the initial pessimism, the 2DS actually seems to be finding a market, and Japanese 3DS sales are remaining very high even with sales of Pokemon itself falling off heavily. They might be able to manage it.
I think the 2DS is a sales winner, a very good move considering the reality is no one cares about 3D but people care about price. I still don't think it can push them to 18M.

jonno394

That 18M 3DS forecast probably needs revising too. I can't really see even Pokemon and 2DS shooting it up to that level.I'm not sure how 2.49M is nearly 4M.

2.5 million, and yeah. Its significantly down YoY for the fourth quarter in a row and its not like the 3DS was doing gangbusters to begin with. Combined with the DS being practically non-existant competition now its the least handhelds Nintendo has shipped in Q2 in a long, loooong time.

You might wanna re read the numbers

L Thammy

ЯAW;88039847 said:
I guess all hope for any kind of decent 3rd party support is lost? Or maybe there wasn't any hope from the start. I'm probably going to end up buying the dam thing anyway, that one JRPG looks great.

Well, the lack of third parties is partially responsible for this situation in the first place. Nintendo has spent several generations letting third parties be wooed by competitors.

At any rate, something has to happen, if just because Nintendo can't keep on doing this.

Omzz

Bottom line is net income, that is true. But the operating loss is a better indicator of where the business is heading. Wii U continuing to have numbers like these will only weigh them further down.

The 3DS is doing well that is a positive. They better step it up in the Wii U if they even want to sniff that forecast

Kenka

I think the most alarming issue in these earnings is that 3DS might not even reach 50M units sold by the end of its lifetime. If Pokémon, Monster Hunter, Friend Collection or any other high-profile software doesn't fuel its sales like it should this holiday and next year, we are in for a major disappointment, LTD-wise.

liger05

Every console has droughts following launch. It's illogical to assume PS4 and Xbox One will not have one, too.

The wii u drought was beyond ridiculous. Third party releases skipped the wii u and there was very little Nintendo software. There is no way the new xbox and ps4 will suffer a drought like that!

jonno394

Thats for the first half, not the second quarter.

You might want to follow your advice.

Where did you get 2.49 m from? That figure is related to animal crossing

edit - ah just seen the new graphics i was getting numbers from someones text quotes. my mistake and apologies

AniHawk

yeah the 3ds is going to have to start taking off like the ds/wii in the us and europe if it's going to hit 18m for the fiscal year. 16m might still be doable. tough, but doable.

as far as the wii u is concerned, hitting 5m for the year would be pretty good. and in all honesty it would mark a gigantic turnaround for the system if it could start selling millions of units in a quarter.

Nikodemos

I don't understand why they haven't changed the forecast. They have done so in the past with the 3DS yet for some insane reason not this time with the wii u. The console is dead!!!
Because slashing it from 9 million to a more plausible 3 million would force Iwata's ass to vacate the comfy chair he's in ATM.

narton

I think the bigger story is the slumping 3DS hardware sales for the summer. They're not gonna meet its lofty goals either. This will be their best 3DS christmas, no doubt. They'll be kinda short on hardware, but probably way behind on software. Software was up for the summer, thanks to New Leaf though.

You might wanna re read the numbers

That's for two quarters = 6 months.

I think the most alarming issue in these earnings is that 3DS might not even reach 50M units sold by the end of its lifetime. If Pokémon, Monster Hunter, Friend Collection or any other high-profile software doesn't fuel its sales like it should this holiday and next year, we are in for a major disappointment, LTD-wise.
lol wat.

Atram

yeah the 3ds is going to have to start taking off like the ds/wii in the us and europe if it's going to hit 18m for the fiscal year. 16m might still be doable. tough, but doable.

as far as the wii u is concerned, hitting 5m for the year would be pretty good. and in all honesty it would mark a gigantic turnaround for the system if it could start selling millions of units in a quarter.

14M, this is the second quarter....

antonz

I think the most alarming issue in these earnings is that 3DS might not even reach 50M units sold by the end of its lifetime. If Pokémon, Monster Hunter, Friend Collection or any other high-profile software doesn't fuel its saless like it should, we are in for a major disappointment, LTD-wise.

It will be over 40 million by the end of the Fiscal Year with 2-3 years left in its life. 60-70 million is likely where it will end at.

Striek

Yes but this is the important one for the 18M Forecast.

The important take-away from that is they're down 1.2M for the 1H, and they want to be 4M up for the year, meaning they need to sell 5.2M more in the 2H than they did last year when (admittedly pre-Pokemon) they've been trending negatively.

Where did you get 2.49 m from? That figure is related to animal crossing

Parmenides' brilliant charts in the OP and Nintendos financial report.

B.O.O.M

It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as the wiiu that's for sure. We already have a good idea of the titles that will be coming in the first half of next year for PS4 and Xbone

Actual third party support does wonders in situations like these

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Terrible.

I just can't get over how much unsold inventories they have. It's mind-boggling.

With these results. I'm expecting an operating profit of 20 billion yen by year-end and even so, that is bullish with the information provided today.

$h@d0w

The mobile bubble is going to bust soon, Gung Ho's puzzle and dragons profit is down.

2DS is going to double 3DS install base

the king is back to rule android and apple

nintendo familt 4 life.

Yes but this is the important one for the 18M Forecast.
I'm not sure how exactly it's the particularly important number compared to looking at the last quarter. But if you want to look at that number sure. 3.89M in 6m, meaning 14.11M for the remaining 6m of the FY.

The 3DS needs to sell in the remaining 6 months of the fiscal year more than it has in it's past two full fiscal years to reach the 18M forecast, and I just don't see it happening.

JoeM86

It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as the wiiu that's for sure. We already have a good idea of the titles that will be coming in the first half of next year for PS4 and Xbone

Actual third party support does wonders in situations like these

It's a shame that Nintendo would never receive third party support. Nintendo could bring out a console more powerful than the PS4 and sell it for $200 and third parties would still be reluctant.
So Europe is the first place we will see retailers ditch the wii u?

Where the frak are you getting this crap from?

Top Bottom