• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

KHlover

Banned
High hopes for Xenoblade.

I don't think they got the highest hopes for Splatoon or Devil 3rd.

Nintendo are pushing Splatoon like crazy (compared to their marketing efforts for other games at least), pretty sure they do have high hopes for it.

E-phonk

Banned
So they're forecasting a ~12% decrease in 3DS hardware/software, but basically expecting the Wii U to be flat for hardware/software.

For Wii U, what are they actually expecting to compare to Smash/Mario Kart? I assume not all of that is extreme optimism on Zelda. Mario Maker maybe?

Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing. 249 bundled officially after E3, with special retailer deals in nov/dec at 199 for the holidays.
We'll know in a few weeks.

I don't have high sales hopes for starfox (sorry gaf). Xeno will do "ok" for a RPG, especially in the west, splatoon should be a million seller and might attract a new audience, it's their wildcard and animal crossing is the only game I can see pulling their holiday season. Mario Maker will do decent, but maybe not as much as mainline mario titles.

I could have sworn someone (Bill Trinen?) said that there would be no major mainline Mario release this year. I could be remembering incorrectly though and that person was talking about 2014.

Miyamoto hinted at it in an interview.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/1...ill-most-likely-be-on-nintendos-next-console/

Yall should becareful last year you guys were wondering about 3DS and about 2 hours later they announced Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I remeber it like yesterday.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
There will likely be some Mario game this holiday season.

I could have sworn someone (Bill Trinen?) said that there would be no major mainline Mario release this year. I could be remembering incorrectly though and that person was talking about 2014.

I think so too, well I'm hoping that is.

Personally, the newly announced forecast for FY16 seems extremely bullish judging on what is expected from the company; though further details on QOL & mobile is needed too.

Nintendo been doing this for basically the last 5 years. Starts the new fiscal year with some unrelastic forecast and then lower it down the road.

Either it is intentional or they really suck at forecasting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yall should becareful last year you guys were wondering about 3DS and about 2 hours later they announced Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I remeber it like yesterday.

Well, I mean, 25 million units is a pretty tiny amount of software for an entire platform in a year, so it wouldn't take much to get it there, but unless they're insane it's presumably notably dependent on something unannounced.

AniHawk

is this the most legit profit they've seen since like 2010? i mean one where they werent saved by the taxes and just barely profited because of it

they made good money in 2011 (year ending 2011), but were hurt by the exchange rate. consider 2013 a sort of balancing of that.

net income goes something like:

2011: big profit
2012: big loss
2013: tidy profit
2014: big loss
2015: big profit

Significant reduction in cost of sales, HW/SW revenue mix didn't change that markedly though, so presumably product margins have improved.

SG&A down, seems mostly attributable to reduction in advertising expense.

EDIT: Operating income is what people should be looking at anyway. And this is the first year since 2011 that they've posted operating income, which is good.

Mory Dunz

Is Sunshine HD major though? ;)

Anyway, for some reason I thought the LTDs for Wii U and 3DS were higher. I thought the Wii U was at 10 mill and the 3DS was nearing 60. I think it's due to general approximations in NPD threads becoming like fact in my head.

How close is MM3D to ALBW?

Ray Down

Banned
Nintendo are pushing Splatoon like crazy (compared to their marketing efforts for other games at least), pretty sure they do have high hopes for it.

Have they really? I really haven't seen much personally.

If so that doesn't mean it will be successful as they want it to be.

With this being a new IP and being on the console it on, I have reservations on if it will reach there expectations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's funny that now that nintendo is making profit. All the fire Iwata people is much less common now.

What would they want him fired over at this point?

He caved on almost every issue. Nintendo's going on mobile. They're embracing free 2 play. They announced a new platform. They're going in heavily on merchandizing. They're continuing to increase the prominent of digital revenue. They're diversifying their product lines.

Pretty much every demand was met.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Mario Kart and Smash sold a combined 8.76 million units ignoring everything else that released this fiscal year.

Yeah, but they didn't set the world on fire in terms of hardware sales. I don't find now the quarter comparison, but at list based on the NA data Wii U is selling this year constantly better than last year. This will be offset by the MK8 May and June, but overall they can still sell quite the same this year. Except for Japan which they should finally stop focusing on for their consoles.
SSB Wii U doesn't seem to be to much above the regular Mario game in terms of selling hardware, so the holiday should quite the same this year.

I also think that it's time for a price cut.

Well, I mean, 25 million units is a pretty tiny amount of software for an entire platform in a year, so it wouldn't take much to get it there, but unless they're insane it's presumably notably dependent on something unannounced.
Yeah although unlike for 3DS Wii U stuff only gets announced at e3. Maybe they will reveal e3 plans soon hinting at another unnanouced Wii U game releasing this year that we will all guess before e3 even comes. ;)

Is it me or is this implying more Mario Kart 8 DLC?

CEYp4vFWgAAFHU9.jpg

I think it was already confirmed that MK8 is going to have more DLC.

random25

Their original forecast for 3DS hw was 12 million if I remember right. They just lowered it after Q3 results.

I'm aware of that, but then again take note that at the end of Q3 the 3DS numbers is sitting at around 7.08M, almost 2M behind the forecast. And Q4 of previous years weren't really a good indication of selling around 2M units, hence the justified skepticism of the revised forecast still too high.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Nintendo can never be stopped. We must appease the God and hope hat it shines glory onto our feeble souls.

Mario Kart 8 is a juggernaut, and I did my part with the new DLC pack. Hell if pay $60 for Baby Park.

AniHawk

Yeah, but they didn't set the world on fire in terms of hardware sales. I don't find now the quarter comparison, but at list based on the NA data Wii U is selling this year constantly better than last year. This will be offset by the MK8 May and June, but still overall they can still quite the same for the year. Except for Japan which they should finally stop focusing on for their consoles.
SSB Wii U doesn't seem to be to much above the regular Mario game in terms of selling hardware, so the holiday should quite the same this year.

I also think that it's time for a price cut.

if they are rolling out the dena games and the qol platform, they could offset the small damage taken by a $50 price cut.

AniHawk

What would they want him fired over at this point?

He caved on almost every issue. Nintendo's going on mobile. They're embracing free 2 play. They announced a new platform. They're going in heavily on merchandizing. They're continuing to increase the prominent of digital revenue. They're diversifying their product lines.

Pretty much every demand was met.

all that is well and good, but he's still not fired, and that was the most important thing.

Was just listening to BBC 5 Live, with the news, "Nintendo has recorded a profit for the first time in four years. Sales of the Wii have been picking up."

KHlover

Banned

With this being a new IP and being on the console it on, I have reservations on if it will reach there expectations.

Just to name a few: EDGE cover, Art contests, Splatoon fest, post-launch support, lots of preview coverage on the big gaming sites and who could forget the "Nintendo invited Playboy to play Splatoon" controversy :)

Don't know if they started airing TV spots yet, but those should be happening pretty soon in any case.

E-phonk

Banned

I've seen commercials for splatoon in europe in airports etc since last month. For a nintendo game that releases end of may that's making an effort for them.

Technically DLC Pack 2 released in FY15 (April 2015), so this doesn't have to mean anything. At some point, the team does need to move over to the next portable/hardware, but if the DLC team is small enough, it wouldn't be that surprising if we got maybe one more pack (Battle Mode expansion?) this holiday season.

Didn't Iwata recently confirm that MK8 DLC only required limited resources? I can't find the quote anymore.

I think it was already confirmed that MK8 is going to have more DLC.
Where?

Also, the recent release of the original soundtrack (game + DLC1 + DLC2) could mean there's no more DLC coming, or at least no more DLC that includes new tracks.

Mory Dunz

Just to name a few: EDGE cover, Art contests, Splatoon fest, post-launch support, lots of preview coverage on the big gaming sites and who could forget the "Nintendo invited Playboy to play Splatoon" controversy :)

Don't know if they started airing TV spots yet, but those should be happening pretty soon in any case.

I'm not sure if this a TV ad or online...:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2pd0CSih5s

I don't know what emotion to feel. There's no family playing to show me.

Bruno MB

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49      7.76    0.59      12.24    43.33

FY 2014/15     0.82     1.27      4.99    1.65      8.73     52.06 

FY 2015/16 (forecast)                               7.60     59.66

Another extremely optimistic 3DS sales projections. Even if by some miracle they ended up being very close to reality, 3DS would still be under 60 million units sold after 5 years in the market. The chances of catching Game Boy Advance or PlayStation Portable were evidently long gone, but it's very disappointing to see that its ceiling is at around 65 million units sold by the end of its commercial run.

Indeed. I said when they announced it that it was too soon and would cut XY's sales a lot

Yup, if it's lucky it might hit 14 million, which would only be a 1.6 million drop from Black and White. I wonder if ORAS can reach HGSS's 12.72, I'm hopeful that it will reach at least 11.

Diffense

It seems that, this time, hw and sw forecasts were basically met...?

Also:

Super Smash Bros 3DS LTD: 6.75 million
Super Smash Bros Wii U LTD: 3.65 million

= 10.4 million

The fastest selling entry in the series, chasing Brawl numbers that are officially at 11.49 million worldwide. Also, DLC should bring additional revenues. I hope SSB4 is going to be a DLC platform for the next years, which would lead to an expansion of the game.

I was looking at Smash and Kart historical numbers and found it interesting that Melee sold 7+ million and brawl sold 11+million while Wii sold over 100 million and GC was probably about 1/5 of that. Contrast that to Mario Kart Wii which sold a whopping 35+ million. Mario Kart took fine advantage of all the Wii's expanded userbase (are belong to kart :D ).

It says something about the different appeal of the two franchises and makes me want to side with those who complain about Smash being changed to appeal less to them. It would seem that the natural audience profile is closer to their demographic than to the people who would find the game more accessible due to the changes.

Anyway, good to see Nintendo chugging along. Sometimes they make strange decisions but I still want them around. It's a good thing that the guy in charge was a game developer. Hopefully that'll make them less likely to pull a Konami...lol

AniHawk

Another extremely optimistic 3DS sales projections. Even if by some miracle they ended up being very close to reality, 3DS would still be under 60 million units sold after 5 years in the market. The chances of catching Game Boy Advance or PlayStation Portable were evidently long gone, but it's very disappointing to see that its ceiling is at around 65 million units sold by the end of its commercial run.

3ds sales essentially dragged nintendo's handheld line to pre-pokemon game boy. that thing did 54m units from april 1989 to march 1996. april 1997-2002, the machine sold 64m units (thanks to pokemon, the game boy pocket, and especially the game boy color).

Roo

65 million is very disappointing?
I think it's quite remarkable considering all the odds against the 3DS
Overpriced piece of hardware, lack of killer games at launch, confusion over the brand/name and not to mention the sudden explosion of the mobile market.

Sure, it didn't do DS/GBA numbers but people expected way worse for the system.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Iwata recently confirm that MK8 DLC only required limited resources? I can't find the quote anymore.

I don't know where that quote would be, but I definitely remember him saying that, too. Still, "limited" resources are resources. If they can afford it without hindering future (potentially more successful) systems, I'm sure they'll continue supporting Mario Kart 8, considering it's the system's best selling game.

Mory Dunz

^^

fy2QZkP.jpg

Didn't know 3D World got up to 4 million. It hasn't been bundled that much right?
After opening at like 100k in JP and 250k(?) in NPD, it's not as horrible.

Mory Dunz

Sticker Star and Word of Mouth must have really affected Dream Team's sales. It's not even near BiS I believe. Wonder what their RPG strategy will be from here on out.

Top Bottom