• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Technically DLC Pack 2 released in FY15 (April 2015), so this doesn't have to mean anything. At some point, the team does need to move over to the next portable/hardware, but if the DLC team is small enough, it wouldn't be that surprising if we got maybe one more pack (Battle Mode expansion?) this holiday season.

If we does then captain toad is more likely to be playable. I doubt that we will since they probably want to move on to new projects.

geordiemp

Yeap. It only counts for a fraction of MK8 sales. And as opposed to PS4 bundles, is the game that sells the console, not the other way around.

Anyhow, looking forward to play Gran Turismo on my PC, now that I was enlighten by the advantages of 3rd party over 1st party sales.

If Ps4 forecast 3 million sales in a year then it would make commercial sense to do so.

Even MS were talking about games coming to Windows again, it is strange times we live in and its hard to read what is happening in the home console market.

Who knows.

Scum

Yeah but I don't have much work on my plate right now so I have plenty of time to waste :p

I just wish people would understand the actual situation
But that's just it. They do. It's just the same old bollocks all the time.I wouldn't waste my time with them, even if I had it.

lol
nintendo financial threads never change!

Poor results : Nintendo should go third party
Good results : Nintendo should go third party

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If Ps4 forecast 3 million sales in a year then it would make commercial sense to do so.

Even MS were talking about games coming to Windows again, it is strange times we live in and its hard to read what is happening in the home console market.

Who knows.

When first party games struggle to oversell MK8 it doesn't matter how many consoles are sold.

In the end the number of consoles is irrelevant. You are just limiting your market according to the logic. Just imagine how much more can Gran Turismo sell if it will launch on all platforms!

Hundred of millions of copies.

Nintendo would go full handheld before they went on other formats. They wouldn't split with some on other people's consoles and others on their handheld, they'd just all go on their handheld.

I don't agree with this, it would stupid, handhelds and consoles are 2 totally different markets. they could make a killing on ps4/XB1, there franchises are pretty weak on consoles at the moment, the only great sellers are mario kart, and smash. they would expand there user base, and ensure the franchises have a much longer life.

Atram

I don't agree with this, it would stupid, handhelds and consoles are 2 totally different markets. they could make a killing on ps4/XB1, there franchises are pretty weak on consoles at the moment, the only great sellers are mario kart, and smash. they would expand there user base, and ensure the franchises have a much longer life.

can you prove this? I need some historical examples

Discussing the potential positives or negatives of Nintendo releasing software on platforms they don't control is not in itself tantamount to portbegging, particularly considering they recently announced an arrangement towards developing and releasing software on platforms they don't control.

Also, as a general note, if you're thinking of posting stupid doomed memes or drive-bys as your sole contribution to this thread discussion. Don't.

Muzy72

Banned
Is there not going to be an investor meeting? They usually don't release the supplementary information page until the investor meeting.

Honestly there needs to be a shit thread for port begging Nintendo games to other consoles.

Edit: I at least wish the discussion about it nintendo on other platforms would go better

Shauni

Their.

Their franchises.

It's their.

Darius

Banned
Great to see them back on track financially.

About their handheld business, since 3DS is in its last "quarter" in its lifecycle and selling accordingly, it will be interesting to see how the beaten and obsolete competition in the dedicated handheld business possibly leading to slightly less direct competition, will affect next gens initial sales of their next handheld.

Eolz

Investor meeting is tomorrow

Oh really? Thought it was like last year where there wasn't any until June.

other then smash and mario kart, what nintendo games really sold great, mario 3d world had a pretty weak launch, most of its sells are coming from being bundled.

The question was about proving they would sell more on PS4/X1. Like why did Rayman Legends and Sonic All Stars Racing sold more on WiiU than on PS4/X1?

Atram

other then smash and mario kart, what nintendo games really sold great, mario 3d world had a pretty weak launch, most of its sells are coming from being bundled.

is this your excuse for every Bundled Game? This would apply to every Sony and MS first Party Game too...

Your Point is not legit, pls try harder

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Now add all the games that you consider bundled. I think Wii U has almost outsold PS4 by your logic.

Kathian

Banned
Tbf Nintendo does do third party and are doing third party releases.

Should Nintendo release Mario Kart on PS4? No. But I think they should look at PC carefully as a Nintendo Digital Platform could compete very well and they still get 100% of the revenue and can sell other products on top of that.

Certainly makes sense in a loss making world of hardware.

geordiemp

This is a company that is heavily diversifying from their core business

+ QOL
+ Amiibo toys
+ Mobile partnership
+ Universal studio theme park

What is next, its intriguing. Maybe they will go Insurance / commercial like Sony, or partner with some other company in a different field ?

Should Nintendo release Mario Kart on PS4? No. But I think they should look at PC carefully as a Nintendo Digital Platform could compete very well and they still get 100% of the revenue and can sell other products on top of that.

Can see a world where everyone has a digital store front (and no I am not a PC gamer, but it is one possible future that cannot be ignored and each publisher gets 100 % of the slice)

Oh really? Thought it was like last year where there wasn't any until June.

The question was about proving they would sell more on PS4/X1. Like why did Rayman Legends and Sonic All Stars Racing sold more on WiiU than on PS4/X1?

i don't think you can compare those games, they bombed on every platform, and sonic racing never came out on ps4/XB1. mario, metroid or zelda with amazing graphics and a high metracritic would do great on ps4/xb1.

Atram

i don't think you can compare those games, they bombed on every platform, and sonic racing never came out on ps4/XB1. mario, metroid or zelda with amazing graphics and a high metracritic would do great on ps4/xb1.

could you at least prove this?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/rayman-legends

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/new-super-mario-bros-u

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/mario-kart-8

I don't think they should. Takes away the only reason for people to buy their platforms. If Nintendo starts making ports then they need to go 3rd party.
The mobile games were clarified to be "not ports" which is why that works.

is this your excuse for every Bundled Game? This would apply to every Sony and MS first Party Game too...

Your Point is not legit, pls try harder

i'm only comparing nintendo big sellers on wiiu, which is like 3 games, mario 3d world only did 215k in it's first npd, not good at all for one of the biggest gaming franchises.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really pleased Nintendo are back in the black. It has been a long time coming.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
i'm only comparing nintendo big sellers on wiiu, which is like 3 games, mario 3d world only did 215k in it's first npd, not good at all for one of the biggest gaming franchises.

At list you could read the info you are commenting about. Please check LTD SM3DW sales and then come back to this thread.

Eolz

There's that, too

May 8, 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing
Jun. 26, 2015 The 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

Thanks for the precision

Right now, I can't see a switch/parallel store on PC making sense, apart from Virtual Console games. And then again, they would nearly sell no games at their current prices.

Can see a world where everyone has a digital store front (and no I am not a PC gamer, but it is one possible future that cannot be ignored and each publisher gets 100 % of the slice)
The future is games as a service, a la Netflix, available across multiple screens, with dedicated devices as the niche products for service delivery for the niche that deems the value worth the added cost.

This is a company that is heavily diversifying from their core business

+ QOL
+ Amiibo toys
+ Mobile partnership
+ Universal studio theme park

If you see Nintendos core business as an electronics manufacturer, yes.
If you see Nintendos core business as a toys and games company, no.

sörine

Banned
Discussing the potential positives or negatives of Nintendo releasing software on platforms they don't control is not in itself tantamount to portbegging, particularly considering they recently announced an arrangement towards developing and releasing software on platforms they don't control.

Also, as a general note, if you're thinking of posting stupid doomed memes or drive-bys as your sole contribution to this thread discussion. Don't.
No one's saying discussion on the matter is itself is inherently portbegging. But the continued disruptive behavior of a certain few in every thread, regardless of how topical, arguably falls in line with the spirit of why portbegging is a banned GAF topic.

I'd also say Nintendo's DeNA deal opening the door to this sort of discussion falls short of justification for arguing Nintendo make games on PlayStations and Xboxes. Investors have been beating the mobile drum for years now without a peep regarding other consoles, Iwata's spoken at length about the mobile industry but rarely a word for Sony or MS, Nintendo even repositioning their future device strategy around a mobile OS model and possibly backdooring out of traditional consoles entirely (as is the rest of Japan). These two things really aren't at all alike in terms consumer marketplace, direct competition, roi potential, future outlook or investor significance so it's difficult see anything but a superficial reasoning for directly linking them this way.

entremet

I'm actually kinda shocked.

Thought there would be a drop after Smash 4 and MK8. But it looks like new 3DS was a smart move.

Servbot24

Banned
They're Poppins!

BuhUy6PIYAAJn1r.jpg

They'll just never die, will they? :)

Eolz

Should there be a new thread about Iwata's message to investors?

Thought that it was pretty interesting:

What Nintendo will try to achieve in the next 10 years is a platform business that improves people's QOL in enjoyable ways.

We will continue to value the spirit of originality described in our motto "The True Value of Entertainment Lies in Individuality,"

Nintendo has continued to try new things, and with a history of experiencing many failures and small successes, we managed to pioneer the home video game market. What has remained the same from the past is that we have always tried to create something new from materials and technologies available at that time, to position entertainment as our core business and to improve people's QOL in enjoyable ways. We will continue to value self-innovation in line with the times and aim for growth.

Top Bottom