• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

JoeM86

I can guarantee you that QoL is going to be a system designed around the gamification of fitness and health.
Feel free to bookmark this post for when details are revealed if you think I'm wrong on this.

Don't we already know that the first QoL product involves keeping an eye on your sleep? Not sure how that can be gamified

Don't we already know that the first QoL product involves keeping an eye on your sleep? Not sure how that can be gamified

"You slept the full target 8 hours!
That's 1.5 hours more than your friends!
5 more nights of uninterupted sleep and you can earn the Snoozy Star Badge!"

Kriken

That MK8 attach rate is insane, also surprised Smash 3DS is that high, seems like a good idea for them to have made 2 versions from a business standpoint

sörine;163024057 said:
I'd also say Nintendo's DeNA deal opening the door to this sort of discussion falls short of justification for arguing Nintendo make games on PlayStations and Xboxes. Investors have been beating the mobile drum for years now without a peep regarding other consoles, Iwata's spoken at length about the mobile industry but rarely a word for Sony or MS, Nintendo even repositioning their future device strategy around a mobile OS model and possibly backdooring out of traditional consoles entirely (as is the rest of Japan). These two things really aren't at all alike in terms consumer marketplace, direct competition, roi potential, future outlook or investor significance so it's difficult see anything but a superficial reasoning for directly linking them this way.
I don't consider it necessarily justification for suggesting they make games for platforms on other dedicated devices. Frankly, the notion that their titles would be as successful isn't based in reality, and ignores the specifics of the market segments these products are attracting. That said, discussion of future scenarios doesn't necessarily need to be disruptive either.

I suspect the reason you won't see investors talking about the mobile games market for the other two hardware vendors is that Microsoft's investors actually don't care much about or for the games division, I think it barely gets mentioned if at all in earnings calls. The same applies to Sony to a degree, who are for all intents and purposes a financial services company that happens to have media arms and a currently successful games division. The point at which either of these businesses become untenable is presumably the point at which they exit and divest the studio and IP assets.

phanphare

Banned
54% of Wii U owners have Mario Kart 8. That's pretty incredible.

I'm gonna be very interested to see the attach rate when the generation is over. Mario Kart 8 is just stellar and this is coming from someone who generally doesn't like Mario Kart games.

E-phonk

Banned
I can guarantee you that QoL is going to be a system designed around the gamification of fitness and health.
Feel free to bookmark this post for when details are revealed if you think I'm wrong on this.

I would assume they'll take what they learned developing wii fit (and wii sports?) together with brain training etc as the basis for it. Although I'm very curious in what way they'll create a hardware/software ecosystem. Their first example (helping to sleep) didn't give a clear focus on this.

Woa ninjablade banned?
About time since you only see him in nintendo discussions is to say every Wii U exclusive should be on ps4...

Get a chip in your head so your dreams take you to Subcon...

I believe Iwata has previously addressed that the 'problem' with fitness products is that they usually follow the same cycle of a burst of initial interest, and then dwindling usage until its just another thing gathering dust you bought thinking it would make you less fat.

Gamification of regimes so that a user feels compelled to regularly return, which results in actual fitness change, which results in not thinking they wasted money on another thing that doesn't work is squarely in line with Nintendos capabilities and philosophies.

Wii Fit - as ultimately limited as it was - is a clear example of how QoL might be designed from a UX perspective (not from a hardware one).

EDIT:
I would assume they'll take what they learned developing wii fit (and wii sports?) together with brain training etc as the basis for it. Although I'm very curious in what way they'll create a hardware/software ecosystem. Their first example (helping to sleep) didn't give a clear focus on this.

Yes, exactly.

DizzyCrow

Wii U LTD hardware sales at 9.54 million worldwide as of 31 March. 3DS at 52.06 million.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/

I don't understand why people are so against the merge of the libraries, why deny access to a game to the vast majority of your install base? Or develop another version of a game already released for just a small part of it? The idea of playing any Nintendo game wherever and whenever you want is just too good.

Scrawnton

the day this comes to fruition is the day I find a new hobby

thankfully I don't foresee it being an all-or-nothing scenario
Same, I don't want games as a service. Heck, I don't want pre release season passes and dlc laid out before the game even releases. I just want to pay $60 for my console games and get all the games content and have fun. This reason is why I haven't touched my ps4. I'm tired of getting busted games waiting for patches and always being offered more content after I already bought the game for full price.

I bet I'm out of buying new video games within five years.

JoeM86

I believe Iwata has previously addressed that the 'problem' with fitness products is that they usually follow the same cycle of a burst of initial interest, and then dwindling usage until its just another thing gathering dust you bought thinking it would make you less fat.

Gamification of regimes so that a user feels compelled to regularly return, which results in actual fitness change, which results in not thinking they wasted money on another thing that doesn't work is squarely in line with Nintendos capabilities and philosophies.

Wii Fit - as ultimately limited as it was - is a clear example of how QoL might be designed from a UX perspective (not from a hardware one).

EDIT:

Yes, exactly.

Hey, you don't have to tell me how good gamification of fitness is. I went from ~250lbs to 140lbs but then put about 40 back on...then got Wii Fit and have been using it or its sequels practically every day since launch and am now ~135lbs. Without Wii Fit, I'd be more unhealthy, that's for sure.

I just am unsure if they're really going to include it in QoL. The impression I got from them lately is that it'll be largely separate.

I don't understand why people are so against the merge of the libraries, why deny access to a game to the vast majority of your install base? Or develop another version of a game already released for just a small part of it? The idea of playing any Nintendo game wherever and whenever you want is just too good.

For one, Nintendo typically design their games so the ones on handhelds are built to be on the go and played in small bursts while home consoles are longer experiences. This isn't always the case, but it's quite clear with the vast majority of their titles. I believe it's a large part of why the 3DS succeeded while the Vita didn't, because the Vita was trying to be a portable home console.

Shauni

Woa ninjablade banned?

Thank God. One of the most annoying posters you will ever encounter in one of these threads.

I don't know if people are necessarily against this idea, just that it a flawed concept for a variety of different reasons, especially for Nintendo.

Because that would break their monetary ecosystem?

hemo memo

Gold Member

Less profit?

I just am unsure if they're really going to include it in QoL. The impression I got from them lately is that it'll be largely separate.

Their discussion of QoL as a platform rather than a device leads me to believe that they will release multiple devices that are interconnected and can talk to each other to give overall "wellbeing overviews".

For example, if "QoL: Sleep Training" is a fancy alarm clock and you start regularly achieving optimal sleep patterns, then "QoL: Running Helper" can tell it you often skip your afternoon run, and it can start suggesting you wake up a half hour earlier to get that run in before your day rather than during it (or whatever).

Adachi

Banned
and what about that GT is first Party? wouldn´t it be better to release it on all Platforms?

Heh, I see what you're getting at, so let me address why I don't think Sony should, at the moment (in the long run I see them and MS moving towards streaming services), not think about abandoning hardware (as long as it's not called PS Vita, lol).

Playstation is an extremely vital cornerstone for the financial performance of a huge part of the gaming industry, all big publishers essentially make 25%+ of their revenue on PS platforms (that's a guess, don't quote me on that but I think it's close) and just taking away PS and in that situation Xbox as well of course would certainly not mean that all of those or even a large part would migrate to PC, I think everyone can agree that there's still a huge part of the market that just doesn't want to game on PC. Nintendo at this point in time can only offer a somewhat viable platform for themselves and not much more for outside publishers.

Now I know that people are going to point to the 3DS and it's third party hits like MH and Yokai Watch and while it's true that those exist it is still nowhere near close to what the third party situation is on PS4 and like I've said before the situation for dedicated handhelds is only getting worse and is going to continue to do so (how often have you seen a new entry in a japanese game series that used to be on handheld be announced and where disappointed to see that it was moved to mobile?)

In connection with that Sony naturally also makes way more money through third party royalties than Nintendo and their first party alone would never make up for the loss of that even if it could sell to more people, simply due to a lower appeal of most of their games, they also make a lot of money through PS+ which is a service they'd have a very hard time selling to people if it wasn't connected to their platforms.

So yeah, Sony at this point has an extremely vital role in the console business and their exclusives are a necessary side product of that.

Playstation is an extremely vital cornerstone for the financial performance of a huge part of the gaming industry, all big publishers essentially make 25%+ of their revenue on PS platforms (that's a guess, don't quote me on that but I think it's close) and just taking away PS and in that situation Xbox as well of course would certainly not mean that all of those or even a large part would migrate to PC, I think everyone can agree that there's still a huge part of the market that just doesn't want to game on PC. Nintendo at this point in time can only offer a somewhat viable platform for themselves and not much more for outside publishers.

Surely this presupposes that third parties would rather go bankrupt than ever dare to support a Nintendo platform, if Sony simply ceased to exist?

EDIT:
Thats basicly what I meant by nintendofying.

Okay, I was confused as you seemed to be suggesting QoL is more of a diversification than I envisage

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Heh, I see what you're getting at, so let me address why I don't think Sony should, at the moment (in the long run I see them and MS moving towards streaming services), not think about abandoning hardware (as long as it's not called PS Vita, lol).

Who says anything about abandoning the hardware? But their console sales are not really that much linked to 1st party software sales, so why not gaining more money from SW while keep selling HW? Again, it's the same logic you used, more platforms => more SW sales.

Sterok

So the DS is at 154 million. Isn't the PS2 at 155 million? Amazing how close those two beasts are. 3DS is alright, though they should probably replace it end of next year. Wii U continues to pull a Wii U.

jariw

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the Wii U forecast of 25M software unit was increased from 20M units during the last quarter of the fiscal year.

Adachi

Banned
Surely this presupposes that third parties would rather go bankrupt than ever dare to support a Nintendo platform, if Sony simply ceased to exist?

It presupposes a scenario in which all of the big three are out of the hardware business, Sony leaving hardware and letting all the third party money willingly go to the other 2 would be dumb as hell.

Who says anything about abandoning the hardware? But their console sales are not really that much linked to 1st party software sales, so why not gaining more money from SW while keep selling HW? Again, it's the same logic you used, more platforms => more SW sales.

The whole freaking discussion is about abandoning hardware. I'm not going to suggest Nintendo to keep their hardware but to make their software available for everyone and while Sonys hardware sales are not as tightly connected to their first party they are still connected and the games are still needed to define the system. Thus letting the first party titles go on all platforms while trying to maintain the hardware would just be insane, who would want a PS4 when you can literally get an X1 with all the same games and more?

StevieP

Banned
It presupposes a scenario in which all of the big three are out of the hardware business, Sony leaving hardware and letting all the third party money willingly go to the other 2 would be dumb as hell.

The whole freaking discussion is about abandoning hardware. I'm not going to suggest Nintendo to keep their hardware but to make their software available for everyone and while Sonys hardware sales are not as tightly connected to their first party they are still connected and the games are still needed to define the system. Thus letting the first party titles go on all platforms while trying to maintain the hardware would just be insane, who would want a PS4 when you can literally get an X1 with all the same games and more?

There are 2 consoles that are basically identical low end gaming PCs with a few different first party titles to differentiate them.

Papacheeks

Banned

My 2 cent's is it wouldn't feel like Nintendo to play their games on another platform. Right now it's a wait and see how their mobile plans go for their dedicated software they have cooking.

It also is a wait and see on that QOL fitness strat that keeps popping up. Right now we are seeing good sales from their 3DS hardware, software, and Wii U software. Mainly because of the packed released schedule they had for 2014.

But FY15 isn't over, and depending on what they announce for their Wii U and if Amiibo sales start dropping off, which I think will by end of 2015, we will see a different report.

For right now it's good they are in the black, and it shows you how smart Nintendo can be when it comes to Financials.

But come the end of FY15 and into FY16 it's may not be sunshine and rainbow's.

Griss

Good to see them turn an operating profit for once. Good news.

However the short-term outlook has to be pretty poor, right? Perhaps a sales cut, new games and the fantastic library of existing games will help them hit that Wii U mark, but it still doesn't seem likely, and that forecast is anaemic anyway compared to anything but the Wii U's own history. We've had MK8 and Smash, and that's the biggest boost the Wii U will ever have. The Wii U's miserable sales story is almost fully written at this point. What's left for it other than to limp along until it gets put out of its misery?

On the other side, if the 3DS still declined to that extent despite a hardware refresh and Pokemon ORAS, then surely that thing is about to hit 'the wall', so to speak, and start declining heavily, as has been often predicted. As this was the one part of Nintendo's business functioning reasonably well that makes for a weak upcoming year all around.

I've been saying for 2/3 years that Nintendo should have a new handheld ready for early 2016, late 2016 at a minimum, and every sales info release just reinforces that. It's the one place they still have a reasonable amount of success, so it's the one market they can't afford to let die off between console releases like they did between the Wii and Wii U. They absolutely MUST be ready to go with their new handheld soon (with appropriate software of course), and I'm assuming NX will be it. (Or NX will be a platform that can run on their new handheld - it's all the same so long as a new handheld comes out within the next 16 months). I can't understand why anyone could believe that the NX is a new home console - it makes no sense.

As for the 3rd party argument that has been raging, as always I seem to see it differently to many other Nintendo fans, who are hardcore protective of Nintendo's home hardware. Now, to be honest, I don't know how relevant the idea of Nintendo games on other consoles / PC even is anymore, because between their handhelds and mobile Nintendo has their plate full and that's where their core audience is. That will probably be their focus going forward for a long time.

But the point is that Nintendo's home hardware seems to have hit a brick wall, and it's very hard for me to imagine how they continue in this space after the Wii U. I really don't know what they can do as a next step there, when their software has been best in class and it makes no difference to the sales of the machine. Unless they become a world-class hardware maker (in a ludicrously competitive sector) then we've seen that their software can't make up that gap. And I don't care if the Wii U is currently, at this very moment profitable - the question is how has it fared financially over the entire course of its life? How much money did they spend on R&D, or lose on the first write-down after the price drop? How much potential profit have they 'lost' by making a masterpiece like MK8 available to only 10 million potential customers? If they've lost money (or only broken even or made a small profit) for all this effort, and been fairly completely rejected by the market, the question is why would they do this again? What could possibly be different?

I also believe that if Nintendo were to make 3rd party home console games, that
1. Those games would be massively successful (enough to easily make back the 20% lost in publisher fees) because Nintendo fans would follow them to whatever platform they're on (up to 60% of the Wii U audience, probably), then all the casual parents who buy Nintendo hardware for Mario just buy PS4 instead, and lastly all of the existing PS4/XB1 homes that happen to have kids in them start buying Mario at Christmas and birthdays. That's not an insignificant amount of people, there. Gamers are in their 30s now. PS4 owners have kids, nephews, nieces. Even hardcore gamers can be convinced to pick up Mario Kart for themselves with a good marketing push. The idea that they couldn't sell on PS4 because the likes of Knack don't sell is nonsense to me. They'd bring their own audience of hardcore fans, and the rest would be the gravy on top. I don't see how they'd 'lose' any part of their audience if they did this, no more than the 30-50% they seem to be losing generation-on-generation with the exception of the Wii, anyway.
2. A few high-profile, big budget games a year would help keep mainstream gamer and media eyeballs on Nintendo franchises, which is one of their biggest problems right now (brand stagnation and lack of visibility). Thus the licensing and theme parks and all the rest. I don't see how this hurts them as in this scenario they're not competing with their own handheld or market space.
3. Even at the Wii's peak, 3rd party royalties were a very small part of their revenue. Now they must be nearly non-existant on home consoles. They lose little by ditching that.
4. Nintendo's home consoles have become vehicles for some kind of gimmick peripheral, and Nintendo has always loved peripherals in general. (Not just the Wiimote or Gamepad - look at the Mario Kart Wheel, Zapper and the rest of the plastic tat on the Wii) No reason they can't stay a peripheral maker if that's what they're into and bundle something like that with a big game. Does that cut install base they can sell to? Sure, but it already has - the Wii U gamepad sure as shit cut the potential potential install base of the Wii U as a whole, after all, and Nintendo did it anyway. Whether or not they do this, the rest of the hardware division can focus on the handheld and QoL anyway, and possibly mobile peripherals too. They wouldn't have to slash that entire division, not by a long shot, and claiming they would is asinine.

Again, I think they focus on handheld and mobile and don't go 3rd party within the next 5 years, if ever. But what I wonder as a fan is what's next for them in the home console arena? One of their strengths is magnificent home console software. Should they just ditch that because it's being held back from reaching its audience by shit hardware that the market rejects? Of course not. I say they give it one last try, probably with a super-cheap box that runs the same platform as NX (even if the software library is still distinguished between them). But if that doesn't work, then it's probably a choice of leaving that segment of the market or using their skill at software development for 3rd parties, and I know which one I'd choose.

casiopao

3. Even at the Wii's peak, 3rd party royalties were a very small part of their revenue. Now they must be nearly non-existant on home consoles. They lose little by ditching that.

I will only comment on ur this part of ur post here but, i am sure here that that is veryyyyy wrong here. Especially when Wii and DS had third party getting million seller like Just Dance almost every installment here.

There is a reason why total third party software sales beat nintendo own first party software sales here.

StevieP

Banned
I'll save this post and come back to it on June 18th.

You'll get halo on one side, uncharted collection on the other that will certainly move the needle. Meanwhile the games that sell the most every month are multi plats that are basically identical, on consoles that are nearly identical. It's not like I'm saying anything controversial.
I will only comment on ur this part of ur post here but, i am sure here that that is veryyyyy wrong here. Especially when Wii and DS had third party getting million seller like Just Dance almost every installment here.

There is a reason why total third party software sales beat nintendo own first party software sales here.

Not by a small amount either (was it 350m f vs 550m t or thereabouts?). Nintendo made a killing on licensing fees.

Griss

I remember we had a thread on it and being astonished at how small a percentage it was of their overall revenue at that time. Obviously when they were riding high with the Wii and DS they made a lot of royalty money - but the percentage of their overall revenue was still really low. If Nintendo is doing well, they're making the big money on their own software. That is and always will be their core business - making and selling software. Everything else supports that.

E-phonk

Banned
I remember we had a thread on it and being astonished at how small a percentage it was of their overall revenue at that time. Obviously when they were riding high with the Wii and DS they made a lot of royalty money - but the percentage of their overall revenue was still really low. If Nintendo is doing well, they're making the big money on their own software. That is and always will be their core business - making and selling software. Everything else supports that.

nin_soft_rev1vppj.png

There you go... Think you mean this?
Don't know for sure if the "royalties" bar are actual licencing fees or not though.

SeanR1221

Good for Nintendo. I love a good comeback.

I think I'm most interested to see what direction they head. The Wii U might be the worst third party system in their history but the first party stuff is insane.

I almost forgot

Please add to the op, Vinny.

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49      7.76    0.59      12.24    43.33

FY 2014/15     0.82     1.27      4.99    1.65      8.73     52.06 

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11      -        -         -      9.43      9.43     9.43

FY 2011/12     4.53     3.60     19.91    7.96      36.00    45.42    

FY 2012/13     7.39     11.64    20.53    10.05     49.61    95.03

FY 2013/14     11.01    16.37    29.87    10.64     67.89    162.92

FY 2014/15     8.57     14.73    29.74    9.70      62.74    225.66

Wii U Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:

FY 2012/13       -        -      3.06     0.39      3.45     3.45

FY 2013/14     0.16     0.30     1.95     0.31      2.72     6.17

FY 2014/15     0.51     0.61     1.91     0.35      3.38     9.54  

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      11.69    1.73      13.42    13.42   

FY 2013/14     1.03     5.27      9.66    2.90      18.86    32.28

FY 2014/15     4.39     5.01     11.19    3.81      24.40    56.68

Wii Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:

FY 2006/07       -        -      3.19     2.65      5.84     5.84

FY 2007/08     3.43     3.90     6.96     4.32      18.61    24.45   

FY 2008/09     5.17     4.93     10.42    5.43      25.95    50.39

FY 2009/10     2.23     3.53     11.30    3.48      20.53    70.93

FY 2010/11     3.04     1.93     8.75     1.36      15.08    86.01

FY 2011/12     1.56     1.79     5.61     0.88      9.84     95.85

FY 2012/13     0.71     0.61     2.21     0.45      3.98     99.84

FY 2013/14     0.21     0.26     0.60     0.15      1.22     101.06

FY 2014/15      0.09    0.08     0.21     0.08      0.46     101.52     

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY       LTD

FY 2006/07       -        -      17.51    11.33     28.84    28.84

FY 2007/08     15.98    20.99    47.38    35.25     119.60   148.44  

FY 2008/09     40.41    41.00    82.37    40.80     204.58   353.02

FY 2009/10     31.07    45.14    80.43    35.17     191.81   544.83 

FY 2010/11     28.17    37.04    85.33    20.72     171.26   716.09

FY 2011/12     13.44    23.01    52.61    13.31     102.37   818.46 

FY 2012/13     8.47     15.27    21.34    5.53      50.61    869.06

FY 2013/14     3.67     11.23    8.37     2.89      26.16    895.22

FY 2014/15     1.60      4.58    3.87     1.68      11.73    906.95

FY 2015/16 Nintendo Forecast (Unit: Million)

Code:
              3DS       NDS       Wii        Wii U

Hardware        7.60      -         0.10       3.40   

Software        56.00      -        4.00       23.00

Banned
Mario Kart 8 with over a 50% attach rate. God damn. Where's that stupid pie chart with the 400k only due to install base pic?

Papacheeks

Banned
You'll get halo on one side, uncharted collection on the other that will certainly move the needle. Meanwhile the games that sell the most every month are multi plats that are basically identical, on consoles that are nearly identical. It's not like I'm saying anything controversial.

Not by a small amount either (was it 350m f vs 550m t or thereabouts?). Nintendo made a killing on licensing fees.

We will also see some of the games for the first time by first party studios that may or may not be released fall 2015 or spring 2016.

If Verendus is anything to go by, it's expect a huge Japanese push this E3. Level 5 's new RPG, new Ratchet and Clank, Project Horizon, KillStrain, not to mention Dragon Quest hereoes 2015 release date. On top of Morpeheus games with early 2016 release.

Xbox will show off Scalebound, possibly crackdown, and Phantom Dust unless it's current build was scrapped because of studio change on project.

There's going to be more than you think come this E3.

ec0ec0

About nintendo hypotheticaly developing for ps4, xbox one, their successors, and PC...

For two console generations now, it has been clear that nintendo isn't interested anymore in making big jumps in technology with each console, one of the reasons being that the resources (staff, budget) needed for developing games are increasing too fast. If nintendo were to release their games on ps4, xbox one, pc, they would have to meet the expectations of a different user base. They would have to compete with the production values/graphical quality of those expensive third party games, developed by those huge teams. It goes without saying that they wouldn't be prepared for that. So, instead of calling for them to restructure the whole company with a new direction in mind, it would make more sense to wait a little longer and see if the restructuration that they have already experienced this past years works with their next console or not.

From what we have been hearing, nintendo already finds problematic the amount of work it takes them to develop games. They have been preparing themselves so that they can fix that with their next console. I'm not going to repeat what they have been doing and what their plans are, as most people here already know about all that.

The wiiu was a disaster, we know, but nintendo doesn't end with the wiiu.

edit: hopefully :p

Nintendo did good this quarter though once again greatly aided by abenomics, costs cutting measures (especially marketing expenses).

Nintendo's guidance for FY16 leaves much to be desired especially with 7.6 & 3.4 million 3DS and Wii U units expected (too high); hoping management sheds light on the forecast.

Next year they are going to have the mobile money to balance things .

Is this the first quarter that we can say definitively that the X1 has passed the Wii U? Shipments haven't always been clear for the X1, but it's very reasonable to assume it has passed 10 million.

sörine

Banned
I don't consider it necessarily justification for suggesting they make games for platforms on other dedicated devices. Frankly, the notion that their titles would be as successful isn't based in reality, and ignores the specifics of the market segments these products are attracting. That said, discussion of future scenarios doesn't necessarily need to be disruptive either.

I suspect the reason you won't see investors talking about the mobile games market for the other two hardware vendors is that Microsoft's investors actually don't care much about or for the games division, I think it barely gets mentioned if at all in earnings calls. The same applies to Sony to a degree, who are for all intents and purposes a financial services company that happens to have media arms and a currently successful games division. The point at which either of these businesses become untenable is presumably the point at which they exit and divest the studio and IP assets.
Oh, I agree with all this. For what it's worth I do think there's potential on other closed non-mobile platforms, especially if a synergystic deal could be made linking Nintendo's own platforms more directly (say with Valve in particular), but I understand where the sentiment of relating it to portbegging comes from. There's an undeniable System Wars undercurrent in the way it's often framed unfortunately, and that stifles any real discourse.

I think you might've misunderstood my investors reference too, I was talking about Nintendo own investors specifically. In that they've been screaming for mobile support for years now, but never a word about PlayStation, Xbox or Steam. And for good reason I think.

Hermii

For third party I could see PC being a possibility in addition to their own platform, however unlikely because they wouldn't have to rely on another platform holder and they wouldn't cannibalize their console sales as much cause as other consoles versions would.

Top Bottom