• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Quarterly Financial Highlights: 0.94M 3DS, 0.22M Wii U, Amiibo down 60% YoY

jblank83

Easy. Owners migrating away from your platform to others. 3DS is aging, it's not hard to imagine people have been moving off to mobile for example.

If you can keep your userbase engaged, it might be a sound assumption that content consumption should always increase over time, but that initial condition seemingly isn't an automatic given.

The release schedule is also winding down. If there's very little to buy, obviously download revenue will be decreased.

It's obvious that 3DS is near the end of its life.

watershed

Banned
And the Animal Crossing line sold super poorly no? I think there was a thread about it the other day. We all know AC:AF sold terribly. That probably didn't help and AC:HHD didn't really sell Amiibo as an important in-game element.

3DS software (Apr-Jun 2016)
Pokémon ORAS - 400,000 (12.24m)

Pokémon XY - 280,000 (14.98m)

ORAS is only 480,000 away from matching HGSS and XY is 620,000 away from matching Black and White. ORAS will probably reach HGSS, but I'm not feeling so confident in XY matching Black and White.

mclem

Amiibo Figure sales are down 60% yoy as well. That free money well is drying up.

I suspect the key issue is that we're mostly done with Smash now, and the replacement large-collection Amiibo offering - Animal Crossing - isn't driving sales as effectively. How many Amiibo were out this time last year, and how many new Amiibo have been released since then?

I suspect the only other large-library Amiibo range that could have that sort of level of power would be Pokemon, and even then, I suspect the highest-profile mons have been accounted for.

(That said, I can't find the exact part of the report, but you're saying figures - how are the cards doing? They should be another large-volume item)

inner-G

Banned
I bought another New XL and some physical games - it's my fault

I've totally stopped purchasing anything digitally on their platforms because of their 'account aystem'.

Bruno MB

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King has slipped to 2017, nothing unexpected because Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten will be released on September 16.

Edit: I just noticed that in the US it is still scheduled for release in 2016, that's weird.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
ORAS is only 480,000 away from matching HGSS and XY is 620,000 away from matching Black and White. ORAS will probably reach HGSS, but I'm not feeling so confident in XY matching Black and White.

Ok. Tell me how.

They sold 280,000 this quarter.

Next quarter is a given they will sell even more because the Pokémon GO effect.
And then the last quarter of 2016 is of course gonna be bigger because the holidays.

Let's say they will sell only as much as this quarter, so only 280k both quarter (which is impossible), this will make XY at 15.54 million, 60k under Black/White.

Do you seriusly think XY won't sell 60k in the INTERE 2017?

Not to mention that at this point is 90% probabily that XY will surpass Black/White this year.........

Ok. Tell me how.

They sold 280,000 this quarter.

Next quarter is a given they will sell even more because the Pokémon GO effect.
And then the last quarter of 2016 is of course gonna be bigger because the holidays.

Let's say they will sell only as much as this quarter, so only 280k both quarter (which is impossible), this will make XY at 15.54 million, 60k under Black/White.

Do you seriusly think XY won't sell 60k in teh INTERE 2017?

Not to mention that at this point is 90% probabily that XY will surpass Black/White this year.........

I expect Sun and Moon to kill XY's sales.

Famassu

Download sales decreased?! How is that even possible in today's market?!
Nintendo doesn't drop prices to Steam or even PSN levels, which is what drives sales on other digital platforms, and shitty account systems not really encouraging to go digital on Nintendo systems

casiopao

Nintendo doesn't drop prices to Steam or even PSN levels, which is what drives sales on other digital platforms, and shitty account systems not really encouraging to go digital on Nintendo systems

They also don't release many new games with DLC.T_T

scoobs

All those people who bought Nintendo stock because of the Pokemon Go phenomenon are feeling reallllllllllllllly shitty right about now (especially when you consider Nintendo didn't even make that game)

Goes without saying really, but these are dreadful numbers

Bioshocker

220K Wii U's sold is obviously bad, but it's not a low record after all. Remember April-June 2013 when Wii U sold 160K?

Since Nintendo is expecting to sell 800K Wii U consoles this fiscal year, the numbers are pretty much as expected. At least Wii U ownes continue to buy games for the system.

OK, reveal NX now.

Well, I guess it shows that you can't really take 1+ year sabbatical as a company. Surviving until March 2017 won't be that easy. Pokemon will help, but that's not enough.
Good point, I think. Felt like Nintendo had a one year console sabbatical also, between end of Wii and start of Wii U. They love to make the same mistakes again and again.

And the Animal Crossing line sold super poorly no? I think there was a thread about it the other day. We all know AC:AF sold terribly. That probably didn't help and AC:HHD didn't really sell Amiibo as an important in-game element.

Good if AC:AF sold like crap, Nintendo will learn that people don't buy crappy AC spin-off. Well, AC:HHD sold well but you can tell more effort was put into it (but it still feels more like some side-stuff from a mainline game). Also if AC amiibos sold bad, it may explain why they decided to integrate them in NL (but isn't it a bit too late for a 2012 game, even if it sold 10+millions ?)

Bruno MB

Nintendo Wii U hardware shipments:

Apr. - Jun. 2016

Japan - 70,000 (-53.3%)
The Americas - 90,000 (-52.6%)
Other - 50,000 (-61.5%)

Total - 220,000 (-53.2%)

According to their sales projection Wii U will only ship 0.58 million units for the remaining 9 months. Wii U lifetime sales will probably not reach 14 million.

Apr. - Jun. 2016

Japan - 70,000 (-53.3%)
Other - 50,000 (-61.5%)

Total - 220,000 (-53.2%)

According to their sales projection Wii U will only ship 0.58 million units for the remaining 9 months. Wii U lifetime sales will probably not reach 14 million.
What a sad life.

Wollan

Really counting on that docking-station to feature an extra GPU. A certain level of hardware performance is important to entice many dedicated gamers. As it is now it's a Good phablet (though... active cooling?) but a super-weak console. Every portable device has TV-out these days so their TV-out functionality needs to stand apart.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Amiibo is no surprise. I called it a few months ago in another thread;

Nah, Amiibo is done. Every major character is covered, some more than once and, besides a few cornerstones, they don't work outside of Smash Bros.

Skylanders continues to sell like it does because it's cross-platform, forward compatible, there's yearly new software to leverage the toys and there are brand new designs with every release.

Like every Nintendo platform they've starved Amiibo of software support and because they rarely deviate outside their major franchises, there's little scope for expanding the range in any meaningful way to grow the market.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, their hardware sales really are dead. On whole sale prices ie the money Nintendo gets from retailers (these guesses are pretty generous to Nintendo):

3DS $150 x 0.94M = $141M
Wii U $250 x 0.22M = $55M
Total hardware $191M / quarter

Even assuming Q4 is double everything else, that's less than a billion a year.

Apr. - Jun. 2016

Japan - 70,000 (-53.3%)
Other - 50,000 (-61.5%)

Total - 220,000 (-53.2%)

So does that make this Nintendo's worst-selling console ever? How does it compare with zany experimental shit like the Virtual Boy? It's literally unbelievable they went from 260 million hardware units last gen to probably 80 million by the time this generation is over.

Bioshocker

Apr. - Jun. 2016

Japan - 70,000 (-53.3%)
Other - 50,000 (-61.5%)

Total - 220,000 (-53.2%)

Seems about right. I projected 15 million lifetime sales back in 2013, wish I could go back and find that specific post right now (it was not on NeaGAF) and celebrate myself. I'm usually off when it comes to sales numbers.

If they can integrate Amiibo into the NX platform and software in a meaningful way then I don't think they're dead yet, but I do think a lot of the customers are manchildren who want them for display rather than actually using them, and the sales would inevitably slow down at some point.

Will be a very interesting 12 months to see what the NX is like and whether things like Amiibo and Pokemon Go can be sustainable revenue streams for Nintendo.

AzaK

< 1/4 mill home consoles. No wonder they're basically leaving the market with NX. There is no market for them there. However, I'm not sure there's much handheld market for them either in the long term.

casiopao

Nahh. It all depends on the game there. If Nintendo is able to come out with another hit like Splatoon, i can see the Amiibo is going to sell huge again.

Amiibo is different vs Skylander as it depends on the game it is paired. So if the game which is paired with the Amiibo is lackluster/ or no game is released, amiibo will slowed down.

If the game released is hits, i can see the Amiibo doing really well.

They're 60% down from the quarter they released 5 smash amiibo and launched Splatoon. Of course the margins would be wide if you compare it to this year's barely anything quarter.

When are Sony quarterly financials due?

In a little less than two days.

Also, looks like a timid impact from Miitomo for Nintendo's debut in the mobile market. The report doesn't comment anything about it either. Let's see how this category will grow with Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

wXGolXL.jpg

gogogow

Easy. Owners migrating away from your platform to others. 3DS is aging, it's not hard to imagine people have been moving off to mobile for example.

If you can keep your userbase engaged, it might be a sound assumption that content consumption should always increase over time, but that initial condition seemingly isn't an automatic given.

That makes no sense, how can content consumption always increase over time? The 3DS is OLD. It had its peak. HW and SW will decrease over time and a new device is coming, less SW being released, less DLC released etc.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Apr. - Jun. 2016

Japan - 70,000 (-53.3%)
Other - 50,000 (-61.5%)

Total - 220,000 (-53.2%)

It's not possible that forecast not to rise.

Not great figures, but it just seems indicative of a lack of new products. Compared to other years, Nintendo hasn't really put out all that much. I'd imagine next year (assuming the NX is not a colossal failure) will look much healthier.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It's not possible that forecast not to rise.

Right.

Honestly i expect only 150K for Wii U this quarter, or something like this, 220K, while pretty much death level, is still much more they should ship for that 800k quarter... i mean, if they ships 220k all others 3 quarter, they will ship 880k... but of course there are the holidays sales, so looks even unlucky an avg of 220k per quarter.......................

I think they can go over 1 million for the quarter, unless they undership like crazy.

Something like:

Q1 - 220k
Q2 - 200k
Q4 - 500k
Q1 - 100k

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Your reactions to anytime someone doesn't agree with your sales predictions just come off like "well you're wrong and here's why i think you're wrong and if you don't agree then you're still wrong". It gets tiresome to read.

Ok we are in a sales thread for dicuss about sales.

If someone disagree with me then i like to discuss WHY he disagree with me.

And if you think is boring to read then no one oblige you to read my post. :)

Top Bottom