• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo responds to DS Lite "cracking" issues

Lhadatt

NeoGAF = 0.02%

nelson.jpg

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
biggreenmachine said:
Then why is it the left hinge that cracks and not both?
I think the mechanism that locks the top screen in place when opened is placed in the left side.

_PsiFire_

Frankfurter said:
So out of the 593,000 sold Nintendo DS Lite in the USA since the end of June, there are ... 118.6 with that problem. ~20% of the people with that problem are probably GAF members :lol

Edit: Oh, it's less than 0,02%. Perhaps more like ~110 units.
Your math teachers must be proud..

2% of 593,000 is 11,860 units.

EDIT: Nevermind.. They said .02% - I'm retarded.

Norse

So, is Nintendo charging $50.00 to fix the cracked units? If so, why doesnt the warranty cover this? The ds lite just came out. If this were a MS thing, this thread would be 10 pages already and filled with flaming rants.

TiVo

Norse said:
So, is Nintendo charging $50.00 to fix the cracked units? If so, why doesnt the warranty cover this? The ds lite just came out. If this were a MS thing, this thread would be 10 pages already and filled with flaming rants.

NDS Cracked Hinge with FREE REPAIR > 360 Freezing, Lockups, Overheating, Scratching of Discs with $125 repair charge.

Decker

so far i have seen only white DSL with that crack, is it possible they use different plastic for other colours?

I'm as anal as it gets when it comes to caring for my things. System abuse is not the cause of this defect. It's cheapo plastic.

James-Ape said:
what is the deal in Japan? can i get it fixed here?
My thoughts too, I woke up this morning to discover that I have joined the 0.02%. Time to find my receipt and 'returning electronic goods' phrase book.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's a few days old, a direct feed version is up on G4's website. I was laughing when he had to try so hard to break more than the hinge.

flipping_heck said:
Nintendo are replacing the cracked ones for free anyways, so everyones happy.

Nope, Nintendo is replacing them for 50€, at least where I live. Even with the warranty being 2 full years by law.

Wario64 said:

You can tell that DS lite was pre broke. THat little wuss could in no way break a DSL so easily. That said I think a lot of people are only whining because this suddenly came to light. Is this little defect at all a problem when it comes to the function of the machine? If not then I don't see how Nintendo is responsible. It is like people whining the touchscreen got scratched or the finish. Now if it causing the hinge to not work or anything else then I understand.

jedimike

Has anyone got their's fixed or replaced for free from Nintendo? I noticed today that mine is broken. Same deal... White unit, left hinge. My care factor at this point is very low because it's only cosmetic. However, I don't think Nintendo should get a free pass.

ZeoVGM

Banned
someone do the math.

how many people out of those who bought it so far (the latest numbers we know) is 0.02%? :p

I had the cracked hinge on my DS Lite. I took it back to Target three months after the original purchase date, and they gave me a gift card to purchase a new one. So yeah, if you bought it at Target good chances are you can get a new one. Other than that your probably out of luck.

Cronox

Banned
Oh it'll crack eventually. I take very good care of my DSL, but the crack has started and will probably slowly move until it meets the other side of the hinge in a few months.

Only noticed it about a month ago too.

This issue limited to the US?
Cos i don't even take care of my Lite, i've even dropped it once and there's been no problems at all with it. UK since launch btw.

SpoDaddy

quadriplegicjon said:
yeah.. what are the odds of units that are constantly manhandled by kids are cracked???

:p

Point taken, but the cracks are all in the same place. That means A) it's not solely due to "manhandling" and B) it's clearly more than .02% of DS Lites.

Has anyone had a crack in their DS lite that effects their use of the system?

darscot

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said they had .02 complaint rate. Considering 99% of the people that have a cracked unit didn't know it untill the story broke the number sounds about right.

scofield

i've noticed that some people open their ds to the point where it's flat. if you just open it, and let it go, it stops at a point... with the screen tilted a little towards you still. you can force it a little bit further than that so it's flat. do the people with cracks do that with their ds? i'm afraid to do that, someone did it to my ds and i panicked lol

SpoDaddy

scofield said:
i've noticed that some people open their ds to the point where it's flat. if you just open it, and let it go, it stops at a point... with the screen tilted a little towards you still. you can force it a little bit further than that so it's flat. do the people with cracks do that with their ds? i'm afraid to do that, someone did it to my ds and i panicked lol

I think it just cracks from use, not due to one specific motion. Not that I have any answers, I'm as clueless as everyone else about this problem and it's derailed my plans to get a Black Lite.

M3wThr33

Banned
The Nintendo Service Center is stating that soon they're going to stop offering free replacments. It's a cosmetic issue.

scofield

M3wThr33 said:
The Nintendo Service Center is stating that soon they're going to stop offering free replacments. It's a cosmetic issue.
maybe they should look at the lineup of people in japan, waiting for a black ds, playing on their white ds, before they decide cosmetics are not important/deal-breaking :)

Top Bottom