• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals Swapdoodle, out today on the 3DS eShop

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-reveals-swapdoodle-out-today-on-the-3ds-eshop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7rUrNUbNQ

Swapping doodles is a snap thanks to stamps based on the icons of played titles and your Mii™ character. You can also purchase in-game add-ons packs that have doodle lessons of Nintendo characters!

Doodle lessons allow you to trace beloved Nintendo characters from the Super Mario™ series, The Legend of Zelda™, Splatoon™, and more! With the right add-on, you can also draw more doodles per note, boost your note storage to over 6000, get more than 45 pen colors, and download stationaries featuring Nintendo characters. Put a piece of yourself in your art by sticking on a Mii face with various emotions to choose from. It’s also possible to share in-game screenshots with friends who also have the game and even create secret pages that are hidden until your friend replies. It’s always fun to see what doodles your friends are swapping!

– Swap messages and doodles with your Nintendo 3DS™ friends
– Purchase add-ons packs to enhance your doodles and learn to doodle Nintendo characters
– Take doodle lessons featuring characters from Splatoon™, The Legend of Zelda™, Super Mario ™, and more!
– Draw 3D doodles on 2 layers
– Place a sticker of your Mii character’s face with different emotions
– Send in-game screenshots from select titles

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...campaign=Swapdoodle&utm_content=launchtrailer

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
NIKKI'S BACK

image.php

Kade

Oh my God. Thank you Nintendo. I was recently looking through all my SwapNotes and started missing it a lot.

Note that it's now "free-to-start" with in-game purchases. Swapnote/Letter Box used play coins to unlock extra content.

How the market has changed pre- and post- 3DS, shame what Nintendo wanted to do (basically, not follow the market trend) wasn't sustainable in the long run.

Anyway, I'll get this. Hopefully the app itself is much faster, particularly on a New 3DS, and it imports your messages from the old app. I'd love an excuse to pore through the crazy d
icks|
oodles from five years ago.

Steiner

Banned
Does anyone other than me regularly (and I mean at least a few times a week) tap the Swapnote icon just to hear the little intro ditty play? That music brings back some fond memories for me.

WhyMe6

Nikki is finally back! ㅠㅠ

I'll give it a whirl after I play a bit of Sun, I'm so glad they finally gave her some life again.

There's a lot of extra content. It's odd that the doodle courses aren't part of a free-to-start art academy game instead.

Here’s a tip: if you download the free* Starter Pack, you can store 300 notes right off the bat – that’s an extra 100 notes! What’s more, your ink capacity will increase by two units, and you’ll also get your hands on four doodle lessons, two types of stationery and one coloured pen!

The following packs are available to download in Swapdoodle:

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_StarterPack.jpg

Starter Pack – FREE – Includes four lessons, two types of stationery and one coloured pen. Increases maximum note storage by 100 and ink capacity by two units.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_NintendoPremiumPack.jpg

Nintendo Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 – Includes six lessons, six stationery types, five coloured pens and four premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_SparklingPremiumPack.jpg

Sparkling Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 – Includes 14 lessons, eight stationery types, five coloured pens and six premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_SilverGlitterAndStationerySet.jpg

Silver Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_BronzeGlitterAndStationerySet.jpg

Bronze Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_SuperMarioBasicLessons.jpg

Super Mario Basic Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_SuperMarioStandardLessons.jpg

Super Mario Standard Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_SplatoonInklingsAndThings.jpg

Splatoon Inklings and Things – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_SplatoonInkopolis.jpg

Splatoon Inkopolis – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 12 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_TheLegendOfZeldaOcarinaOfTime.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 11 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_TheLegendOfZeldaTheWindWaker.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_AnimalCrossingStandardLesson.jpg

Animal Crossing Standard Lesson – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 13 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_MarioKart8.jpg

Mario Kart 8 – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 14 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_PrehistoricLife.jpg

Prehistoric Life – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_NikkisSimplyAdorableAnimals.jpg

Nikki's Simply Adorable Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 27 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_NikkisAnimals.jpg

Nikki's Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 20 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

CI7_3DSDS_Swapdoodle_AOC_NikkisSimplyBeautifulFlowers.jpg

Nikki's Simply Beautiful Flowers – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 25 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

The more substantial packs are cool, but charging for different coloured marker pens? Really?

Steiner

Banned
From the eShop listin, there's a lot of extra content. It's odd that the doodle courses aren';t part of a free-to-start art academy game instead though:

I'm okay with all of this. It's structured in such a way that people like me with 0 friends on 3DS (I'm so ronery) can use this every now and then for free. People who get really into it and want to use it to the utmost can pay a few bucks for a ton of extra stuff.

georly

I bet it's online, because you can't send photos anymore, so it's safe now.

That would explain it then.

That and the fact that the storm has mostly blown over. People have likely forgotten about that incident by now, the people who would care anyway. They have to worry about the smartphones they got their kids now, instead.

I'm okay with all of this. It's structured in such a way that people like me with 0 friends on 3DS (I'm so ronery) can use this every now and then for free. People who get really into it and want to use it to the utmost can pay a few bucks for a ton of extra stuff.

Yeah, it's not too bad, was really just a bit sad that the market has changed so much in five years. Though you could easily argue that this sort of content wouldn't have existed if Nintendo wasn't charging for it already.

Shiggy

Yeah, you have to pay for everything, including colors. The prices are rather steep for what little you get.

I don't know really. It seems like to get the app up to the same standard as the 2011 version, you have to pay £6.29. It only comes with a 200 message limit (expandable to 300 with a free pack), and one marker pen.

You have to pay the £6.29 to store 3000 messages (same as Swapnote/Letter Box) and gain access to more marker pen colours.

I'm assuming (don't have my EU 3DS to hand) that the new version has an improved interface and much faster loading/fetching of messages though. And that it's N3DS enhanced...

The extra content, like the lessons and the animal packs, definitely seem like good value. But I think the basic featureset shouldn't be so limited. I guess the expectation is that anyone using the app regularly will pay a base amount equivalent to a downloadable, smaller budget game, and serious users will go for extra packs on top?

maxcriden

I like the idea of these as lessons. Do they teach you how to draw the characters beyond just tracing them? I think my wife would enjoy that.

L.O.R.D

is there a DLC to upgrade my friends capacity above 100?
because it's just silly you can only store 100 friend in 3DS.

also,this is a bit late just like the streetpass update for mii plaza that let's you queue 100 person instead of 10.

Shiggy

I like the idea of these as lessons. Do they teach you how to draw the characters beyond just tracing them? I think my wife would enjoy that.

No, it's just very basic. It's just simple doodles. When I can find games like Chibi Robo and Rhythm Paradise Megamix for less than 10€, the pricing in this app seems pretty rough.

Top Bottom