• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals Swapdoodle, out today on the 3DS eShop

LordKano

No, it's just very basic. It's just simple doodles. When I can find games like Chibi Robo and Rhythm Paradise Megamix for less than 10€, the pricing in this app seems pretty rough.

I am interested about where you can find such prices.

Fireblend

Banned
No, it's just very basic. It's just simple doodles. When I can find games like Chibi Robo and Rhythm Paradise Megamix for less than 10€, the pricing in this app seems pretty rough.

If Megamix was $10 I would've bought a copy for everyone I knew who owned a 3DS.

maxcriden

Oh, that's unfortunate. Thank you for the info. The pricing does seem rough, then.

Shiggy

Oh, that's unfortunate. Thank you for the info. The pricing does seem rough, then.

For 3 Euros each, you get packs such as these two:
img_20161117_232038dgsap.jpg

img_20161117_232020v3s3n.jpg

And the doodles are then explained in 4 steps and as simple as this:

Effect

Who's Nikki and why is everyone excited about it/her ?

She was the lead character/mascot of the program Swapnote when the 3DS originally launched. The program let people message (send and reply) others (single person or a group) on their friend list (and outside of that I think if they were apart of the original group the message was sent to) by attaching pictures I believe or drawings or hand written or typed notes. Really no restrictions on what you could send outside of no video and how much space you used up. You could change the backgrounds, borders, etc in the messages. They killed the service after a child predator was found using it to communicate with kids or a single kid. Not sure of the number.

Nikki as character sort of disappeared after it was shut down but showed up again in the Badge Arcade as one of the badges you could win. I think her appeal was similar to the appeal that Isabella has when it comes to Animal Crossing: New Leaf. That can be confusing as well as to why she's so popular.

The service was pretty popular and fun at the time so it returning even in a different form is exciting news. Parts of Miiverse (how you make post) are similar to what Swapnoted offered but it's more controlled and you can't directly message anyone. Nor can you fancy up the post the way you could in Swapnote.

LordKano

I fear you can only get that price if you live in Germany. I just purchased it for 6 Euros and am happy that NoE gave it a retail release.

No way to import ? I'm european too and I could use a Rhythm Paradise for less than 20€.

She was the lead character/mascot of the program Swapnote when the 3DS originally launched. The program let people message (send and reply) others (single person or a group) on their friend list (and outside of that I think if they were apart of the original group the message was sent to) by attaching pictures I believe or drawings or hand written or typed notes. It's been a while since I used it. I did keep it installed though. Really no restrictions on what you could send outside of no video. They killed the service after a child predator was found using to communicate with kids or a single kid. Not sure of the number.

Nikki as character sort of disappeared after it was shut down but showed up again in the Badge Arcade as one of the badges you could win. I think her appeal was similar to the appeal that Isabella has when it comes to Animal Crossing: New Leaf. That can be confusing as well as to why she's so popular.

The service was pretty popular and fun at the time so it returning even in a different form is exciting news.

So she's a waifu. Another one.
I heard the story about people sending pictures of their wiener to children, I never thought about using the Swapnote that way, I don't think I've ever used it.

zigg

I heard the story about people sending pictures of their wiener to children
It was worse than that.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/66230738102/smhnote-days-after-nintendo-closed-swapnotes
According to a couple reports popping up in Japanese outlets Mainichi and Yomiuri Online, a 44-year-old man is said to have used the app to communicate with pre-teen girls, convincing them to send back nude photos. Two other men allegedly lured a 12-year-old girl to a hotel multiple times to perform “improper acts” after connecting with her through an online dating site she accessed with her 3DS (possibly using the handheld’s browser?).

scamander

Banned
I fear you can only get that price if you live in Germany. I just purchased it for 6 Euros and am happy that NoE gave it a retail release.

I live in Germany and this must have been a pricing error (probably the price of the Wii game), because it just released and no store offers it for less than 26-27€.

Opa-Pa

Interesting, I wanted something like Swapnote back but the timing... Am I being paranoid or are they baiting early Sun/Moon players into accessing the eShop? (especially europeans) Hilarious if so haha.

Shiggy

I live in Germany and this must have been a pricing error (probably the price of the Wii game), because it just released and no store offers it for less than 26-27€.

It's not a pricing error, just a combination of a retail promotion and a coupon code. Most 3DS games can be got really cheap if one takes advantage of different promotions.

No way to import ? I'm european too and I could use a Rhythm Paradise for less than 20€.

Delivery only within Germany. If you have someone to send it to, it's possible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All that Swapnote stationary I collected, lost forever. ;__;

Shame there's no import option.

Worth noting that buying one of the Premium packs also unlocks a thickness control for the pen and gives you the basic colours. Everything else after that is alternate shades and "glitter" pens.

Ugh, what a useless thing. Nobody is going to do this or use this. Maybe novelty wise for 5 minutes.

Swapnote was actually pretty darn active for a year or so, people do start giving up when they've decided they'll never be as good as the artists who draw almost daily, but it was always fun to share notes with people in a far less noisy setting vs Miiverse

grumpy

Can't wait for them to disable the service a few months down the road after a child receives a very realistic drawing of a dick or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can't wait for them to disable the service a few months down the road after a child receives a very realistic drawing of a dick or something.

As posted above, the incident was far worse than just a few dick pics being shared.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like it. Already sent out a couple of doodles. Just wish there were more colours you could get for free.

In the early days of Swapnote we only had black. Then when they released the colour update, it was still one colour per doodle. I think I'll be fine sticking to the free options.

nullset2

Nikki <3

But how are they gonna contain the harassment this time around? Didn't they shut down swapnote because it was too unsafe for the children or something before
?

L~A

By the way, this is the DLC for Europe. Anyone has prices for NA?

Starter Pack – FREE – Includes four lessons, two types of stationery and one coloured pen. Increases maximum note storage by 100 and ink capacity by two units.
Nintendo Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 – Includes six lessons, six stationery types, five coloured pens and four premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.
Sparkling Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 – Includes 14 lessons, eight stationery types, five coloured pens and six premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.
Silver Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.
Bronze Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.
Super Mario Basic Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Super Mario Standard Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Splatoon Inklings and Things – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Splatoon Inkopolis – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 12 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 11 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Animal Crossing Standard Lesson – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 13 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Mario Kart 8 – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 14 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Prehistoric Life – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Nikki's Simply Adorable Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 27 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.
Nikki's Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 20 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.
Nikki's Simply Beautiful Flowers – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 25 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

Insaniac

from what I remember the base package is pretty much what the original swapnote was. The extra stuff in the shop is nice if you want to spend some money I guess. In any case swap note was fun back in the day, I'll have fun again sending dumb notes to my friends

Soul Beat

Are we gonna have a spreadsheet so we can all send each other messages? Cause I'm down for that.

Imma drop my FC cause I really wanna use Swapdoodle.
3566-1628-5922

Top Bottom