• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

I really love so many things about this, but I REALLY hope the New 3DS will still be easily pocketable. The current OG 3DS seems to like it's as large as it could be without being uncomfortable in a pants pocket. The new one is going to be larger...

wilflare

wonder why didn't they make the New 3DS XL look more like the New 3DS... I like the less rounded profile and the two tint faceplate on the New 3DS

wonder how the small c-stick feels like :/

random25

This kinda opens the floodgates for Wii/GC games ported to the New 3DS. Sin and Punishment 3D? Metroid Prime Trilogy 3D? Wow...

Gleethor

To be clear, this in no way is anything like the DS revisions. Never did the DS add extra buttons, it did add a faster processor but there were no major game releases that required it.

With this "New" Nintendo 3DS and XL, we are seeing more controls and a faster processor that is making it a requirement for some pretty heavy hitting software so far. Xenoblade Chronicles is a pretty big game compared to some eShop download title.

I am really upset. I bought an OG 3DS and got screwed on price (Ambassador program was ok I guess), and then a 3DS XL which is now obsolete for these new titles. My Circle Pad Pro for my XL will not let it run Xenoblade, so people need to stop making that excuse. I am sure the added horsepower has something to do with it.

In the end, it is sad to see Nintendo go this route. They fucked up by not adding these controls that were necessary from the beginning, and the customer is supposed to pay to fix that blunder.

Fuck off Nintendo. The 3DS has been the shittiest you have been to your fans, with the price drop, awful launch library and games afterwards, and a 2014 that pales in comparison to 2013. I feel we are paying for Nintendo messing up.

fucking lol.

lt519

To be clear, this in no way is anything like the DS revisions. Never did the DS add extra buttons, it did add a faster processor but there were no major game releases that required it.

With this "New" Nintendo 3DS and XL, we are seeing more controls and a faster processor that is making it a requirement for some pretty heavy hitting software so far. Xenoblade Chronicles is a pretty big game compared to some eShop download title.

I am really upset. I bought an OG 3DS and got screwed on price (Ambassador program was ok I guess), and then a 3DS XL which is now obsolete for these new titles. My Circle Pad Pro for my XL will not let it run Xenoblade, so people need to stop making that excuse. I am sure the added horsepower has something to do with it.

In the end, it is sad to see Nintendo go this route. They fucked up by not adding these controls that were necessary from the beginning, and the customer is supposed to pay to fix that blunder.

Fuck off Nintendo. The 3DS has been the shittiest you have been to your fans, with the price drop, awful launch library and games afterwards, and a 2014 that pales in comparison to 2013. I feel we are paying for Nintendo messing up.

This is just full of pretentiousness. You bought a product, they don't owe you anything. Welcome to technology; new things come out and prices drop. They were nice enough to offer the ambassador program in the first place.

Ikael

It would seem to me that Nintendo has took the smartphone route: software that runs on different hardware platafforms with yearly revisions but always running under the same development enviroment (iOS, Android).

Jls900

Neo Member
HddBLdb.png

Xenoflare

The second analog stick is basically the red dot for the thinkpads....

Also... I don't see a regular SD card slot, does this mean the new 3DS only supports micro SD?

I remember when people used to say a second stick would split the userbase and it'd be horrible for Nintendo and consumers.

Well... here we are. Overall it looks nice and I wish this were the 3DS from the start.

This is just full of pretentiousness. You bought a product, they don't owe you anything. Welcome to technology; new things come out and prices drop. They were nice enough to offer the ambassador program in the first place.

We shouldn't stand for this shit. Nintendo fucked up. End of story. This is what the 3DS should have been from the start and now we pay for their error.

sajj316

If there is an improvement in CPU .. just wondering if they can add additional anti-aliasing to titles that have 3D disabled. Enjoyed playing Zelda:OoT with 3D off and the anti-aliasing kicking in.

Zalman

I think the placement and size for the second analog is really smart. I always wondered what they were going to do whenever they added another pad. No matter what I thought of it just seemed uncomfortable to me. This is a perfect solution. Face buttons stay where they are and you have easy access to the second analog.

Just the other day I was wishing Nintendo would release a new 3DS version.

I've ALWAYS wanted one with improved 3D, but I never imagined they would actually do it! :D

I'm actually really excited for this thing; the most excited I've been in a video game hardware release in a long time (had zero interest in the Wii U, PS4, and X1 at launch, they're only now getting interesting to me).

It's going to suck having to wait a minimum of 4 months until it comes to the US, though. I want to enjoy better 3D on my 3DS games NOW! :(
I don't even really care about the spec increase, extra buttons, or tiny right stick, even though that stuff is pretty cool.

I really love so many things about this, but I REALLY hope the New 3DS will still be easily pocketable. The current OG 3DS seems to like it's as large as it could be without being uncomfortable in a pants pocket. The new one is going to be larger...

I think we're kind of past the time where companies care a lot about pocketability. It would be cool if it still was, though.

Xenoflare

If there is an improvement in CPU .. just wondering if they can add additional anti-aliasing to titles that have 3D disabled. Enjoyed playing Zelda:OoT with 3D off and the anti-aliasing kicking in.

I don't think this would happen unless the hardware upgrade is really that significant, since XC is looking shaky even under that new cpu in the trailer.

The most important part is that I bet old 3DS games cannot take advantage of the new CPU unless there is a patch for it, the system would probably just downclock and run it exactly the same like the old 3ds/xl/2ds

I hope the idea of making beefier games just for the new 3DS doesn't become commonplace, and that Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS is just one of a small handful of these type of games. The extra CPU power is nice and all, but you've got a shit ton of people with the 3DS, 2DS, and the 3DS XL, and it'd kind of kill a large slice of your possible audience if the game is unavailable to millions of people with the older models. It'd be the first time we'd ever see exclusives for just one version of the same console. Which is not a good thing.

Xenoflare

Yes, you take the back plate off and there's a place for the micro sd.

That's a shame... this would mean that I would have to fork out for a new micro sd card then if I'm getting this once it comes to NA, but I guess it won't be as bad as the Vita since it's MicroSD and not proprietary storage

Fucking bullshit is what this is. I wasn't mad when the GBA SP was released with backlight, because I still could play all games in my OG GBA. I never said a word when the DSi was released, because it never had "big" exclusive software, only small digital games. It was a minor revision, even with a bump in the processor. Now this? This is fucking bullshit. I would be jumping with joy right now if they announced a 4DS or a HDS instead of this, but this fragmentation is just pathetic. I will wait for more information on the "exclusive developed games", but if something like Majora's Mask ends up being only a "new" 3DS only, I'll probably skip the console and stay with my Vita. I am so mad right now that I even regret buying my Wii U from Nintendo.

Symphonic

Having trouble deciding if I want the new regular or XL now. I have an XL now and love it, but I really miss the crispness of the original's smaller screen... and with the new 3D it would be aces.

Rocky

Banned
I hope the idea of making beefier games just for the new 3DS doesn't become commonplace, and that Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS is just one of a small handful of these type of games. The extra CPU power is nice and all, but you've got a sht ton of people with the 3DS, 2DS, and the 3DS XL, and it'd kind of kill a large slice of your possible audience if the game is unavailable to millions of people with the older models. It'd be the first time I'd ever see exclusives for just one version of the same console. Which is not a good thing.

Just you wait, I bet Pokemon Z will be new 3DS exclusive lol.

lt519

We shouldn't stand for this shit. Nintendo fucked up. End of story. This is what the 3DS should have been from the start and now we pay for their error.

Stand for what? A significant revision of 3 year old hardware? Nobody forced you to buy the original one. You made that decision as a consumer full knowing that price would drop and what you were buying.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nintendo has been using outdated hardware for a long time now. The 3DS has a bad GPU, terrible screen resolution, WiFi chip that doesn't support Wireless-N or 5ghz, etc., yet I continue to buy it all. I'm surprised this one has NFC, though it'll probably have very limited functionality.

Well obviously it has NFC for Amiibos.

Just gets to me that I might pay $200 for such an old ass GPU in 2015.

I think we're kind of past the time where companies care a lot about pocketability. It would be cool if it still was, though.

I think you're right—but it's a real freaking shame. I take the 3DS with me everywhere because it just stays in my pocket all day. It's also the main reason I never bought a Vita.

This feels like a big fuck you to the people who own the 3ds. They might as well call this a new handheld console. Which is bc with 3ds games. Fuck.

I hope gamestop gives us an offer where we dont have to pay a lot for that new 3ds. Hopefully itll be $200 but seeing this. I think theyll price it at $225 or maybe $250.

I understand this feeling. I'm extremely pissed off by Atlus's tendency to release games (that I have to get RIGHT NOW because they'll go up in price if I don't!) and then re-release or remake them 2-3 times with new content. Why can't I just get the definitive version of anything anymore?

But... Nintendo has done this before with their handhelds. The Game Boy Color could play games the original Game Boy couldn't. The DSi could play games the DS couldn't. They always release several hardware revisions to their handhelds, too.

Increasing the handheld's power and adding the second analog nub is a little surprising, but ultimately this isn't something that was totally unforeseeable. I get where you're coming from, but I think you're slightly off base on this one.

Xenoflare

Just you wait, I bet Pokemon Z will be new 3DS exclusive lol.

And ignore the 40 million userbase? I would think that the next pokemon after ORAS is going to take advantage of the new 3DS cpu, but it would still run on the old 3ds minus some effects here and there

BY2K

Membero Americo
Q: Since official Nintendo microSD cards are going to be released, are there any other microSD cards that can be used for New Nintendo 3DS/New 3DS XL?

A: The following microSD cards will be compatible:

SanDisk Extreme: 16GB (SDSDQX-016G-J35A)

SanDisk Extreme: 32GB (SDSDQX-032G-J35A)

Huh, these are pretty expensive. Like, more expensive than PS Vita memory card expensive.

Top Bottom