• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

JCho133

Yeah, I have no problem with the 3DS XL speakers, they're just not blisteringly loud like the OG's are, which I view as a plus, especially since the volume is easily raised by accident due to its location.

I know many disliked the quieter speakers though

Awwwww yuss :)

ifwnbBrXWchHz.JPG

ibkqLKYRPuLrMr.JPG

iFpXV9CsTBekD.JPG

iVsZVmFpnzJww.JPG

irIL53hSEJHGz.JPG

iNie9uXSy7MsF.JPG

i7E3O7oJ16c0H.JPG

Zing

Banned
Now I see why they made the cradle vertical. I don't agree with it. I prefer being able to actually use the 3DS while it is charging.

watershed

Banned
Now I see why they made the cradle vertical. I don't agree with it. I prefer being able to actually use the 3DS while it is charging.
You can just plug the cable directly into the 3ds and charge while playing. The whole cradle thing is to give the 3ds a "home" for when you aren't using it.

For anyone that has used the new nXLs and the old XLs.

The new is listed as being slightly lighter then the regular XLs. Can you notice the difference? Is it balanced in your hand better?

Zing

Banned
uh, then just plug the charger into the console itself. No one is stopping you.
What I meant is that I enjoy the ability to leave the 3DS in the cradle while quickly opening it for a peek at my animal crossing, or when I am hosting visitors in the game, or for updates or system transfers. If I wanted to just use the plug, then I wouldn't care enough to type out words onto an Internet forum.

They removed functionality for asthetics. They could have simply left the cradle horizontal.

I think the back plate of n3DSxl is glossy(?). Can anyone confirm that?
Confirmed by watching a few unboxing videos. The exterior appears to be similar to the original 3DS plastic. I'm sure it's slightly different, since one of the reasons Nintendo changed the plastic on the original XL was for ease of decoration (they claim). Thankfully, the interior is matte.

Bitanator

What I meant is that I enjoy the ability to leave the 3DS in the cradle while quickly opening it for a peek at my animal crossing, or when I am hosting visitors in the game, or for updates or system transfers. If I wanted to just use the plug, then I wouldn't care enough to type out words onto an Internet forum.

They removed functionality for asthetics. They could have simply left the cradle horizontal.

You can quickly open it while having the charger plugged in at the top... Honestly I don't know who uses the cradle. You saying " I prefer being able to actually use the 3DS while it is charging" makes me believe you did not know you can play with the cord plugged into the system itself, that will solve all your problems

i-Jest

Sorry to bring this up but hows the build quality of the thumb stick? Was thinking of getting one to replace my OG. Don't want the thumb stick breaking on me while I play Smash.

Why are so many people importing the New 3DS from Japan? Doesn't that mean you have to import every game you buy for it since theres region locking? Isn't that an expensive hassle?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why are so many people importing the New 3DS from Japan? Doesn't that mean you have to import every game you buy for it since theres region locking? Isn't that an expensive hassle?

Not a hassle at all if you don't mind buying digital copies of everything.

If you can read Japanese well, there's not much reason to not get the Japanese version of the system. Not like western games are are particularly well represented on Nintendo hardware.

Not a hassle at all if you don't mind buying digital copies of everything.

If you can read Japanese well, there's not much reason to not get the Japanese version of the system. Not like western games are are particularly well represented on Nintendo hardware.

A lot of people do it for Japan only games.

Oops. Completely forgot about the eShop.

I guess this is good if you know Japanese. It's the reason I couldn't do this

Most folks will use it for Japan only/ Japan first games. Besides, its not like GAF needs a good reason to blow money on games.

I already have an import 3ds from Japana because my teacher lets me use my import games as homework to help me with learning the language to improve my reading and listening skills.

Also, I like to get games that don't release outside of Japan or games we don't get physically (like Ace Attorney 5, for example). I have two 3DSs (one NA and one Japan). I also have two Vitas (which are region free) with one system dedicated to each region so I don't have to reformat each time I want to switch between PSN logins.

I usually get all my games physical but have no problem going with a digital library on my new 3DS when it gets here tomorrow since I ordered a 32gb microSD as well

Zing

Banned
You can quickly open it while having the charger plugged in at the top... Honestly I don't know who uses the cradle. You saying " I prefer being able to actually use the 3DS while it is charging" makes me believe you did not know you can play with the cord plugged into the system itself, that will solve all your problems
I'm not sure why you are bickering with me. "Don't use the cradle" isn't solving any problem.

The cradle is an awesome way to hold the system. It keeps it from sliding around. It is easier than fumbling for the cable (which also slides off the dresser when not plugged in). It keeps the cord and system snug and secure. On both the regular and XL system, it allows me to open the lid to quickly check things, then grab the system and go when I am ready, without the hassle of a cord.

The new cradle takes away the ability to open the lid for no practical reason. They even had to cut a special slot in the cradle just to expose the status light. This is strictly so people could "ooh ahh" at the custom designs while it is charging.

I'll buy and use the cradle because the benefit of the cradle is too great. I just wish I could flip open the lid and use the system for a few moments without taking it out of the cradle sometimes.

Rich!

Literally all I would use the cradle for is to shove the 3DS in at the end of the day so it's charged for the next. That's literally it. If I need to check something, I simply lift it out of there and then put it back after. It's not going to kill me having to move my arm a little bit more to do that.

The new design is far better imo, as it takes up a hell of a lot less space than the OG dock. It's great, and I think it looks damn stylish.

No joke, if I didnt have any worries about the Japanese systems not playing Nic in terms of multiplayer, or worrying about Japanese Smash working with my future English copy of the Wii U one, I'd have a new 3ds on its way right now.

Zing

Banned
I think this is the first time in my life that I am actually bothered by a region lock. I'm also worried that we may not get the black XL or worse, not get the regular size new system at all. My daughter is looking forward to the regular size. I'm probably going XL this time. That metallic black looks sweet. I have the cosmo black 3DS and always thought it was nicer than just plain black, as with my black XL.

I can't find an answer, so forgive me if this seems redundant; do older games like MH3 and Biohazard: Revelations take advantage of the extended control scheme? I would assume so, but...

Banned
As someone who usually gets black handhelds, devices and cinsoles, the new XL blue is just to awesome for me to skip. I love the color and faded look. That shine. Come to Canada my dear n3DS, plz.

JCho133

Okay I can't believe I haven't (nor anyone else) has asked about the dpad.

Does it have the horrible, cheap, loose, noisy dpad like on the old XL? Or does it have a nice, stable delightfully clicky-yet-quiet dpad like on the DSi?

Beepos

Wait I just don't get it. How does my small country like Australia have a Nov release date, yet US market still has a '2015' date?

How is this possible?

(edit - I am sure it has been explained, but may I have the reason again :)

Mistle

Wait I just don't get it. How does my small country like Australia have a Nov release date, yet US market still has a '2015' date?

How is this possible?

(edit - I am sure it has been explained, but may I have the reason again :)

we don't actually know, and probably won't. it is crazy though! we never get anything first, let alone a console, by months. haha.

people are speculating that it's because NoA has a heap of stock that needs clearing, while Australia doesn't (due to much lower population).

or it could just be a marketing thing, where Australia has forcast it doing great for christmas, while NoA thought it'd be better to get a final batch of sales from the current range.

NateDrake

how many rehashed 3DS'es will Nintendo make before coming out with a new handheld? This is getting ridiculous.

OG 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS (though this isn't even available worldwide). Now the New 3DS and 3DS XL. Pretty comparable to DS, DSLite, DSi, and DSi XL.

It is pretty clear that the New 3DS will replace the OG and 3DS XL in due time & give the 3DS extra time on store shelves before a successor is released. At least 2yrs before we see or hear of a new handheld from Nintendo.

OG 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS (though this isn't even available worldwide). Now the New 3DS and 3DS XL. Pretty comparable to DS, DSLite, DSi, and DSi XL.

It is pretty clear that the New 3DS will replace the OG and 3DS XL in due time & give the 3DS extra time on store shelves before a successor is released. At least 2yrs before we see or hear of a new handheld from Nintendo.

I can only speak for the New3DS (non-LL), but I can see a lot of people doing a sideways upgrade from their XLs when the new models are released in EU/US/etc. There is enough there on the new model in terms of improvements for it to feel like a justifiable purchase. The speed the new model operates at alone will be enough for some - watching a title update, you'd think you had accidentally hit a fastforward button of some sort! Even generally navigating around, opening and closing games make the Old3DS seem like it's insides are clogged with treacle.

Rich!

So, anyone got any recommendations on games to try out with the new 3D effect? I'm trying to build up a bit of a collection for the new 3DS next month - so far I have Starfox, Pilotwings and Kid Icarus. Any others?

My current PAL collection:

- Mario 3D Land
- DKCR
- Zelda OOT
- Zelda ALBW
- Mario Kart 7
- Fire Emblem
- Kirby Triple Deluxe

Bear in mind although I used to like the 3DS effect, I had to stop using it because of the tiny sweet spot. So this will be revolutionary for me, really.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Doesn't 3D Land have two 3D viewing modes, one having much more depth, thus requiring more concentration on the sweetspot. Could be a good game to try since you can flip between the two on the fly.

Is Pilotwings still the most hardcore 3D title? While some games can easily be played on full whack, that game basically had to be played with the 3D slider only a tiny bit up.

SEGA 3D Galaxy Force II is said to have a very strong 3D effect*. Plus it has CCP support, perfect for trying out the C-Stick.

*-I'd say look at the screenshots on the eShop only Nintendo removed 3D screenshots from there to make the pages load faster, maybe Miiverse has some...

Rich!

Doesn't 3D Land have two 3D viewing modes, one having much more depth, thus requiring more concentration on the sweetspot. Could be a good game to try since you can flip between the two on the fly.

Is Pilotwings still the most hardcore 3D title? While some games can easily be played on full whack, that game basically had to be played with the 3D slider only a tiny bit up.

yeah, I got pilotwings at launch and 100%'d it. loved it. I used to have the 3D on full for it all the time, and all my mates thought I was absolutely insane

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thinking about it, a good test would probably be Faceraiders or the AR Card games since they require you to move the system about, thus really testing the dynamic angle viewing.

Top Bottom