• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

SRTtoZ

So how exactly do you know if you have the problem. I've been gaming the pro controller or with the joycons docked to the systems. So Im unawares if I might have an issue, plus I wouldn't mind sending mines in for repair.

It took me all of a minute to realize I had the issue. Stand back 5-10 feet, put the joy-con behind your back, run the calibration tool and move your analog in a circular motion. If its silky smooth and not skipping then you're fine. Also if you have Zelda start it up and do the same, put the joy-con behind your back and run link in a circle, if he only moves one way then you have an issue, if he moves perfectly with your analog motion then you're fine. And for those that say 'well you don't play with a joy-con behind your back', thats true but I found that I can also replicate the issue just turning 90 degrees to the side. Its definitely a shitty connection.

I was like you and didnt notice I had an issue because I sat close, and most of the time I'm using my red joy cons which don't have the issue but once I tried on my gray I noticed the issue right away.

RootCause

Did the test, mine are good. :)

Lol Nintendo what a shitty company.

So you think you can just admit there is a problem and fix them for free and you think you are off the hook?

You should pay the consumer for the trouble. That's why you will become a mobile company and then disappear.
Pay them for what? A free repair is fine.

LordCanti

I've definitely got the problem. I literally have to maintain a direct line of sight to the console from 3-5 feet for it to not have issues. Any interference at all (my leg, someone walking in front, etc) causes the issue.

At least they're addressing it I guess. I'm not looking forward to also having to send in the dock to be scratch proofed at some point in the future.

-shadow-

So how exactly do you know if you have the problem. I've been gaming the pro controller or with the joycons docked to the systems. So Im unawares if I might have an issue, plus I wouldn't mind sending mines in for repair.

Remove the (for most left) joy-con wrap your hand around sliding part and see if it drops inputs when close to the system (within 15 feet). If it drops inputs you have a faulty controller.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

In addition to the above, make sure you go into the systems settings to the controller menu then "calibrate control sticks." You get a visual depiction of the stick's location on the screen to easily verify interference.

It's literally the equivalent to PS4's bad batch of DS4s right after launch.

Kind of telling just how desperately some want/wanted this to be a thing.

Jedi2016

How feasible would it be for us to just fix this ourselves? I can get spare foam from work. How hard are the Joy-Cons to get open?

me0wish

How feasible would it be for us to just fix this ourselves? I can get spare foam from work. How hard are the Joy-Cons to get open?

With some experience and care, it should be pretty easy, you just have to be careful.

What's that's foams name? and how do I ensure that it sticks?

I am thinking of trying the replacement option from amazon, anyone has any experience with it?

So you think you can just admit there is a problem and fix them for free and you think you are off the hook?

You should pay the consumer for the trouble. That's why you will become a mobile company and then disappear.

Someone lives in fantasy land.

And is 12.

TLZ

Banned

I mean, I wouldn't mind them paying me but that's just not happening lol. Just take it back and get your money back and you're good.

Regarding the joycon issue, I didn't even have to put them behind my back. Mine were straight desyncing while playing 2 metres away and sometimes my feet would interfere when I'm sat reclined :/

B33

Banned

Is this a joke post?

They're repairing faulty controllers for free. Either return the Switch or have its Joycon repaired. Don't be opportunistic.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So after tonight's Zelda session I decided to give my Joycons a good testing before I send them in to Nintendo.

I sat on my couch in this position, with my right leg up on my left knee.

170xNx4-figure.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xYthwys-l4.jpg

I then started up the calibration analog sticks option in the settings menu and crammed the left joycon into the back of my knee. Sure enough, the connection started dropping pretty badly, just as I've seen occasionally while playing Zelda.

The interesting part was that I tried it again with the right joycon and the same thing happened....so it's looking like I'll probably have to send in both joy cons to get fixed.

Before I do so I'll probably pick up a pair of joycons at a store just to test. I guess it's possible that even the fixed ones won't work in conditions where I'm basically forcing them to not work.

The left one that came with my console seems to have the issue but the left one I bought does not.

Guess I could send the OG one in for repair

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

The hell's your problem?

AzaK

One thing fixed, three hundred more to go and maybe it'll be ready to sell.

It also seemed like more than "a few" as tonnes of people in the press were reporting the issue.

zenspider

How good SHOULD it work? Mine has dropped very rarely and it really doesn't bug me enough to wait on a repair, but way some people complain maybe I have a good one?

yami4ct

Just tried testing mine as far away as possible I could get away from the console in my current setup (at least 10 feet away) and couldn't replicate the problem by placing it behind my bag or even completely enclosing the controller with both hands. I guess that means mine is good/good enough for my use cases at least.

I have a pro controller for TV use, so it wouldn't have killed me, but if I needed the repair I would like to know while I can get it.

Yeah it seems many people didn't get the sarcasm... Should have used /s

:)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so if I have issues with the right joycon, is that more likely due to interference in my room? I'm probably bathed in 1000 different forms of radiation - router, mobile phones, vita, 3DS, hue bulbs, nest, ipads. But I've never had an issue with a dualshock or Xbox controller.

Lucifon

so if I have issues with the right joycon, is that more likely due to interference in my room? I'm probably bathed in 1000 different forms of radiation - router, mobile phones, vita, 3DS, hue bulbs, nest, ipads. But I've never had an issue with a dualshock or Xbox controller.

I wouldn't accept that as anything but a bullshit way of avoiding admitting fault. Sure it might lower signal strength, but not prevent something from working as intended.

"small number of the left Joy-Con"...

What's wrong with this statement? There were reviewers who never had this issue. Shoot, the IGN team all have said they've never encountered this issue with their personal ones. I've never had this issue, nor has anyone else I've personally known who own Switches.

Once again, GAF is a small segment of the gaming population in whole, and even here, maybe it's only occurred to 5% of the owners. All these supposed problems with Switches have been pretty small. It's good that Nintendo is taking care of the problems for those that have it, but let's not pretend it has happened to everyone who owns the system.

Deja

So after tonight's Zelda session I decided to give my Joycons a good testing before I send them in to Nintendo.

I sat on my couch in this position, with my right leg up on my left knee.

170xNx4-figure.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xYthwys-l4.jpg

I then started up the calibration analog sticks option in the settings menu and crammed the left joycon into the back of my knee. Sure enough, the connection started dropping pretty badly, just as I've seen occasionally while playing Zelda.

The interesting part was that I tried it again with the right joycon and the same thing happened....so it's looking like I'll probably have to send in both joy cons to get fixed.

Before I do so I'll probably pick up a pair of joycons at a store just to test. I guess it's possible that even the fixed ones won't work in conditions where I'm basically forcing them to not work.

This is exactly how I found mine had an issue. Even when sat back, I'm probably about three feet from my dock, and don't have issues with any other bluetooth device or controller.

I sent them back to Nintendo for a repair, and am waiting to hear back. Funny thing, they gave me a postage label, which just like my delivery of the Switch is showing "Tracking number not recognized", which is both hilarious and worrying.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, a bit of a Zelda fanboy, and am really happy with the Switch for what it is, but honestly, from the day of delivery, I've had my fill of making phone calls related to this system.

I Just hope I get 'em back and they're perfect, so I can just get on with enjoying my games.

taoofjord

I have three pairs of joy cons that don't have this problem and know three others with a Switch that haven't had this either. I know this is anecdotal but regardless, this doesn't seem to be a problem for EVERY joycon.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Now this is a desperation post

King Al B

Im willing to attempt the repair myself. Question though, would this foam be the same foam thats packed in when you buy a new motherboard? I could just cut a square out of that and put it in the joy-con.

Hes a link to a youtube video with a picture of the foam inside.

https://youtu.be/pmfkTfPnX64

boiled goose

good with gravy
Should be a swap at retail level but I guess stock isn't widely available for that.

So they didn't do extensive QA at one facility then? Still seems like a bad mistake.

You really have no understanding of how manufacturing is done. Nintendo is of course ultimately responsible, but this issue could have happened at multiple levels.

For example all facilities validated. Then after mass production begins one facility slightly alters protocol. Control still functional, so it slips through basic checks.

It could be a production facilitys "fault" even if Nintendo is the one responsible to consumers. I hate being put in a position to defend Nintendo since I criticize them so often, but keep criticism justfied.

Seik

Banned
Yes. .typical fan boy exposed...pathetic response. ..I don't even own a switch or want one

Did you at least read the post he quoted?

I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm, but if it's real, I mean, just use your head before saying he's a fanboy, exposed, pathetic or whatever fits your narrative. :lol

A company will never ever pay you money on top of repairing your shit. They'll be glad to repair it for free, but getting paid? Unless you return/sell your console you won't see any dough and that is for any company out there.

(I'm talking about real cash, not a free game or anything like that.)

Skulldead

What's wrong with this statement? There were reviewers who never had this issue. Shoot, the IGN team all have said they've never encountered this issue with their personal ones. I've never had this issue, nor has anyone else I've personally known who own Switches.

Once again, GAF is a small segment of the gaming population in whole, and even here, maybe it's only occurred to 5% of the owners. All these supposed problems with Switches have been pretty small. It's good that Nintendo is taking care of the problems for those that have it, but let's not pretend it has happened to everyone who owns the system.

But at the number of reviewer that got that problem, i'm having hard time to get the "perception" this is a small number. Doesn't help that 3 out 4 of my friend that got a switch, had this problem. But at the same time, you probably right, but the fact that they mention a small number, they look like they are just trying to minimize that's it not a real problem. Happy to see they will fix it for free.

But at the number of reviewer that got that problem, i'm having hard time to get the "perception" this is a small number. Doesn't help that 3 out 4 of my friend that got a switch, had this problem. But at the same time, you probably right, but the fact that they mention a small number, they look like they are just trying to minimize that's it not a real problem. Happy to see they will fix it for free.

Would have been interesting to set up a poll for that here on NeoGaf. I also feel that it's not a small number and that some people might just have a better living room setup where they are getting no problems.

I just contacted Nintendo of Germany and they told me to send it in, but they want me to send in the whole console unless I can exclude the possibility that it's only the left controller that is faulty :/

Guess I am going to wait till I'm done with Zelda...

Deja

My friends and I, a total of 6 units, 3 Neon and 3 Grey: all 3 neon units have desync issues and 1 grey has crazy drift upwards on the gyro of the right con. The other 2 are fine, after all doing the same tests in the same scenario, just switch out connected Joy-Cons to the same system. That's around 65% rate of failure within a small group of people.

Not to mention two of those without the joy-con issues have bent docks (both affecting the grey owners). One is slightly bent, and causing no immediate issues, and the other was so bad it needed to be sent back.

Again, isolated group of users, but I think it's probably more common than people think.

One thing I'm wondering is how many people think they don't have this issue but haven't hit the "use case" where it would occur. One of my friends thought he didn't have issues with his neons, because of where and how he sits, but we tested them all in the same scenario as noted above, and only the grey ones were fine on connection distance, all neons were duff.

I'm also not saying this is just Neon stuff, that's just what we have found between us.

RedRumy3

Sent mine out yesterday they received it today and it's currently in service. Hopefully they ship it out today that would be amazing.

WNognrD.png

Crayon

I just set up a repair for mine with Nintendo. I may not have bothered but I broke my l button in a drop and they will fix it for free so I asked them to do the foam block fix while they're at it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I will probably send mine in to be repaired but after I have finished Breath of the Wild as I will be without any means of playing the game.

This has to be most stupidest post that I have ever read due to the fact it's so far removed from reality.

Has anyone had the issue with the right joy one or is it only the left?

I had issue with the Right one.

Top Bottom