• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Selects: 5 Wii U games coming to Europe on April 15th (TWWHD, DKTF)

LEGO City Undercover is one of the best LEGO games ever made, and also one of the best open-world games ever made. It's just so packed with content and things to do, it's an amazing little game. Only the lack of co-op might be a sad thing for LEGO game fans, but it's still great.

(Also go make a cup of tea when it starts to load, you have time)
Lack of co-op is THE reason I don't own it. Ever since Lego Harry Potter I've exclusively played these with my girlfriend, and City dropping co-op killed it for me. I still can't believe they did that, the entire series has been built around drop-in co-op since the beginning.

ramparter

Banned
New Super Luigi U is pretty rare right? Or is that just the print with the green box?
The only way to play Luigi U as standalone, was to buy this version which is pretty rare yeah.

edit: So New Mario + Luigi U for 25€?? 25€ each?

marmoka

Banned
I'm finally in for Dankey Kang!!

I don't know why I didn't buy it before, I still don't understand. I loved Returns, and I love Retro! I cannot understand myself.

Neifirst

I wonder if each territory got to decide which games to offer as Selects or if this is some experiment to see which titles get a bigger response.

The Wii U gets a lot of crap for its early struggles, but March 2013 gave us Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Need for Speed Most Wanted U, and Lego City Undercover. I sunk so many hours into all three titles that I was more than satisfied with my console purchase.

I would LOVE to have a $20 digital copy of LEGO City in particular.

Nintendo games just sell. THeir systems are the most direct straight to the point games machines I have ever seen. Every one of those games have over 4 million sales?? thats insane!

Finally, WW HD isn't £50 any more.

I shrug my shoulders at Wii Party U. Like many retailers would sell the remotes separately and the stand alone Wii Party U would cost less than this Nintendo selects release. Also does anyone know if this Nintendo Selects version still comes with the silly Gamepad stand?

Yo pay 40€ for that masterpiece it'sworth it
Don't you mean €60?

edit: So New Mario + Luigi U for 25€?? 25€ each?
Read the press release. It is the disc with both games on it. Typically I sold my stand alone versions of the game as I had that disc and now this release makes this disc worth less. However, it is superior to having both games on separate discs (there are some cool bonus features).

Gosh darn is that a mighty fine dose of 2D platforming available there.
Give Tropical Freeze the sales it so richly deserves dammit!

ramparter

Banned
Read the press release. It is the disc with both games on it. Typically I sold my stand alone versions of the game as I had that disc and now this release makes this disc worth less. However, it is superior to having both games on separate discs (there are some cool bonus features).

it's €25 for the disc that contains both games

OK didn't word it that well was actually asking if it was for both or each.

That's great, I wonder how this will affect the price of the Luigi U as dlc. I have Mario digital and Luigi physical but I'd like to have Lugi in digital form for easier access.

I know people are bashing the New series for being kinda stale but these two games are great, they really are two Wii U gems. For 25€ yo get crazy amount of fun and 2d platforming awesomeness. Along with Tropical Freeze are my 3 favourite games on the console.

Craft

> The standard version of New Super Mario Bros. U will be removed from Nintendo eShop on April 15th, and replaced with New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U.

I already own New Super Mario Bros. U digitally but not super Luigi.
Is the Luigi DLC being discounted too or will my version get upgraded?

jaina

lego city undercover! pls come to america

Lego city is awesome

Missing LCU in the title. :p

Seriously, Lego City Undercover is the best lego game out there and a great open world game. It's worth the price even only for the last missions in the story, which are epic. Play it if you haven't done it yet.

I ended up getting LEGO Undercover at release but never played more than an hour of it because it didn't have off TV play, hopefully I get around to it one day.

I quickly lose interest in each GTA because I don't care for the characters. Would Lego City Undercover still be a game for me?

Thank god for Lego City Undercover. That game would sell really well if it was a 20 euro release by now. It's ridiculous how expensive that game still is. (Luckily I just got it on the second hand market and it's a very fun game.)

Where is Pikmin 3 though? That and Wind Waker are the only games I need to get.

One thing is rather confusing, is New Super Mario U + luigi U going to cost 25 euro or 50 euro? It seems like they count them as 2 games. If it's 25 euro, I will probably sell my NSMU & NSLU physical copies for the new one.

jonno394

Just to clear up any confusion with regards to NSMBU+NSLU, it's both games in one package, so should be £19.99

g3s5MKv.jpg

L~A

Is NSMBU + Luigi U £19.99 as a package or each? I was looking up Luigi U this morning and it's selling for £75 second hand!

If Lego City Undercover ever hits £15 I'll grab it.

It's both games on same disc (NSMBU is even being replaced by NSMBU+LU on the eShop as a result).

Hopes this helps Tropical freeze sales and lets more people play it

When I first saw that. I thought it said each game sold 4 million seperately. But that's kinda impossible.
Over 4 million combined isn't actually that much considering it includes the Mario games

That's the Wii U in Europe, so yeah it's not that much.

Also, important notice: Nintendo Land is also getting a Nintendo Selects offering. Though not in all countries, it seems (NUK PR doesn't mention it).

oti

Banned
That was the official price, also that's how much it costs in the eShop. Qucick search in most popular greek shop engine show that the cheapest is 54€.

It's 50€ on Amazon Germany and I've seen it for 40€ around these parts.

I also like that fact that they announced it more than a month before it actually happens. So people can't complain they bought some games a few days before the deal happens.

Hopefully with the NX, they will embrace the 'steam sales' practices.

jariw

Lack of co-op is THE reason I don't own it. Ever since Lego Harry Potter I've exclusively played these with my girlfriend, and City dropping co-op killed it for me. I still can't believe they did that, the entire series has been built around drop-in co-op since the beginning.

Seriously, Lego City: Undercover is not a standard LEGO game... It's really a game of its own, with one of the best Gamepad implementations of any Wii U game. The game is a single player, 2-screen game.

If you want a standard co-op LEGO game, where every game is a carbon copy of each other, there are zillions of them.

Where is Pikmin 3 though? That and Wind Waker are the only games I need to get.

AFAIK, Pikmin 3 is still available as a standard retail release in the NoE territory, not out-of-print like for NoA.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I quickly lose interest in each GTA because I don't care for the characters. Would Lego City Undercover still be a game for me?

Because you don't like the characters in GTA or because you don't care for characters in games in general?

Anyway, in LCU the characters are very good, they practically drive the story, which in my opinion is great. If you like the story you will play that first and then do the rest of the world (I think after the story you are at about 15-20% of completion of the game). If you're not particularly fond of story you can take it slow and do a lot in the world between the missions. The only downside for this is that for some mechanics you need some characters who are unlocked during the story. But there's still plenty to do even without them.

Seriously, Lego City: Undercover is not a standard LEGO game... It's really a game of its own, with one of the best Gamepad implementations of any Wii U game. The game is a single player, 2-screen game.

If you want a standard co-op LEGO game, where every game is a carbon copy of each other, there are zillions of them.

AFAIK, Pikmin 3 is still available as a standard retail release in the NoE territory, not out-of-print like for NoA.

Pikmin 3 is available, but still rather expensive imo. The cheapest price was 40 euro on Amazon.de. I would bite for 25 euro.

And I agree with your Lego City explanation, the gamepad functionality is rather good.

jaina

Because you don't like the characters in GTA or because you don't care for characters in games in general?

Anyway, in LCU the characters are very good, they practically drive the story, which in my opinion is great. If you like the story you will play that first and then do the rest of the world (I think after the story you are at about 15-20% of completion of the game). If you're not particularly fond of story you can take it slow and do a lot in the world between the missions. The only downside for this is that for some mechanics you need some characters who are unlocked during the story. But there's still plenty to do even without them.
I don't like those characters (e.g. Franklin, Michael and Trevor) and thus can't stand to play as them. Usually interesting, relatable and/or fun characters are a major reason to play for me.

Thanks for the answer, at this price I'll check it out. And do the story with unlocks first.

Piccoro

I'm gonna get Mario U, Wind Waker and Donkey Kong.

And everybody should get Wii Party U, I play that game all the time. It's much better than Mario Party.

Kovacs

3D World not being included in this makes absolutely no sense. Especially as it's in the Select range for the US.

Nintendo Land as an inclusion is almost as strange given it was a pack-in for so long and has been available for under the new price for most of its life.

lbs.

Just here to echo the sentiments re: Lego City.
It's still my fav "Lego game."
The lack of co-op is a bummer, but the humour, characters and story feel well above other Lego titles.

Oh! and the last level is EPIC! :)

Edit: Should be mentioned if you have a particular dislike for long load times, they are really bad in this game!

Top Bottom