• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

Lol. That animatronic is awesome.

Indeed it is. It makes it hurt so much more that they've become basically extinct as SFX, replaced by CG that looks horribly unconvincing a couple years later (or, often, from day one). :(

It's NOT a real word. 100%. It is a word made up by idiots who don't realise it is a total tautology (regardless already means regardless, the ir is totally redundant).

According to Wikipedia:
Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795.[1] Most dictionaries list it as nonstandard or incorrect usage, and recommend that "regardless" should be used instead.[2][3][4]

So basically it's a real but incorrect word.

AgeEighty

They only went up to begin with because it seemed people didn't realize Nintendo has very little to do with the game.

It's scary to think about how much ignorance drives something as critical as the stock market.

Because they're scared

Of what?

Nintendo performing well in the markets does not automatically mean Sony performs poorly. Especially when the reason for that good performance is a product that doesn't compete with anything Sony makes.

SomTervo

Surely Go has boosted the brand, though? Like a thousand fold?

Surely it will impact them by proxy through the new DS games and any other Pokémon-related product they release. They could pop on a 70 pence shit little Pokémon app on the store, doing anything, and make millions upon millions.

Trup1aya

Man, how does Nintendo negotiate a mere 13% of stake in this game?

As baffling as that is, i imagined that the stock jump was more based on future prospects of other Nintendo IP's going mobile.

SomTervo

Vena, you're better than this. Irregardless is not a word.

It's NOT a real word. 100%. It is a word made up by idiots who don't realise it is a total tautology (regardless already means regardless, the ir is totally redundant).

If you can understand its meaning, it's a real word. Doesn't matter how redundant or not. It's a functioning linguistic form.

I said to a builder helping around my house last week - "this wall is definitely plasterable".

You won't find 'plasterable' in any dictionary. Doesn't stop it being a real word that follows grammatical logic.

Asd202

As baffling as that is, i imagined that the stock jump was more based on future prospects of other Nintendo IP's going mobile.

If it was the shares wouldn't have plunged as they did on this "news". Let's not kid ourselves most bought to gain quick buck not build a long term relationship.

Shows how poorly investors prepare when deciding to take a plunge. If they would have done even just a small amount of research , they would have seen that Nintendo was never going to profit heavily from this. It's a Niantic-Pokemon Company joint. The app will likely still skyrocket, so maybe they should invest in Niantic stock instead.

gcubed

Because a lot goes other places. 30% of all sales to Google and Apple. Google is a large investor in niantic even after they spun them out, then Niantic who made the game and then you have the other partners in the Pokemon company

Wildean

The stock price will find its level, but I'd be concerned Go may have raised expectations a little high for NX and future in house mobile ventures. I think Animal Crossing could do well, but it is not going to have this kind of reach.

Gator86

The stock price will find its level, but I'd be concerned Go may have raised expectations a little high for NX and future in house mobile ventures. I think Animal Crossing could do well, but it is not going to have this kind of reach.

There's nothing Nintendo can put out that's going to outperform the first mobile Pokémon game, especially one that's free and leverages social connections. I'm not even sure what it would be.

Birathen

book-buy-sell-sell-sm.jpg

doesn’t expect to revise its annual forecast higher based on "current conditions." It also said sales of Pokemon Go Plus, a Nintendo-produced accessory for the game, have already been factored into its existing profit forecast.

This should be in bold in the OP. The stock is not going down due to people realizing the Pokemon Company is not Nintendo. Investors were trying to get in prior to earnings which they expected to be a significant beat on expectations due to Pokemon.

Wildean

There's nothing Nintendo can put out that's going to outperform the first mobile Pokémon game, especially one that's free and leverages social connections. I'm not even sure what it would be.

It's not the first; there was Shuffle. But no, can't see them getting even remotely near this level of success.

domlolz

Banned
Pretty much serves them right for not taking mobile seriously. This should be the biggest wake up call of all time that people want Nintendo games on non-Nintendo hardware.

mobile gaming is fucking garbage and its cool how nintendo are basically using it as an advertising platform for their console (good) games

the mobile gaming market shouldn't be taken seriously

Busaiku

They could pop on a 70 pence shit little Pokémon app on the store, doing anything, and make millions upon millions.
There are several other Pokémon games on mobile, nobody cares.
Not the first mobile Pokémon game.

LordOfChaos

Just goes to show how much stocks are fuzzy money. Up 11 billion over night, down 6 billion on a word. Did those initial investors not know Nintendo only has a partial stake in the actual Pokemon company?

Vancouver

Headlines such as

Nintendo shares plummet after investors realize it doesn't actually make Pokémon Go

Almost read like an Onion article

Papacheeks

Banned
How does Nintendo have only 13% stake in the app?

That's madness.

Because they don't own pokemon, they only have 32% stake/share in pokemon Co. They also mostly fronted less than 20 Million for backend of the app to use googles infrastructure. They don't own pokemon just they are the main publisher for console games of pokemon.

Which is why me along with pachter and few other business articles think this will actually put NIntendo in a worse position. Because all the hype surrounding the huge over night success of the app puts pressure on them to develop their own mobile games that may or may not measure up to pokemon's success.

4Tran

What I think that Pokemon Go demonstrates is that the market for Nintendo products is pretty high as long as the barriers to entry are low. Pokemon Go's barriers are basically nonexistent so it can reach a wide audience. Not having much actual gameplay helps here as it further lowers the barriers. I don't think that it means too much for Nintendo's non-mobile prospects, and not even that much for any of their mobile ones for that matter. Pokemon is sort of unique in being intrinsically appealing in a Tamagatchi way without the need for any intrusive gameplay.

Nintendo should really look into snatching up Niantic though. It's obvious that those guys are onto something, and it'd be terrible if they got picked up by Tencent or someone like that.

Anth0ny

mobile gaming is fucking garbage and its cool how nintendo are basically using it as an advertising platform for their console (good) games

the mobile gaming market shouldn't be taken seriously

except no one is playing pokemon go and thinking "woah, I've got pokemon fever! time to buy a $100 2DS and the new, $40 pokemon with a bunch of new pokemon I don't care about this november!"

nowadays, most peoples "gaming" experience starts and ends with mobile.

j-wood

You really don't understand how Pokémon ownership is. Nintendo never gets 100% stake in them

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721&page=1#post155571604

You do know there has been a craptonne of Pokémon games on mobile platforms over the last 5 years and this is the first to do well.

Just because this does well doesn't mean all will

This shows a massive lack of understanding in Nintendo's ownership of Pokémon, investment in Pokémon GO and involvement in Pokémon GO, as well as a lack of historical data showing Pokémon on mobile's lack of success before now

Yeah no

Is that not...literally exactly what I was highlighting? You are a fool if you don't think the suits at nintendo wish they had been more involved and had more of a stake in the app.

Rodin

How does Nintendo have only 13% stake in the app?

That's madness.
It's a guess from an analyst. I understand that the article isn't great but at least read it guys.
Because they don't own pokemon, they only have 32% stake/share in pokemon Co. They also mostly fronted less than 20 Million for backend of the app to use googles infrastructure. They don't own pokemon just they are the main publisher for console games of pokemon.

Which is why me along with pachter and few other business articles think this will actually put NIntendo in a worse position. Because all the hype surrounding the huge over night success of the app puts pressure on them to develop their own mobile games that may or may not measure up to pokemon's success.
I suggest you take a look at this post:

Poor joe keeps linking it around but nobody bothers to read it lol

If you can understand its meaning, it's a real word. Doesn't matter how redundant or not. It's a functioning linguistic form.

I said to a builder helping around my house last week - "this wall is definitely plasterable".

You won't find 'plasterable' in any dictionary. Doesn't stop it being a real word that follows grammatical logic.

Plasterable would mean able to be plastered. Irregardless is used, incorrectly, as the word regardless. The prefix 'irr' (as found in words like irrespective or irredeemable) reverse the meaning of the word they're attached to, so even as a 'made up' word (yes, yes, they all are) it fails to mean what it's intended to mean.

Being wrong a whole bunch of times doesn't make something right, but I'm irrcertain you know that.

domlolz

Banned
Because they are grossly understimating the potential of the mobile market, and see it as mere tool to salvage their declining dedicated hardware business.

mobile gaming is garbage and anyone who actually wants nintendo to seriously develop mobile game and focus resources on developing mobile games doesn't actually care about games as a medium and wants one of the most consistent and greatest developers to participate in the hyper capitalistic race to the bottom that is the mobile gaming

you want to destroy gaming

domlolz

Banned
except no one is playing pokemon go and thinking "woah, I've got pokemon fever! time to buy a $100 2DS and the new, $40 pokemon with a bunch of new pokemon I don't care about this november!"

nowadays, most peoples "gaming" experience starts and ends with mobile.

they are actually, its entirely anecdotal but several friends are buying pokemon games after playing go. i imagine they arent the only ones

Is that not...literally exactly what I was highlighting? You are a fool if you don't think the suits at nintendo wish they had been more involved and had more of a stake in the app.

Maybe. But I think it's kind of oversimplifying things to assume that Nintendo shot themselves in the foot here for a crummy licensing deal. What's the alternative idea here? That the Sun and Moon team should have developed something themselves for mobile? What would the percentage cut of that even be?

I don't necessarily think the takeaway here is that Pokemon Go hasn't been great for Nintendo. It's just also apparently not the cash cow for Nintendo specifically that reactionaries that saw this as another hit by Nintendo thought. I'm not sure that Nintendo going it alone would have been more fruitful as the game is built on tech that Nintendo doesn't have expertise with. And I think we need more information about the specific breakdowns to understand whether or not Nintendo should be in a better position in terms of their ownership stake here.

Izuna

Banned
mobile gaming is garbage and anyone who actually wants nintendo to seriously develop mobile game and focus resources on developing mobile games doesn't actually care about games as a medium and wants one of the most consistent and greatest developers to participate in the hyper capitalistic race to the bottom that is the mobile gaming

Hahahahaha

I just want to make it clear that this sort of system wars garbage is absolutely bannable.

Sarek

Shows how poorly investors prepare when deciding to take a plunge. If they would have done even just a small amount of research , they would have seen that Nintendo was never going to profit heavily from this. It's a Niantic-Pokemon Company joint. The app will likely still skyrocket, so maybe they should invest in Niantic stock instead.

It was pretty funny last week when people here were mocking others for saying that some investors might not realize that Nintendo only owns small portion of the game. When history has proven time, and time again, that even major institutional investors don't always research their investments properly.

4Tran

Maybe. But I think it's kind of oversimplifying things to assume that Nintendo shot themselves in the foot here for a crummy licensing deal. What's the alternative idea here? That the Sun and Moon team should have developed something themselves for mobile? What would the percentage cut of that even be?

I don't necessarily think the takeaway here is that Pokemon Go hasn't been great for Nintendo. It's just also apparently not the cash cow for Nintendo specifically that reactionaries that saw this as another hit by Nintendo thought. I'm not sure that Nintendo going it alone would have been more fruitful as the game is built on tech that Nintendo doesn't have expertise with. And I think we need more information about the specific breakdowns to understand whether or not Nintendo should be in a better position in terms of their ownership stake here.
I don't know if any company other than Niantic could have made Pokemon Go. It heavily leverages all of the technology and ideas that went into their previous game, Ingress, and most of the selling points stem from that. This is one of the reasons why Niantic would be such a good pick up for Nintendo.

Anth0ny

they are actually, its entirely anecdotal but several friends are buying pokemon games after playing go. i imagine they arent the only ones

my experience is entirely opposite. friends who are obsessed with pokemon go laughed in my face when i asked if they'll buy sun/moon this holiday.

anything newer than the first 250 are "shit".

I don't know if any company other than Niantic could have made Pokemon Go. It heavily leverages all of the technology and ideas that went into their previous game, Ingress, and most of the selling points stem from that. This is one of the reasons why Niantic would be such a good pick up for Nintendo.

Right. Some sort of internally-developed game would have been completely different. And what are the alternative suggestions here in terms of Nintendo having a bigger piece of this pie? That they should have played hardball for more ownership share? Like I said, I feel like it's kind of hard to argue that point without understanding the complexity of the current situation. Pokemon isn't Mario (i.e. a franchise they completely own), and iOS/Android aren't Nintendo hardware where this is first party software.

It's a guess from an analyst. I understand that the article isn't great but at least read it guys.

I suggest you take a look at this post:

Poor joe keeps linking it around but nobody bothers to read it lol

Did read the article. My question still stands.

Because they are grossly understimating the potential of the mobile market, and see it as mere tool to salvage their declining dedicated hardware business.

Now those are the answers I was looking for - thanks guys. Insightful stuff. Had no idea they didn't actually own Pokemon in its entirety.

CEO

Wow. There you have it. Evidence that Stock markets are beyond fucked up... gotta close'em all.
Some idiots get to decide whats worth what without the slightest understanding of... oh and we got
into politics.

Busaiku

my experience is entirely opposite. friends who are obsessed with pokemon go laughed in my face when i asked if they'll buy sun/moon this holiday.

anything newer than the first 250 are "shit".
Sales of the games are up in UK (as well as merchandise amd hardware sales here) and Japan.
Pokémon sales were also up in Gamestop.

Anth0ny

someone needs to make a nice graphic explaining how much of pokemon nintendo owns, exactly, and how much they're making off pokemon go after the niantic/pokemon company/google/apple split

we have some great, details posts but in 2016 people don't read. we need big dumb pictures

driver116

Of what?

Nintendo performing well in the markets does not automatically mean Sony performs poorly. Especially when the reason for that good performance is a product that doesn't compete with anything Sony makes.

It's a joke. Forget the 14-page thread posted last week?

4Tran

Right. Some sort of internally-developed game would have been completely different. And what are the alternative suggestions here in terms of Nintendo having a bigger piece of this pie? That they should have played hardball for more ownership share? Like I said, I feel like it's kind of hard to argue that point without understanding the complexity of the current situation. Pokemon isn't Mario (i.e. a franchise they completely own), and iOS/Android aren't Nintendo hardware where this is first party software.
The only option was to buy up Niantic. It looks like they grabbed a chunk of it, but refrained from picking up the whole company. But that's in hindsight; I don't think that Nintendo was in the position, both financially and institutionally, to go around acquiring companies that are so different from themselves.

They should have bought Niantic 2 years ago, let them develop GO and now their cut would have been considerably higher.

But that could had only happened if they saw mobile gaming as anything else that as a stupid marketing tool.

Top Bottom