• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddish1

I don't understand why Nintendo isn't going all out. Why always the holding back? This is the first year of the Switch, a console that has to make sure Nintendo still is around in 10 years after the wiiu disaster.

Why show 25 minutes of games at E3? Why not an hour? 2 hours?! Why is your NOA PR man Reggie talking about it in a way that makes the whole thing sound boring and unexciting? My hype is already historically low for Nintendos E3, but Nintendo plays a role in that for sure.

Having consistent software for your system and strong marketing is more important for the success of a console than E3 is. Now E3 is part of that marketing but even that isn't as important as things like games sites covering it and advertisements to more general audiences. Whether good or not, this E3 will not determine Nintendo's success for the coming year.

Smellycat

Are people forgetting about Beyond Good and Evil 2? I think there is a chance we will see a teaser either at the Ubisoft or Nintendo conference (if the rumors of Nintendo funding it are true)

18-Volt

2 mins: Reggie talking about the "Summer of Gaming" with Splatoon 2, Arms, and Pokken
3 mins: 3DS sizzle reel
2 mins: trailer of Mario x Rabbids
4 mins: developer interview with Michel Ancel about his collaboration with Miyamoto to make this possible
4 mins: Xenoblade X
8 mins: Mario Odyssey blowout!
1 min: update from Niantic and Pokemon Go's 1 year anniversary plans.
1 min: ANIMAL CROSSING mobile
5 mins: Nindies sizzle reel, showing about 10 games with roughly 30 seconds of footage each
0 mins: Thank you, and please enjoy seeing these games in action during our Treehouse presentation!

Oh, let me try this too

7 mins: Mario Odyssey, showcasing new worlds and powerups
3 mins: Splatoon 2
2 mins: Xenobalde 2, coming december
2 mins: Tokyo Mirage Sessions port, coming in August
3 mins: Fire Emblem Warriors, out october
2 mins: Pilotwings Resort 2 out november
2 mins: Sin&Punishment 3, early 2018
Finale: 4 mins: Fire Emblem Switch reveal, coming may 2018 for Japan, summer 2018 for west

First hour of Treehouse: 3DS games including Pokémon Ultra SunMoon (2 new Alolan pokémon reveal), Lady Layton, Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga remake, Yokai Watch 3, Monster Hunter XX (switch version too) MH Stories, DQ Monsters Joker 3 and a surprise new Kirby game. Some third party switch games including Sonic Forces, WWE 2K18, BlazBlue.

Having consistent software for your system and strong marketing is more important for the success of a console than E3 is. Now E3 is part of that marketing but even that isn't as important as things like games sites covering it and advertisements to more general audiences. Whether good or not, this E3 will not determine Nintendo's success for the coming year.

But it's our Christmas!

/calm

Shahadan

They could litterally just talk about mario for 30 minutes and then release only Mario and nothing else in October/November/December and their console will probably still sell out by itself.

Anything more than that depends on their financial goals and if they have many games already planned for 2018 or not.
The more interesting thing will be to figure out if they had planned to have third parties fill out the void next year, and how did this pan out.

I doubt they can maintain a game a month in 2018, even with ports.

Not

Banned
I don't understand why Nintendo isn't going all out. Why always the holding back? This is the first year of the Switch, a console that has to make sure Nintendo still is around in 10 years after the wiiu disaster.

Why show 25 minutes of games at E3? Why not an hour? 2 hours?! Why is your NOA PR man Reggie talking about it in a way that makes the whole thing sound boring and unexciting? My hype is already historically low for Nintendos E3, but Nintendo plays a role in that for sure.

I think it's something to do with not putting all their eggs in one big basket, or they're trying to recreate the "one game stealing the show" thing from last year. Either way, it's the usual lovable misguided BS from our favorite game company

jariw

Didn't they say the reveals basically are during 25 mins+1 hour? And if you count all the Treehouse Live footage, you'll probably have something like 10-20 hours of Switch game footage? If length is what's important to you.

Oersted

We are talking about ads here. While a conference can be special, mostly all for the wrong reasons(I love that), its totally not necessary to spread the word.

Most recent example the Black Panther Teaser. Or hell, the Switch introduction trailer at the end of last year did also a perfect job.

Neonep

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has a direct in January talking about all the 2018 releases.

I think that works for Nintendo. A direct in January to show kinda the year ahead, a few smaller, more focused directs February - May, then an E3 direct, and then smaller directs July -December. Rinse and repeat.

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has a direct in January talking about all the 2018 releases.

I think that works for Nintendo. A direct in January to show kinda the year ahead, a few smaller, more focused directs February - May, then an E3 direct, and then smaller directs July -December. Rinse and repeat.

Nintendo should announce a date for that Direct at E3 then. Don't worry guys, we will show lots of awesome 2018 games on january 20 2018. Then they have their own seperate E3.

Oersted

They did not, ancel only commented that we shouldnt expect it anytime soon or something like that. Which unless he is doing a red herring, kinda shoots down the rumors

I expect nothing, just like I expect barely any big surprises due to lack of leaks outside Rabbids, but these statements can amount to anything.

iMerc

The Switch is still selling like hotcakes.

a bit OT, but i just googled what 'hotcakes' are, and they're actually just plain pancakes?!
i mean i get it's a metaphor, but why not just call them pancakes. Food for thought. literally.
i always wondered what they were; were they freshly baked cakes out of the oven still piping hot, were they cupcakes with melted hot icing, or cookies that were soft and chewy, or were they a unique kind of cake altogether.

also the colours on my monitor are moving and in 3d. awesome.

Yes, it's almost like Nintendo wants to sell lots of Switch units to places like Japan as well?

Why focus on such a small market though? Japan isn't the massive sales market it once was. Selling 1m units in Japan and 300k elsewhere seems trivial compared to selling 3m elsewhere and 200k in Japan.

Made this card with all of Nintendo's franchises (so no one-off IPs), will be interesting to see how it looks by the end of the Switch's life. If I missed anything please tell me.

Unless I'm mistaken Mario x Rabbids is basically the Paper Mario formula of game. A Mario RPG.

Neoxon

Oh, let me try this too

7 mins: Mario Odyssey, showcasing new worlds and powerups
3 mins: Splatoon 2
2 mins: Xenobalde 2, coming december
2 mins: Tokyo Mirage Sessions port, coming in August
3 mins: Fire Emblem Warriors, out october
2 mins: Pilotwings Resort 2 out november
2 mins: Sin&Punishment 3, early 2018
Finale: 4 mins: Fire Emblem Switch reveal, coming may 2018 for Japan, summer 2018 for west

First hour of Treehouse: 3DS games including Pokémon Ultra SunMoon (2 new Alolan pokémon reveal), Lady Layton, Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga remake, Yokai Watch 3, Monster Hunter XX (switch version too) MH Stories, DQ Monsters Joker 3 and a surprise new Kirby game. Some third party switch games including Sonic Forces, WWE 2K18, BlazBlue.
So I take it that you're buying into the 4chan rumor?

Because you should never go full Microsoft conference. My god I can't believe some people would actually prefer a long drawn out showing like that. Literally the most boring toss I've watched in quite a while.

AniHawk

Why focus on such a small market though? Japan isn't the massive sales market it once was. Selling 1m units in Japan and 300k elsewhere seems trivial compared to selling 3m elsewhere and 200k in Japan.

they can sell 20 million units there and get quite a lot of third-party support as a result, especially if ps4 stays at 80k a month and switch starts doing 120k or more a month.

JnFnRu

I just pray there won't be time wasted on ARMS and Spla2oon in the Spotlight (and I love both games) but we've seen enough and this needs to be hype for whats to come.

I also just had this crazy idea with all this cross gaming Microsoft - Nintendo going on vs Sony left out ( for now). Imagine a scenario where M and N build the next console together?!

Sami+

Because you should never go full Microsoft conference. My god I can't believe some people would actually prefer a long drawn out showing like that. Literally the most boring toss I've watched in quite a while.

Yeah Microsoft always drags really bad, but honestly I still think 30 min is pretty short. Sony hit the perfect sweet spot last year imo.

I'm really hoping that with those 30 minutes it's literally nothing but new games and none of those dumb skits.

The Bethesda showing's going to make an interesting comparison to Nintendo- roughly a half-hour long, mostly pre-recorded, mostly (exclusively?) focused on 2017 games.

Given all of that, Bethesda's felt surprisingly... draggy. Could very easily have been trimmed down and punched up. I can see Nintendo's being a lot denser.

JoeM86

The much beloved Nintendo Digital Event in 2014 only showed 10 games because it had endless amounts of fluff.

Nintendo are trimming out the fluff continually and shifting things like developers talking about their games and gameplay demos to Treehouse Live

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I'd be more than chuffed with coverage on Mario Odyssey, Ultra Sun and Moon, Pokken, and a Switch Animal Crossing.
I only have doubts about the last one so pretty damn hyped.

duckroll

Damn. I missed his meltdown. I feel maybe I could have intervened. It didn't need to end like this. :(

Wtf. I hope he gets the help he needs.... T_T

they can sell 20 million units there and get quite a lot of third-party support as a result, especially if ps4 stays at 80k a month and switch starts doing 120k or more a month.

The Wii only sold 12.75m and the Wii U 3.36m. Even the 3DS just barely cleared 23m after 6 years on the market. I find it really difficult to believe this thing will do that well in Japan. I also don't think Japanese third parties are their problem--they already have a few of those--it's literally everyone else. I don't think it's fair to expect 3DS numbers (a handheld disproportionately successful in Japan) and compare it to the PS4 (a home console). The Switch is in the same vein but inherently different from the 3DS--at this point the 3DS has a massive back catalog of DS/DSi games and several entries in series that the Japanese audience loves. If Nintendo seriously wanted to focus on Japan, the Switch would have launched with Monster Hunter and a Pokemon.

Mediking

25 minutes sounds too short yet awesome at the same time. But still... at least tease Smash or something else huge. Don't just put it all for the Jan Direct.

Heyt

Banned
I have faith in the new format. I expect them to cover Mario, FE-W, Xeno 2, FE Switch and Rabbids on the presentation pus 3-6 new Nintendo produced/distributed games and/or meaningfull third party exclusives plus details of other games we already know and smaller announcemets.

Then more Splatoon 2, Pokken DX and Arms news at the tournaments. Then ton of 3DS news and showcases at Treehose along with some small reveals for Switch.

I think they know they have to keep switch momentum going well into 2018 and this is the time and place to do it.

Wamb0wneD

So...whose hoping for the last story 2?

Here. Me. :p

The Nintendo fanbase needs me

I'm not the hero you want, I'm the hero you deserve

y'all always go to disarray in my absence. But I am here fam, jmon with me

Dud1a5g.gif

Zedark

Damn. I missed his meltdown. I feel maybe I could have intervened. It didn't need to end like this. :(

Wtf. I hope he gets the help he needs.... T_T

I can feel absolutely no sympathy for people who tell others to kill himself personally. Good riddance imo.

OT: Reggie's comments to me seem aimed at tempering expectations for the spotlight. I wonder how much they are going to tell us in that first hour of the spotlight: if they can have a couple of big announcements in the spotlight and delegate some smaller exclusives and third party games to the Treehouse, that would be great. I'm going in with tempered expectations, so I should not be disappointed in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom