• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stop selling digital FIST PARTY game codes for European retailers

royox

Official statement from Nintendo:

"After a careful examination of the evolving European market in recent years, Nintendo has decided to end the availability of download codes for its software published through retailers, starting from 1 July 2020. Customers will still be able to purchase Nintendo eShop funds , Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions and additional content such asExpansion Pass for Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, at retailers across Europe. Download codes for Nintendo Switch software from other publishers will still be available. We are always studying new avenues and will continue to work on new methods to bring Nintendo eShop content to as many players as possible“.

So Nintendo fucks European people in the ass again taking out the possibility to buy our digital games with a better price than their useless anti-consumer Eshop. You want 4 years old games? Go pay 60€ for physical or in the Eshop.

SOURCE

Scumbags. I'll never pay full price in the e-shop.

Nintendo are gonna get left behind by the MS / Sony war for supremacy. I hope the other two keep the deals coming, put GamePass and PS Plus front and centre.

Do Nintendo see themselves as the Disney of video games or something? The absolute gall and ego of trying to position a company like that just 4 years after the Wii U. Absolutely hilarious. I hope this backfires badly.

The Shepard

This is bad, you could get animal crossing for £30 digital and was the only reason I brought it. They want to monopolise there own store it seems for maximum profit. This is what greed looks like, hopefully there's a big enough backslash they reverse it. Wouldn't supprise me if eshop credits are next on the menu.

£50 from Nintendo

£30 elsewhere for comparison

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Scumbags. I'll never pay full price in the e-shop.

Nintendo are gonna get left behind by the MS / Sony war for supremacy. I hope the other two keep the deals coming, put GamePass and PS Plus front and centre.

Do Nintendo see themselves as the Disney of video games or something? The absolute gall and ego of trying to position a company like that just 4 years after the Wii U. Absolutely hilarious. I hope this backfires badly.

While I'm not defending the move, they're not gonna get "left behind". They're not directly competing with Sony/MS, and yet at the same time the Switch managed to outsell the Xbone in half the time. The WiiU may have been a disaster, but don't forget that the 3DS absolutely wasn't, and the Switch is also the new Nintendo handheld, not just a console.

Nintendo will be just fine. They've always been greedy with their core first party game prices. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is always in the charts, hell, even Smash still is I think.

What absolute wankers.

On the plus side between my work giving me a 10% discount on shops I can buy their vouchers from and the Nintendo Online vouchers, I should be able to get their new releases for £37.80, but this is still a blatantly anti consumer move that will adversely effect a lot of their customers.

SirTerry-T

My nails are trimmed too. Just relax.
Q9v0EkP.jpg

tkscz

All considering, this sounds like a Nintendo move. They still charge $60 for certain WiiU games on the WiiU eShop. If they can make it so you still pay full price, they'll find a way to do it.

And yes, it took a lot of will power to not make a fisting joke.

Last edited:
So does this mean no more cheap codes from places like CD Keys? If so, that sucks.

Really good to give consumers less choice Nintendo.

Psychostar

Guess now is a good time to set up a US eshop account before they start locking us out of those options. I can see them locking this feature soon if this is the route they're taking.

Whrn I first saw the title, I assumed it were only Digital Pre-Orders, but not Codes.

This will likely piss off the retailers that use them to entice people to go inside their already expensive marked up games.

In the UK at least, you may see Retailers retaliate in some form by stocking less games and marking them up even more to make up that lost revenue.

I hope the EU sees this as anti-competition and fine them once more as limiting choices for Customers will only get them more hostility in the future.

That's a shame. My library is fully digital, so it sucks to have fewer options.

On the other hand I've hardly used any digital codes. I've been buying eShop funds at a discount online, then buying game vouchers with those funds to end up at around the €40 mark for new games.

Rathalos

Banned
I always buy Nintendo games physical, they hold their value so well you can usually get most of your money back on eBay after you complete it.

While I'm not defending the move, they're not gonna get "left behind". They're not directly competing with Sony/MS, and yet at the same time the Switch managed to outsell the Xbone in half the time. The WiiU may have been a disaster, but don't forget that the 3DS absolutely wasn't, and the Switch is also the new Nintendo handheld, not just a console.

Nintendo will be just fine. They've always been greedy with their core first party game prices. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is always in the charts, hell, even Smash still is I think.
I was more making a reference to the landscape of gaming shifting. I do think we're heading towards a subscription based model in the future and I think PS5 and XBSX are going to go harder down that path. It'll be interesting if the idea of dropping 60 bones on a single game becomes more and more unpalatable as the generation evolves. I've heard talk of some games trying to creep up to 70 or 80, but outside stuff like Call of Duty and RDR2, I don't how many games can demand that in the space of one year and still have great sales.

With Nintendo, I'll always be happy to drop 60 (or slightly less bought physical) on a new Mario, Zelda or Xenoblande, but if they think they can get away with stuff like this for ports, remasters and stuff like Mario Party, they're having a laugh.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Never underestimate the level of self-harm the Nintendo fan boys are willing to inflict upon themselves in defence of their beloved Nintendo.

How can nintendo simultaneously be the last bastion of real games with real game design and one of the greediest gaming companies in existence ?
Its genuinely sad to see Nintendo lower themselves to an EA level of scumbaggery.
How do we get BotW on one hand and then 20 shitty pokemon games that each nickel and dime thier customers for all they are worth on the other ?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was more making a reference to the landscape of gaming shifting. I do think we're heading towards a subscription based model in the future and I think PS5 and XBSX are going to go harder down that path. It'll be interesting if the idea of dropping 60 bones on a single game becomes more and more unpalatable as the generation evolves. I've heard talk of some games trying to creep up to 70 or 80, but outside stuff like Call of Duty and RDR2, I don't how many games can demand that in the space of one year and still have great sales.

With Nintendo, I'll always be happy to drop 60 (or slightly less bought physical) on a new Mario, Zelda or Xenoblande, but if they think they can get away with stuff like this for ports, remasters and stuff like Mario Party, they're having a laugh.

Disagree with Playstation, I think they're well aware of the quality of their first party titles and know that they can easily get away with releasing them as full priced products. If you go to the EU PS store right now, it actually costs more to pre-order Crash Bandicoot 4 than it does to buy any current new game, even a blockbuster like TLOU2. They're gearing up for the new wave of pricing where individual games digitally cost a little more.

The same rings true for Nintendo. They know how well their first party games are going to sell, they don't need subscription-based gaming in the same way that MS do. Hell, their online service freebies are fucking NES/SNES games of all things. And the thing is, they can keep getting away with it. MK8 Deluxe is a port with (I think) a few new shiny parts tacked on and it's very much still a full price game which regularly enters the charts again and again. People will pay for that Nintendo seal of quality regardless of the game being over 6 years old at this point.

Last edited:
Disagree with Playstation, I think they're well aware of the quality of their first party titles and know that they can easily get away with releasing them as full priced products. If you go to the EU PS store right now, it actually costs more to pre-order Crash Bandicoot 4 than it does to buy any current new game, even a blockbuster like TLOU2. They're gearing up for the new wave of pricing where individual games digitally cost a little more.

The same rings true for Nintendo. They know how well their first party games are going to sell, they don't need subscription-based gaming in the same way that MS do. Hell, their online service freebies are fucking NES/SNES games of all things. And the thing is, they can keep getting away with it. MK8 Deluxe is a port with (I think) a few new shiny parts tacked on and it's very much still a full price game which regularly enters the charts again and again. People will pay for that Nintendo seal of quality regardless of the game being over 6 years old at this point.
I see your point regarding PlayStation as well, but I'm unsure about how "all in" MS are gonna go in order to get that first place. I'm sure Sony will have to react in some way if things get crazy. Having the loved IP is a bonus for them, of course, but as I said, it'll be interesting how it plays out over the gen.

People will pay for the Ninty SOQ, no doubt. Mario Kart has always been a smash hit, along with Mario, Zelda (for the most part), Animal Crossing and Smash Bros. It's the sales of "B-tier" titles like Kirby, Yoshi, DK etc. that may suffer if they can't be bought cheaper. I suppose they could introduce a two-tier pricing system like they sort of did with Smash and Zelda, which were both 70 dollars at launch AFAIK.

MK8 is a port of the Wii U game with the DLC included. I bought the original, the DLC and the new game all on day 1 like the disgusting fanboy I am...

Top Bottom