• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sue creators of emulator "Yuzu".

Inb4 spoiler protections become law. :p

Edit: OG tweet was deleted, but I always have backups just in case. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

image.png

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Never going to hold up in court. The emulator requires you to dump your personal bios to it for it to boot. They're not providing the access keys. Maybe Nintendo is looking to sue them and then "settle it" behind closed doors by bribing them to quit. Would outwards send the message they won.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm a huge fan of emulation and probably play more emulated (classic) games than I do normal games...

But frankly, emulating a current system is not the same as preserving classic systems. The good use of emulation is preservation. If you can't wait for the generation to be completed and are already emulating a current-gen system and therefore enabling mass piracy of new software titles, you're asking for a confrontation.

And there is nothing illegal about that if you own the game and rip it yourself.

I have no idea about that but it's a slippery line of thought

I mean to run Switch software on PC requires to "reverse engineer" software and hardware that are copyrighted

It's true that emulation doesn't mean piracy in itself but let's be realistic, the end result is the same for the vast majority of people.

I don't actually believe people rip their own games and they have a Switch console while emulating those very same games

It's just a pipedream

Let’s hope they saved up all that patreon money, they are gonna need it, not sure what Nintendo is trying to achieve here, no judge is gonna make emulation illegal 😂

I'm a huge fan of emulation and probably play more emulated (classic) games than I do normal games...

But frankly, emulating a current system is not the same as preserving classic systems. The good use of emulation is preservation. If you can't wait for the generation to be completed and are already emulating a current-gen system and therefore enabling mass piracy of new software titles, you're asking for a confrontation.

Happy If You Say So GIF

Red5

I have no idea about that but it's a slippery line of thought

I mean to run Switch software on PC requires to "reverse engineer" software and hardware that are copyrighted

It's true that emulation doesn't mean piracy in itself but let's be realistic, the end result is the same for the vast majority of people.

I don't actually believe people rip their own games and they have a Switch console while emulating those very same games

It's just a pipedream

Which is perfectly legal under fair use copyright laws.

Topher

Gold Member

Sure and if that's how you feel about emulation then don't emulate current systems. That doesn't apply to anyone but you though. Factually, if I rip a game from my Nintendo cartredge, for whatever reason I want, and play it in an emulator then I have broken no laws. Neither has Tropic Haze.

RedPyramidHead

Gold Member
Yuzu allows people to play Switch games at respectable frame rates and resolutions unlike Nintendo's garbage system.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Tears of the Kingdom was fully playable on Nintendo’s hardware, which they released with a vulnerability allowing unlicensed code to be run in 2017. Can they connect those 1m downloads to Yuzu and not people like my uncle who just downloaded the ROM and put it on their official hardware? Doubt.jpg

If they’re using any copyrighted or otherwise prohibited code, fine. But don’t point to those download figures as if pirates can’t just run their software on soft modded, stock hardware.

Top Bottom