• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

ggx2ac

861910.gif

$30

I mean, Yomawari, Neptunia, something something.

Edit: Already beaten.

synce

Just checked Amazon and I'm shocked for two reasons. It's in stock and it's the same price as the much older PS4, which I'm predicting will be getting a price drop in 3, 2...

Funny story, when I pointed out that the Switch had been #1 5 out of the 7 months it's has been out, he downplayed it further saying the PS4 and One had been out for years, so that this was to be expected.

When I then pointed out that the Switch had not gone through its first Holiday yet and was released in March, I never got an answer.
Colin Moriarty being salty over the Switch's success is like extra icing on an icing-laden cake.

Just checked Amazon and I'm shocked for two reasons. It's in stock and it's the same price as the much older PS4, which I'm predicting will be getting a price drop in 3, 2...

Not that shocking considering the Switch is a brand new device. It may not match up with PS4 in terms of power, but the portability and crazy tech inside the box is impressive. Worth every penny, IMO.

DesmondGreer

Neo Member
So I played the Nintendo switch for the first time at a target last week, and loved it! But the $300 price is the only thing holding me back I would definitely bite at $250 or $200. Any ideas what black Friday will hold for the switch?

So I played the Nintendo switch for the first time at a target last week, and loved it! But the $300 price is the only thing holding me back I would definitely bite at $250 or $200. Any ideas what black Friday will hold for the switch?

I can almost guarantee there will not be a price drop. It's selling well and has the strongest stable of first party software to come out this year. They might discount that software but the hardware is likely staying at $300.

mj1108

It seems like it's become much more available in the last 2-3 weeks.

Meesh

So was Bayo on Switch a thing? If so when?

Don't suppose there are rumors about distant RPGs... not talking about anything final or fantasy.

Don't expect a price drop til at least next year. Even then, it will likely just be a bundle with a free game.

It's been heavily hinted that Platinum games is working on something. We will likely hear about it in January, if it exists.

DesmondGreer

Neo Member
Don't expect a price drop til at least next year. Even then, it will likely just be a bundle with a free game.

It's been heavily hinted that Platinum games is working on something. We will likely hear about it in January, if it exists.

Alright, thanks for the insight guys. I'm thinking I might put a console down on layaway and pay it off each week until Xmas as a gift for myself.

There's really no hope for a black Friday bunduru? Maybe a free game with console before xmas?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Alright, thanks for the insight guys. I'm thinking I might put a console down on layaway and pay it off each week until Xmas as a gift for myself.

There's really no hope for a black Friday bunduru? Maybe a free game with console before xmas?

Absolutely not. Switch is selling like hotcakes in most places and its biggest holiday title is yet to even release.

I know $300 seems steep but considering all the stuff you get with it, its not a bad proposition at all imo.

I finally bought one about 2 weeks ago, and let me tell you $300 is a damn good deal for this console. The software output for the short amount of time its been out is fantastic, and being able to game on a TV then instantly switch to handheld isn't oversold. Its a really really awesome feature. I'll game for a few hours on Zelda on my TV then when its close to bedtime just grab it and play a bit more in bed right before passing out. Its a novel concept but the execution is just great.

Don't let the price point scare you away from the system unless its truly out of your budget. Because its really worth the asking price. The only main issue I have is that no game is included at all. That's a bummer for sure.

DesmondGreer

Neo Member
I finally bought one about 2 weeks ago, and let me tell you $300 is a damn good deal for this console. The software output for the short amount of time its been out is fantastic, and being able to game on a TV then instantly switch to handheld isn't oversold. Its a really really awesome feature. I'll game for a few hours on Zelda on my TV then when its close to bedtime just grab it and play a bit more in bed right before passing out. Its a novel concept but the execution is just great.

Don't let the price point scare you away from the system unless its truly out of your budget. Because its really worth the asking price. The only main issue I have is that no game is included at all. That's a bummer for sure.

Yea I don't think the price point is what's truely scaring me off, i think it's the fact that no game is included meaning I'm out another 50$ for zelda used and 30$ for local tax so at 380 for a switch and just zelda.... kinda has me shook. I really didn't think I would enjoy playing it but I found myself in target for an hour just getting lost in zelda and mario odyssey demo

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Launch aligned, the 3DS had moved greater than 1.4 million units in America. And while both consoles launched in March, the 3DS had already seen a major price cut ($80 USD) in August, and was retailing at $169.99. For reference, the Switch has passed 2 million at $299 while dealing with supply constraints for most of the year. I don't see how such a result could be turned into a negative, especially considered how the 3DS ended up doing, but some seem to be trying their hardest.

In addition, at the end of 2011, the 3DS moved over 4 million units according to Nintendo. A similar holiday result for the Switch would put it right below the 5 million mark. Personally, I see the Switch passing 5 million this year as long as supply can continue to meet demand.

MoonFrog

Willing to bet that in five years time Colin will still be a moron.

Switch is en-route to its first holiday; it has a killer software suite going into said holiday. The launch has been harder than people assumed it would be. It is largely supply constrained in major territories. Etc. The thing is, so far, a success and it is going to be through December 2017.

I hope Nintendo has a compelling sleight for 2018 and Japanese third parties start showing up in a meaningful way. I really think they should pivot to expanded audience/leans into handheld stuff more next year. They already have the multiplayer catalog that does some of this work, but I want to see AC, Pokemon, and 2D Mario hit the system sooner rather than later. Feed the core on smaller games than Zelda/Mario.

At the moment, with how awesome and intelligent their effort behind Switch has been so far and the timing of it all, I think they can do it.

It's rare for a system to have Black Friday bundles in it's first year. 3ds did have bundles in it's first Black Friday but that system did bomb early on.

chemicals

You want to know who buys a Nintendo Switch? In my perspective, it just seems like a lot of the people who bought a Wii for the novelty of motion controls... The same people who snoozed on the WiiU. (I just attribute the whole situation to bad marketing. Wii and WiiU are too similarly named in my opinion.) but now the novelty is having the ability to have a portable/high end HD console that also hooks up to the TV. Hell, I didn't buy a Wii or a WiiU but the Switch appeals to me. I may never buy one. My 12 year old daughter told it to me like this: "I know I just got a ps4/psVR a few months ago and a New3DS a few months before that.... But all of my friends at school are playing on switch, so I need a Switch." lol

Good word of mouth doing its job. Just like expected.

Agreed - The Switch is a really good system. It's a good home system and a good portable system. I also love the fast simple dashboard (I wish the Xbox One's dashboard was this good). Finally, it has some good games which are fun to play. I like the new Picross game.

Gleethor

With all this talk of price, it's occurred to me that Switch is the first Nintendo system in a long time where the launch price felt appropriately proportional to the power of the hardware.

The Wii was a more expensive Gamecube with a new controller.

The 3DS was definitely overpriced due to the positive reaction from the initial reveal.

Wii U at $350 in 2012 for what it ultimately was is laughable in hindsight.

$300 for a Switch is actually reasonable considering the form factor and power.

DesmondGreer

Neo Member
You want to know who buys a Nintendo Switch? In my perspective, it just seems like a lot of the people who bought a Wii for the novelty of motion controls... The same people who snoozed on the WiiU. (I just attribute the whole situation to bad marketing. Wii and WiiU are too similarly named in my opinion.) but now the novelty is having the ability to have a portable/high end HD console that also hooks up to the TV. Hell, I didn't buy a Wii or a WiiU but the Switch appeals to me. I may never buy one. My 12 year old daughter told it to me like this: "I know I just got a ps4/psVR a few months ago and a New3DS a few months before that.... But all of my friends at school are playing on switch, so I need a Switch." lol

I could totally see kids influencing each other into wanting one, it was like that back in the day when the 360 had first dropped. I'm glad to see people truely enjoying this console and hopefully one day soon I can too, the whole ps4/xbox war stuff definitely soured me when the consoles were coming out. Video games used to just be about fun, experiences. Now its become this whole brand loyalty thing among many other facets of the hobby we all take part in.

Boke1879

Nintendo's success got Colin talking about gaming.

ihuhmZI.jpg

Don't even have an issue with the last two tweets. It's the first one that gets me. It's amazing when someone doesn't have to put up a facade how big their ego can truly get.

These journalists were his peers once upon a time. Makes you wonder what he really thought of them.

Yea I don't think the price point is what's truely scaring me off, i think it's the fact that no game is included meaning I'm out another 50$ for zelda used and 30$ for local tax so at 380 for a switch and just zelda.... kinda has me shook. I really didn't think I would enjoy playing it but I found myself in target for an hour just getting lost in zelda and mario odyssey demo

Yeah I totally understand. When I went to buy it I had to get Mario Kart and a Pro controller so the wife could play as well. Suddenly went from a $300 purchase to almost $500. No software out of the box is a for sure bummer.

I'll just say I don't regret it one bit. In fact if they can keep the software output up I think this could potentially be Nintendo's best system imo since the SNES

The ego on this fucking guy.

Sheez.

It's embarrassing. The dude is so freaking transparent at this point

DesmondGreer

Neo Member
Yeah I totally understand. When I went to buy it I had to get Mario Kart and a Pro controller so the wife could play as well. Suddenly went from a $300 purchase to almost $500. No software out of the box is a for sure bummer.

I'll just say I don't regret it one bit. In fact if they can keep the software output up I thi k this coukd potentially be Nintendo's best system imo since the SNES

It's embarrassing. The dude is so freaking transparent at this point

Just want to say thanks for sharing your experience so far with the switch I'm gonna just have to take a leap of faith with it one day soon.

I didn't buy the Switch because of its novelty. I bought it because I really like the 3DS and the Nintendo DS. I knew they were good systems and I suspected that the Switch would also be good because it would get lots of good software. I was right. Nintendo has done a fantastic job getting software on the system and they are getting a lot of good games. Some games are big budget games like Zelda. Others are smaller games like Picross (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/picross-s-switch) . The bottom line is they are releasing software people want and that is a good thing. Also, you will get all of Nintendo's software on the system for the first time. Their software will no longer be split between a home and portable system. Also, the 3DS and DS got a lot of Japanese software because both systems sold great in Japan (I believe both sold over 20 million units compared to only 10 million for the PS3 and about 5.5 for the PS4).

One final point I would like to make is the Switch is a good system. The hardware is well designed and it basically has the power of an Xbox 360 or PS3. That's not bad and the games will look fine.

Just want to say thanks for sharing your experience so far with the switch I'm gonna just have to take a leap of faith with it one day soon.

No problem, happy to share! Frankly I find myself surprised how much I'm loving this system. I'll just be honest I hated the Wii and the Wii U. I bought both at various points because I loved the SNES and the GameCube so much but I truly think the Wii and the U were maybe the worst hardware purchases I've ever made. So for me to be so optimistic about the Switch is saying something :)

I'm sure at some point when you make the jump it will be worth it if they keep the software output strong

Launch aligned, the 3DS had moved greater than 1.4 million units in America. And while both consoles launched in March, the 3DS had already seen a major price cut ($80 USD) in August, and was retailing at $169.99. For reference, the Switch has passed 2 million at $299 while dealing with supply constraints for most of the year. I don't see how such a result could be turned into a negative, especially considered how the 3DS ended up doing, but some seem to be trying their hardest.

In addition, at the end of 2011, the 3DS moved over 4 million units according to Nintendo. A similar holiday result for the Switch would put it right below the 5 million mark. Personally, I see the Switch passing 5 million this year as long as supply can continue to meet demand.

Thank you for this info.

Switch is completely shattering expectations. I am reminded of the greatest thread in GAF history

My favorite quote:

Zelda and Mario are not the system sellers they used to be.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

Since it came up, Nintendo has had a general direct* in either January or February every year going back to 2012, with the sole exception of 2016 (whereas they had one March 3, but after a Pokemon Direct in February). Nothing from September to February would actually be a fairly large gap going by the history, but they've been trending towards bigger gaps so who knows. Personally, I expect to hear something by January, as after Xenoblade releases the only game they'll have left with an announced date is Kirby Battle Royale. While Nintendo's known for keeping quiet, it's weird to realize they only have 5 games with known launch dates, 4 of which will be out in 1.5 months time.

*By general, I mean not focused on one game, so the Wii U direct of 2013 and the Switch presentation this year both count.

Edit: Changed in January to by January, as December directs aren't unprecedented.

MchugN

I bought a Switch on impulse a few weeks back. I just couldn't help it, I've owned every Nintendo console prior but felt burned by the Wii & Wii U so I had no intentions of buying a Switch. I primarily game on PS4, but also have an Xbox One and a fairly decent gaming PC. Golf Story has stole my heart. I also picked up Zelda, but have already played a good portion of it on Wii U. I'll get into it again eventually. My impression, it's way better of a system than I ever thought it would be. Can't wait for Mario, and Metroid even though it's a ways off. I'm glad this thing is doing well, it'll probably end up being my second favorite console this generation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
funny how the soft launch wound up being not so soft a launch, even though nintendo themselves seemed pretty prepared for a light reaction.

2018 is going to start getting crowded on the machine. there's a good (relatively niche?) 5-6 japanese games that should be revealed before the end of february that i think will really hit the mark with the right people. i really can't wait for this thing to really take off.

That's what I like to hear.

Top Bottom