• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch and head mounted display : VR speculation time

You're right, I haven't tried VR. But I never said that the Switch was going to be a viable option in that space. I did said that, if it does comes out, that the Switch solution won't be anything more than a proof-of-concept, a very cheap entry into a VR experience.

That's not nintendo's style though imo. If anything they are the opposite. They wait until an idea/market/tech is fully cooked before jumping in with their trademark polish.

Releasing half ass VR could have the opposite effect of turning their audience off of VR, and making them that much more skeptical and that much harder to sell to them a few years down the line once the tech is ready for prime time.

asagami_

Banned
The new R.O.B., 3DS AR card game side gimmick.

3ds__ar_cards_by_gant7ns2k.jpg

OMG IMAGINE A YUGIOH AR GAME!

Thraktor

Nvidia, i believe, is behind all this tech mainly. I want to point out to a research Nvidia did 2 years ago on VR display tech, called cascaded displays.

https://youtu.be/0XwaARRMbSA

nvidia-cascaded-display-vs-normal-display-resolution.jpg

nvidia-additive-multiplicative-cascaded-displays-resolution.jpg

nvidia-cascaded-display.png

Or it's just a dead patent that will never come to fruition, but i just want to point out a possible scenario.

This is interesting tech, but it would almost certainly be cheaper and simpler to just use a higher resolution display in the first place, and you would have to render at at higher resolution to support it anyway. It seems more focussed at cases where the bleeding edge of display tech isn't quite good enough (i.e. you can't make an 8K screen small enough, but you can use two 4K screens instead). However, it seems to be limited to LCD displays, rather than OLED, which would limit its usefulness in high-end headsets.

So with the patent dump from Nintendo, we have a lot more info. Now we know that they have been looking at turning switch into an HMD.

No, now we know that someone thought the idea worth patenting so that nobody else does it. Nintendo patents a lot of things they never plan on doing, as does Apple, as does Microsoft, as does Sony. And many of the ideas have never been attempted even by those companies.

I hope Nintendo get into VR as many of their franchises would be perfect for it but not a half assed job, the phone headset stuff is rubbish and PSVR is as basic as it should get when it comes to VR. Ideally Nintendo would go third party because proper VR isn't cheap and NIntendo doesn't have the best record of third party support but damn after playing Windlands I want Metroid in VR so much, the atmosphere and the exploration would be amazing I would also love a Mario Galaxy style platformer in VR as well.

I don't know all that much about current VR products but do they typically contain wide-angle lenses like those detailed by the patent:

[0781] With such a configuration, a user can view images on the display 12 when the HMD accessory 230 with the main unit 2 attached thereto is mounted on the head of the user. That is, the HMD accessory 230 with the main unit 2 attached thereto functions as a so-called HMD. Note that the HMD accessory 230 may present images of a wide viewing angle to a user by enlarging the viewing angle of the images on the display 12 through the lenses. This can enhance the sense of immersion for a user looking at the images. Note that the main unit 2 may perform a predetermined conversion process on the images displayed on the display 12 so that appropriate images are viewed through the lenses.

I'm assuming yes, but I just want to be sure this isn't doing anything new.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
That's not nintendo's style though imo. If anything they are the opposite. They wait until an idea/market/tech is fully cooked before jumping in with their trademark polish.

Releasing half ass VR could have the opposite effect of turning their audience off of VR, and making them that much more skeptical and that much harder to sell to them a few years down the line once the tech is ready for prime time.
It all depends on Nintendo's ambition with VR. They might not see this as an important segment to capitalize on (they've already failed twice with 3D display tech), they might use the tech, as I've mentioned already, pretty much like AR with the 3DS.

Cuburt

Nvidia, i believe, is behind all this tech mainly. I want to point out to a research Nvidia did 2 years ago on VR display tech, called cascaded displays.

https://youtu.be/0XwaARRMbSA

Awesome video.

Things just got really interesting.

I knew there had to be other ways to increase fidelity besides brute forcing IQ by increasing resolution. The latter method pretty much guarantees that quality VR never becomes more affordable as the tech improves since it just increases the screen resolution as well as the power of the hardware needed to take advantage of it.

If Nvidia and Nintendo pull this off, the Switch will be such a homerun for both companies.

Nzyme32

640 x 720 per eye VR - yep that sound crystal clear

Across a 6.2 inch screen - yep, that is glorious ppi right there.

#happening

#omgrumourmongeringworks

Cuburt

One of the things that really points to them looking at this is the fact that both the joycon and core unit have accelerometers and gyros. If they weren't to be used independently they they would be contained in just the joycon for cost savings, so presumably the core unit has motion tracking when not used with the joycon or in addition to them which is interesting.
Good catch.

It's so obvious, that it's staring people right in the face and they don't see it. In fact, from how we've seen the Switch used, there is no reason you'd be using the motion sensors in the Switch since they would either be held in your hands while attached to the Joycon or detached while the screen is either docked or propped up with a kickstand.

Not only that, it would seem the Switch has one sensor the Joycon don't, if I'm reading it correctly, which are magnetometers. That is inside-out positional tracking, the same that the Wii U Gamepad had or GearVR and the Google Pixel has for VR. That may not give you "roomscale" but it should allow for a good range of VR experiences that don't include physically walking around, which I would assume are a majority of them, of if that isn't true, soon it may be.

edit: reading about the magent sensor in the patent, it would seem it's not a magnetometer but it would be used to detect when the Switch is docked to turn off the screen.

Effect

Wasn't sure if I should bump this but what the hell.

Given that we've actually seen the Switch's screen now (people have had hands on with it and we have video of its quality) and seen games, even though they're not fully taking advantage of the system since some are ports, indie offerings, and not fully made 100% for the Switch running on it (from Zelda, Mario to Bomberman R to Sonic) does that some how change any thoughts, better or worse, regarding what was presented in the opening post? Even just on the proof of concept scale?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wasn't sure if I should bump this but what the hell.

Given that we've actually seen the Switch's screen now (people have had hands on with it and we have video of its quality) and seen games, even though they're not fully taking advantage of the system since some are ports, indie offerings, and not fully made 100% for the Switch running on it (from Zelda, Mario to Bomberman R to Sonic) does that some how change any thoughts, better or worse, regarding what was presented in the opening post? Even just on the proof of concept scale?

The screen is the least of their worries. I'm in love with the Switch but it would be a shit VR device. It's sorely underpowered for VR, and it's too large and heavy to be worn on the face. And, yes, of course that 720p screen would be awful.

I hope to god they don't shoehorn in VR with the Switch. Even if they later release a version with better specs. VR is amazing, but the industry is taking a hit from shitty first experiences from consumers from devices like google cardboard and gear VR. Even PSVR is a pile of shit compared to the Vive.

I personally really want VR to take off, but mediocre first impressions have killed tech innovations in the past (see: 3D) and it makes me nervous that a vast majority of first-impressions are *not* on the Vive or Rift, which are really the only two VR experiences worth a damn right now.

(Source: I own literally every consumer VR device available.)

Top Bottom