• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch could eventually support external USB drive. No limit on MicroSD size

MCD

@Amazon 256 Micro SD XC cards are @ $170 range...

If this was 64gig internal I can see myself waiting a bit for USB Storage support but 32gig means I have to shell out at launch asap.

Edit: 200 gigs seems like a better option. Huge jump in price between the two. wtf

EDarkness

As people are only reading the thread title, a mod should really add NOT AT LAUNCH to the usb storage, and it might never even be a thing.

Oh, I'm sure they'll add it. Once there are a lot of games and people start complaining about space...boom...HDD support. My guess it'll be a few months, but I expect it to happen.

CaVaYeRo

As people are only reading the thread title, a mod should really add NOT AT LAUNCH to the usb storage, and it might never even be a thing.

Indeed, it is ready to support it but not activated due to aforementioned reasons... kind of tricky to explain as it really is there, just not allowed.

If it's like the Vita whereby you can backup games to a hard drive, that would be a compromise that I would accept. Obviously, having them be running straight from the hard drive (as in the WiiU and the Xbone) would be preferable.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hope games can run off the HDD, instead of needing to be moved to the SD card or internal memory. That still wouldn't excuse the awful decision to only provide 32 GB out of the box, but it would make TV Mode a little bit more attractive.

tkscz

It's a nice option, and should be there as an option for people who aren't really going to take their console anywhere. I'll just used an SDXC as I do plan to use it more as a handheld than a TV console

Hero

I mean, if true I'm glad to hear it but I want this information checked with NoA and NCL. Easy for miscommunication/misinformation right now.

Has the exact issue I expected if they were to somehow try this.

I can vaguely see some solutions, but am not sure of the technical requirements to deliver them. At the very least you'd need the system readily able to transfer data between the internal and external storage, and to do so in decent time. No-one would want play Zelda on the go if, after saying 'Yes' to 'Do you want this game ready for handheld play?', you had to wait around an hour before you could take it out of the dock.

If USB drive support is as easy as flipping a switch, how about you go about doing that like...now? Would alleviate a lot of the concerns the digital-only crowd has, even if it messes with the "aesthetic".

If USB drive support is as easy as flipping a switch, how about you go about doing that like...now? Would alleviate a lot of the concerns the digital-only crowd has, even if it messes with the "aesthetic".

It's not an aesthetic problem - you can't actually take out the Switch from the dock if you're playing a game from a USB drive.

- Cannot write on game cards (not even for game saves, it seems), all goes on the internal 32GB flash memory.

Yikes.... Hopefully patch sizes aren't as ridiculous as they are on the PS4/XBO or else this will be a problem.

CaVaYeRo

Yeah I actually don't see much of a problem here as I have tons of downloads on my 3DS. I do have HDD hooked to my Wii U, but I'm keeping the portable philosophy in mind (actually pretty pumped for Mario Kart alone lol) for the Switch. So yeah I'll have to save for a big enough SD card.

Yikes.... Hopefully patch sizes aren't as ridiculous as they are on the PS4/XBO or else this will be a problem.

Well they also mentioned costs before on this thread. But as long as user accounts are still anchored to the systems, I would've liked to at least have game saves stored on the card itself - used to trade a bunch of games with friends.

test_account

XP-39C²
So, the leaks about no USB drives supports were bollocks.

It supports both MicroSD and USB drives ?
I think those leaks are accurate. This doesnt confirm that Nintendo will go with this solution eventhough its possible. Sony never did it with PS3 (and probably not with PS4 either) eventhough its fully possible, proven through custom firmware. Who knows what will happen in the future though, but right now the leaks seems accurate.

Kathian

Banned
Ok if they can't write on the cart makes sense to have internal storage then.

Don't see the point in the harddrive when it means switching games about constantly.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Err I mean that's great and all but Im surprised it doesn't support external USB out of the box.

duckroll

How is the Switch connected to the Dock in the first place? What would the data connection between the Switch and the Dock?

kami_sama

How is the Switch connected to the Dock in the first place? What would the data connection between the Switch and the Dock?

USB-C, USB 3.1 or 3.0 we don't know.
Everything, power, hdmi and data goes trough the USB-C connector.
That's the beautiful thing about it, it can be used as a lot of things, at the same time.

SD Card support was a good move, we don't want another Vita Memory card problem again. If you are going completely digital then HDD support would be good for home and 256GB SD Card would be fine for on the go.

Unless Nintendo get digital pricing spot on, I will just buy physical games and then I can get away with the built in memory or a smaller SD Card, depending if many games get DLC or patches (normally Nintendo games don't need patching, so hopefully that will still be the case here)

Shahadan

I'm not seeing a HDD work with the concept of the console. Until it exists I file this under bullshit statement like "sure we'll maybe look at letting you use two gamepads at the same time!"

There's a single USB Type-C connector that carries power, data, and DisplayPort video (which the dock adapts to HDMI).

"No limit"
"2TB limit"

Not that anyone will need more than 2TB, mind you.

I think what they meant is that there's no system-imposed limit on SD card capacity. 2TB is the SDXC specification's maximum.

I'm sure they could be supporting it at launch but it would be against the whole idea of being able to take (all) your games from your TV on the go.

They should just let you decide where to install a game, internal or external storage, and than give a warning that you can't play it in portable mode if it's installed to the external storage...

-shadow-

I can see why, people will complain about corrupted data because they undocked the system when the system is reading from the external HDD. I wonder how they'll work around this however.

kami_sama

In that case I see no reason why they can't have external USBs working by launch. I mean...

I don't think it's due to hardware, but because they want you to have the same experience between docked and portable modes.
The major problem I see is that if you're playing a game that is installed on a hdd, you can't switch to the portable mode.

duckroll

I don't think it's due to hardware, but because they want you to have the same experience between docked and portable modes.
The major problem I see is that if you're playing a game that is installed on a hdd, you can't switch to the portable mode.

Why not? Why can't you plug the HDD into the Switch directly and use it on tabletop mode?

kami_sama

@Amazon 256 Micro SD XC cards are @ $170 range...

If this was 64gig internal I can see myself waiting a bit for USB Storage support but 32gig means I have to shell out at launch asap.

Edit: 200 gigs seems like a better option. Huge jump in price between the two. wtf

I think it's because the only 256gb mSD available at the moment is a higher end model that the 200 one. Like the price difference between an evo or evo+ and the pro models from Samsung.

Why not? Why can't you plug the HDD into the Switch directly and use it on tabletop mode?
I don't think so, there's no enough space for the connector or cable when in tabletop mode.

M3d10n

There are space inside to house a HDD lol

Yeah, combine this with the back port being USB 3.0 and it's dead obvious they are planning some sort of HDD support.

The experience is probably what they are still looking at. The "safest" approach would be to use the HDD as a fridge like the initial SD card support in the Wii, where you couldn't run Wiiware/VC games from the SD card and could only use it to stash games. I imagine such feature should show up eventually, I mean, just look at that dock, it's clearly designed to have an external HDD thrown in it.

FyreWulff

I can see why, people will complain about corrupted data because they undocked the system when the system is reading from the external HDD. I wonder how they'll work around this however.

easiest solution:

abstract file read API blah blah etc. Tell users when they launch an HDD game to not remove the Switch from it's dock until they exit the game. They're on their own if they decide to pull it out anyway.

more work:

copy data from HDD to internal storage on launch. really slow, though, not feasible. They did this on Wii.

even more work:

add something where games can detect undocking. have them throw up a panic screen if you undock an HDD game, like when you opened the tray on PS2 and GC games.

for the record i don't have an external HDD for my One yet so I have no idea what Microsoft's solution was on the One if you unplug an HDD there. Nintendo will probably copy whatever they did.

There's a USB 3.0 port on the back of the dock next to the power and HDMI ports:

EY3ry10.jpg

If they could pull off a quick and easy way to transfer between an external HDD and system storage/microSD for digital games/content, it could work really well.

Any solution to that would probably be very unintuitive.

Games that remain on the HDD would need to be closed when you take the Switch out of the Dock.

Then again, it would be the same thing as removing a disc from a console mid playthrough, so yeah it could work.

If it's like the Vita whereby you can backup games to a hard drive, that would be a compromise that I would accept. Obviously, having them be running straight from the hard drive (as in the WiiU and the Xbone) would be preferable.

I didn't know my Vita could do this.

Nintendo better get a external hard drive solution working before Christmas. I'll seriously need it.

kami_sama

There are space inside to house a HDD lol

I don't think it ahs enough space for a whole hdd, one of the superslim ones maybe, but the ac and hdmi cables would make it very tight.
The experience is probably what they are still looking at. The "safest" approach would be to use the HDD as a fridge like the initial SD card support in the Wii, where you couldn't run Wiiware/VC games from the SD card and could only use it to stash games. I imagine such feature should show up eventually, I mean, just look at that dock, it's clearly designed to have an external HDD thrown in it.

Good idea. That way you don't have to download them again.

M3d10n

Any solution to that would probably be very unintuitive.

Games that remain on the HDD would need to be closed when you take the Switch out of the Dock.

Then again, it would be the same thing as removing a disc from a console mid playthrough, so yeah it could work.

Yeah, this is the easiest way: deal with it the same way they deal with removing the cartridge mid game.

They are probably testing different approaches.

duckroll

I don't think so, there's no enough space for the connector or cable when in tabletop mode.

Hi, let me tell you about my brilliant upcoming invention. It is a simple and cheap USB-C converter + stand which is portable and light, you plug the Switch into it, put it on the table, and there's another USB outlet behind where you can either use another USB cable to charge it, or plug a HDD in.

WOW.

In that case I see no reason why they can't have external USBs working by launch. I mean...

It's not like there are enough games announced to not fit on a 64 GB card in the first few months.
Eh beaten to the obvious joke.

Anyway, if they implement a solution, I'll probably just get a 128 or 200 GB card and an SSD for the Dock.

kami_sama

Hi, let me tell you about my brilliant upcoming invention. It is a simple and cheap USB-C converter + stand which is portable and light, you plug the Switch into it, put it on the table, and there's another USB outlet behind where you can either use another USB cable to charge it, or plug a HDD in.

WOW.

Tabletop mode for me is when you use the stand and let it sit on a surface, not when you use the dock, that for me is docked mode.

But it's semantics, if we use your definition, it could work, although there's various technological problems that might have to be solved.

Top Bottom